Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GH: July Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 30 2013, 04:26 PM (10,120 Views)
JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

LPS
Jul 11 2013, 01:18 AM
While I don't care for Brad blackmailing Michael for sex, it came across real pervy, but I don't get how Brad being gay should matter.

Should all gay men be little saints with no flaws or who do nothing but befriend and listen to Sabrina whine? I hate how a majority of soap writers portray all minorities as these one-dimensional, do-gooders. Its unrealistic. Being a vixen or schemer can be challenging to play and usually those characters are the most dynamic characters. Dark characters are a staple in soaps.

For example, I love that Tika Sumpter is playing a dirty little schemer on The Haves and the Have Nots. Its refreshing. She was a bore as the sweet Layla on OLTL.
I completely understand where you're coming from and basically agree. I don't want all minorities to be one-dimensional do-gooders. (FWIW, I really, REALLY wish they'd spice up the character of Sonny on DAYS. I like his romance with Will, but he embodies the phrase "one-dimensional do-gooder".)

However, a lot of people who watch daytime TV - maybe not anywhere near the majority, but a lot - have voiced discomfort with gay characters. While the discomfort is completely unacceptable and wrong, I guess my concern comes from feeling like it's not helpful to have a character like Brad constantly trying to have sex with people who don't want him (he's already pulled this crap with Felix, minus the blackmail). A lot of straight men make ignorant comments like "I don't mind that so-and-so is gay, I just don't want him to hit on me", and here we have Brad trying to coerce Michael, a straight guy, into having sex with him (wrong under any circumstances but somehow even more icky given the fact that Michael has already been a victim of male-on-male rape). This type of predatory sexual behavior does exist in stereotypes but it isn't something gay men actually do and featuring a character from a stereotyped minority group that is already vastly underrepresented on TV doing it effectively makes the character little more than a walking personification of some people's prejudices and stereotypes. Minority characters should be as realistic and human as anyone else and Brad is the most one-dimensional character I've come across in a long time. Though given his role as Britt's co-conspirator he seems like an equal opportunity scumbag. I expect and hope that's how most people will look at him.
Edited by JessicaLeigh, Jul 11 2013, 12:58 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

WrecklessLove
Member Avatar

i would agree with the whole Sabrina and Patrick bullying Britt thing if she was in fact telling the truth, but shes not lmao. As much as i like Patrick and Sabrina together, even i have to say that this is starting to get on my damn nerves. the way they are writing her to constantly get bulldozed over and just stand there and take it. Britt stays getting the upper hand while constantly being in the wrong. im over it. and Patricks ol lackadaisical ass is on my nerves too. wrap up with baby switch BS and give Sabrina a storyline outside of Patrick. because thats the only way shes going to last.

Nik and Britt are very interesting. i would be for it if i honestly thought he would be able to forgive her for keeping his sisters baby from her lol. i just dont see this lasting long if it begins at all

I'm not entirely ok with them turning Shawn into the big scary black man with a gun who beats the shit outta people for no real reason like some common thug. But i digress.

If they brought all newbies in the way they brought in Ava, there wouldn't be as many complaints. My girl came into the door with a tie to a good 4 different storylines. that's damn impressive.
[/vent]
Edited by WrecklessLove, Jul 11 2013, 01:43 PM.

Deverauxfan
Member Avatar

LPS
Jul 11 2013, 11:29 AM
If you read the previous posts, it was said Brad was a "discredit to gay characters". So if he was straight, it would be acceptable?

A lot of the outrage has been the fact Brad is gay and not that he blackmailed a rape victim. IMO, it is a soap and these type of storylines are common, so I'm not outraged.
No, it would not be acceptable for Brad to blackmail Michael, even if Brad was straight. The writing for the gay characters on GH is horrible. Felix is nothing but a prop for Sabrina. He was shown to be attracted to Milo, a straight man. He has no real love interest. Brad is a cartoon villain, regardless of his orientation. I don't think Brad is a "discredit to gay characters," but a poorly written character. You are right in saying that not every gay character should be portrayed as
wholesome and pure. That would be unrealistic, especially for a soap. ;) I think that they can be written to be flawed, gray characters, or even villains.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Love seeing Georgie today. Killing her off remains a huge mistake.

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

Best scenes of today's epi were Georgie and her sister. The rest of the show was a snooze. :sleep: :sleep:
Edited by bellajewel, Jul 12 2013, 08:31 PM.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Nice to see the real Dante emerge from hibernation in his recent stuff with Sonny.

Loved seeing Georgie! The actress who plays her has such a natural screen presence. I can see why people were so upset when she was killed off. I think if I had to pick, I would choose to have Georgie come back from the dead instead of Emily.

Maura West/Ava is making this Franco stuff bearable.

Ric Lansing mention today! Glad he and Molly are in touch.
Edited by JarlenaLante, Jul 13 2013, 12:18 PM.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

As I get caught up on last week's shows and I have one thing to say...Brad has to be the most annoying character on TV ever. I hate these characters that find out every secret and manipulate everyone.

natdot99
Member Avatar

Classic
Jul 12 2013, 08:31 PM
Best scenes of today's epi were Georgie and her sister. The rest of the show was a snooze. :sleep: :sleep:

I was thinking the same thing, because the only interesting thing was the Britt and Nik scenes. :wub:

WrecklessLove
Member Avatar

i find it interesting that when the OLTL characters first came over, the most complained about was McBain. Now that they are these "new" characters, the least complained about is Silas. Talk about a turn around :lol:

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

WrecklessLove
Jul 14 2013, 09:23 AM
i find it interesting that when the OLTL characters first came over, the most complained about was McBain. Now that they are these "new" characters, the least complained about is Silas. Talk about a turn around :lol:
I actually preferred him as McBain, but I think that as both characters he is the most integrated into the story. Most of his scenes were with Anna or Sam and now they seem to be with Sam again, so it's not just all about him and a bunch of newbies!

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

JessicaLeigh
Jul 12 2013, 01:39 PM
Everything that happened under Jill Farren Phelps' 2001-2011 leadership was a huge mistake.

I literally mean, everything.

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

WTH?! Rafe and Molly using a ouija board. GH is going from very bad to worst.
I hope Sam's father is coming to town soon!
Sonny & Connie....NO.
Silas & Ava....a total snoozefest. He brings her down with his creepiness. Oh, wait...he isn't the only creepy guy in her life, there's Franco. She needs a sexy new guy.
Edited by bellajewel, Jul 15 2013, 09:00 PM.

WrecklessLove
Member Avatar

i really need for Rafe to fall into a volcano or something. such an unnecessary character

EJamandBread
Member Avatar

Count me as one who has never loved ME, and McBain bored me to tears. But I'm really digging Silas Clay, and I'm loving the slow build to a Silas/Sam pairing.

EJ_SamiFF
Member Avatar

Out of the oltl 3 Silas is the only one I can tolerate. The other 2 :frustration:

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

JessicaLeigh
Jul 12 2013, 01:39 PM
I totally agree with you on this one

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

EJamandBread
Jul 15 2013, 10:47 PM
Count me as one who has never loved ME, and McBain bored me to tears. But I'm really digging Silas Clay, and I'm loving the slow build to a Silas/Sam pairing.
McBain was so boring because he was stuck with gnat (natalie), she ruin any man she is with.
Edited by Dakota, Jul 16 2013, 02:46 PM.

Dakota
Member Avatar

EJ_SamiFF
Jul 15 2013, 10:52 PM
Out of the oltl 3 Silas is the only one I can tolerate. The other 2 :frustration:
The other two are annoying, put RH back as Todd on OLTL and get rid of KA, I don't care who she plays, but she is annoying on GH.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Classic
Jul 15 2013, 08:52 PM
Sonny & Connie....NO.
Silas & Ava....a total snoozefest. He brings her down with his creepiness. Oh, wait...he isn't the only creepy guy in her life, there's Franco. She needs a sexy new guy.
I liked her chemistry with Luke but that isn't going anywhere.

Dakota
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Jul 16 2013, 04:28 PM
Classic
Jul 15 2013, 08:52 PM
Sonny & Connie....NO.
I liked her chemistry with Luke but that isn't going anywhere.
I prefer Luke with Tracey, he can handle her snarkiness better than anyone I know.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply