Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Friday, June 21st Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 21 2013, 07:06 AM (16,993 Views)
S loves EJ

LuvingLumi
Jun 23 2013, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I'm not even going to compare rape to adultery. Both are wrong but one is an encounter of two CONSENTING adults and one is an crime of violence and power. They are NOT equal....you can go to jail for rape....but not adultery.....

I don't have issues with rape stories on soaps. Unfortunately rape is a part of real life and soaps SHOULD tackle real life issues as part of stories they depict.....my main issue is when they try to glorify rape, reward a rapist, sweep the rape under the rug, whitewash the characters that committed it and then try to write it as a romance....it's vile and disgusting and I just hope that Days doesn't ONCE AGAIN go down that road here with Kristen and Eric.....because if that is what they are planning, then it's beyond ridiculous and I've hung on after the most disgusting storyline IMHO that Days has ever depicted but if they go there again with Eric and Kristen then I just might turn off the tv and forget about Days altogether.

The thing is the writers wasn´t planning on Writing a lovestory between a rapist and a victim or to whitewash it, they failed to see the potentiell in Ejami as a couple before it was to late. Soaps dreams of finding a rating gold couple and they found it in Ejami but to late. And while Sami was a victim I feel like so are JS and AS since they got stuck between fanbases because of it, and I know JS is sick of hearing about and getting hatemails, and even getting psysical getting attacked out on the street.
Online Profile Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

I think we should all be grateful that Days doesn't handle their rape storylines the same way that Passion used to do. :drunk:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Cathalina
Jun 23 2013, 03:14 PM
Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 03:04 PM
Cathalina
Jun 23 2013, 07:54 AM
concerned
Jun 23 2013, 05:30 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Wow! Just wow!

Rape is a crime of violence or control where one party either physically overpowers the victim or uses extortion. It is a crime of physical violence or emotional violence. It's victims are scarred.

Adultery is when two people have consensual sex and one or both parties are married to other people.

How they are equivalent wrongs?
Well I stirred up a hornets nest!! Since this is a board to discuss Fridays episode, my explaining my position here probably wouldn't be appreciated. Since I was asked, however, I'll just state that I totally appreciate and understand the logic of rape being worse than adulatory. As humans it's easy to view one "immorality" as worse than another. I'm looking at this not as a moral issue but a sin issue. You can PM me if you want more of my understanding on that cuz this isn't probably the place for this discussion. I will, however, say that adultery also consists of people being scarred, damaged, trust violated. When you commit adulatory, you are injuring you spouse emotionally, spiritually and physically as well. Two consenting adults are still "overpowering", disregarding the third person who most likely is in the dark, and therefore being lied to. As a victim of rape and domestic violence, physically, emotionally and verbally; having lived through a parent being cheated on and seeing my father go through the absolute horror of finding out my mother cheated on him, my experience has been its all hell. It's all damaging beyond what any human can deal with on their own.
Since I flapped my gums in public, I'll also apologize in public. I respect your position and should have acknowledged that adultery is not a victimless offense. I am sorry, and also sorry that you went through that.

Still, in society a cheated on spouse is viewed as a victim. Sometimes, a rape victim, not so much. This is why the whitewashing of rape grates on me so badly.

Again, should not have phrased it the way I did. Public apology here.
Totally, totally get it, believe me. Totally sweet of you too apologize. No offense taken whatsoever. You made my night. :thanks:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

marie1969
Jun 23 2013, 12:11 PM
lazydazes
Jun 21 2013, 10:23 PM
I don`t like the non-consensual aspect of it. ITA about it being like a man slipping something into a woman`s drink and taking advantage of her. And that`s exactly what kristen has done to eric. I don`t like that one bit. DAYS really needs to hang up these non-consensual plot points in their storytelling. Its distasteful.
Exactly how is this hurting marlena. Frankly, kristen has no one but herself to blame for her predicament.
So count me in too as one that didn`t enjoy the sexual assault of eric.
I am with you on this. I don't see how this is going to destroy Marlena either. All this will do is piss her off and she will go after Kristen to make her pay. Sure, she will feel bad for Eric, but thinking this is going to destroy Marlena is giving too much credit to her stupid plan. It is not even going to destroy Eric. After the initial fallout, it will just free him to be with Nicole. Stupid twisted plan Kristen. She may even end up losing more than her target,
She's crazy. Do you really expect her to think/plan rationally anyhow? ^_^
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Cathalina
Jun 23 2013, 12:14 PM
Wait a minute! Weren't they reading "The Scarlet Letter" at the book club meeting? Could Nicole unwittingly have sex with Eric, get pregnant without even HIM realizing that he fathered the baby, and hold her head high while the town passes judgement (because, you know, they are all such saints)?
Wow. I totally forgot about that!
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

Panda Panda
Jun 23 2013, 04:41 PM
I think we should all be grateful that Days doesn't handle their rape storylines the same way that Passion used to do. :drunk:
what, you don't want to see Brady lashed to a chair with a crazy person bent on tormenting his family but in love with him raping him?

and then whatever the heck they did with Fancy and Luis....
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 04:39 PM
LuvingLumi
Yeah, I'm not even going to compare rape to adultery. Both are wrong but one is an encounter of two CONSENTING adults and one is an crime of violence and power. They are NOT equal....you can go to jail for rape....but not adultery.....

I don't have issues with rape stories on soaps. Unfortunately rape is a part of real life and soaps SHOULD tackle real life issues as part of stories they depict.....my main issue is when they try to glorify rape, reward a rapist, sweep the rape under the rug, whitewash the characters that committed it and then try to write it as a romance....it's vile and disgusting and I just hope that Days doesn't ONCE AGAIN go down that road here with Kristen and Eric.....because if that is what they are planning, then it's beyond ridiculous and I've hung on after the most disgusting storyline IMHO that Days has ever depicted but if they go there again with Eric and Kristen then I just might turn off the tv and forget about Days altogether.

The thing is the writers wasn´t planning on Writing a lovestory between a rapist and a victim or to whitewash it, they failed to see the potentiell in Ejami as a couple before it was to late. Soaps dreams of finding a rating gold couple and they found it in Ejami but to late. And while Sami was a victim I feel like so are JS and AS since they got stuck between fanbases because of it, and I know JS is sick of hearing about and getting hatemails, and even getting psysical getting attacked out on the street.
Again, chemistry is subjective. Others see the chemistry and ratings gold that soaps dream of between Lumi, EJole, and Safe. Ejami are together right now, and the ratings are not gold.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

S loves EJ
LuvingLumi

Eh. Welcome to soaps. I don't want to get into the ejami stuff. I don't agree with your assessment but that's neither her nor there when it comes to Kristen. The problem Days has is that they don't follow through on plans. If you're going to write a rape, write the fallout. It doesn't have to be the end of a pairing but it also doesn't have to be whitewashed. Days is thrilled to death to pull off stunts like murders and rapes and beatings and kidnappings but they're not prepared to actually deal with any of it. The dealing with it is the interesting part of the story and that's also they part that they constantly choose to skip over or shorten or blatantly ignore.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

EM, SC, AZ, and DH have all had to dodge punches and have been physically assaulted in the street. Others most likely have to, I just don't know about their run-ins with dangerous fans.

Oh and GG , JR, and RJ have all recieved racist hatemail. I hope the little boy who plays Theo hasn't, or if he has, an adult got to it before he could see it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 05:44 PM
S loves EJ
LuvingLumi

Again, chemistry is subjective. Others see the chemistry and ratings gold that soaps dream of between Lumi, EJole, and Safe. Ejami are together right now, and the ratings are not gold.

I meant they would have been gold if not for the rape.
Online Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 06:03 PM
EM, SC, AZ, and DH have all had to dodge punches and have been physically assaulted in the street. Others most likely have to, I just don't know about their run-ins with dangerous fans.

Oh and GG , JR, and RJ have all recieved racist hatemail. I hope the little boy who plays Theo hasn't, or if he has, an adult got to it before he could see it.
Who's JR and RJ? DHer or DHim?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

James Reynolds (JR) plays Abe, and Renee Jones (RJ) was Lexie.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

DHim. He had to get a restraining order against a woman who thought that when his character exorcised the devil from Marlena on the show, it went into him
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 06:27 PM
DHim. He had to get a restraining order against a woman who thought that when his character exorcised the devil from Marlena on the show, it went into him
No way!! I wonder if BB has gotten his anticipated hate mail/threats for being a homophobe??! Or any threats!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Reese
Jun 23 2013, 06:23 PM
James Reynolds (JR) plays Abe, and Renee Jones (RJ) was Lexie.
Unbelievable.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

supercool74
Jun 22 2013, 12:37 PM
It does seem like they are skipping over some beats in the show. Sami making bail. EJ finding out Sonny saw the video. Those I can kind of dismiss. I really don't care to see Sami any more than she is already on. The Sonny/EJ thing, well there probably wasn't much to show anyway. It would have been one scene with EJ and Chad. Eh. But I do think we should have seen the whole Jennifer and Hope conversation regarding Kristen. Especially after that whole conversation between Jen and Kristen where nothing was ever revealed regarding why the wedding was canceled. I kind of would have liked seeing Jennifer get that information about her supposed friend.

Funny how Will could tell something was bothering Sonny. But I guess Will is really good at hiding his own feelings because you'd think he'd be upset by the whole thing with Adrienne. I'm still waiting for that whole conversation.

As far as the whole Eric/Kristen thing....it doesn't bother me as much as a lot of you. I don't know... We aren't supposed to like what she's doing. What she's doing is evil and terrible...and it's a soap. I wish she had a better plan because so far this just seems weird, its not making a lot of sense...but it isn't making me all queasy. Kristen is an evil, psycho bitch....so yeah. I don't think any actual sex is going to happen though. I'll be surprised if it does. I think he will not remember much and just think it happened with some sort of "proof".
I agree. I would think too that Will would have been depressed or upset about his visit from Adrienne and Sonny would have asked him what was wrong. But the way the scene played out Will did not seem upset about her visit.
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

TreasureCove

Since JS plays such a hated character I would Think he probably been subjected to it more than others, regardless two wrongs doesn´t make one right.
Online Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 06:42 PM
TreasureCove

Since JS plays such a hated character I would Think he probably been subjected to it more than others, regardless two wrongs doesn´t make one right.
I didn't say JS getting hatemail was right! Where did you get that from?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 06:42 PM
TreasureCove

I think what makes me less sympathetic to the plight of JS and AS is their glowing support of the pairing without addressing the rape given the political climate we are in. Acknowledge it. Work through it. Don't come out with the brilliant statement from AS that Sami was not a victim, then have her fall in love with her victim. In a world where a politician can make the statement that if a woman is about to be raped she should just "lie back and enjoy it"statements like AS's are totally irresponsible.

I for one don't buy that the writers did not see the potential in Ejami pre-rape. The characters shared enough scenes. It's a line they never should have crossed, and if they did they shouldn't have shoved the rape under the rug.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 06:34 PM
TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 06:27 PM
No way!! I wonder if BB has gotten his anticipated hate mail/threats for being a homophobe??! Or any threats!
I'd say yes, Brendan Coughlin(Tad) was homophobic for like a week on the show and he had a confrontation at a public birthday party, where he had to explain he wasn't a bigot and very much supported his own cousin who is gay.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic