Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Thursday, June 13th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 13 2013, 08:10 AM (12,003 Views)
Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

DiMeraFan67
Jun 13 2013, 09:32 PM
Because tears are overrated? I can't believe the stock being put into "real tears." I've seen some of the worst actors ever pouring tears in their emotional scenes. It didn't make them any better. I will say if the actor is good then tears can enhance a scene, but its not always the case. #TeamMarge
i completely agree. it's more important for actors to be able to make the audience feel what their character is feeling than to be able to create waterworks.
for example: i didn't need Julianna Margulies bawling her eyes out the entire "Carol & Doug say goodbye" scene on ER. and even when she did finally let out tears, they weren't complete waterworks dripping down her face.
Offline Profile Goto Top

elci525
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Jun 13 2013, 10:50 PM
DiMeraFan67
Because tears are overrated? I can't believe the stock being put into "real tears." I've seen some of the worst actors ever pouring tears in their emotional scenes. It didn't make them any better. I will say if the actor is good then tears can enhance a scene, but its not always the case. #TeamMarge
i completely agree. it's more important for actors to be able to make the audience feel what their character is feeling than to be able to create waterworks.
for example: i didn't need Julianna Margulies bawling her eyes out the entire "Carol & Doug say goodbye" scene on ER. and even when she did finally let out tears, they weren't complete waterworks dripping down her face.
To be clear, I wasn't expecting or looking for waterworks. There was just a particular moment, it might have been at the end of Wednesday's show, that I marked how the actress playing Marge was working her face quite convincingly in pain and upset, but how there wasn't a glimmer of a tear. Which is fine - the message of the emotion was sill conveyed, I registered and believed it. I just noticed this b/c I thought, hmmm, I could maybe sob like that, scream and curse the world, but I would likely not be able to drum up tears, and would I pass the test if so? Probably not, I thought, so at that moment I wasn't entirely impressed with Marge. LOL totally a strange/crazy-eccentric-lady thought to have, I know. But watching some of these Days actors sometimes, I think I could do their job and then some.

Anyway that was the wackadoo thought process I had. Regardless. I am still very much #TeamMarge. Go marge go!!
Edited by elci525, Jun 13 2013, 11:04 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lady Evol

Salem PD- most incompetent police force in the world. Finally actually catch a murderer- can't the evidence that makes the homicide justifiable. Seriously, they should all have been fired by now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

elci525
Jun 13 2013, 10:56 PM
Supergirlx2
Jun 13 2013, 10:50 PM
DiMeraFan67
To be clear, I wasn't expecting or looking for waterworks. There was just a particular moment, it might have been at the end of Wednesday's show, that I marked how the actress playing Marge was working her face quite convincingly in pain and upset, but how there wasn't a glimmer of a tear. Which is fine - the message of the emotion was sill conveyed, I registered and believed it. I just noticed this b/c I thought, hmmm, I could probably sob like that, scream and curse the world, but I would likely not be able to drum up tears, and would I pass the test if so? Probably not, I thought, so at that moment I wasn't entirely impressed with Marge. LOL totally a strange/crazy-eccentric-lady thought to have, I know. But watching some of these Days actors sometimes, I think I could do their job and then some.

Anyway that was the wackadoo thought process I had. Regardless. I am still very much #TeamMarge. Go marge go!!
lol Nothing wrong with that! I just don't put much stock into tears. I don't think that tears mean you are feeling anything more or less, but I know some people think its important.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Ellie
Jun 13 2013, 04:03 PM
I found it!

Posted Image
I love it! I don't even remember those scenes but it was a long time ago. I wish that sign that's readable could be enlarged because it's great.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Jun 13 2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Jason! You always have the answers. I love that.
Well, not ALL the answers, just around 99 percent or so :cheers:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

lysie
Jun 13 2013, 09:13 PM
I didn't like Marge as much today as I did yesterday, but I still liked her. Her crying wasn't the greatest, but her lack of tears actually didn't bother me. I'm not sure why.
Her slapping Sami excused any acting nuances that may have bothered me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ophelia
Member Avatar

six
Jun 13 2013, 01:20 PM
Ellie
Jun 13 2013, 01:17 PM
six
Jun 13 2013, 01:14 PM
DiMeraFan67
Jun 13 2013, 12:39 PM
I am so DONE hearing Sami's story. Every time the flashback looks worse. She didn't need to shoot to kill! She's full of shit. Lethal injection, please.
I don't want Sami to die, but I do think they did a bad job of setting up this story if they're expecting the entire audience to be on Sami's side. Shooting first and asking questions later was an overreaction, for one. And for another thing - if Sami didn't want to go to death row, maybe she should stop trying to kill people. I think she's shot more people than anyone else on the show at this point.
imo the fact that they're bringing in Mrs. Bernardi - and a great actress at that - shows us that we're not being forced to root for Sami here.
My guess is that when it's all said and done, Mrs. Bernardi will find out her husband was on the take and shamefully slink into the shadows, but it'll be nice if they continue to play this story as having shades of gray
I think Marge has a bit of an edge to her and we're only seeing small hints of it. Her threats to Sami gave a little bit of that vibe. I could see Stefano approaching his former employee's widow and offering her a secure future and a chance to get even with the woman who shot her husband. The actress certainly could pull it off and it might be interesting to see the beginnings of a vendetta...
Offline Profile Goto Top

BeeBee
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 13 2013, 12:13 PM
Ali's shoes are awful.
Along with her dress and hair while Kate and Hope are flawless from their hair to their shoes.Even Jennifer is wearing her dress well.
Offline Profile Goto Top

thepadange

elci525
Jun 13 2013, 09:40 PM
DiMeraFan67
Ok...guess I'm wrong. I am still firmly Team Marge all the way - I just was saying that I too noticed her lack of tears, as another poster said. If she had been crying tears I would not have thought them overrated. Maybe I noticed this more yesterday than today - I think it was only really noticeable to me when she was crying in Roman's arms. But all still good in the land of Marge - I am excited to know she is not just a one-off character and she's brought more as a tiny role-player than most of the main actors on the show. And she is far better than Ali - which brings me joy, to see that contrast. And hey she slapped Sami, so, yeah, aaaallllll good.
I think the actress was really good in these scenes. Especially given the fact that these are her first scenes on this show and it's impossible for her to even know the character let alone "feel" it.
As for tears. I think it's more a direction- thing than an acting choice. Nobody has to have "real tears" but they could easily use some "fake tears" if they wanted or whatever staff they use for that. I'm glad they didn't because this way was more subtle IMO.
And not everybody cries tears at the very first second they hear the fact, no matter how painful it is. So it was O.K. for me.
Edited by thepadange, Jun 14 2013, 01:59 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

BeeBee
Member Avatar

camera shy
Jun 13 2013, 07:33 PM
Why hasn't Kate called Lucas and told him what's going on? She's the mother of his children and he might want to go get his daughter if Sami's not going to be there.
She probably has called Lucas off screen.He will pop up saying something about Sami and what has happened with Allie.
Offline Profile Goto Top

BeeBee
Member Avatar

Pookie
Jun 13 2013, 09:40 PM
guessgirl
Jun 13 2013, 05:22 PM
Ellie
Jun 13 2013, 12:20 PM
Am I missing why Gabi can't get her own apartment? Or stay in Rafe's?
Because tiic want her to be some angst for poor put upon Wilson. I rather see Gabi continue to work, finish school and raise the baby etc. And Nick set up an account for her and Arianna so it's not like she's has no money.
You haven't read the spoilers, have you?
Gabi wouldn't likely return to work so soon.It appeared she was only working part time at the pub.That money would not be enough for her to pay rent on Rafe's apartment or her own,take care of the baby,and take college classes.I could also see how Will would want this arrangement too.He would be a part of his daughter's daily life not just visitation rights and still have Sonny.Gabi did not want to accept money from Nick when he first offered it,he insisted so I could see her not wanting to accept assistance from him even though she is entitled to it as his wife.
Offline Profile Goto Top

chinkybig

I've gone tired of my fingers pushing the FF button all the time. So I just press mute whenever Sami and Fetch are on and do something else while I wait for the next scene. What I observe though, my pet peeve with AS is that while she tries to explain herself with her close-to-hysterical expression and modulation, is her gestures. She looks like a really bad rapper when delivering her lines with her expression + gestures. Thanks, mute button!
Offline Profile Goto Top

camera shy

chinkybig
Jun 14 2013, 03:22 AM
I've gone tired of my fingers pushing the FF button all the time. So I just press mute whenever Sami and Fetch are on and do something else while I wait for the next scene. What I observe though, my pet peeve with AS is that while she tries to explain herself with her close-to-hysterical expression and modulation, is her gestures. She looks like a really bad rapper when delivering her lines with her expression + gestures. Thanks, mute button!
With me it's Jennifer. I can't stand listening to her trying to get an answer from someone or trying to explain things. That strained look on her face and how many times does she have to say Daniel? Shut up already!
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

am103
I totally agree with what Ellie said up-thread about scenes in the rectory having the ability to slow an episode down. I totally see it. I think it's because it's so small and boxed-in and it's really the ONLY place we get scenes involving Eric. Okay, we get he's a priest - he's wearing the damn collar! He doesn't have to be in that little office the whole time!

It's so funny watching Days with my aunt and uncle. They are elderly and sometimes I drop by their house just to make lunch and say hi. Today we all watched Days together, and when I tell you all that they WORSHIP Daniel, I'm being serious. It's hilarious because while we're watching, I'm saying things like "Oh look, he got a tan today." and "Did the hair people choose to do nothing about his bedhead today?" and they totally think I'm being ridiculous, lol. They really don't understand my hatred for this over-pimped character, which I may add, is starting to really downgrade Abigail as a character as well. Enough with the pimping!

JJ returning to Salem really has given Jennifer Rose LIFE! This is the most I've enjoyed her in quite some time. It really is miraculous. I wonder if Casey Moss knew when he auditioned for JJ that he would pretty much be the voice of the audience, lol. I LOVE that he calls everyone out on their shit!

As for the shooting thing, what can I say? Marge Bernardi is the future of this show! Lol. Why can they find such good random characters like Anne and Marge and then totally miscast other people in important roles? I'll never understand it. Also, Ali Sweeney is laughably bad this week. When she screamed, "I did it! I shot him!", was she trying to be sincere? Because the way Ali played it, it's like she was bragging, lol.

I think Sami was feeling so quilty that she couldn´t hold it in any longer.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

S loves EJ
Jun 14 2013, 06:10 AM
am103
I totally agree with what Ellie said up-thread about scenes in the rectory having the ability to slow an episode down. I totally see it. I think it's because it's so small and boxed-in and it's really the ONLY place we get scenes involving Eric. Okay, we get he's a priest - he's wearing the damn collar! He doesn't have to be in that little office the whole time!

It's so funny watching Days with my aunt and uncle. They are elderly and sometimes I drop by their house just to make lunch and say hi. Today we all watched Days together, and when I tell you all that they WORSHIP Daniel, I'm being serious. It's hilarious because while we're watching, I'm saying things like "Oh look, he got a tan today." and "Did the hair people choose to do nothing about his bedhead today?" and they totally think I'm being ridiculous, lol. They really don't understand my hatred for this over-pimped character, which I may add, is starting to really downgrade Abigail as a character as well. Enough with the pimping!

JJ returning to Salem really has given Jennifer Rose LIFE! This is the most I've enjoyed her in quite some time. It really is miraculous. I wonder if Casey Moss knew when he auditioned for JJ that he would pretty much be the voice of the audience, lol. I LOVE that he calls everyone out on their shit!

As for the shooting thing, what can I say? Marge Bernardi is the future of this show! Lol. Why can they find such good random characters like Anne and Marge and then totally miscast other people in important roles? I'll never understand it. Also, Ali Sweeney is laughably bad this week. When she screamed, "I did it! I shot him!", was she trying to be sincere? Because the way Ali played it, it's like she was bragging, lol.

The problem when sami said it was not played that way
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

My opinion of the actress playing Marge went down after she was supposed be showing anguish. She's good and I'd like to see her stick around, but she didn't steal the scene or anything. And dry eyed crying always pulls me out of the moment.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Brewster
Member Avatar

I agree that while the stories have potential, the writing has been less than stellar these last few days. I don’t care for the whole shooting storyline so far. Aside from not enjoying Rafe being involved, even if he is in the coma that never ends, something just isn't right for me.
But I do see the possibilities for story that could come from it and since I do like Ejami together, I think it will be a good story for them hopefully.
Having said that, I have not enjoyed Sami much since the day she went into see Rafe and it just got worse when she shot Bernardi. It doesn’t have anything to do with AS performance for me though. I think the material is poorly written and the overall blocking and direction of the scenes are haphazard.
I agree with everything Lysie said about Sami in her earlier post actually. And I normally like Sami, still do, just think this has all fallen flat. I would have rather seen Sami hightail it out of there as soon as she realized who Marge was.
Who by the way, I’m not enjoying that much either. I thought she was good the first day, but over dramatic the second. I thought the whole ‘cop killer’ bit was a little too gangsterish and not something a woman who just lost her husband, literally minutes prior, would say. But I suppose it’s possible.

I like that EJ is standing beside her even though he is still miffed about her being in there in the first place. The fact that she’s facing murder charges should be a bigger deal to him than whether she has feelings for Rafe or not. Which so far, it seems like it is and he’s putting that aside for the moment. I like that Kate is razzing him about it though. I don’t think EJ has much to worry about for now as far as that, but I love the EJ/Kate interaction.

I was also glad to see Roman and Marlena being so loving with Sami. Hope, on the other hand, she needs to step up her Aunt game a little. I get that Sami is a mess, but come on.

I really have to give it up to that JJ kid. I don’t like Dannifer. But the actor who plays JJ does punk ass kid really well. I was shocked when I found myself watching all of the Dannifer centered scenes, even the ones JJ was not in, just because he’s instantly made that story better.

The Wilson/Gabby stuff was adorable. I still don’t love Gabby, but the whole modern day Three’s Company (and a baby) thing has cute potential. I also love the ‘her Sonny’ line. Super cute.

All in all, not a bad show. I just think that they need to flesh out these scenes better. I am enjoying the show for the most part and have been for weeks. But these last few, I have had a lot of head shaking over.
Edited by Brewster, Jun 14 2013, 08:34 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

I don´t like the shooting storyline so far either, maybe because EJ looks really unhappy ever since Rafe got in to the picture again, he looks like - why did I get engaged to this freaking mess of a woman. Hopefully good Ejami scenes will come of it though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

Partnersincrime
Jun 14 2013, 07:37 AM
S loves EJ
Jun 14 2013, 06:10 AM
am103

The problem when sami said it was not played that way
The line was delivered in a very bold way and it didn't fit. Okay, Bernardi is evil personified. Whatever. But Sami needs to tone down the righteous indignation when she's interacting with the man's wife.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic