Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMC/OLTL: On HIATUS!
Topic Started: Jun 5 2013, 08:00 PM (2,288 Views)
Nate
Member Avatar

https://www.thewrap.com/media/article/all-my-children-one-life-live-hiatus-over-labor-dispute-exclusive-95676
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

So they're blaming yet another union for their inability to get their shit together?

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

Posted Image
Edited by bellajewel, Jun 5 2013, 08:20 PM.

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

why?;

natdot99
Member Avatar

Here my thoughts :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:
PP had plenty of time to get their crap together. :redface:

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Absolutely ridiculous.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Just pull the plug already! These people are already running the shows into the ground with their stupid decisions. I can't speak to the creative merits of the shows as I STILL can't watch them. But they really suck at the soap production business. What a shame. So close.

nightfan

Grandpa Hughes
Jun 5 2013, 08:51 PM
Just pull the plug already! These people are already running the shows into the ground with their stupid decisions. I can't speak to the creative merits of the shows as I STILL can't watch them. But they really suck at the soap production business. What a shame. So close.
Is this really PP's fault? Sounds like the union is leveling an accusation, without evidence, and because of how problematic unions can be to begin with, THAT'S what's shutting the show down.
PP did nothing wrong, or illegal, just from the sound of it (and fairly, what very limited information we have from the article posted). Based on that article, the union is the one stirring up trouble and hurting our shows.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I'm siding with PP on this one.

I think negotiating a per-episode deal is a bad idea in a format like this where one expensive episode will be sandwiched between many cheap and under-budget ones. A couple of expensive episodes out of 40 for one series should not be worth permanently putting all of their workers out of their jobs.

If they could turn this into a solid success there would be room to negotiate wage increases down the line. Destabilizing it when it's just off the ground is silly.
Edited by Drew, Jun 5 2013, 09:06 PM.

nightfan

Drew
Jun 5 2013, 09:05 PM
I'm siding with PP on this one.

I think negotiating a per-episode deal is a bad idea in a format like this where one expensive episode will be sandwiched between many cheap and under-budget ones. A couple of expensive episodes out of 40 for one series should not be worth permanently putting all of their workers out of their jobs.

If they could turn this into a solid success there would be room to negotiate wage increases down the line. Destabilizing it when it's just off the ground is silly.
Amen. Some networks would cancel shows just from all the headaches of it all.
What the unions are doing is SHAMEFUL.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I really can't side with PP on this. It just seems like every five minutes there is some problem but it isn't their fault. I give them credit for trying, but each story makes it harder for me to see it lasting very long.

annie21

I just keep reminding myself that they're all in uncharted territory here. The few indie web soaps we have had thus far have not had to deal with unions and the like to this extent. So PP and all involved are kind of having to break new ground at every step along the way. I'm not anti-union, but it's likely all their rules are geared toward dealing with major networks and the old way of doing business. As with radio and tv in their early days, people are going to have to come up with a new paradigm for how they calculate costs and benefits and pretty much everything else. I wish they'd all just stay cool, be patient, and see obstacles as opportunities. It's a brave new world they're in.

Tammy
Member Avatar

IMO I think this thing looming is why they cut back to two episodes a week.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Glad I wasn't greedy and didn't watch these shows everyday (or every couple of days as has been the case over the past week or so).

I must have between 15-20 shows of both All My Children and One Life to Live that I need to get viewed and now I'm really going to have to stretch them out -- all the way until August and September when (or should I say IF) they come back at all.

Ellie

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/oltl-associate-producer-addresses-hiatus

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

FAIL

dragonflies
Member Avatar

nightfan
Jun 5 2013, 08:57 PM
Grandpa Hughes
Jun 5 2013, 08:51 PM
Is this really PP's fault? Sounds like the union is leveling an accusation, without evidence, and because of how problematic unions can be to begin with, THAT'S what's shutting the show down.
PP did nothing wrong, or illegal, just from the sound of it (and fairly, what very limited information we have from the article posted). Based on that article, the union is the one stirring up trouble and hurting our shows.
uh yeah it is, if they went over budget, and I wouldn't doubt they did given how they rushed to get these eppy's on the air, and from what I read they were doing 16 hour plus days there for awhile

King of Hearts
Member Avatar

They were going on hiatus anyway. So an early hiatus was unexpected. They're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

They already are half gone away and both changed writing teams less than two months after premiering. Now an earlier than planned hiatus. One doesn't have to be a doom and gloomier to be worried about them going away altogether in the neat future.

skiman1208
Member Avatar

The new versions of AMC & OLTL are so much better than what they were on ABC. Yes, there are kinks that need to be fixed but its a miracle we have them back at all. I am going along for the ride and I am going to enjoy them as long as we have them and be grateful I got to see my favorite characters again in really interesting stories.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply