Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Friday, June 21st Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 21 2013, 07:06 AM (17,289 Views)
concerned
Member Avatar

S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 06:10 PM
TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 05:44 PM
S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 04:39 PM
LuvingLumi
Jun 23 2013, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I'm not even going to compare rape to adultery. Both are wrong but one is an encounter of two CONSENTING adults and one is an crime of violence and power. They are NOT equal....you can go to jail for rape....but not adultery.....

I don't have issues with rape stories on soaps. Unfortunately rape is a part of real life and soaps SHOULD tackle real life issues as part of stories they depict.....my main issue is when they try to glorify rape, reward a rapist, sweep the rape under the rug, whitewash the characters that committed it and then try to write it as a romance....it's vile and disgusting and I just hope that Days doesn't ONCE AGAIN go down that road here with Kristen and Eric.....because if that is what they are planning, then it's beyond ridiculous and I've hung on after the most disgusting storyline IMHO that Days has ever depicted but if they go there again with Eric and Kristen then I just might turn off the tv and forget about Days altogether.

The thing is the writers wasn´t planning on Writing a lovestory between a rapist and a victim or to whitewash it, they failed to see the potentiell in Ejami as a couple before it was to late. Soaps dreams of finding a rating gold couple and they found it in Ejami but to late. And while Sami was a victim I feel like so are JS and AS since they got stuck between fanbases because of it, and I know JS is sick of hearing about and getting hatemails, and even getting psysical getting attacked out on the street.
Again, chemistry is subjective. Others see the chemistry and ratings gold that soaps dream of between Lumi, EJole, and Safe. Ejami are together right now, and the ratings are not gold.

I meant they would have been gold if not for the rape.
IMO I'm not sure the "rape" is the only thing that's holding them back.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 06:52 PM
Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 06:34 PM
TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 06:27 PM
DHim. He had to get a restraining order against a woman who thought that when his character exorcised the devil from Marlena on the show, it went into him
No way!! I wonder if BB has gotten his anticipated hate mail/threats for being a homophobe??! Or any threats!
I'd say yes, Brendan Coughlin(Tad) was homophobic for like a week on the show and he had a confrontation at a public birthday party, where he had to explain he wasn't a bigot and very much supported his own cousin who is gay.
Crazy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

gailwinters
Member Avatar

Cathalina
S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 06:42 PM
TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 06:03 PM
EM, SC, AZ, and DH have all had to dodge punches and have been physically assaulted in the street. Others most likely have to, I just don't know about their run-ins with dangerous fans.

Oh and GG , JR, and RJ have all recieved racist hatemail. I hope the little boy who plays Theo hasn't, or if he has, an adult got to it before he could see it.

Since JS plays such a hated character I would Think he probably been subjected to it more than others, regardless two wrongs doesn´t make one right.
I think what makes me less sympathetic to the plight of JS and AS is their glowing support of the pairing without addressing the rape given the political climate we are in. Acknowledge it. Work through it. Don't come out with the brilliant statement from AS that Sami was not a victim, then have her fall in love with her victim. In a world where a politician can make the statement that if a woman is about to be raped she should just "lie back and enjoy it"statements like AS's are totally irresponsible.

I for one don't buy that the writers did not see the potential in Ejami pre-rape. The characters shared enough scenes. It's a line they never should have crossed, and if they did they shouldn't have shoved the rape under the rug.
The characters did address the rape, before they conceived Sydney. It may not have been addressed in the way that some people would wish it to be, but it was addressed.

I honestly don't understand why Alison saying that Sami isn't a victim upsets people. Plenty of people who have been raped or subjected to violence in real life refuse to declare themselves victims. They are empowered by rising above what's happened to them, and refuse to be defined by it.

Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

The last we saw of Sami dealing with the multiple rapes was her discussion of making an appointment to have herself checked for multiple STD's, and herself and the kids suffering from nightmares.
Offline Profile Goto Top

BeeBee
Member Avatar

I guess I am not too upset at this point because Kristin is not shown to have actually had sex with Eric.We know Eric does not recognize Kristin or know he is a priest .For some reason I just don't think Kristin and Eric are going to have sex even though I don't think Nicole is actually going to find Kristin in bed with Eric.I am going to save some of my outrage for the time we actually know they have (had)sex while Eric was under the influence of the drug(s).
Offline Profile Goto Top

gailwinters
Member Avatar

BeeBee
Jun 23 2013, 07:25 PM
I guess I am not too upset at this point because Kristin is not shown to have actually had sex with Eric.We know Eric does not recognize Kristin or know he is a priest .For some reason I just don't think Kristin and Eric are going to have sex even though I don't think Nicole is actually going to find Kristin in bed with Eric.I am going to save some of my outrage for the time we actually know they have (had)sex while Eric was under the influence of the drug(s).
I agree. I don't think Nicole will see Kristen. That would be too easy! We need to see Eric wondering what and who happened to him. And I certainly don't think they really had sex.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

TreasureCove
EM, SC, AZ, and DH have all had to dodge punches and have been physically assaulted in the street. Others most likely have to, I just don't know about their run-ins with dangerous fans.

Oh and GG , JR, and RJ have all recieved racist hatemail. I hope the little boy who plays Theo hasn't, or if he has, an adult got to it before he could see it.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

I'll just say this, Sami has been the victim of rape and whether or not the writers/AS address it on screen doesn't change the fact that Sami was raped and Days did a shitty job of portraying the fallout from it. We truly don't know how Sami feels about it when she remembers what happened, because it's always being brushed aside like it was some trivial plot point that should hold no real bearings on the character.

Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Jun 23 2013, 07:15 PM
Cathalina
S loves EJ
Jun 23 2013, 06:42 PM
TreasureCove

Since JS plays such a hated character I would Think he probably been subjected to it more than others, regardless two wrongs doesn´t make one right.
I think what makes me less sympathetic to the plight of JS and AS is their glowing support of the pairing without addressing the rape given the political climate we are in. Acknowledge it. Work through it. Don't come out with the brilliant statement from AS that Sami was not a victim, then have her fall in love with her victim. In a world where a politician can make the statement that if a woman is about to be raped she should just "lie back and enjoy it"statements like AS's are totally irresponsible.

I for one don't buy that the writers did not see the potential in Ejami pre-rape. The characters shared enough scenes. It's a line they never should have crossed, and if they did they shouldn't have shoved the rape under the rug.
The characters did address the rape, before they conceived Sydney. It may not have been addressed in the way that some people would wish it to be, but it was addressed.

I honestly don't understand why Alison saying that Sami isn't a victim upsets people. Plenty of people who have been raped or subjected to violence in real life refuse to declare themselves victims. They are empowered by rising above what's happened to them, and refuse to be defined by it.

I agree the rape was addressed and dealt with and obviously not in a way that many people think was appropriate.
Part of the issue may be all the other things that have happened subsequently.

However although Plenty of people who have been raped or subjected to violence in real life refuse to declare themselves victims. They are empowered by rising above what's happened to them, and refuse to be defined by it. Not many of them go on to be romantically involved with the person responsible.

It sends a blurred line.
In his original discussion of the rape in the car pre making love to Sami again EJ said something along the lines of I justified it because I thought if we made love you would enjoy it and you would love me. And that's the part that Sami identified with because she had thought the same thing about Austin.
The problem is that's a really really bad message to be sending out.

Sending out a message that you can be raped and not let it define you and you are not the victim is good.
Sending out the message that if I rape you you will end up loving me not so good.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Panda Panda
Jun 23 2013, 07:33 PM
I'll just say this, Sami has been the victim of rape and whether or not the writers/AS address it on screen doesn't change the fact that Sami was raped and Days did a shitty job of portraying the fallout from it. We truly don't know how Sami feels about it when she remembers what happened, because it's always being brushed aside like it was some trivial plot point that should hold no real bearings on the character.

Which rape are we talking about?
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

But to get back on topic.

Going down that path again potentially with Eric and Kristen I hope they manage to play out all the beats. I hope they take this chance to address the issue properly. And it would be really nice if this happening to people they are both related to has some resonance with EJ and Sami as well.

(although wishing for more Ejami airtime is not really in my best interest).
Offline Profile Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 23 2013, 07:36 PM
Panda Panda
Jun 23 2013, 07:33 PM

Which rape are we talking about?
I'm referring to both EJ and Fake!Rafe. I think they handled the Alan storyline pretty well back in the 90's.
Offline Profile Goto Top

camera shy

Even if Kristen doesn't have sex with Brady she's certainly has sexually assaulted him to a certain degree. Imagine someone you hated drugging you, stripping you naked and touching you.....who wouldn't feel violated? She might not have a chance to complete the act with him, but she's already completed a crime. I meant to say Eric, but too lazy to go back and type everything again.
Edited by camera shy, Jun 23 2013, 08:10 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

BeeBee
Jun 23 2013, 07:25 PM
That's exactly how I feel. Yes, what she's already done amounts to assault and sexual assault, but they haven't actually had sex so I'm going to wait and see what happens tomorrow.
Offline Profile Goto Top

camera shy

Who remembers this? On As the World Turns, the character Iva was raped when she was thirteen by her cousin became pregnant, put the child (Lily) up for adoption and years later her sister Meg fell in love with the cousin. Now that story had one ripple event after another and played out for years.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

marie1969
Jun 23 2013, 11:58 AM

concerned
Jun 21 2013, 07:23 PM
Pookie
Jun 21 2013, 06:39 PM
Panda Panda
Jun 21 2013, 06:36 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
It is weird. I notice she changed into lingerie when she left the room and kept the wig off. Maybe she didn't want "Faye Taylor" and the woman seducing Father Eric connected. But, like you said, she's no longer in a disguise. Eric might not remember her, but she would certainly be recognized in a picture by others. Does she WANT to be recognized?

ETA: Maybe she wants Eric to wake up addled and naked with the wig next to him and vaguely remembering having sex with a woman he can't quite remember?
Maybe she wants to be recognised.
Maybe she's going to send the video to Marlena
Then Eric will have no memory of it and Marlena will have the dilemma of whether to tell him or not.

I think that is the plan. She wants Marlena to know she had a full serving of her son. Marlena will know what's going on but won't be able to prove it. They made it point to let the viewers know that the drug was totally untraceable. The church and the town might even think it was consensual sex which will tarnish Eric's reputation and humiliate him while Marlena will be powerless.

Of course, this is a stupid plan which is going to blow up in her face. She will lose Brady for good and her stupid scheme is also going to drive a wedge between her and the one person who cares about her, Eej. Let's face if Ej has to choose between his family with Samantha and his other family, he will choose his Samantha everything no question asked.

I stand by what I said before. Using Marlena's kids to get to her is being a coward. I would root for Kristen if she went after Marlena directly by facing her woman to woman bitch to bitch. May the best worst one win.
She can't beat Marlena woman to woman. Marlena won't do evil, which makes it harder because Kristen has to pack on the lies, and those always unravel in the end. It'd just be fun watching her try. And going through her kids IS far less entertaining IMO. I don't give a shit about her ruining Eric, I wanted Nicole to be the reason Eric has to leave the priesthood.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 06:14 PM
TreasureCove

Who's JR and RJ? DHer or DHim?
I get so confused by using DH for Drake. DH is Deidre Hall, Drake is DDH (Donald Drake Hogestyn). At least that's how it has always been before.
Edited by The Room Stops, Jun 23 2013, 09:25 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

The Room Stops
Jun 23 2013, 09:20 PM
marie1969
Jun 23 2013, 11:58 AM

concerned
Jun 21 2013, 07:23 PM
Pookie
Jun 21 2013, 06:39 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Maybe she wants to be recognised.
Maybe she's going to send the video to Marlena
Then Eric will have no memory of it and Marlena will have the dilemma of whether to tell him or not.

I think that is the plan. She wants Marlena to know she had a full serving of her son. Marlena will know what's going on but won't be able to prove it. They made it point to let the viewers know that the drug was totally untraceable. The church and the town might even think it was consensual sex which will tarnish Eric's reputation and humiliate him while Marlena will be powerless.

Of course, this is a stupid plan which is going to blow up in her face. She will lose Brady for good and her stupid scheme is also going to drive a wedge between her and the one person who cares about her, Eej. Let's face if Ej has to choose between his family with Samantha and his other family, he will choose his Samantha everything no question asked.

I stand by what I said before. Using Marlena's kids to get to her is being a coward. I would root for Kristen if she went after Marlena directly by facing her woman to woman bitch to bitch. May the best worst one win.
She can't beat Marlena woman to woman. Marlena won't do evil, which makes it harder because Kristen has to pack on the lies, and those always unravel in the end. It'd just be fun watching her try. And going through her kids IS far less entertaining IMO. I don't give a shit about her ruining Eric, I wanted Nicole to be the reason Eric has to leave the priesthood.
That's why Nicole vs Kristen is so much fun. Neither woman have problems getting in the mud and fighting dirty. And both have done bad stuff, so neither of them can claim moral authority. Both can scheme and plot, and it's not out of character for either one.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Jun 23 2013, 06:27 PM
DHim. He had to get a restraining order against a woman who thought that when his character exorcised the devil from Marlena on the show, it went into him
It was a man who attacked Drake, not a woman

Here's Drake's restraining order:
http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_documents/010306_hogestyn_wm.pdf
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

lysie
Jun 23 2013, 04:21 PM
Sweet and Salty
Jun 23 2013, 03:31 PM
LuvingLumi
Jun 23 2013, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I'm not even going to compare rape to adultery. Both are wrong but one is an encounter of two CONSENTING adults and one is an crime of violence and power. They are NOT equal....you can go to jail for rape....but not adultery.....

I don't have issues with rape stories on soaps. Unfortunately rape is a part of real life and soaps SHOULD tackle real life issues as part of stories they depict.....my main issue is when they try to glorify rape, reward a rapist, sweep the rape under the rug, whitewash the characters that committed it and then try to write it as a romance....it's vile and disgusting and I just hope that Days doesn't ONCE AGAIN go down that road here with Kristen and Eric.....because if that is what they are planning, then it's beyond ridiculous and I've hung on after the most disgusting storyline IMHO that Days has ever depicted but if they go there again with Eric and Kristen then I just might turn off the tv and forget about Days altogether.
There is a third person no one seems to be considering. Two people are consenting, but is the third person who is fully trusting their spouse? Also, there are other countries besides America. Some countries condemn people to death for adultory.
Being a victim of adultery and being a victim of rape are pretty vastly different. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd much rather someone cheat on me than rape me. But it's not some sort of competition between who is the bigger victim and who is the bigger jerk. Ultimately, Salem is in America, and in America one of these actions is a crime and the other isn't. Days doesn't seem to handle the consequences of either action very well anymore.
ITA...and like I said before I don't have a problem with rape being depicted on a soap and since it's a soap I expect those that commit rape to get away with it from time to time and not be punished by the law...but ultimately this is a soap and those that do these things usually don't get everything they want, or they get beaten and only through years of a good redemption story can fans begin to accept this character as a changed person...what I hate is how this show trivializes rape, how they make it so that the person who commits it, not only gets to plant his seed, but he's rewarded with a son, he ultimately gets the girl too, then for years the fact that he raped her isn't even mentioned because the soap handled it so wrongly that they don't even want to remind viewers that it happened, because you know, the character has 'changed'.....in other words, not been redeemed but whitewashed. The victim instead of hating on him for years will immediately turn and forgive him, lean on him for support and be very forgiving for something she would not forgive anyone for. There is a precedent with the character of Sami....she shot her last rapist in the balls with no apology...but somehow I'm suppose to believe that she loves EJ? It's the fact that they romanticize rape that is wrong, not the fact that they depict rape in the stories on soaps.....let's face it...Sami who historically holds grudges for years and years, didn't even hold a grudge on EJ for more than a few months.....then she was constantly following him around town to make sure that he knew that she was willing to play along with his vendetta crap. Hopefully Days has learned and won't do the same with Kristen and Eric... .
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic