Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
About.com Comings & Goings 7/2
Topic Started: Jul 2 2013, 11:11 AM (2,032 Views)
WillFan
Member Avatar

http://daysofourlives.about.com/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ohgreatone22
Member Avatar

Wait, the name of the girl JJ was with was Bev? That's funny, when Jason brought up that name, I thought it was an older woman. I wonder what effect Brent will have on Wilson and I like that Tad is coming back for the 4th of July celebration.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Great to hear about T being back. Love him. :cheer: :wub:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I thought the name Bev for anyone born in this generation to be funny as well. Bev, Marge, Rory. Where does Tomlin/Whitesell come up with these strange as names?

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Seriously, Jen Lilley's character's name is Theresa? I know its a throwback to Passions, but it is also a throwback to the 1950's because I don't know a single Theresa under 60

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jul 2 2013, 01:29 PM
Seriously, Jen Lilley's character's name is Theresa? I know its a throwback to Passions, but it is also a throwback to the 1950's because I don't know a single Theresa under 60
If she went by Tess I'd able to handle it. Hopefully it's just some moniker she's using for some reason.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jul 2 2013, 01:29 PM
Definitely a 50s name. I was born in 1958 and there were a lot of Teresas in my school.

OliveAnn

DrewHamilton
Jul 2 2013, 01:14 PM
I thought the name Bev for anyone born in this generation to be funny as well. Bev, Marge, Rory. Where does Tomlin/Whitesell come up with these strange as names?
At least it's not children who are given those names. Don't forget that Y&R has toddlers called Matilda (old-fashioned, but not so bad) and Cordelia (poor child).
Edited by OliveAnn, Jul 2 2013, 02:33 PM.

six
Member Avatar

Rory doesn't seem weird for a person that age, to me. Neither do Y&R's names, really, even though they're kind of awful. Half the people I know under ten have old people names. Better than than that last name as first name trend they were obsessed with.
Edited by six, Jul 2 2013, 04:03 PM.

Graceland
Member Avatar

The Wilson Facebook pages are reporting that Camila is leaving. Is it true, and was that already discussed?

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

I'm way excited to see T. again. Wished he was on more

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It's just awesome to see Will and Sonny given more to do than just be the token gay couple with token gay storylines. They're being taken seriously as any other couple on the show, despite being a minority. The storylines are being modified around them being a gay couple. But nothing's limited. Adding a character like Brent to give Will and Sonny conflict without him coming between them in an intimate way is great.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lilley debut. I still hope she's the character related to a core family. There's a spoiler for next week that makes it sound like Kayla asks Jennifer to give Theresa a job. So it sounds like Kayla has some sort of connection to the character to ask Jennifer to give her a job. At least that's the way the spoiler is appears. We'll have to see what actually airs. The Kayla connection definitely gives more solid ground about Theresa really being Jeannie Donovan.

I've always loved Coughlin since he first joined the show in 2009. I really wish T would be given more.

Will&Sonny

Rory isn't a strange name for a teenager, IMO. It's appropriate. Cole is also an appropriate name. Matilda isn't, nor is Marge (but Marge isn't a teenager, so that's a moot point -- however, when I hear names that seem more appropriate for older people, I always think about the fact that they weren't always "older people"...). Bev is a strange name, and if it's short for Beverly, that's not an appropriate name for a teenager, but oh well. I don't see an issue with the name Cordelia, but maybe that's because of my love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I wouldn't shorten it to Delia, though, and I certainly wouldn't shorten it to DeeDee. If anything, I'd shorten it to Cordy or Cord.

Of course, whether a name is "appropriate" or not is an entirely subjective topic, so there's that.

Bev's name has been shown on the closed captions since her debut (I always turn them on when a new character arrives, because you can often find out the character's name that way, long before that name is mentioned on-screen), but I'm pretty sure that her name has not yet been uttered on the show. Chyka's name wasn't uttered during his first few appearances, either, but it has been mentioned at this point.

You have to give the writers some slack here, IMO -- it can't be easy to keep coming up with new names (or names that, at the very least, haven't been used recently and don't already "belong" to important characters from the past) on a show that has produced hundreds of episodes per year for over forty-seven years, especially for minor characters that will likely only be around for a few weeks. At least they aren't naming the characters things like "North West" or "Blue Ivy". :eyeroll:

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

DrewHamilton
Jul 2 2013, 03:47 PM
It's just awesome to see Will and Sonny given more to do than just be the token gay couple with token gay storylines. They're being taken seriously as any other couple on the show, despite being a minority. The storylines are being modified around them being a gay couple. But nothing's limited. Adding a character like Brent to give Will and Sonny conflict without him coming between them in an intimate way is great.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lilley debut. I still hope she's the character related to a core family. There's a spoiler for next week that makes it sound like Kayla asks Jennifer to give Theresa a job. So it sounds like Kayla has some sort of connection to the character to ask Jennifer to give her a job. At least that's the way the spoiler is appears. We'll have to see what actually airs. The Kayla connection definitely gives more solid ground about Theresa really being Jeannie Donovan.

I've always loved Coughlin since he first joined the show in 2009. I really wish T would be given more.
Great post. I agree with your comments.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Jul 2 2013, 07:34 PM
You have to give the writers some slack here, IMO -- it can't be easy to keep coming up with new names (or names that, at the very least, haven't been used recently and don't already "belong" to important characters from the past) on a show that has produced hundreds of episodes per year for over forty-seven years, especially for minor characters that will likely only be around for a few weeks. At least they aren't naming the characters things like "North West" or "Blue Ivy". :eyeroll:
Plus, they have to run names through the legal department to make sure that they aren't conflicting with anyone in real life. There's some sort of rule that there can't be only one or two real-life people with a name.

Will&Sonny

Interesting. Thanks for that tidbit of information, Jason!

As for Theresa, I see nothing "wrong" with that name, per se, but Jen Lilley just doesn't "look" like a Theresa to me. There's nothing tangible to that observation -- it's just a feeling -- but it just doesn't work for me at all.
Edited by Will&Sonny, Jul 2 2013, 07:46 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply