Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
40th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards; Live Viewing Thread
Topic Started: Jun 16 2013, 11:07 AM (25,440 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:30 PM
blueskies
Didn't Days win for writing last year on the booted writers then too?
Yup.
was that for Marlene and Darrell then too? Or am I making that up...who was before them? Was it Dena? That seems wrong though....like, she wasn't that recent.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:33 PM
I love how Arianne was apparently pushing Peggy McCay forward so that she could be front and center as one of the matriarchs of the show. It's especially appropriate since Peggy didn't get the recognition that she deserved in her category tonight.

Was Deidre Hall not in attendance?
No, she wasn't there.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

blueskies
lysie
blueskies
Yup.
was that for Marlene and Darrell then too? Or am I making that up...who was before them? Was it Dena? That seems wrong though....like, she wasn't that recent.
No, it was MarDar. It was the episode with the snow storm. They didn't submit anything from Dena's time.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:23 PM
Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:18 PM
lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:16 PM
Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:10 PM
Personally, I think that Days deserved to win this year. I didn't think that they would win, but I disagree that it's a totally undeserved win. Unexpected, yes, but only because Days has been shut out for so long that people just assume that will continue to be the case every year.

And Chandler abso-fucking-lutely deserved to win.

Peggy and Arianne did, too, though, so I'm disappointed about that. But this is a nice consolation prize, I'm sure.
EH. I mean, I know this isn't fair to the current show, but it's just that the show has deserved a win SO MUCH MORE in previous years, that it's really kind of hard to see them as deserving now. Especially since last year was full of so much craziness in regime changes and cast upheavals. I can't compare Days to other soaps because I don't watch other shows, but I can compare Days to itself in the past, and last year was pretty crappy for Days.
You're right -- it isn't fair. But I completely understand your point of view.
Don't get the wrong idea. I don't mind it winning at all. Hopefully that will give it some help with advertisers and maybe get some more money thrown at it. But it's kind of bittersweet because last year wasn't very good, and Days has had several good years in the last 30something years it was shut out. Other casts and regimes of the show deserved the recognition more.
This is how I feel. I'm sort of happy that they won but I think it was not a very successful year for Days all around. So for them to win this year when the show pretty much went from bad Higgs to worse MarDar years then IDK. When you think that the likes of the Cruise of Deception, the SSK, The secret room, Maison Blanche, etc...were left out of the win but the show one now after 30 something years without one just feels like there is something wrong.....hoping that Days gets the recognition at least from the suits at NBC,or the advertisers...so that they could infuse the show with some much needed cash.

Will&Sonny

lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:25 PM
Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:24 PM
LuvingLumi
Jun 16 2013, 10:17 PM
Panda Panda
Jun 16 2013, 10:10 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Like I said before, Days can have a sucky, sucky year....with one major drama filled event, and win the Emmy on the reel alone.....frankly it's just sad.....IMHO I think that next year if GH doesn't win it with the stuff they had going on around the nurses ball, with Stavros and people getting shot, dying, etc...then I would think they were robbed......if anything Days deserved it for writing a set of events that were put together in a submission reel to the academy.....can ANYONE think of what ELSE occurred on Days last year aside from the cliffhanger?
How is this any different than B&B creating social conscience episodes that were written specifically to score Emmy wins and consequently locking the Drama Series category up for three straight years when they weren't at their creative best, or GH's one big explosion-filled event that they do each year to score Emmy wins?

Oh, right. It isn't.

And yes, I can think of plenty of things that occurred on Days last year. Everything that happened in Will's storyline, for starters (which wasn't even featured in either of the two episodes in their reel).
FYI, we've complained about that, too. And a lot of Will's story was terrible and uneven last year.
To be fair, while I obviously disagree with your latter statement, I wasn't necessarily saying that it was Emmy-worthy (although I certainly believe that it was) -- I was just saying that I remember everything that happened in that storyline last year (in response to the previous poster's question, "Can anyone think of what else occurred on Days last year aside from the cliffhanger?").

lysie
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jun 16 2013, 10:38 PM
lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:23 PM
Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:18 PM
lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:16 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepwould win, but I disagree that it's a totally undeserved win. Unexpected, yes, but only because Days has been shut out for so long that people just assume that will continue to be the case every year.

And Chandler abso-fucking-lutely
You're right -- it isn't fair. But I completely understand your point of view.
Don't get the wrong idea. I don't mind it winning at all. Hopefully that will give it some help with advertisers and maybe get some more money thrown at it. But it's kind of bittersweet because last year wasn't very good, and Days has had several good years in the last 30something years it was shut out. Other casts and regimes of the show deserved the recognition more.
This is how I feel. I'm sort of happy that they won but I think it was not a very successful year for Days all around. So for them to win this year when the show pretty much went from bad Higgs to worse MarDar years then IDK. When you think that the likes of the Cruise of Deception, the SSK, The secret room, Maison Blanche, etc...were left out of the win but the show one now after 30 something years without one just feels like there is something wrong.....hoping that Days gets the recognition at least from the suits at NBC,or the advertisers...so that they could infuse the show with some much needed cash.
I think I've made my feelings about the Emmys clear over the years, but the fewer soaps there are the harder it is to really see the point. And honestly, I have a hard time understanding why the actors seem to take it so seriously now when there's so little competition. It's just a flawed system, and at this point I wish they'd just go back to the SOD award format.

DOOLFan85

blueskies
lysie
blueskies
Yup.
It speaks volumes soon as Dena leaves the coop Days wins Best writing and best show two years in a row. :blulaugh:

concerned
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
lysie
Will&Sonny
LuvingLumi
Jun 16 2013, 10:17 PM

How is this any different than B&B creating social conscience episodes that were written specifically to score Emmy wins and consequently locking the Drama Series category up for three straight years when they weren't at their creative best, or GH's one big explosion-filled event that they do each year to score Emmy wins?

Oh, right. It isn't.

And yes, I can think of plenty of things that occurred on Days last year. Everything that happened in Will's storyline, for starters (which wasn't even featured in either of the two episodes in their reel).
FYI, we've complained about that, too. And a lot of Will's story was terrible and uneven last year.
To be fair, while I obviously disagree with your latter statement, I wasn't necessarily saying that it was Emmy-worthy (although I certainly believe that it was) -- I was just saying that I remember everything that happened in that storyline last year (in response to the previous poster's question, "Can anyone think of what else occurred on Days last year aside from the cliffhanger?").
Will had some absolutely kick ass scenes last year its just a lot of them weren't about Sonny or even Will being gay.
He has some great EJ Will power struggle scenes and heading to the darkside with all the blackmail.
He shot Stefano (along with half the rest of the cast)
He was outed in the newspapers after his arrest.
Edited by concerned, Jun 16 2013, 10:49 PM.

LonePirate
Member Avatar

I guess people can view Days' win as either being worthy last year or being a long overdue or payback award for when the show should have rightfully won without object, a better late than never award. Either way, I think the win is good for the show. Between this win and the improved ratings, everybody in front and behind the camera should be giving their best, which hopefully will make the show even better.

Will&Sonny

concerned
Jun 16 2013, 10:45 PM
Will&Sonny
lysie
Will&Sonny

Stefano got shot.
Yeah, and Melanie left -- and as much as most people here seem to absolutely despise her, that should definitely count as a memorable moment.

Will&Sonny

concerned
Will&Sonny
lysie
Will&Sonny

Will had some absolutely kick ass scenes last year its just a lot of them weren't about Sonny or even Will being gay.
When I say "Will's storyline", it's inclusive of everything that Will is involved in, not just the things that involve his sexuality.

lysie
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:47 PM
concerned
Will&Sonny
lysie

Stefano got shot.
Yeah, and Melanie left -- and as much as most people here seem to absolutely despise her, that should definitely count as a memorable moment.
You know what's funny? I actually don't remember it. I feel like she's been gone for years.

blueskies
Member Avatar

LonePirate
Jun 16 2013, 10:46 PM
I guess people can view Days' win as either being worthy last year or being a long overdue or payback award for when the show should have rightfully won without object, a better late than never award. Either way, I think the win is good for the show. Between this win and the improved ratings, everybody in front and behind the camera should be giving their best, which hopefully will make the show even better.
even though i think they deserved it for the eppi's entered, it sorta feels like Susan Lucci winning for Best Actress after all that time....

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:52 PM
Will&Sonny
concerned
Will&Sonny

Stefano got shot.
You know what's funny? I actually don't remember it. I feel like she's been gone for years.
Why did she leave again? I'm drawing a blank here...

LonePirate
Member Avatar

I'm going to throw this out there because I simply don't know one way or the other. Could the show's Drama Series win be helped by the fact that Days is the only current soap doing a full-fledged, equal treatment gay storyline? I know previous gay storylines on AMC, ATWT and OLTL didn't help them win Drama Series; but I'm wondering if that helped persuade a few voters since that is the one major storyline difference between Days and the other soaps.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:52 PM
Will&Sonny
Sometimes I like to pretend her character never existed. Nothing against Molly herself though.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Andy Cohen called out the Daytime Emmys and made them his Jackhole of the Day on What What Happens Live a bit ago. :wub:

T-Love74
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
concerned
Will&Sonny
lysie

Stefano got shot.
And Lexie died

Jason47
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:34 PM
blueskies
lysie
blueskies
Yup.
No, it was MarDar. It was the episode with the snow storm. They didn't submit anything from Dena's time.
Dena did receive an Emmy Award though. Here are the writers who received a Daytime Emmy when Days won in 2012 (for 2011 work):

Marlene McPherson, Darrell Ray Thomas Jr., Dena Higley, David Cherrill, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Rick Draughon, Christopher Dunn, Lacey Dyer, Jeanne Marie Ford, Janet Iacobuzio, David A. Levinson, Michelle Poteet Lisanti, Fran Myers, John Newman, Ryan Quan, Peter T. Rich, Roger Schroeder, Lisa Seidman, Elizabeth Snyder, Christopher Whitesell, Nancy Williams Watt

Will&Sonny

Miss Rhi, no offense is intended here, but I really hate your avatar. :lol:

Yeah, I still can't stand Nick.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply