Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Young And The Restlessí Is Now Daytime Worst Drama
Topic Started: Jun 29 2013, 08:31 PM (2,796 Views)
soapflake02

not sure if this can be posted..

http://highlighthollywood.com/2013/06/the-young-and-the-restless-is-now-daytime-tvs-worst-drama-sony-and-cbs-worked-very-hard-to-make-it-happen-highlight-hollywood-news/

The Young And The Restlessí Is Now Daytime TVís Worst Drama, Sony And CBS Worked Very Hard To Make It Happen, Highlight Hollywood News

How CBS and Sony have collectively dismantled ďThe Young and the RestlessĒ and made it Daytimeís worst drama is beyond comprehension. The soap that was once considered the ďDynastyĒ of Daytime Television has become a boring, uninteresting melodrama, with more excitement behind the scenes than on screen. The fact that Jill Farren Phelps gleefully allowed Michelle Stafford to depart as Phyllis on the soap is virtually malpractice.
But, Jill made up for it, by adding a long list of her friends, and a lot of newbies, who are passing pretty and barely able to carry a scene. The show that once was unmistakable as being the best, has now become an anemic daytime drama, with hot storylines aborted, such as Phyllisís trial for trying to kill Cricket and Paul, and this thing of finally admitting that Nick lied about the paternity test, and that Jack is indeed Summerís father was heating up, and quickly cooled down, only to have Phyllis throwing herself as Kyle Abbott, Jackís son. Poor Michelle, having to work with such a mediocre young actor, who has no chemistry, no sparks, nothing. Itís not his fault, Iím not putting him down, he canít help being a Friend of Jillís.

Michelle Stafford, one of Hollywoodís BEST actresses has been relegated to the backburner for so many months, that she did get bored, and yes, itís time to go. Sadly, Michelle wonít be the only fan favorite and veteran heading out the door in the coming months. And what has the head writer Josh Griffith done to Nikki Newman? Melody is sublime, beautiful and also a fan favorite. She was thrown a storyline, as if CBS wanted to give her a lifeline, and they wrecked the MS storyline, for a woman, who really would have given an Emmy worthy performance. Then again, sheís an icon that Bill Bell found, not a Friend of Jillís.
Farren Phelps and Griffith have also destroyed one of TVís hottest characters, Michael and Lauren, and thrown in one of Jillís friends, no doubt, who is one hunk of a man, but so boring on screen, that you almost feel like you have to take his pulse to make sure heís not dead. Again, itís not these newbies fault. Who wouldnít take an acting gig in this town? Everyone would, but they are miscast and the writing for ďThe Young and the RestlessĒ is so poorly done, that these youngsters donít have a chance.
Michael Muhney is given one flat storyline after another, a young actor whose power and grit is so phenomenal that he should be carrying several storylines, but instead he is given one boring leading lady after another. Sharon Case so overlooked, yet one of the brightest actors on the canvas. Eric Braeden is absolutely a powerhouse, but not one of Jillís good Friends obviously, since she gives no major story his way, and fans miss it.

Sure, bring on the newbies, but in the old days, they could act. Letting Michelle Stafford walk away was not just silly, but suicide, for a show that is on lifelines at this point. Sony and CBS have a vested interest in this regime, but sadly loyalty to Jill Faren Phelps is like holding on to an anchor the Titanic captain throws your way.
Once a beacon on the horizon, ďY&RĒ is now a fast fading glamour girl of Hollywood, seeing its final scenes play out.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LPS
Member Avatar

Please this is a MAB hack. No one takes it seriously. They thought she was Bill Bell was a vagina.

They want to return to the days of the "Victor and Phyllis Show". Fuck that. And Lauren and Michael were bores for four years. Muhney is not a powerhouse but a grade A kiss ass.
Edited by LPS, Jun 29 2013, 08:50 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Eww this article reeks. MAB and LML pimping out and overusing Michelle Stafford's Phyllis character is one of many things that helped RUIN this show over the past seven years.
Edited by Shick, Jun 29 2013, 09:09 PM.

natdot99
Member Avatar

:rolleyes: :eyeroll: times a million
When MAB destroyed the legacy of Y&R, no one at Sony or CBS Daytime gave a rat behind, period. The Diana Jenkins murder story should have been a wake up call for all parties, yet the executives did nothing about it, until they finally decided to can MAB.
All the article is trying to say that MAB was a better writer for the show that JFP, which is :bs:
Both have destroyed the show, IMO.
IMO, The B&B should have tied Y&R for the worse daytime drama. :cheers:
Edited by natdot99, Jun 29 2013, 09:21 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

I think for the most part, the writing is way better, but the newbies, not so much.
Summer sucks ass, Kyle is a sleeping pill, carmine is beyond boring and right up there in the worst actor category, and I don't think he's even remotely cute.
Courtney, looks too old to be Summer's friend, the parade of girls hitting on noah and tyler is boring, noah isn't the playboy type and tyler, well, he looks totally disinterested in any of the women.
This Melanie who is a spy for Victor, she had zero chemistry with adam and she was boring.
Abby is worse than summer, she has zero life in her, she must be related to Daisy.

kelly777
Member Avatar

I was SO happy when MAB got the ax and I thought they were going to try to restore the show to its former glory but lo and behold they brought in a woman with a fat head that is walking all over the top of Sony and CBS, making decisions based by nepotism rather than sound professional choices that would in fact help the program instead of carrying on where the last hacks left off. Don't get me wrong, this guy is PRO MAB. No doubt about it. Is a matter of fact I think he is her neighbor. That being said he does have a case about the shape of the show. And I agree with him on some levels. The newbies are more prolific than they were under MAB's reign of terror but these hacks have made them the mainstay of the show. They are front and center with their bullshit stories day in and day out. Whether you like them or not, I resent the hell out of it when a veteran that can be written for is relegated to the backburner or scorched the way Sharon, Phyllis, Billy, Nick, Lauren, Lily, Chloe, etc. have been just to prop the latest newbie on the block. It would have been different if the newbies had been hired with a story in mind that mixed with a veteran character but they weren't and the recasts are just as horrific. NuAbby and NuKyle just do not fit my image of Young and the Restless. And my image of romance no way no how stacks up to this group of hacks vision. When did screwing become romance in the afternoon? It started with MAB but this group has done NOTHING that special that would give them any of my support. They have had plenty of time to fix this mess but all they did is feather their nests and employ their friends and family at a severe cost to the show and its long time viewers.

When Phyllis kissed Kyle I realized with great certainty that this show has HUGE problems and they rest at the feet of the Sony and CBS for not recognizing the same shit they saw before and once again doing nothing to stanch the hemorrhaging.

BlissfulLily
Member Avatar

REST IN PEACE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

Posted Image

livelikemusic
Member Avatar

This article has so much bullshit I don't even know where to start.

Maria destroyed the show. It's going to take Jill and Josh more time to repair the horrendous damage done to it. They've done a brilliant job so far, but there's still more to be done. Maria believed Maura West had ZERO talent, which is the biggest bullshit ever. They should have kept Maura in the role of Diane; there were so many more avenues they could still be traveling down with her in the role. Nikki VS. Diane, Phyllis VS. Diane would both still be working greatly. Maria couldn't handle the role of both executive producer and headwriter, and it came back to bite her in the ass. The whole Jana storyline and Shielda redux with her sister was the dumbest thing ever.

Both Jill and Josh have done wonders with Y&R and have given it great control and consistency. The one thing, however, I could do without is the inconsistency where it comes with the newbies. Too many new faces. Some have been BRILLIANT casting decisions (Robert Adamson, Melissa Ordway, Max Enrich) but a lot have just been duds (Hunter King, Hartley Sawyer, Redaric Williams, Kelli Goss, Lamon Archey).

As far as Michelle Stafford's exit, it seems very much her own decision to move on from the role. I don't think it had anything to do with story or anything else. I think after 16 years of being Phyllis, she's looking for new experiences and to be there with her daughter.
Edited by livelikemusic, Jun 30 2013, 01:19 PM.

Not Amused

I disagree with that article. The Young and the Restless is the best it's been in a long time.

So glad that MAB hack is gone! :cheer:

metitle
Member Avatar

Sammie Jo

This Melanie who is a spy for Victor, she had zero chemistry with adam and she was boring
I dont think she is suppose to have chemistry with Adam. After all she was hired to do a job - i.e. screw Adam and find out as much as possible. I would say she is a working girl, not a future stable partner for courtship.

I maybe yelled at for saying this - but I think we have to give the newbies more than three to six months before we start saying they are no good. The way I look at it is - if I start a new diet and exercise program, I dont expect to see results in one week but instead gradually. So just like any program that we start, we have to allow time to prove results. After all, when Phyllis et al came on they were given time to shine. And now look at them, they are valid members of the shows we love so much. So I am allowing them a little latitude to show their capabilities.

I must agree the new Abby isn't an actress I would call home to praise about. She comes off as being vapid.

BlissfulLily
Member Avatar

Vapid=Ditz?

metitle
Member Avatar

BlissfulLily
Jun 30 2013, 01:56 PM
Vapid=Ditz?
Ditz or airhead is one way of putting it, but really she is more lifeless, flavorless, spiritless, unanimated, or tiresome.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

This author is one of MAB's friends and has been out for the show ever since she was fired.

While Y&R isn't great, it's still in a better state than it was under MAB's final years. It's biggest problem right now is how boring the overall show is, but it is repairable. I can't say the same for MAB's damage.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Jun 30 2013, 11:53 PM.

metitle
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Jun 30 2013, 02:43 PM
While Y&R isn't great, it's still in a better state than it was under MAB's final years. IT's biggest problem right now is how boring the overall show is, but it is repairable. I can't say the same for MAB's damage.
so true.
under MAB we had Victor and Phyllis on every. The evidence could been seen in the episode appearance count.
While under LML, we had Gloria and her other chosen few on every day.
As much as Jill Farren Phelps and JG writing has been a bore, it is still just a tad better than the previous two.
After LML wreckage, MAB had another 3 years to completely wreck it.
If JFP and JG is going to repair, it will take more time than 6 months to fix years of damage.
Dont get me wrong, I am not advocating for JFP et al. I would rather see someone like Shonda Rhimes, Mike Kelley or Michelle and Robet King kind of caliber writing for Y&R. But then that would be too much to hope for.

Poker Face
Member Avatar
DraDeeDOESitBETTER best couple on DAYS

Sorry but I just cracked up when I read the title of the thread. Lol. YR is not all that great but somehow they are still number one. So they must be doing something right. IDK.

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

The only part I really agree with is Victor and Nikki being backburned!! Where is ruthless business man Victor Newman? All I see is my fav as a meddling busy body and therapist for his kids. JG & JFP have no clue who these characters are and are only interested in triangles.

Part of Y&R is business intrigue and it is non existent and when they try to write business, it is a mediocre attempt at best. They have 3 lawyers on the show but we have yet to see any of them in a courtroom. We have 3 cops on the show yet there is no major crime to solve, only the rehabilitation of Kevin Fisher. A student in a writing class could do a better job than these so called professionals.

MS leaving will not devastate the show. Big stars of soaps leave all the time and the show moves on without them. Y&R has enough powerhouses to carry it on but they need the writing to support them.

daysmemories
Member Avatar

LPS
Jun 29 2013, 08:39 PM
Please this is a MAB hack. No one takes it seriously. They thought she was Bill Bell was a vagina.

They want to return to the days of the "Victor and Phyllis Show". Fuck that. And Lauren and Michael were bores for four years. Muhney is not a powerhouse but a grade A kiss ass.
IA. I like Phyllis and Victor but am happy with the break from seeing them all the time. I actually am enjoying the show. Yeah it can get slow at times but it's watchable.

SchaNich
Member Avatar

He may or may not be MAB's friend but he's spot on about the state of the show. I tried watching again after stopping in January and the show is horrible. :yuk: Completely boring dry storylines and lousy new characters. As expected it is now the FOJ show.
Edited by SchaNich, Jul 4 2013, 10:21 AM.

HotPepper
Member Avatar

DaraFan
Jun 30 2013, 01:34 PM
I disagree with that article. The Young and the Restless is the best it's been in a long time.

So glad that MAB hack is gone! :cheer:
I have watched from Day 1 and if you didn't watch back then you don't have any idea what a great show YnR was. This new regime and MAB have put the YnR in the toilet and the show is just waiting to have someone flush the toilet. The show is worse now then it has ever been and the way the show is now it belongs in the toilet.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

The one way shoot into the crapper started after Bill Bell died, especially when LML & Co got their claws into the show.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply