Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Friday, June 21st Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 21 2013, 07:06 AM (17,288 Views)
S loves EJ

ladyofthelake
Jun 23 2013, 10:02 AM
S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 01:37 AM

I agree that rape is worse than adultery, but I agree that soaps are immoral and therefore maybe not for people that are to religious. The show would be boring if it was going by the bibel, not to say that serious issues shouldnīt be discussed or that it isnīt possible for the show to take it to far.
One doesn't have to be "religious" to necessarily find rape stories repugnant. And, if you've read the Bible (particularly the Old Testament), you already know that there's a heck of a lot of stuff in there that's NOT boring! Basically, a lot of soap plots and storylines could have been ripped right FROM the Bible!

I didnīt say you have to be religious to find rape stories repugnant. I was talking about soaps being immoral in general. I donīt get people that say that Days preach family values and therefore wrong to do gay storylines.

I also didnīt mean that the bibel is boring but it would be boring if character were not allow to cheat, committ attempted murders it wouldnīt be a soap then.
Edited by S loves EJ, Jun 23 2013, 10:26 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jun 23 2013, 09:54 AM
What I don't get is how Days' treatment of rape is different than their treatment of any other crime. They regularly gloss over the fallout of EVERYTHING - rape, beatings, murder, kidnapping, etc. Obviously rape is one of the more heinous of these crimes, but it is definitely not unique in being written as no big deal a few months later.
Because in real life victims of blackmail, kidnapping, beatings and the families of murder victims have an easier time getting justice. In real life many victims of rape are treated like "whores who are lying"

For example, that 16-year-old girl in Ohio who was stripped and pissed on in front of people who laughed and took pictures instead of helping her. Her case was proved in court, the guilty convicted. She is still being called a whore, and she recieved death threats from neighbors and people she thought were her friends, when there is video and photographic evidence she is the victim.

A famous tennis player just brought the girl up in a recent interview to criticize her for getting drunk, instead of the guys who assaulted an unconsious victim.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Serena-Williams-Criticizes-16-Year-Old-Rape-4608393.php

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/03/hackers-produce-disturbing-video-evidence-in-ohio-gang-rape-case/
Edited by TreasureCove, Jun 23 2013, 11:02 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

BeeBee
Member Avatar

angie37
Jun 23 2013, 05:18 AM
Of course soaps are going to have events/things/storylines that pass the envelope, but the issue with Days is that it doesn't handle those issues well in many cases, case in point, rape. In most instances, it is written and then passed off as anything except what it is-- a crime of violence. Now, if I felt that this scenario with Eric/Kristen would be handled responsibly or truthfully, I'd have no problem. Instead, I'm already prepared for the day when he remembers his "passionate encounter" with her and then she ends up pregnant or something (if she succeeds in raping him) and then all is written off as their simply having had sex.

It's wrong, pure and simple, and TPTB at Days should steer clear of this topic forever because it's always swept under the rug. They don't like dealing with the results/consequences of rape, then they shouldn't write it in the first place.
I agree with you about the treatment of rape but I also agree with the post that said it is not likely Kristin and Eric will actually have sex.I guess short changing on the spoilers is likely increasing viewers.I know I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with Nicole,Eric,and Kristen on Monday or Tuesday if they really drag this out by focusing on EJ,Sami,Will,Sonny,etc.
Edited by BeeBee, Jun 23 2013, 11:29 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 10:22 AM
ladyofthelake
Jun 23 2013, 10:02 AM
S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 01:37 AM

I agree that rape is worse than adultery, but I agree that soaps are immoral and therefore maybe not for people that are to religious. The show would be boring if it was going by the bibel, not to say that serious issues shouldnīt be discussed or that it isnīt possible for the show to take it to far.
One doesn't have to be "religious" to necessarily find rape stories repugnant. And, if you've read the Bible (particularly the Old Testament), you already know that there's a heck of a lot of stuff in there that's NOT boring! Basically, a lot of soap plots and storylines could have been ripped right FROM the Bible!

I didnīt say you have to be religious to find rape stories repugnant. I was talking about soaps being immoral in general. I donīt get people that say that Days preach family values and therefore wrong to do gay storylines.

I also didnīt mean that the bibel is boring but it would be boring if character were not allow to cheat, committ attempted murders it wouldnīt be a soap then.
OK
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

concerned
Jun 23 2013, 05:30 AM
Sweet and Salty
Jun 22 2013, 07:27 PM
JarlenaLante
Jun 22 2013, 11:01 AM
Gods, raping a priest has made Kristen 1,000% irredeemable. This has left SUCH a bad taste in my mouth it's not even funny. Maybe it's because this is coming on the heels of GH handling rape in an extremely insensitive way recently, but what Kristen just did was not enjoyable to watch. AT ALL.
99% of Soaps are immoral. Rape is no worse than adultery. I'm not condoning it in any which way. It's just when we become tolerant of one "immoral" behavior, and become intolerant to another, we come across as the "H" word. (After what happened to Paula Deen today I figure I better watch my word, in case the Word Police are watching).
Rape is no worse than adultery.

I so strongly strongly disagree with that statement I just could not let it past.
I just find it baffling that anyone would consider rape "no worse" than adultry, even if it's on a TV show. Esp on a show that's prided themselves on "dealing with social issues". Adultry is consensual, rape is violence. Adultry doesn't lead to jail in any functioning society, rape does.
Offline Profile Goto Top

marie1969

concerned
Jun 21 2013, 07:23 PM
Pookie
Jun 21 2013, 06:39 PM
Panda Panda
Jun 21 2013, 06:36 PM
LanaluvsBroe
Jun 21 2013, 06:32 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Yeah but she wasn't wearing her disguise when she came back and if she set up a camera there were plenty of opportunities for her to be caught. I don't know, it;s pretty weird. I wished they just told us what she was planning to do instead of turning it into another mini mystery.
It is weird. I notice she changed into lingerie when she left the room and kept the wig off. Maybe she didn't want "Faye Taylor" and the woman seducing Father Eric connected. But, like you said, she's no longer in a disguise. Eric might not remember her, but she would certainly be recognized in a picture by others. Does she WANT to be recognized?

ETA: Maybe she wants Eric to wake up addled and naked with the wig next to him and vaguely remembering having sex with a woman he can't quite remember?
Maybe she wants to be recognised.
Maybe she's going to send the video to Marlena
Then Eric will have no memory of it and Marlena will have the dilemma of whether to tell him or not.

I think that is the plan. She wants Marlena to know she had a full serving of her son. Marlena will know what's going on but won't be able to prove it. They made it point to let the viewers know that the drug was totally untraceable. The church and the town might even think it was consensual sex which will tarnish Eric's reputation and humiliate him while Marlena will be powerless.

Of course, this is a stupid plan which is going to blow up in her face. She will lose Brady for good and her stupid scheme is also going to drive a wedge between her and the one person who cares about her, Eej. Let's face if Ej has to choose between his family with Samantha and his other family, he will choose his Samantha everything no question asked.

I stand by what I said before. Using Marlena's kids to get to her is being a coward. I would root for Kristen if she went after Marlena directly by facing her woman to woman bitch to bitch. May the best worst one win.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

marie1969
Jun 23 2013, 11:58 AM

concerned
Pookie
Panda Panda
Jun 21 2013, 06:36 PM

It is weird. I notice she changed into lingerie when she left the room and kept the wig off. Maybe she didn't want "Faye Taylor" and the woman seducing Father Eric connected. But, like you said, she's no longer in a disguise. Eric might not remember her, but she would certainly be recognized in a picture by others. Does she WANT to be recognized?

ETA: Maybe she wants Eric to wake up addled and naked with the wig next to him and vaguely remembering having sex with a woman he can't quite remember?
Then Eric will have no memory of it and Marlena will have the dilemma of whether to tell him or not.

I think that is the plan. She wants Marlena to know she had a full serving of her son. Marlena will know what's going on but won't be able to prove it. They made it point to let the viewers know that the drug was totally untraceable. The church and the town might even think it was consensual sex which will tarnish Eric's reputation and humiliate him while Marlena will be powerless.

Of course, this is a stupid plan which is going to blow up in her face. She will lose Brady for good and her stupid scheme is also going to drive a wedge between her and the one person who cares about her, Eej. Let's face if Ej has to choose between his family with Samantha and his other family, he will choose his Samantha everything no question asked.

I stand by what I said before. Using Marlena's kids to get to her is being a coward. I would root for Kristen if she went after Marlena directly by facing her woman to woman bitch to bitch. May the best worst one win.
Yeah, but Kristen has already done that and lost. So the kids are next.
Offline Profile Goto Top

marie1969

lazydazes
Jun 21 2013, 10:23 PM
I don`t like the non-consensual aspect of it. ITA about it being like a man slipping something into a woman`s drink and taking advantage of her. And that`s exactly what kristen has done to eric. I don`t like that one bit. DAYS really needs to hang up these non-consensual plot points in their storytelling. Its distasteful.
Exactly how is this hurting marlena. Frankly, kristen has no one but herself to blame for her predicament.
So count me in too as one that didn`t enjoy the sexual assault of eric.
I am with you on this. I don't see how this is going to destroy Marlena either. All this will do is piss her off and she will go after Kristen to make her pay. Sure, she will feel bad for Eric, but thinking this is going to destroy Marlena is giving too much credit to her stupid plan. It is not even going to destroy Eric. After the initial fallout, it will just free him to be with Nicole. Stupid twisted plan Kristen. She may even end up losing more than her target,
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

:yawnz:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

Wait a minute! Weren't they reading "The Scarlet Letter" at the book club meeting? Could Nicole unwittingly have sex with Eric, get pregnant without even HIM realizing that he fathered the baby, and hold her head high while the town passes judgement (because, you know, they are all such saints)?
Offline Profile Goto Top

marie1969

lysie
Jun 23 2013, 12:11 PM
marie1969

concerned
Pookie

you mean years ago? I agree and that was entertaining because it involved two strong women battle it out and taking no prisoners.

IMO, the Misten warfare ended in a tie. Kristen has successfully destroyed Jarlena's marriage and Marlena has successfully destroyed any chance for love and Happiness for Kristen with Brady.

Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

marie1969
Jun 23 2013, 12:27 PM
lysie
Jun 23 2013, 12:11 PM
marie1969

concerned

you mean years ago? I agree and that was entertaining because it involved two strong women battle it out and taking no prisoners.

IMO, the Misten warfare ended in a tie. Kristen has successfully destroyed Jarlena's marriage and Marlena has successfully destroyed any chance for love and Happiness for Kristen with Brady.

Yes, I mean years ago and I agree it was entertaining. But I think it makes sense that Kristen would change tactics since that didn't work out too well for her before. Going after Brady did achieve breaking up John and Marlena so it makes sense that her next target would be Eric. But Kristen is crazy. Her plans aren't supposed to be rooted in logic.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

I just want Eric out of the damn priesthood. It's boring and wastes him as a character.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Cathalina
Jun 23 2013, 07:54 AM
concerned
Sweet and Salty
JarlenaLante
Jun 22 2013, 11:01 AM
Gods, raping a priest has made Kristen 1,000% irredeemable. This has left SUCH a bad taste in my mouth it's not even funny. Maybe it's because this is coming on the heels of GH handling rape in an extremely insensitive way recently, but what Kristen just did was not enjoyable to watch. AT ALL.
99% of Soaps are immoral. Rape is no worse than adultery. I'm not condoning it in any which way. It's just when we become tolerant of one "immoral" behavior, and become intolerant to another, we come across as the "H" word. (After what happened to Paula Deen today I figure I better watch my word, in case the Word Police are watching).

I so strongly strongly disagree with that statement I just could not let it past.
Wow! Just wow!

Rape is a crime of violence or control where one party either physically overpowers the victim or uses extortion. It is a crime of physical violence or emotional violence. It's victims are scarred.

Adultery is when two people have consensual sex and one or both parties are married to other people.

How they are equivalent wrongs?
Well I stirred up a hornets nest!! Since this is a board to discuss Fridays episode, my explaining my position here probably wouldn't be appreciated. Since I was asked, however, I'll just state that I totally appreciate and understand the logic of rape being worse than adulatory. As humans it's easy to view one "immorality" as worse than another. I'm looking at this not as a moral issue but a sin issue. You can PM me if you want more of my understanding on that cuz this isn't probably the place for this discussion. I will, however, say that adultery also consists of people being scarred, damaged, trust violated. When you commit adulatory, you are injuring you spouse emotionally, spiritually and physically as well. Two consenting adults are still "overpowering", disregarding the third person who most likely is in the dark, and therefore being lied to. As a victim of rape and domestic violence, physically, emotionally and verbally; having lived through a parent being cheated on and seeing my father go through the absolute horror of finding out my mother cheated on him, my experience has been its all hell. It's all damaging beyond what any human can deal with on their own.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 03:04 PM
Cathalina
Jun 23 2013, 07:54 AM
concerned
Sweet and Salty

Wow! Just wow!

Rape is a crime of violence or control where one party either physically overpowers the victim or uses extortion. It is a crime of physical violence or emotional violence. It's victims are scarred.

Adultery is when two people have consensual sex and one or both parties are married to other people.

How they are equivalent wrongs?
Well I stirred up a hornets nest!! Since this is a board to discuss Fridays episode, my explaining my position here probably wouldn't be appreciated. Since I was asked, however, I'll just state that I totally appreciate and understand the logic of rape being worse than adulatory. As humans it's easy to view one "immorality" as worse than another. I'm looking at this not as a moral issue but a sin issue. You can PM me if you want more of my understanding on that cuz this isn't probably the place for this discussion. I will, however, say that adultery also consists of people being scarred, damaged, trust violated. When you commit adulatory, you are injuring you spouse emotionally, spiritually and physically as well. Two consenting adults are still "overpowering", disregarding the third person who most likely is in the dark, and therefore being lied to. As a victim of rape and domestic violence, physically, emotionally and verbally; having lived through a parent being cheated on and seeing my father go through the absolute horror of finding out my mother cheated on him, my experience has been its all hell. It's all damaging beyond what any human can deal with on their own.
Since I flapped my gums in public, I'll also apologize in public. I respect your position and should have acknowledged that adultery is not a victimless offense. I am sorry, and also sorry that you went through that.

Still, in society a cheated on spouse is viewed as a victim. Sometimes, a rape victim, not so much. This is why the whitewashing of rape grates on me so badly.

Again, should not have phrased it the way I did. Public apology here.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

LuvingLumi
Jun 23 2013, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I'm not even going to compare rape to adultery. Both are wrong but one is an encounter of two CONSENTING adults and one is an crime of violence and power. They are NOT equal....you can go to jail for rape....but not adultery.....

I don't have issues with rape stories on soaps. Unfortunately rape is a part of real life and soaps SHOULD tackle real life issues as part of stories they depict.....my main issue is when they try to glorify rape, reward a rapist, sweep the rape under the rug, whitewash the characters that committed it and then try to write it as a romance....it's vile and disgusting and I just hope that Days doesn't ONCE AGAIN go down that road here with Kristen and Eric.....because if that is what they are planning, then it's beyond ridiculous and I've hung on after the most disgusting storyline IMHO that Days has ever depicted but if they go there again with Eric and Kristen then I just might turn off the tv and forget about Days altogether.
There is a third person no one seems to be considering. Two people are consenting, but is the third person who is fully trusting their spouse? Also, there are other countries besides America. Some countries condemn people to death for adultory.
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

While cheating is wrong I donīt think anyone deserves to die for it, those laws are crazy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 03:31 PM
LuvingLumi
Yeah, I'm not even going to compare rape to adultery. Both are wrong but one is an encounter of two CONSENTING adults and one is an crime of violence and power. They are NOT equal....you can go to jail for rape....but not adultery.....

I don't have issues with rape stories on soaps. Unfortunately rape is a part of real life and soaps SHOULD tackle real life issues as part of stories they depict.....my main issue is when they try to glorify rape, reward a rapist, sweep the rape under the rug, whitewash the characters that committed it and then try to write it as a romance....it's vile and disgusting and I just hope that Days doesn't ONCE AGAIN go down that road here with Kristen and Eric.....because if that is what they are planning, then it's beyond ridiculous and I've hung on after the most disgusting storyline IMHO that Days has ever depicted but if they go there again with Eric and Kristen then I just might turn off the tv and forget about Days altogether.
There is a third person no one seems to be considering. Two people are consenting, but is the third person who is fully trusting their spouse? Also, there are other countries besides America. Some countries condemn people to death for adultory.
Yeah generally only the women who commit adultery and maybe the lesser male get punished.

The alpha male can get away with whatever he wants.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 03:31 PM
LuvingLumi

Being a victim of adultery and being a victim of rape are pretty vastly different. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd much rather someone cheat on me than rape me. But it's not some sort of competition between who is the bigger victim and who is the bigger jerk. Ultimately, Salem is in America, and in America one of these actions is a crime and the other isn't. Days doesn't seem to handle the consequences of either action very well anymore.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 10:58 AM
tomsawyer
Jun 23 2013, 09:54 AM
What I don't get is how Days' treatment of rape is different than their treatment of any other crime. They regularly gloss over the fallout of EVERYTHING - rape, beatings, murder, kidnapping, etc. Obviously rape is one of the more heinous of these crimes, but it is definitely not unique in being written as no big deal a few months later.
Because in real life victims of blackmail, kidnapping, beatings and the families of murder victims have an easier time getting justice. In real life many victims of rape are treated like "whores who are lying"

For example, that 16-year-old girl in Ohio who was stripped and pissed on in front of people who laughed and took pictures instead of helping her. Her case was proved in court, the guilty convicted. She is still being called a whore, and she recieved death threats from neighbors and people she thought were her friends, when there is video and photographic evidence she is the victim.

A famous tennis player just brought the girl up in a recent interview to criticize her for getting drunk, instead of the guys who assaulted an unconsious victim.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Serena-Williams-Criticizes-16-Year-Old-Rape-4608393.php

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/03/hackers-produce-disturbing-video-evidence-in-ohio-gang-rape-case/
Despicable. My son is a Criminal Justice major. According to him, rape is the crime least likely to be brought to justice. Having witnessed rape and violence first hand, his goal in life is to bring rapists to justice.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic