Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The White Queen; Discussion of the Starz show based on the Phillipa Gregory Novels
Topic Started: Jun 28 2013, 01:22 PM (519 Views)
Honeybees
Member Avatar

It's already airing in the UK, and it will begin airing in August on Starz. I tried to embed, but it's not showing up so here's a link to the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2o8bsqvlUQ

Here's a short scene featuring Richard, who will grow up to be the King in the carpark. I think he is supposed to be around 15 here and Anne around 12. And since I was having trouble with the embedding. I'll also link to the scene.

http://youtu.be/PtwbIzE3ptU
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I edited your post. You don't have to use the flash button to embed, just post the Youtube link and the video will show up.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Thanks! :)

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I might check this out!

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

I plan to check it out, but I am not sure if I will stay with it. It will depend on the show and how good it is after all.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

I've seen the first two episodes, and I will be watching the third but I would recommend at least watching it through the second episode. The production values are absolutely beautiful and so is the cast, but the first episode is the meeting of Elizabeth and Edward, the two pretty main characters and while it's okay to watch them make eyes at each other and jump in bed - the show really picks up in the second episode when the more interesting secondary characters like Warwick (he's the straight up bad guy in this), Margaret Tudor (whose portrayed as being an unbalanced fanatic) and Richard (who is kind of portrayed as moody teenager) and Anne (too guileless for now and will have to grow up soon). If the show has a flaw, it's that Elizabeth and Edward aren't nearly as interesting as the people around them.
Edited by Honeybees, Jul 1 2013, 06:23 AM.

Dakota
Member Avatar

^^thanks for the heads up.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

I've seen a couple more episodes of this, and it's really hit or miss. The actors playing Margaret of Anjou, Richard, Anne and Isabel do admirable things with their short scenes. The actress playing Margaret Tudor chews the scenery really well and brings the crazy although she's better in small doses. But the two leads are gorgeous but not terribly rootable, and in last night's episode Queen Elizabeth had a really nice manicure. In the Middle Ages. That was funnier to me than the zipper she had on her dress in the first episode. I don't expect full historical accuracy - just an attempt at keeping up the illusion.

In short, it should have been about "the bad guys".

Tash
Member Avatar

LOL I laughed at her perfect manicure as well. However, they are missing out on a lot of key points. If you are going to make a series based on history, do it right and Phillipa Gregory writes historical fiction. There are much more to Elizabeth's family. One of her brothers became a bishop almost as soon as she had the crown on her head. Jaquetta and Elizabeth made royal matches for their families so that they could have more allies and have them be advantageous towards them. Anthony went off to Scotland with her son Edward and was head of the privy council there.

Edward had many whores, yes, but he never kept them in the castles. He had them in houses near him. He didn't want to hurt Elizabeth because he loved her very much. She knew of them, but she didn't have to see them which suited her just fine. And yes remarkably she had only a few miscarriages because she always seemed to be pregnant. She did give birth in Westminster Abbey where she went to seek sanctuary against Warwick (who played Cromwell in The Tudors and he is so good at playing loathsome characters)

Now onto another note, recently the remains of Richard the Third were found under a parking lot in Leichester County England. Those remains are of Richard, who is Edward's brother. Also found near the remains were his flag, the armor that they wore then and other artifacts that were traced back to that time period.

Sorry I am such a geek and I love this kind of stuff.

Dakota
Member Avatar

This show turn into a disappointment for me, I did not find the main characters enjoyable, but like them in the beginning. When their is no root able quality in the main characters, it is a big problem. I don't plan to finish the series.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply