Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Clips Discussion: Tod's Death (4/1/86)
Topic Started: Jun 7 2013, 09:15 AM (982 Views)
Ellie

Step back in time with us to discuss a sad moment in Days history... Tod Chander's death. Featuring a young Jennifer, Alice, Marlena, Liz, Chris Kositchek (yes really), Neil Curtis and much more...

(These clips might overlap each other slightly as some are from different YT posters).

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ohgreatone22
Member Avatar

Who was Tod Chandler?

Ellie

http://soapcentral.com/days/whoswho/todd.php

jam6242
Member Avatar

I cried my eyes out during these scenes when they originally aired and I didn't even like Todd that much.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Nick's uncle and Liz's brother.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

The actor (David Wallace) went on to marry Melissa Anderson (Lisa Trusel) in real life and are still married today.

Marlene

Great trip down memory lane. And it reminded me why JT is and should only be Chris. He was actually likeable then.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

It's so weird to be able to understand what JT is actually saying in his scenes

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 7 2013, 11:17 AM
The actor (David Wallace) went on to marry Melissa Anderson (Lisa Trusel) in real life and are still married today.
Apparently there was a short interview of Lisa Trusel in SOD a few weeks ago and she mentioned that they're grandparents now. Yikes!

LuLu2102

THIS is the show I fell in love with. In spite of the terribly dated hair and wardrobe, and the fact that these events happened almost thirty years ago, and Tod was not a character that I was a huge fan girl of, I am in tears over these scenes.

My thoughts, in no particular order:

-I never noticed how much Gloria Loring and Judi Evans look alike until now.

-I can't believe the crush I had on Pete when Tod was so much better looking, and played by a much better actor.

-Look at all the extras! It lends such a greater sense of reality to have random people crossing the frame, and I miss that. I know it's a budget issue, but I can't help notice what a difference it makes.

-The way Tod looked at Liz while she sang to him was amazing and heart-breaking. How did he get his EYES to act so well? I can't imagine many of the A story folks we've got these days doing that.

-These clips perfectly illustrate what I miss most: the feeling that ALL of the characters know each other and are part of the same community. Tod wasn't even romantically involved with anyone (that I remember), but so many people were so upset about his death. And all of their reactions made sense and were true to human nature: Melissa felt a connection to him because he had saved her life, Jennifer felt beside herself with guilt (and acting exactly the way a teenager would) for whatever had gone on at Jump, Chris feeling mostly anger about the situation and Savannah being caught up in it, but restraining himself, Mike feeling helpless and frustrated because he couldn't save him, Marlena just wanting to lend a shoulder to help a friend she knew was hurting, Neil holding on to the tiniest bit of hope in spite of knowing that Tod would likely die, etc.

-That montage at the end, showing everybody's reactions, without any dialogue, was so well done. Great crying from both Lisa Trusel and Missy Reeves.

-I love that these storyline was so emotionally engaging, but had nothing to do with a love triangle. It was about a sister's love for her brother and a community's senseless loss. And it was so much more compelling than anything I've seen on Days in more years than I can count.
Edited by LuLu2102, Jun 7 2013, 10:49 PM.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

LuLu, that post is lovely! I miss that show. I miss the show that made me care because the characters cared. People were affected by other people's actions across storylines.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I was watching the show when this episode originally aired. Tod was a minor character but his death still had an impact on characters I cared about such as Liz, Melissa, Jennifer, etc.

Seeing those clips reminded me that back then Days actually made you feel something when a death happened. I remember crying and I think the music was such a big part of it. It's a shame that the last decade or so when a death occurred on Days, I never shed any tears.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

"Days" lost it's heart and soul not long after this. Although the 1990's were GREATLY entertaining, it just stopped feeling like "Days" in 1993 or so. I'd say right after the Roman/Marlena/John triangle, it really changed it's characteristics.

Some writers have "tried" to get that feel back to the show, but they just made it boring as hell and pointless. Great acting, great ensemble stories, and great climaxes that actually engage you emotionaly, not just for the sake of entertainment, cannot be found on daytime TV anymore.

PALMommy
Member Avatar

I thought I was alone for so long feeling THIS scene was one of the best EVER on Days! I too wasn't a super great fan of Tod or really Liz, but that dying scene was one of their best ever and it made me care about the characters. I've enjoyed storylines since then, but this scene was one of the best EVER imho!

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Marlene
Jun 7 2013, 02:28 PM
Great trip down memory lane. And it reminded me why JT is and should only be Chris. He was actually likeable then.
IF, and that is a BIG if (in other words, never gonna happen) Ken Corday had a brain, he'd get Wayne back somehow as Roman, let JT take a two month hiatus, and come back as Chris K. Josh Taylor was such a natural in that role, and it fit him and the show. Sadly, no one BTS has any sense, so kiss this one good bye. :angry:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply