Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fran Bascom has passed away; Days former casting director
Topic Started: Jun 3 2013, 08:56 PM (1,229 Views)
Ellie

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/fran-bascom-died-casting-director-tv-movies/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Jason, any more info on this guy from the comments?

Got my AFTRA card from Fran on D.O.O.L. And she cast my film. Wonderful Lady &Warm human being. You will be missed
Comment by kenny McCabe

I know I've heard before, but how much do you have to do to get an AFTRA card?

Ellie

Sheri Anderson ‏@sheriawriter
Nothing but lovely memories of one of the sweetest and BEST casting directors in town. Rest in Peace, Fran.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

Martha Madison ‏@Marth27
Just learned of the passing of Fran Bascom. She was #Days casting director forever & hired me as #Belle. Loved her! She will be so missed!

Ellie

http://daysofourlives.about.com/b/2013/06/03/former-days-casting-director-fran-bascom-dead.htm

Jason47
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Frances Carbonari Bascom

"Days" Casting Director, 1992-2007

IN LOVING MEMORY

1927-2013

Deadline.com has reported that veteran casting director Fran Bascom, 86, passed away on Sunday, June 2, 2013. She had been feeling poorly of late but was still very energetic until she became ill last night and was taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, CA, where she died. Bascom, who had her own casting agency, Fran Bascom Casting, cast such popular shows as Lou Grant, Designing Women, Evening Shade, Hearts Afire and soap Days Of Our Lives. According to IMDb, her most recent job was on last year’s Hank Williams biopic The Last Ride starring Henry Thomas and Kaley Cuoco. Her Casting Society of America bio noted that her passion was theatre, and she volunteered her casting expertise at various small theaters in LA where she was always on the lookout for new talent. Bascom was predeceased by her daughter, Cheryl, in 2007.

Bascom, who was born Frances Carbonari in Buffalo, New York in January 1927, was the casting director for "Days of Our Lives" from 1992-2007. During her 15 years with "Days", she cast hundreds of actors, including Jensen Ackles, Krista Allen, Victor Alfieri, Jaime Lyn Bauer, Brandon Beemer, Ashley Benson, Blake Berris, Nadia Bjorlin, Steve Blackwood, Tanya Boyd, Kyle Brandt, Darin Brooks, Matt Cedeno, Jason Cook, Roark Critchlow, Patrika Darbo, Bryan Dattilo, Eileen Davidson, Farah Fath, Shelley Hennig, Brody Hutzler, Renee Jones, Jay Kenneth Johnson, Lauren Koslow, Heather Lindell, Kyle Lowder, Martha Madison, Rachel Melvin, Julianne Morris, Austin Peck, Julie Pinson, James Scott, Kevin Spirtas, Kirsten Storms, Alexis Thorpe, Alison Sweeney, William Utay, Mark Valley, Eric Winter and Arianne Zucker.

One of the first people that Bascom cast for "Days" was Alison Sweeney, who recently celebrated her 20th anniversary in the role of Sami Brady. In Sweeney's book, "All the Days of My Life (So Far)", she remembers her first meeting with Bascom in 1992: "I was a bundle of nervous energy leading up to the audition. When the day finally arrived...I drove to the interview, which was with Fran Bascom...Fran is a great lady...and I was really anxious about meeting her. But she was so nice that, almost right away, I felt much more comfortable...As I was walking out the door, Fran stopped me in my tracks and pulled me aside. "Ali", she said, "you did a great job."..."Look", Fran continued, "we're holding the screen test on Wednesday. Ali, I want you to come back on Wednesday. Can you make it?" I couldn't believe Fran was telling me this right then and there. She seemed to have instantly made a decision that I might be right for the part." Sweeney would return for that audition, and 20 years later, is still playing Sami.

Jason47
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Jun 3 2013, 09:02 PM
Jason, any more info on this guy from the comments?

Got my AFTRA card from Fran on D.O.O.L. And she cast my film. Wonderful Lady &Warm human being. You will be missed
Comment by kenny McCabe
Just checked the cast list. He's listed as a Bailiff in 1998.

am103
Member Avatar

Jason47
Jun 3 2013, 10:54 PM
Bascom, who was born Frances Carbonari in Buffalo, New York in January 1927, was the casting director for "Days of Our Lives" from 1992-2007. During her 15 years with "Days", she cast hundreds of actors, including Jensen Ackles, Krista Allen, Victor Alfieri, Jaime Lyn Bauer, Brandon Beemer, Ashley Benson, Blake Berris, Nadia Bjorlin, Steve Blackwood, Tanya Boyd, Kyle Brandt, Darin Brooks, Matt Cedeno, Jason Cook, Roark Critchlow, Patrika Darbo, Bryan Dattilo, Eileen Davidson, Farah Fath, Shelley Hennig, Brody Hutzler, Renee Jones, Jay Kenneth Johnson, Lauren Koslow, Heather Lindell, Kyle Lowder, Martha Madison, Rachel Melvin, Julianne Morris, Austin Peck, Julie Pinson, James Scott, Kevin Spirtas, Kirsten Storms, Alexis Thorpe, Alison Sweeney, William Utay, Mark Valley, Eric Winter and Arianne Zucker.
I am STUNNED by that list! That lady clearly knew what she was doing!

R.I.P. Ms. Bascom.

AFaithL

RIP. What a talent.

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

R.I.P. Indeed a talent, and loved that Sheri Anderson & Martha Madison took to twitter to tell it. Sweet story from Alison S.

jam6242
Member Avatar

James Reynolds ‏@JreynoldsJames

Fran Bascom RIP. She was a wonderful person. A great help at the Fremont Centre Theatre and loved actors. We will miss her.

https://twitter.com/JreynoldsJames/status/341767697824096257

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

One of the best casting directors in the soap business....she is responsible for SO MUCH WIN at DAYS!

OliveAnn

am103
Jun 3 2013, 11:04 PM
Jason47
Jun 3 2013, 10:54 PM
I am STUNNED by that list! That lady clearly knew what she was doing!

R.I.P. Ms. Bascom.
An impressive list indeed. Whoever inherited her post stepped into big shoes.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Barry Cutler, who played the rhyming Parrot Man in Aremid back in 1995-1996, emailed me this nice remembrance of Fran:

"If you are or were an actor in Los Angeles, especially if you've performed in theatre, you encountered and, at the very least, appreciated this wonderful and supportive woman, Fran Bascom. I know of no other casting director who went out of her way to attend theatre, search out new talent and encourage those she already knew.

Personally, she seemed to show up at just about every play in which I ever performed in the greater Los Angeles area. Most of the time, when I encountered her after a performance, she was kindly flattering and supportive. But I most fondly remember her approaching me after one play, for which I'd sent invitations, and said, "Barry, you know I love you as an actor and I appreciate your invitations. But please don't invite me to anymore plays as bad as this one."

She seemed to remember everybody, no matter how many years may have passed. Once, after I'd moved back to NYC for a few years, she contacted me through my last LA agent, offering me a day-player role on the soap Days of Our Lives, but encouraging me to return because she believed it would become a recurring character. And it did. When the salary wasn't enough to cover keeping places in New York and L.A, she -not my meek agent- talked the Days' producers into raising my pay.

I'm sure those of you who knew her have more such stories of her kindness and generosity of spirit.

Sadly, Fran passed away last week. Yesterday, I was told that there will be a memorial for her on Friday, June 14. It was suggested that, in Fran's memory, one might contribute to an animal shelter."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply