Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
40th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards; Live Viewing Thread
Topic Started: Jun 16 2013, 11:07 AM (25,375 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:24 PM
LuvingLumi
Jun 16 2013, 10:17 PM
Panda Panda
Jun 16 2013, 10:10 PM
T-Love74
Jun 16 2013, 10:07 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Yeah, if Days manages to keep up with the momentum they gained early this year then they should be pretty big competition for next year's Daytime Emmy's.
Like I said before, Days can have a sucky, sucky year....with one major drama filled event, and win the Emmy on the reel alone.....frankly it's just sad.....IMHO I think that next year if GH doesn't win it with the stuff they had going on around the nurses ball, with Stavros and people getting shot, dying, etc...then I would think they were robbed......if anything Days deserved it for writing a set of events that were put together in a submission reel to the academy.....can ANYONE think of what ELSE occurred on Days last year aside from the cliffhanger?
How is this any different than B&B creating social conscience episodes that were written specifically to score Emmy wins and consequently locking the Drama Series category up for three straight years when they weren't at their creative best, or GH's one big explosion-filled event that they do each year to score Emmy wins?

Oh, right. It isn't.

And yes, I can think of plenty of things that occurred on Days last year. Everything that happened in Will's storyline, for starters (which wasn't even featured in either of the two episodes in their reel).
I'm sorry but I disagree...Will had a story (the coming out), Gabi had a story with Mel/Andrew/Chad and the explosions that caused the Daysaster, Wabi had a story (the baby's conception) and then Wilson had a few scenes...they haven't had a 'story'....what exactly have they done but get together? Nothing...and that doesn't make a story. THIS YEAR I would say they have had more story than last year and they are about to embark on even more story...but last year...Wilson had nothing and I've been waiting for something for them since they started flirting with the idea.

And let me make myself clear, I'm not criticizing Days for doing a set of 'events' that might get them an Emmy...what I'm criticizing is last year's attempt to do that....they had ONE event.....ONE....at the very least give me a few in the year block them around sweeps periods, then your chances of 'winning' become greater.....lol....for what it's worth, I think they'd done a better job of that this year.....they've started the year with a bunch of things that can get them another emmy win next year....in Jan they had the Wabi baby reveal, then May had the Nabi fallout, Jensen and the Will shooting/Ari's birth....now this month the Bernardi shooting.....obviously the year is still many months from ending and we have at least one more major sweeps period left that they might decide to throw something in....
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

Jason47
Jun 16 2013, 11:03 PM
lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:34 PM
blueskies
Jun 16 2013, 10:33 PM
lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:30 PM

was that for Marlene and Darrell then too? Or am I making that up...who was before them? Was it Dena? That seems wrong though....like, she wasn't that recent.
No, it was MarDar. It was the episode with the snow storm. They didn't submit anything from Dena's time.
Dena did receive an Emmy Award though. Here are the writers who received a Daytime Emmy when Days won in 2012 (for 2011 work):

Marlene McPherson, Darrell Ray Thomas Jr., Dena Higley, David Cherrill, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Rick Draughon, Christopher Dunn, Lacey Dyer, Jeanne Marie Ford, Janet Iacobuzio, David A. Levinson, Michelle Poteet Lisanti, Fran Myers, John Newman, Ryan Quan, Peter T. Rich, Roger Schroeder, Lisa Seidman, Elizabeth Snyder, Christopher Whitesell, Nancy Williams Watt
It was MarDar, too. DAYS submitted two episodes. One being the Daysaster and second being the snow storm. IDK if MarDar officially wrote it or not, but she was credited for it, so by law she won too.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Couldn't be more ecstatic for DAYS. Yeah, 2012 was crap overall but I'm looking at it as a much deserved and long overdue win for the years they probably should have won.

I do hate how just a few episodes can cause anyone to win but it is what it is.

Julie Marie Berman and Kristen Alderson winning? Seriously? Oh my.

Billy Miller and Scott Clifton tying? Meh, but I think they can both bring it at times, though they rely on a lot of poor acting choices IMO. But I like them fine.

YAY to Doug Davidson! His win made me extremely happy.

Was nice to see Chandler win (again) and I love the shout out he gave to Freddie. I personally think Max Erich has done some great work too. I see all three again in it next year. Gonna be tough because IMO, this year was even better for all three. And frankly, Freddie has already had better material this year so it could be a pretty nice race next year again.

I love Heather Tom so yay for her. Again.

Was rooting for Arianne Zucker and Peggy McCay but the fact that they were nominated was amazing in itself (after seeing DAYS shut out for SO long) and DAYS winning best drama makes up for it all and having to sit through that trainwreck of an awards show.

annie21

As I understand it, MarDar originally conceived and mapped out the entire Daysaster sequence. But then TomSell came in and changed the ending -- you know, a few minor details like who lived and died. LOL! Same for Daniel and Nicole. That was a storyline that had gone on for months prior -- throughout most of Nicole's pregnancy. TomSell came in and changed up the ending, and I'm pretty sure at the time of that multi-day sequence there was a lot of virtual eye-rolling and unintentional humor that was cited here at DR, with several viewers calling BS on the entire way it was handled. Other than Ari's performance, I don't recall anybody calling that episode being award-worthy for the show.

I'm all for shows getting recognized for outstanding work. But Days was not outstanding as a show last year. I worry that rewarding them for mediocrity only reinforces more mediocrity. People can dismiss me as a "hater," but in fact I'm not. I really would like to be proud of the show again -- and to see it in the hands of talented, caring show-runners who deserve the accolades and have worked hard to earn them.

am103
Member Avatar

Ugh, I just don't get the fuss over Heather Tom. I really don't. That was totally Susan's award.

Re-watching to catch Chandler's win. Figures, I turned the channel when B&B won for Best Directing because I was annoyed and I totally missed Chandler's win.

Still in awe over the Days upset at the end. What a deserving cast and crew!

james0479
Member Avatar

lazydazes
Jun 16 2013, 10:09 PM
I fell off the damned sofa when DAYS won. Shocked isn`t the word. But I was fuckin` proud to see the show that I`ve invested 25 years in walk away with the golden statue. And frankly, I`m tired of the rest of the industry thumbing their nose down at them. So, hell yeah to DAYS big win.
:applause: :cheers: :yahoo:

stormymac
Member Avatar

Nate
Jun 16 2013, 11:05 PM
Jason47
lysie
blueskies

No, it was MarDar. It was the episode with the snow storm. They didn't submit anything from Dena's time.
Dena did receive an Emmy Award though. Here are the writers who received a Daytime Emmy when Days won in 2012 (for 2011 work):

Marlene McPherson, Darrell Ray Thomas Jr., Dena Higley, David Cherrill, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Rick Draughon, Christopher Dunn, Lacey Dyer, Jeanne Marie Ford, Janet Iacobuzio, David A. Levinson, Michelle Poteet Lisanti, Fran Myers, John Newman, Ryan Quan, Peter T. Rich, Roger Schroeder, Lisa Seidman, Elizabeth Snyder, Christopher Whitesell, Nancy Williams Watt
It was MarDar, too. DAYS submitted two episodes. One being the Daysaster and second being the snow storm. IDK if MarDar officially wrote it or not, but she was credited for it, so by law she won too.
They're on the list.

Will&Sonny

LuvingLumi
Jun 16 2013, 11:04 PM
Will&Sonny
Jun 16 2013, 10:24 PM
LuvingLumi
Jun 16 2013, 10:17 PM
Panda Panda
Jun 16 2013, 10:10 PM

Like I said before, Days can have a sucky, sucky year....with one major drama filled event, and win the Emmy on the reel alone.....frankly it's just sad.....IMHO I think that next year if GH doesn't win it with the stuff they had going on around the nurses ball, with Stavros and people getting shot, dying, etc...then I would think they were robbed......if anything Days deserved it for writing a set of events that were put together in a submission reel to the academy.....can ANYONE think of what ELSE occurred on Days last year aside from the cliffhanger?
How is this any different than B&B creating social conscience episodes that were written specifically to score Emmy wins and consequently locking the Drama Series category up for three straight years when they weren't at their creative best, or GH's one big explosion-filled event that they do each year to score Emmy wins?

Oh, right. It isn't.

And yes, I can think of plenty of things that occurred on Days last year. Everything that happened in Will's storyline, for starters (which wasn't even featured in either of the two episodes in their reel).
I'm sorry but I disagree...Will had a story (the coming out), Gabi had a story with Mel/Andrew/Chad and the explosions that caused the Daysaster, Wabi had a story (the baby's conception) and then Wilson had a few scenes...they haven't had a 'story'....what exactly have they done but get together? Nothing...and that doesn't make a story. THIS YEAR I would say they have had more story than last year and they are about to embark on even more story...but last year...Wilson had nothing and I've been waiting for something for them since they started flirting with the idea.

And let me make myself clear, I'm not criticizing Days for doing a set of 'events' that might get them an Emmy...what I'm criticizing is last year's attempt to do that....they had ONE event.....ONE....at the very least give me a few in the year block them around sweeps periods, then your chances of 'winning' become greater.....lol....for what it's worth, I think they'd done a better job of that this year.....they've started the year with a bunch of things that can get them another emmy win next year....in Jan they had the Wabi baby reveal, then May had the Nabi fallout, Jensen and the Will shooting/Ari's birth....now this month the Bernardi shooting.....obviously the year is still many months from ending and we have at least one more major sweeps period left that they might decide to throw something in....
Will admitting to himself and everyone else that he was gay was a storyline. Will and Sonny getting together was a storyline. Will's feud with Stefano that made him a suspect in Stefano's "murder" was a storyline. Will had plenty of storylines last year. I never mentioned anything about Will and Sonny's storyline. That wasn't what I was talking about at all. That's part of Will's storyline, yes -- a huge part that I love -- but that's not all of it. My point was simply that Will (from the point where Chandler Massey assumed the role, anyway) is my favorite character on the show and I remember everything that happens in his storyline, so I disagree with your previous implication that the only memorable thing that happened on the show last year was the cliffhanger. That's all that I was saying. It really had nothing to do with the amount of airtime that Will and Sonny did or did not receive as a couple last year.

As for the "event episodes" issue...each show can only submit two episodes (and that's a new development as of this year -- before, they could only submit one episode), so doing multiple "events" throughout the year would not increase a show's chances of winning, if the voters were basing their votes on what they are supposed to be basing their votes on.

lysie
Member Avatar

Jason47
lysie
blueskies
lysie
Jun 16 2013, 10:30 PM

was that for Marlene and Darrell then too? Or am I making that up...who was before them? Was it Dena? That seems wrong though....like, she wasn't that recent.

Oh, that's right. I forgot about that. Because we all thought it was weird that all of their names were included.

blueskies
Member Avatar

are they doing interviews with the later winners (ie Chandler & the whole Days cast)?

blueskies
Member Avatar

btw, has anyone seen this on HLN? They have Susan mistaken for Louise Sorel. I was very confused for a second b/c I thought they had put Julie on the list of top soap villans ever...

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/06/15/soap-opera-villains-bad-guys-daytime-emmys

annie21

james0479
Jun 16 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm truly shocked that Days won because its always a sure thing that we won't win! But ya know what....haters hate! Days hasn't been as crappy as people spend hours daily saying it is, IMO. I'm shocked but pleased and literally stood to my feet and gasped when they won. Good for DAYS! And...if they keep up what they've been doing lately, we will get it again next year!
On bolded... that's high praise indeed! ;)

Sorry, James. I really like you and your posts, but those of us who are dissatisfied with the overall quality of the show aren't necessarily wrong -- nor does that mean we are "haters." I can agree that there are moments here and there where there's a good line of dialogue or an excellent performance or a cleverly lined up shot or a well-choreographed stunt. But I can't agree that a few individual moments here and there make for a well-crafted show that is consistently firing on all cylinders. Days misses more than it hits -- and that was certainly the case last year.

Jason47
Member Avatar

blueskies
Jun 16 2013, 11:21 PM
btw, has anyone seen this on HLN? They have Susan mistaken for Louise Sorel. I was very confused for a second b/c I thought they had put Julie on the list of top soap villans ever...

The HLN production team did such a good job on the telecast, that's surprising!! :lol:

Having attended some of the Daytime Emmys in the late 1990s/early 2000s, Dick Clark ran such a tight ship back then, and such a professional broadcast. His death was such a loss to the TV industry.

Edited by Jason47, Jun 16 2013, 11:36 PM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Oh my fucking GOD!! Just finished watching as DAYs won!!! I never thought I would see the day tbh...I am sure everyone in that room was rocked by that win...but the other soaps can suck it...finally!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

EJ_SamiFF
Jun 16 2013, 09:49 PM
This is like Passions winning best drama for me..wtf
Welcome to my world watching GH win year after year for absolute shit material!

Ian H
Member Avatar

congrats to days!! :cheer: :cheer: i was also surprised. but next year i will not be surprised if they win again and congrats to Chandler!!

james0479
Member Avatar

annie21
Jun 16 2013, 11:25 PM
james0479
Jun 16 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm truly shocked that Days won because its always a sure thing that we won't win! But ya know what....haters hate! Days hasn't been as crappy as people spend hours daily saying it is, IMO. I'm shocked but pleased and literally stood to my feet and gasped when they won. Good for DAYS! And...if they keep up what they've been doing lately, we will get it again next year!
On bolded... that's high praise indeed! ;)

Sorry, James. I really like you and your posts, but those of us who are dissatisfied with the overall quality of the show aren't necessarily wrong -- nor does that mean we are "haters." I can agree that there are moments here and there where there's a good line of dialogue or an excellent performance or a cleverly lined up shot or a well-choreographed stunt. But I can't agree that a few individual moments here and there make for a well-crafted show that is consistently firing on all cylinders. Days misses more than it hits -- and that was certainly the case last year.

"Haters" is really a dumb word that I regret using as I don't find people who disagree with the direction or lack there of for a show we all enjoy to a degree haters lol. Everyone's opinions are beyond valid which is why this board is better than any show on television. I don't think Days is the best it's ever been or the worst it's ever been but I'm loving it right now. Whether Days deserved the win for Best Drama for this particular year can be argued as much as some years when shows won the same award and that choice was argued. For me, as a fully addicted hardcore fan thru thick and oh so very thin since 1991, it was the coolest thing to see my underdog show steal the show and win that coveted award. There were many years when Days earned it, IMO, and wasn't even nominated. It was a cool shocker and I'm ectastic. And like I said before, if they keep up the momentum they've held since before May Sweeps, next year could be cool as well! Maybe I'm too much of a fanboy, but I felt like I was right up on that stage with them. It was just....a total badass surprise. :). Oh...and thanks...I like you and your posts as well!

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Will&Sonny
Miss Rhi, no offense is intended here, but I really hate your avatar. :lol:

Yeah, I still can't stand Nick.
I had been thinking of changing it to something else recently but now...... :whistle:

james0479
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Jun 17 2013, 12:10 AM
Will&Sonny
Miss Rhi, no offense is intended here, but I really hate your avatar. :lol:

Yeah, I still can't stand Nick.
I had been thinking of changing it to something else recently but now...... :whistle:
I love it. Cracks me up every time I see Mr Thang swinging that "oh no you didn't" finger around.

Bremol
Member Avatar

The best part of the whole show was watching Susan Flannery's reactions. Bahahaha. Woman was not impressed at all. And rightfully so. This was just crap. It's sad when a whole year of prep time produces a show worse than last minute/barely any prep time.

Loved Corbin 'talking' for his mom...lol From everything I've read about the woman, it was perfect.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply