Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Friday, June 14th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 14 2013, 06:56 AM (7,690 Views)
Southofsoap
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 14 2013, 01:47 PM
Southofsoap
Jun 14 2013, 01:35 PM
Keith
Jun 14 2013, 01:25 PM
lysie
Jun 14 2013, 01:22 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Quoted because you beat me to it. John raised Sami and Eric. Its sacrilege that there's not more of a relationship there more often and shown.
Grattitude/parental duty to someone and actually likeing/loving them are 2 different things. Maybe it's because different writing regimes write them differently, but I have never felt any consistency of John loving Sami. And I am certain Sami will always resent John for the affair, no matter what she says.
Actually those are several different things. Liking and loving are completely separate. I was talking about loving.
Yes, there is a lot in there. My original post was about liking. I don't think John/Sami like each other and any effort is for Marlena's sake. I think one could argue a case that John loves Sami, but I don't believe Sami loves John.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jun 14 2013, 01:11 PM
Miss Rhi
Jun 14 2013, 01:04 PM
How long has it been since we've gotten a Salmons script? Maybe she was off for a bit.
Jason47 lists 5/24 as her last in May.

There have only been 8 episodes in June so far and I don't recall seeing her name
She did 6/5 too.

6/3/13: Steven Williford & Jeanne Marie Ford
6/4/13: Herb Stein & Richard Culliton
6/5/13: Albert Alarr & Melissa Salmons
6/10/13: Steven Williford & Janet Iacobuzio
6/11/13: Steven Williford & Richard Culliton
6/12/13: Albert Alarr & Carolyn Culliton
6/13/13: Steven Williford & Jeanne Marie Ford
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jun 14 2013, 01:54 PM
lysie
Southofsoap
Keith
Jun 14 2013, 01:25 PM

Grattitude/parental duty to someone and actually likeing/loving them are 2 different things. Maybe it's because different writing regimes write them differently, but I have never felt any consistency of John loving Sami. And I am certain Sami will always resent John for the affair, no matter what she says.
Actually those are several different things. Liking and loving are completely separate. I was talking about loving.
Yes, there is a lot in there. My original post was about liking. I don't think John/Sami like each other and any effort is for Marlena's sake. I think one could argue a case that John loves Sami, but I don't believe Sami loves John.
Eh. I won't get into the liking. But is argue that Sami loves
John as much as Sami is capable of loving...which isn't much. But I also don't think the affair is what she resents him for.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 14 2013, 01:57 PM
Southofsoap
lysie
Southofsoap

John as much as Sami is capable of loving...which isn't much. But I also don't think the affair is what she resents him for.
But you think she resents him, if not for the affair? What do you think she resents him for?
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jun 14 2013, 01:58 PM
lysie
Southofsoap
lysie

But you think she resents him, if not for the affair? What do you think she resents him for?
"Lying" about being her dad, leaving them with a stranger and starting a new family, and then breaking up her family again. I don't think love and resentment are mutually exclusive though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

six
Jun 14 2013, 01:17 PM
During Bricole's kiss, I found myself wondering what the name of AZ's nail polish was. Perhaps I'll be able to find out and that scene won't be a total waste. I just cannot stand them in romantic scenes.

I laughed when Marlena picked up the children only to immediately leave them at the pub with the woman with Alzheimers. This is where Sami gets it from.

IDK why, but I seriously keep forgetting that Roman is Eric's father.

John needs to take Roman's advice and stay away from Marlena and everyone else for that matter.

I'm going to try to see Jennifer's defense of JJ as more of a desire to see the best in people, rather than a sign complete stupidity and willful ignorance. Maybe that'll make it possible to enjoy her scenes again.

I cannot wait to see what Kristen does.
I didn't really find anything wrong with that, because apparently, they're all working together to find a way to help her daughter. But she'd still want her grandkids to be safe, which she'd never consider the DiMera mansion to be.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Nicole, Nicole, Nicole. Are all men sex objects?!! Can't you have one platonic male friend? smh
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Mitchapalooza
Jun 14 2013, 12:30 PM
Oh and in WHAT world would ANY female want to be with someone as boring as Cameron Davis....what a WEAK character...why is he still around?
You have seen him nearly naked, haven't you? Trust me, that helps excuse a lot. lol
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Miss Rhi
Jun 14 2013, 12:50 PM
I like Ari's hair. I wonder if there was a break between when yesterday's show was filmed and today's?
I like her hair better without bangs.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 14 2013, 02:01 PM
Southofsoap
lysie
Southofsoap

"Lying" about being her dad, leaving them with a stranger and starting a new family, and then breaking up her family again. I don't think love and resentment are mutually exclusive though.
Ah ok, I get you. Yeah, when I say affair, I use broad strokes (verrrry broad strokes lol)

Regarding love and resentment being mutually exclusive though, for normal people I agree. For someone like Sami, I think on a concious level she assigns a single binary classification to people. On a subconcious level, well it differs from writing regime to writing regime and it could be argued either way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Took a nap during DAYS. Couldn't hold off. Just finished watching on my DVR...

HURRAY! It's a NEW DAY in Salem!

I really, REALLY like how the episode started by everyone finding out about the shooting & Sami's arrest via numerous sources INCLUDING the front page story in the Salem Spectator. I also like how Anne popped up in the beginning to sick that freelancer on Jennifer. I also liked how he was being NOTICEABLY douchey with his doggedness (beyond just being a "driven reporter") and was called on it by the other reporters.

I thought Melissa Reeves looked FABULOUS today. I thought hair, makeup, and wardrobe all suited her well. Likewise, I absolutely LOVE Ari Zuker's new haircut. Also, unlike many of you, I actually really liked her dress and I didn't find anything overly odd about the fit.

I like how we got bits and pieces from all the other stories carrying over (Kristen/Brady; John/Marlena; Eric/Nicole; Daniel/Jennifer/JJ; etc.) but everything was played under the umbrella of Sami's arrest. IMO, THIS is how you effectively weave through a cohesive soap opera canvas. IMO, it felt like one whole show and town today instead of a bunch of disjointed stories that just so happen to be set in the same place.

I love that we saw ALL of Sami's immediate family rallying around her today (even though she was off-screen) including both of her parents, her twin brother, and her step-brother. I also like that John seemed determined to TRY to be there for Sami despite everything that's happened, but no one will let him BECAUSE of what's happened. I actually had no problem with Roman essentially telling John to fuck off and that it was a family matter concerning Roman & Marlena's daughter. Marlena even told him to go away. IMO, John removed himself from consideration as family when he asked Marlena for a divorce. I'm on Roman's side in this one.

I'm curious about what Kristen is up to this time. Please lets not get to the climax before we actually find out because that will get boring quickly. Again.

All in all, I thought today was a fabulous episode and a really good "building" soap opera episode. Surprisingly, I thought David Cherrill did a competent job with the script.

And in a strictly shallow moment, I do appreciate that they let Shawn Christian stop shaving his chest. I like the fur on him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

throughthehourglass
Jun 14 2013, 01:00 PM
Southofsoap
Jun 14 2013, 12:58 PM
Well now we know (or still don't know) who Kristen is expecting.

Wonder what her plan is? Friday cliffhanger!
We know what it is from spoilers, and it's gonna be AWESOME! :cheer:
Thanks for not spoiling!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Southofsoap
Jun 14 2013, 01:01 PM
Keith
Jun 14 2013, 12:59 PM
I kind of wish Marlena had let John help with Sami. They have their issues, but John has always been at his best when he's about family. I understand not wanting anything to do with him. Its just annoying.
Yeah, but John and Sami don't actually like each other, would just make things worse
True. Good point.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jun 14 2013, 02:08 PM
lysie
Jun 14 2013, 02:01 PM
Southofsoap
lysie

Ah ok, I get you. Yeah, when I say affair, I use broad strokes (verrrry broad strokes lol)

Regarding love and resentment being mutually exclusive though, for normal people I agree. For someone like Sami, I think on a concious level she assigns a single binary classification to people. On a subconcious level, well it differs from writing regime to writing regime and it could be argued either way.
I'd disagree. Sami has love and hate relationships with most of the important people in her life. She generally does, however, show one over the other in a binary fashion. This has a lot to do with writing agendas. If Sami were written completely sans writing agenda, she'd be such a complex character, despite Ali's limitations.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Yep. It did WONDERS, IMO, to have Sami off screen today while everyone found out about her shooting Bernardi and getting arrested. It didn't feel like overkill, which it easily could have. This is a perfect example of what DAYS hasn't done in years and I would love to watch all the story beats played out while Sami just gets her ass kicked in jail and is only seen like twice a week. I do think she is going to be played a little bit less while she's in jail, honestly. I know I could be way off base there, but I think we'll get a little bit less Sami than normal in the next month or so. Great start today, IMO.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

My take on the John/Sami relationship is this: since raising them as "Roman" for a number of years, John loves Sami, Eric and Carrie as if they were his kids. There is a part of Sami deep down that does genuinely care for John, but she also resents the hell out of him for 2 primary reasons. One for the affair with Marlena effectively ending her family with Roman and Marlena and causing her dad a lot of pain. Two she feels that Marlena has perhaps loved John more than her---she is after all very insecure in her familial relationships.

I kind of don't mind Roman telling John to stay out of it---there should always be an undercurrent of resentment between these two characters.

Sigh. Can't Bricole get together once without one of them being on the rebound from someone else?
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

JarlenaLante
Jun 14 2013, 04:02 PM
My take on the John/Sami relationship is this: since raising them as "Roman" for a number of years, John loves Sami, Eric and Carrie as if they were his kids. There is a part of Sami deep down that does genuinely care for John, but she also resents the hell out of him for 2 primary reasons. One for the affair with Marlena effectively ending her family with Roman and Marlena and causing her dad a lot of pain. Two she feels that Marlena has perhaps loved John more than her---she is after all very insecure in her familial relationships.

I kind of don't mind Roman telling John to stay out of it---there should always be an undercurrent of resentment between these two characters.

Sigh. Can't Bricole get together once without one of them being on the rebound from someone else?
This is my EXACT take on the John/Sami relationship and also Roman/John.
Offline Profile Goto Top

fan57

IMO, Samantha loves John. I believe it gose way back when the real Roman can back. Samantha and Eric thought that John was their father, they loved this man. Their mother was "suppose" to be dead, but they had their father. Samantha seen her dad go through all kinds of relationship, but it was nothing like he had with her mom, the closest was Isabella, the kids took to her, anyway, to make a long story short, when John was found not to be the father, and the real Roman was back (WN) I believe Samantha just wanted some stability in her life, her real mom and dad were back and she wanted them together. John wants to help with Samantha, because even though he's not her biological dad, he still loves her like she's one of his own.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Carly
Member Avatar

Do we know who Anne was talking to on the phone when she was gloating about the reporters hassling Jennifer? It'd be cool if Anne had a secret ally in her war against Jennifer. (I'd love it if Jen Lilley's character were a SORASed Joy Wesley. Joy would certainly have a grudge against Dannifer because of all the stuff that happened with Chloe.)

I know that the concept of medical ethics is pretty much a joke in Salem, but what type of psychiatrist has her son cancel therapy appointments for her?! Doesn't Marlena have a secretary who could do that sort of thing? Plus, I'd think that doctor/patient confidentiality would prevent Marlena from letting Eric have access to a list of Marlena's therapy patients!

And I wish that DAYS would give Cameron a frakkin' personality.
Edited by Carly, Jun 14 2013, 06:01 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

Ann is seriously awesome :lol: and why does this guy seem familiar? Was he on before?
Online Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic