Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Thursday, June 13th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 13 2013, 08:10 AM (12,154 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Sigh. I'm trying really hard to like this story which is a minor miracle considering who it includes. And honestly, to a point I do like it. But I am about to rip it apart.

The writing for Sami is absolutely atrocious. Atrocious. It's not an in character/out of character thing. Look. Sami can be pretty dumb. But she is not this dumb. There's no way I"ll buy her hanging out in that room once she knew that was Bernardi's widow, and being so mean about it once she admitted it. The fact that she's still there is ridiculous anyway, and the dancing she and EJ were doing in the background was beyond stupid. And is it really that difficult for her to believe that a man who is capable of doing some pretty atrocious things can also be a good father? Because if so, someone needs to fatally shoot her, EJ, and Lucas in the back. It's not often that I'll excuse Sami with a bad writing excuse, but I will this time. Also, EJ's feelings changed SO FAST. Just ugh. And Marge heard Sami call Roman "daddy" so her questioning how Sami knew him was dumb, too. They're also doing a really rotten job of showing the conflict with Hope and Roman investigating (that better improve, and it did by the end today but still not good enough). They have a story with so much potential, and they're just screwing it all up. But I still don't hate it like I have the last few months, lol.

I liked Marlena's entrance. It kind of cracked me up. And the Marlena/Sami scenes were fine. They've had better.

The WilSon/Gabi scenes were cute. The best part was Will listing who all was going home with Arianna. "...your Sonny..."

I really didn't have an issue with Jennifer/JJ or Abby/JJ, but again...the details of the story are just lacking. It's not like Parker was playing with a bucket of rusty razor blades.

I'm still really enjoying Kate.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dutchgirl

Don't like the actress playing Marge. When Roman told her about her husband she was supposed to cry. All I could hear was 'boohoo'. No real tears. She's just as bad in crying as AS and just as terrible in screaming too.. IMHO...

Offline Profile Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

lysie
Jun 13 2013, 07:42 PM
I really didn't have an issue with Jennifer/JJ or Abby/JJ, but again...the details of the story are just lacking. It's not like Parker was playing with a bucket of rusty razor blades.
This. I wish Daniel had a balcony because I could see maybe if JJ had opened up that door to sit out there and then Parker followed him and was crawling on THAT railing I could see Daniel freak out the way he did.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

lysie
Sigh. I'm trying really hard to like this story which is a minor miracle considering who it includes. And honestly, to a point I do like it. But I am about to rip it apart.

The writing for Sami is absolutely atrocious. Atrocious. It's not an in character/out of character thing. Look. Sami can be pretty dumb. But she is not this dumb. There's no way I"ll buy her hanging out in that room once she knew that was Bernardi's widow, and being so mean about it once she admitted it. The fact that she's still there is ridiculous anyway, and the dancing she and EJ were doing in the background was beyond stupid. And is it really that difficult for her to believe that a man who is capable of doing some pretty atrocious things can also be a good father? Because if so, someone needs to fatally shoot her, EJ, and Lucas in the back. It's not often that I'll excuse Sami with a bad writing excuse, but I will this time. Also, EJ's feelings changed SO FAST. Just ugh. And Marge heard Sami call Roman "daddy" so her questioning how Sami knew him was dumb, too. They're also doing a really rotten job of showing the conflict with Hope and Roman investigating (that better improve, and it did by the end today but still not good enough). They have a story with so much potential, and they're just screwing it all up. But I still don't hate it like I have the last few months, lol.

I liked Marlena's entrance. It kind of cracked me up. And the Marlena/Sami scenes were fine. They've had better.

The WilSon/Gabi scenes were cute. The best part was Will listing who all was going home with Arianna. "...your Sonny..."

Brace yourself...I don't do this often...but I pretty much agree with everything you've said about the shooting story. Sami staying in the room was beyond stupid. And even if Sami was too stupid or shocked or whatever to haul ass out of there as soon as she knew who Marge was - EJ or Roman or Hope should have been dragging her out. And Sami blurting out she did and then being 'sorry' to have to tell the woman her husband was going to murder someone? Yeah...really, really dumb. I agree the story has all kinds of great potential but they are just coming up with some really stupid movements to get from point A to point B. I really am glad they pulled Marlena in so early - it seems like where Sami is concerned including Marlena is almost always an afterthought so this was encouraging. I liked the end scene with the two police officers standing off to the side watching and Hope being very aware of it. That added a nice beat. But across the board they blew it big time in playing what should be the obvious gut wrenching conflict Winston should be having/feeling. If I didn't know the history of the show and was a new viewer I would never have guessed he was Sami's father based on today's episode.

I'm not sure what it is specifically but Chandler Massey is bugging the crap out of me lately. I feel like he's delivering all of his lines with a sort of dopey or blase attitude. I get that he shouldn't be all that shocked that Sami has gotten herself in a mess again - but he played the whole thing like he was hearing it about his second cousin's neighbor's hair dresser's friend. Or something. It's bizarre. And not just the Sami stuff but even the concern about whether Rafe was okay. I'm not sure when it happened but I feel like Freddie Smith lapped him in the performance category quite a while ago and is now just sort of running in place giving him a chance to catch back up. :-/
Offline Profile Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

I agree that the writing for Sami is atrocious... goes along with her acting... but I say the same for EJ. He has declared himself as temporary counsel for Sami until she can secure an attorney, yet stands there and lets her spout off all this stuff including admitting she shot Bernardi even with his widow standing there. So stupid. The fact that he didn't usher her out of the room immediately made no sense at all. This story has a lot of potential, but someone needs to pick up the pace with the writing and at least make these scenes somewhat believeable.
Offline Profile Goto Top

camera shy

I don't believe that Marge wouldn't have known that Sami was Roman's daughter or Rafe's ex wife. How could she had not known who Sami was in that small town?
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

camera shy
Jun 13 2013, 08:16 PM
I don't believe that Marge wouldn't have known that Sami was Roman's daughter or Rafe's ex wife. How could she had not known who Sami was in that small town?
Exactly. Or how is it that Sami didn't recognize Marge? If Bernardi and Rafe were such good friends (and Marge knew it) how was Sami not aware?
Offline Profile Goto Top

elci525
Member Avatar

I think Marge is still a better crier than Sami - which I guess isn't saying all that much. I thought her faces were ok, and her emotion throughout her scenes were good. But I agree her crying was a lot of face-making and sobbing. I felt the same way that I didn't see any tears - I was looking for them! It was very strange how Sami blurted out that she shot Bernardi - not that she blurted it out, but that she did it in such an antagonistic manner, and more so that EJ allowed it. He's been very strange to me these last two episodes - his role. I thought having Sami just say "I'm sorry" was fudging ridiculous - that was bad writing. What I thought was bad Sami was when she said that obviously Marge didn't really know her husband since he was such a bad guy. I wanted to slap her for saying that. People are complex beings, Sami, as I am sure you know - how do you know you knew the real Bernardi? And it was also annoying for all the reasons lysie cited - that Sami is certainly no stranger to not-so-great-guys being decent fathers.

Timmy is very cute still. I am on the bandwagon of ppl that want something to happen between he and Allie when SORAS'd, and they can be their own version of partners in crime to settle scores (as I am sure Allie will have some grudges). OR maybe even he and Sydney: he uses Sydney as a way to get to Sami and seek his revenge. Ah the ideas are spinning.....
Edited by elci525, Jun 13 2013, 09:01 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

I didn't like Marge as much today as I did yesterday, but I still liked her. Her crying wasn't the greatest, but her lack of tears actually didn't bother me. I'm not sure why.
Offline Profile Goto Top

uclan
Member Avatar

I'm having a very difficult time feeling sympathy for Sami even though her actions saved Rafe's family jewels. I don't get a good sense of her remorse for her act. She's too adamant in her justification. On the other hand, I feel very bad for JJ even though I know he's guilty. He's sending out signals loud and clear of his pain about losing his dad, and no one (except Abby, just a little) is hearing them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Because tears are overrated? I can't believe the stock being put into "real tears." I've seen some of the worst actors ever pouring tears in their emotional scenes. It didn't make them any better. I will say if the actor is good then tears can enhance a scene, but its not always the case. #TeamMarge
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kriss4

Well, watching it, how different was the Marge actress from Ali, truthfully?

There wasn't much difference. They were on the same level in those scenes. And the Marge actress was supposed to be portraying anguish and devastation as well as anger. I got the anger, but not the anguish. Not the devastation.

Sorry.

That doesn't mean she's bad. She's decent. But that's an area where she's not strong, apparently. She probably won't have to cry much anyway.

Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Jun 13 2013, 09:36 PM
Well, watching it, how different was the Marge actress from Ali, truthfully?

There wasn't much difference. They were on the same level in those scenes. And the Marge actress was supposed to be portraying anguish and devastation as well as anger. I got the anger, but not the anguish. Not the devastation.

Sorry.

That doesn't mean she's bad. She's decent. But that's an area where she's not strong, apparently. She probably won't have to cry much anyway.

I thought she was better than Ali, but I saw the anguish. Particularly when she was talking about her son. But like...I'm not trying to give her an Emmy or anything, lol. I just think she's really good for such a small role, and it's just kind of funny because her scenes are with most of Days' biggest people.
Offline Profile Goto Top

elci525
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Jun 13 2013, 09:32 PM
Because tears are overrated? I can't believe the stock being put into "real tears." I've seen some of the worst actors ever pouring tears in their emotional scenes. It didn't make them any better. I will say if the actor is good then tears can enhance a scene, but its not always the case. #TeamMarge
Ok...guess I'm wrong. I am still firmly Team Marge all the way - I just was saying that I too noticed her lack of tears, as another poster said. If she had been crying tears I would not have thought them overrated. Maybe I noticed this more yesterday than today - I think it was only really noticeable to me when she was crying in Roman's arms. But all still good in the land of Marge - I am excited to know she is not just a one-off character and she's brought more as a tiny role-player than most of the main actors on the show. And she is far better than Ali - which brings me joy, to see that contrast. And hey she slapped Sami, so, yeah, aaaallllll good.
Edited by elci525, Jun 13 2013, 09:44 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

guessgirl
Jun 13 2013, 05:22 PM
Ellie
Jun 13 2013, 12:20 PM
Am I missing why Gabi can't get her own apartment? Or stay in Rafe's?
Because tiic want her to be some angst for poor put upon Wilson. I rather see Gabi continue to work, finish school and raise the baby etc. And Nick set up an account for her and Arianna so it's not like she's has no money.
You haven't read the spoilers, have you?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kriss4

elci525
Jun 13 2013, 09:40 PM
DiMeraFan67
Jun 13 2013, 09:32 PM
Ok...guess I'm wrong. I am still firmly Team Marge all the way - I just was saying that I too noticed her lack of tears, as another poster said. If she had been crying tears I would not have thought them overrated. Maybe I noticed this more yesterday than today - I think it was only really noticeable to me when she was crying in Roman's arms. But all still good in the land of Marge - I am excited to know she is not just a one-off character and she's brought more as a tiny role-player than most of the main actors on the show. And she is far better than Ali - which brings me joy, to see that contrast. And hey she slapped Sami, so, yeah, aaaallllll good.
I'm for her having a role in this story. She's fine. Yesterday I really liked her. I just missed the tears and thought it was a shame she couldn't bring them. And in those scenes, I thought she was on par with Ali. Maybe because they were both yelling away, and there wasn't much evidence of tears. The slap, though? That was one of the best slap scenes I've seen in quite awhile, and I think a good slap scene is kind of hard to deliver effectively, yet she did.

What's her name anyway? The Marge actress?

Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

SocRMum1
Jun 13 2013, 08:05 PM
lysie

Brace yourself...I don't do this often...but I pretty much agree with everything you've said about the shooting story. Sami staying in the room was beyond stupid. And even if Sami was too stupid or shocked or whatever to haul ass out of there as soon as she knew who Marge was - EJ or Roman or Hope should have been dragging her out. And Sami blurting out she did and then being 'sorry' to have to tell the woman her husband was going to murder someone? Yeah...really, really dumb. I agree the story has all kinds of great potential but they are just coming up with some really stupid movements to get from point A to point B. I really am glad they pulled Marlena in so early - it seems like where Sami is concerned including Marlena is almost always an afterthought so this was encouraging. I liked the end scene with the two police officers standing off to the side watching and Hope being very aware of it. That added a nice beat. But across the board they blew it big time in playing what should be the obvious gut wrenching conflict Winston should be having/feeling. If I didn't know the history of the show and was a new viewer I would never have guessed he was Sami's father based on today's episode.

I'm not sure what it is specifically but Chandler Massey is bugging the crap out of me lately. I feel like he's delivering all of his lines with a sort of dopey or blase attitude. I get that he shouldn't be all that shocked that Sami has gotten herself in a mess again - but he played the whole thing like he was hearing it about his second cousin's neighbor's hair dresser's friend. Or something. It's bizarre. And not just the Sami stuff but even the concern about whether Rafe was okay. I'm not sure when it happened but I feel like Freddie Smith lapped him in the performance category quite a while ago and is now just sort of running in place giving him a chance to catch back up. :-/
This totally. I'm just saying (to myself) its morphine induced. Bugging me? No. Kinda cute, in a....he has no care sorta way. Thank God for drugs! (I was in the hospital for half a year drugged up, so I can totally see how he is nonchalant in this instance. Not sure that's what his intention is, but it's working for me)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Jun 13 2013, 09:58 PM
What's her name anyway? The Marge actress?

Elizabeth Ann Roberts.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kriss4

Thanks, Jason! You always have the answers. I love that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Alison Sweeney is a whimpering mess. She is making all of the wrong acting choices. Like Lysie said, I'm not trying to give her an Emmy either, but she was the best person in THOSE scenes. I would say by a mile.

I'm not getting the comparison to AS because I don't see anything similar in their performances other than the no "real tears" thing, which I really don't care about and doesn't change the scene for me. I really did think Queen Marge was portraying all of the correct emotions while Sami was huffing and puffing and blowing the hospital down.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic