Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Drake Hogestyn removed from credits as of 7/2; 7/8 UPDATE: Drake absent for third time...7/10 is new week of credits
Topic Started: Jul 2 2013, 02:14 PM (9,837 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jul 2 2013, 03:09 PM
they wouldn't just remove the names altogether though, right? Would the ones that were bumped to recurring appear after the contract cast? If he didn't even appear period then it's less likely an error.
The contract cast is listed regardless if they appear during the week or not. The guest stars (recurring and one-time guests) are only listed if they appear in that week. That's how you know ahead who won't be appearing of the guests...like I posted last week that Vargas wasn't in the cast list, so he wouldn't be on again until today, at the earliest, and he popped up today.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IIttu
Member Avatar

If Drake really is gone and this is the way his character is written off (first utterly destroyed, something we all can agree on, and then no exit-storyline and let's not forget destroying J&M along the process), I really couldn't hate this show more at the moment. I don't care if this last year has been awful acting by Drake. Days should pay a lot more respect to an actor that was a big part of DOOL's success back in the day / to a person who has dedicated over two decades of his life to the show. I can't even find powerful words enough to express my frustration with Days..

peaches179

Panda Panda
Jul 2 2013, 03:22 PM
MissLola
Jul 2 2013, 02:53 PM
Wow. That's just cold! Let the man leave with a little dignity.
Yeah, with his head held high. . . and slightly tilted to the left. . . .

LMAO!!!

Jane083

I hope the show sinks into oblivion. Sorry but I hate the way they have treated the veteran actors. Peter Reckell gone. Drake gone. We hardly ever see Hope or Marlena or Maggie. These actors are so much better than any of the younger set. The writers truly do not know what the audience wants or how to go about it.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm going to hold off on getting too upset until tomorrow. If Hogestyn's name is still not listed, then I'll react. If it's true that he's been downgraded to recurring, I'm shocked that we never heard about it. We knew he wasn't taping, but that's not always stranger for certain contract members to not tape for a while. Think back to 2007 when the Big 4 didn't tape for months at a time until right before the Vendetta storyline began.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Jane083
Jul 2 2013, 03:41 PM
I hope the show sinks into oblivion. Sorry but I hate the way they have treated the veteran actors. Peter Reckell gone. Drake gone. We hardly ever see Hope or Marlena or Maggie. These actors are so much better than any of the younger set. The writers truly do not know what the audience wants or how to go about it.
We see too much Maggie, and having the show "sink into oblivion" will do nothing but put all the actors out of work. There's really only a handful that can get another soap job or other acting roles.

ShaneDOOLFan

Arent his and Deidre's contracts up this month? Deidre said she is taping 7 shows next week so I assume she has or is negotiating a new contract. Doesnt look good for Drake.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

IIttu
Jul 2 2013, 03:31 PM
If Drake really is gone and this is the way his character is written off (first utterly destroyed, something we all can agree on, and then no exit-storyline and let's not forget destroying J&M along the process), I really couldn't hate this show more at the moment. I don't care if this last year has been awful acting by Drake. Days should pay a lot more respect to an actor that was a big part of DOOL's success back in the day / to a person who has dedicated over two decades of his life to the show. I can't even find powerful words enough to express my frustration with Days..
1. The character of John was destroyed many years ago with sub-sex, and then having his origins rewritten by every writing regime.
2. Feel free to disagree but Days doesn't need to "respect" any of their actors - it's a cut throat industry and there are a 1000 plus actors would kill to have a role on a soap as it is steady employment. And it is not like Hollywood was bashing down Drake's door during either of his hiatuses. You might not care if Drake acted awfully this last year, but the show does as do plenty of viewers. His previous 2 departures had zero effect on ratings (maybe they even boosted), so it's not like anyone can claim the show will fall apart without him if history is a guide to the future. Good stories make a show, not actors.

jdawg1077

I've never been a huge Hogestyn fan, but the treatment of such a historic character was awful, and I don't blame Hogestyn if he got upset. They wrote him an awful, out-of-character story, then they crapped on his character by making him look like an idiot, and then they dumped him. Personally, as a child I grew up on Roman/Marlena, so if they reverted to that pairing in a believable way I could go along with it (although it would be tough needle to thread after hearing about how John and Marlena are each other's true loves for the past twenty years). But the problem with Roman/Marlena is that it needs to be Wayne Northrup. Josh Taylor is fine as stand-alone Roman (or in the Roman/Kate pairing). But as part of the Roman/Marlena couple? No. Never has worked, never will.

If Wayne Northrup isn't coming back, then let Marlena remain single for a while and kick some butt with Kristen in a storyline not focused on her love life. Maybe at that point, John can return, fully rehabilitated and written in a way which allows him to be recognizable to those viewers who have followed the show for more than six months. Otherwise, keep her single until they get Wayne's agent on the phone.

IIttu
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jul 2 2013, 04:09 PM
IIttu
Jul 2 2013, 03:31 PM
1. The character of John was destroyed many years ago with sub-sex, and then having his origins rewritten by every writing regime.
2. Feel free to disagree but Days doesn't need to "respect" any of their actors - it's a cut throat industry and there are a 1000 plus actors would kill to have a role on a soap as it is steady employment. And it is not like Hollywood was bashing down Drake's door during either of his hiatuses. You might not care if Drake acted awfully this last year, but the show does as do plenty of viewers. His previous 2 departures had zero effect on ratings (maybe they even boosted), so it's not like anyone can claim the show will fall apart without him if history is a guide to the future. Good stories make a show, not actors.
I didn't say that only because I'm a J&M-fan. I would be and I am so angry every time Days treat their vets this way because I have enormous respect for the vets instead of all the newbies. Hell, I'd be shaking my head in disapproval even if Ali Sweeney / Sami got such an exit, despite how much I've grown to hate her character.

You say good stories make a show, not actors, and I disagree. It takes both. A great script wouldn't mean anything if the actors didn't have the talent to play all the nuances and big emotions in it (I'm now talking more generally because we all know Drake isn't the most talented one of the cast). And since Days really cannot write good stories anymore (or maybe I just have higher standards here), the cast matters to me. As long as Days is incapable of writing new characters so that I'd be drawn to them, I need to see familiar faces.

And don't get fooled, even though I'm a die-hard J&M-fan, I really wouldn't mind that much if J&M went off-screen - as long as I knew they're happy and together. Because I, too, believe Days should try to build new stable core couples if they realistically speaking wanted to think of staying on air after the 50th anniversary. But I do mind a LOT when they destroy their golden supercouples. J&M isn't the first case. If they don't want to write for J&M, fine, I can live with that. But to go through all the trouble to destroy such beautiful and long-time lovestories of J&M and other supercouples for no good reason makes me so mad! That's disrespectful to long-time viewers. That's not good soap-writing. I feel this way even though I've only been watching since 2007 and I've watched good old Days only on Youtube..

And what comes to the ratings, I honestly believe they stay pretty much the same these days no matter how good or bad the show is because there's always that core audience that sticks with Days and tunes in out of the habit. I don't think any individual cast member really is irreplaceable. But I still want the show to respect long-time characters and actors with a proper send-off if they are to go.

bygnedys

I think they do these things to get fans stirred up and talking about the show.

It is probably like last time, where they brought back John not dead but being brainwashed by the Dimera Senior and his crazy doc.

lysie
Member Avatar

Drake has made it so hard to defend him. He was just terrible in this last story. Sure, his part made no sense, but it was like he was asleep. I don't really mind them getting rid of actors. I mind them getting rid of characters and not even trying to give them a proper exit.

And the thing is, yes...Drake was phoning it in. But James phones it in regularly. Alison phones it in regularly. Melissa phones it in regularly. And they're all on ALL THE TIME. They didn't get rid of him because he was phoning it in. They got rid of him because they have no idea what to do with characters once they've married them off.

Kaycee

If This wasnt Drakes Best .. The writers are to Blame.. This was an AWFUL story for him, and went against everything the Character ever was.. If He is gone, Im going to pretend Both of them NEVER returned, and Im done since The writers have destroyed **EVERY** Couple that made this show.. And they truly were my reason for viewing, I had some small hope of a reunion story if he is gone so is that Hope, and so am I.. I can barely watch as it is.. So I will check updates but this show stinks.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

What Drake needs to do is get a gig on the Biggest Loser or become a judge on America's Got Talent, and they'll pull out the red carpet for him. :huh:

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Is it bad that I hope he stays gone from the credits? I still miss Peter R and Matt A, but not Drake.

Kaycee

lysie
Jul 2 2013, 06:03 PM
Drake has made it so hard to defend him. He was just terrible in this last story. Sure, his part made no sense, but it was like he was asleep. I don't really mind them getting rid of actors. I mind them getting rid of characters and not even trying to give them a proper exit.

And the thing is, yes...Drake was phoning it in. But James phones it in regularly. Alison phones it in regularly. Melissa phones it in regularly. And they're all on ALL THE TIME. They didn't get rid of him because he was phoning it in. They got rid of him because they have no idea what to do with characters once they've married them off.
Yeah.. But after the Kristen Fiasco, It gives them a great Story opportunity.. John having to examine his real feelings for Kristen, and then really trying to win back Doc's Trust and Love.. Even better if Marlena is in some kind of Danger from Kristen or Stephano.. As long as He saves her and wins her Back.. Sure its been done over and over.. But it always works too.. Better that than Yucky Dannifer... And with Will and Chad leaving , it leaves lots of room for Story.. I much prefer Jarlena To Magik.

jules

If this is true (Drake off contract) could Days at least show a little class and make some kind of announcement to acknowledge it. They act like he never made a bit of difference to the show and we are not supposed to even notice what's happened.

niki

Between this and Corday's interview talking about how they keep 'iconic' characters that they know fans want to see...I'm done. Not because I'm that big of a John fan, although I am of Jarlena. True, Drake's acting wasn't great this last stretch but dear god, even at his worst it is better than JT and they keep him around. Likewise, the likes of the actor(s) playing Cameron and some of the hair models they try and pass off as actors. I'm still, however, of the opinion that much of Drake's bad 'acting' of late was tied up with the dilemma of how do you play a character you know is so completely out of character? And it is him being so out of character that has coloured opinion of his acting. But I digress...

The manner in which the writers (which Corday heaps with such praise) have destroyed an iconic couple is just plain and simple an insult to me. They want to get rid of the character of John, fine - there were ways of doing it without destroying the character and the couple that many times was once a bedrock of this show. Hell, even Higley was able to that and that's saying something.

There are plenty of times when I've loved characters and couples on TV shows only for them to be screwed with for the sake of ratings and viewer interest. That isn't what has happened here. But in those cases, I went with the flow.

In this case, there seems absolutely no point to their destruction. No plot, not done for angst in keeping the couple apart, no set up for a long term story - nothing. The writers have gone out of their way to make people want John to leave and so they have achieved their goal. The only thing they have achieved from this long-time viewer though is anger. And I refuse to watch again.

Jason47
Member Avatar

bygnedys
Jul 2 2013, 05:33 PM
I think they do these things to get fans stirred up and talking about the show.

It is probably like last time, where they brought back John not dead but being brainwashed by the Dimera Senior and his crazy doc.
Well that was truthful at least though, they renegotiated Drake's contract at the last second then, that's why they had to write John out of scripts for several months, since they didn't think he'd be staying. Same thing happened with Matt Ashford in 1991...his negotiations to stay came down to the last second, so Jack had to be written out for several months before they could get him back into storyline (when they had him crash the Christmas 1991 Horton ornament event).

This time around, Drake last worked March 18, so he's going to be absent on-air from late July-early November at the least...a much longer break than in the past.
Edited by Jason47, Jul 2 2013, 07:22 PM.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Not much to add to the posts above, but am deeply disappointed in TPTB if Drake has been fired with no press release. Although they probably don't want the bad publicity right on the heels of Days Emmy win. I remember around the time actors were being let go right and left during the SSK story leading up to Melaswen there was a big uproar when a rumor floated around over some weekend that Drake was let go.

Days really needs to get their act together in writing decent exit stories for legendary vets like Bo Brady and John Black. Having both characters essentially go the route of Don Craig getting the mail is appalling. Just appalling.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply