Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Wednesday, June 5th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 5 2013, 06:36 AM (14,811 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 5 2013, 10:05 AM
Matt
Jun 5 2013, 10:02 AM
My problem with JJ's SORASing is that they seem to have barely SORASed Abby at all. For Pete's sake, she was born on screen in 1992 and she STILL seems to be grouped into that college-aged bracket when she should, by all logic, be regarded as older. I think she even celebrated her 16th birthday in 2004. Of course, you can't really keep Abby the same age distance from JJ (timespans always get compressed with SORASing), she should STILL at least be written as mid-late 20s, not some simpering early-20s ingenue co-ed. I mean, girlfriend is only 5 months to the day YOUNGER than Brady.
Days seriously seems to be stuck in a weird time loop. No one seems to be able to break out of their original age bracket.
That does seem to be the case....I can't wait for the next WTD storyline with Hope :P
Online Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

blueskies
Jun 5 2013, 10:10 AM
lysie
Matt
My problem with JJ's SORASing is that they seem to have barely SORASed Abby at all. For Pete's sake, she was born on screen in 1992 and she STILL seems to be grouped into that college-aged bracket when she should, by all logic, be regarded as older. I think she even celebrated her 16th birthday in 2004. Of course, you can't really keep Abby the same age distance from JJ (timespans always get compressed with SORASing), she should STILL at least be written as mid-late 20s, not some simpering early-20s ingenue co-ed. I mean, girlfriend is only 5 months to the day YOUNGER than Brady.
Days seriously seems to be stuck in a weird time loop. No one seems to be able to break out of their original age bracket.
That does seem to be the case....I can't wait for the next WTD storyline with Hope :P
Why? It'll still end up being in Bo. They can conceive babies with an ocean between them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

lysie
Matt
Part of the reason for that, I think, is that everyone kind of... looks great. Like, in the 80's, you hardly saw the "older parents" kiss or anything like that. I mean Bill and Susan basically said that Doug and Julie's romantic life was over when Kristian was cast. But there was a shift in that in the late 90's and 00's, when the teen scene started, but the adults still looked great and had romantic storylines. So now, we have Bope, J&M, Jen and Dan (sorry, but...) who are, to their credit, written in the same age group they were 10 years ago. Though they are grandparents and now greatgrandparents, they're still romantic leads. So everyone is kind of stuck generationally, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And there also seems to be certain "fixed point" SORASings where you have to essentially reset your chronology. In the 70s, it happened when Mike & David were SORASed (rather extremely, tbqh). It happened again with the next set in the 80s with Hope/Melissa/Jennifer and it all stayed fairly constant from that point on until the Last Blast group (which, IMO, was a SORASing clusterfuck). Ever since then, unfortunately, it's been a whacked out hodgepodge of random SORASings without any regard to anything that's happened before. IMO, all of the current SORASings/age groupings really have to be in relation to whatever age Will is because of how hold Sami/Lucas are/were when Will was born. As much as everyone loves James Scott & EJ, bringing him on was one of the worst things the show ever did in regards to its timeline and the chronology of its own characters.
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 5 2013, 10:12 AM
blueskies
lysie
Matt
Why? It'll still end up being in Bo. They can conceive babies with an ocean between them.
True. But besides Marlena's miraculous pregnancy with Roman's kid, she'd be one of the oldest mothers on the show.

And I'm still irked that they made Zack Bo's.
Online Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 5 2013, 10:14 AM
lysie
Matt
Part of the reason for that, I think, is that everyone kind of... looks great. Like, in the 80's, you hardly saw the "older parents" kiss or anything like that. I mean Bill and Susan basically said that Doug and Julie's romantic life was over when Kristian was cast. But there was a shift in that in the late 90's and 00's, when the teen scene started, but the adults still looked great and had romantic storylines. So now, we have Bope, J&M, Jen and Dan (sorry, but...) who are, to their credit, written in the same age group they were 10 years ago. Though they are grandparents and now greatgrandparents, they're still romantic leads. So everyone is kind of stuck generationally, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think.
I see what you're saying. I definitely think they could do a better job though. I mean, keeping them as romantic leads is kind of ruining them. The current baby story is handling this sort of better but they still treat the vets like they're in their 30s, the 30s like they're 20s, and the 20s like they're teens. I've seen Marlena in enough triangles and romantic angst. I'd like her to do something else. I've seen Sami in enough triangles, wedding mishaps, and baby stories. I just wish they'd let everyone grow up a little bit.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

blueskies
Jun 5 2013, 10:20 AM
lysie
blueskies
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
True. But besides Marlena's miraculous pregnancy with Roman's kid, she'd be one of the oldest mothers on the show.

Don't forget Maggie and baby Daniel.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Ellie
Jun 5 2013, 09:54 AM
Matt
Jun 5 2013, 09:42 AM
I don't mind SORASing as long as it's a gradual SORAS at the same rate as a characters peers in the same age group which doesn't muddy birth orders. IMO, a good general rule for SORASing is 15-16 years in the span of 10, but only if the parents are at an age to support it and everyone else in the same "generation" is aged in relation.
Very well put. I think the dilemma they usually have is that there isn't much "drama" for characters from let's say age 7 to age 15. They're doing well with Ciara, but she's just a player in the larger story. If she were to have her own story with her peers, what would it be about, lol? So I agree, if they can age an entire group to avoid that issue, it makes a lot of sense.
they did pretty well with just minor SORAS-es for Shawn D. He got aged a few years every time he was recast through the 90s, & then there was a tiny jump when BB took over from JC. Shawn D, had he not been SORASed, would be 26 now. With SORASing, he's probably only just over 30.
(the fact that there are characters that were born almost 10 years later who are now about 10 years older is just weird.)

Claire, like many of the kids today, was only aged so that she was able to have more lines & play a bigger role in a story.
Online Profile Goto Top

Ellie

Matt
As much as everyone loves James Scott & EJ, bringing him on was one of the worst things the show ever did in regards to its timeline and the chronology of its own characters.
I know. They should have just brought on the character and made him a DiMera another way (if they wanted to go that route).
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 5 2013, 10:25 AM
Matt
As much as everyone loves James Scott & EJ, bringing him on was one of the worst things the show ever did in regards to its timeline and the chronology of its own characters.
I know. They should have just brought on the character and made him a DiMera another way (if they wanted to go that route).
He could have been Benji. Or Tony and Anna's. Ahhhhh. What could have been.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Ellie
Matt
I still say that not making EJ the long-lost child of Tony & Anna that Anna gave birth to after she left Salem was a mistake. Granted, for 20 years I never really know/remember whether any story is Tony or Andre since the made all of THAT one giant clusterfuck, so he could very well have been Andre & Anna's (which, IMO, would've been a whole other ball of interesting story)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Of course, I also say that not making Rex/Cassie Tony & Anna's was a mistake as well.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I have no issue with SORASing at all....or deSORASing
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 5 2013, 10:28 AM
Of course, I also say that not making Rex/Cassie Tony & Anna's was a mistake as well.
But not as big a mistake as making them Roman and Kate's.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Matt
And there also seems to be certain "fixed point" SORASings where you have to essentially reset your chronology. In the 70s, it happened when Mike & David were SORASed (rather extremely, tbqh). It happened again with the next set in the 80s with Hope/Melissa/Jennifer and it all stayed fairly constant from that point on until the Last Blast group (which, IMO, was a SORASing clusterfuck). Ever since then, unfortunately, it's been a whacked out hodgepodge of random SORASings without any regard to anything that's happened before. IMO, all of the current SORASings/age groupings really have to be in relation to whatever age Will is because of how hold Sami/Lucas are/were when Will was born. As much as everyone loves James Scott & EJ, bringing him on was one of the worst things the show ever did in regards to its timeline and the chronology of its own characters.
I still say Ej should have been brought in as a teenager...and he could be a love interest for Will now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

blueskies
lysie
blueskies
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

At least they explain it writing wise something they never did with ciara
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dee-anne

Ellie
Jun 5 2013, 09:54 AM
Matt
Jun 5 2013, 09:42 AM
I don't mind SORASing as long as it's a gradual SORAS at the same rate as a characters peers in the same age group which doesn't muddy birth orders. IMO, a good general rule for SORASing is 15-16 years in the span of 10, but only if the parents are at an age to support it and everyone else in the same "generation" is aged in relation.
Very well put. I think the dilemma they usually have is that there isn't much "drama" for characters from let's say age 7 to age 15. They're doing well with Ciara, but she's just a player in the larger story. If she were to have her own story with her peers, what would it be about, lol? So I agree, if they can age an entire group to avoid that issue, it makes a lot of sense.
I don't see the point. They can just about write for the adults that are on canvass. Also, there are good actors on the show that we hardly see because they are not given any story. I like the actress Abby. I think she would be good given a decent story but, most times I was bored with her Chad and Cameron. It is quite obvious that they cannot write an interesting triangle among other things. Plus, these kids are cute, and it's part of their charm. I would not want them to soras them. Just Let them grow up on the show naturally. No new people to replace them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 5 2013, 10:35 AM
Matt
But not as big a mistake as making them Roman and Kate's.
I did not mind rex as Kate child but with caddie every day I more mad than I was than
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Alice!

Deidre has such a beautiful smile, and an infectious laugh. But oh man, that outfit. It seemed to never go away.
Online Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Matt
Ellie
Matt
I still say that not making EJ the long-lost child of Tony & Anna that Anna gave birth to after she left Salem was a mistake. Granted, for 20 years I never really know/remember whether any story is Tony or Andre since the made all of THAT one giant clusterfuck, so he could very well have been Andre & Anna's (which, IMO, would've been a whole other ball of interesting story)
SOOOOO much this...and I really thought they were going there when they initially brought Thaao back...and then Leann a month or so later. What a damned shame they didn't follow through with it - it could have been some great stuff and would have avoided so much of the timeline mess we're now left with.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic