Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Drake Hogestyn removed from credits as of 7/2; 7/8 UPDATE: Drake absent for third time...7/10 is new week of credits
Topic Started: Jul 2 2013, 02:14 PM (9,612 Views)
Graceland
Member Avatar

Well, Kristen is FREE of John, remember? lmao

What did Drake say about the storyline? All I remember is him saying that he remembered that Kristen was good in the bedroom, and that's probably why Brady was shacking up with her.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

greeneyedgirl
Member Avatar

ok so did John leave town on the show?? I don't really remember him saying he was leaving town and if not will he be like a Bo, somewhere around but just never seen?

lysie
Member Avatar

greeneyedgirl
Jul 2 2013, 08:15 PM
ok so did John leave town on the show?? I don't really remember him saying he was leaving town and if not will he be like a Bo, somewhere around but just never seen?
He should be seen at least one more time, but I think Marlena said he was out of town the other day.

daysjmfan

I am so disgusted with the way this show treats Drake, and the Jarlena fans. If Drake is really fired then I'm so done with this show. I watch for Jarlena. I have been watching Days since the early 90's. It is an absolute insult to the Jarlena fans the way the show has destroyed Jarlena, and the character of John. I don't understand why they have done this to us loyal Jarlena fans. :frownie:

KMan101
Member Avatar

lysie
Jul 2 2013, 08:22 PM
greeneyedgirl
He should be seen at least one more time, but I think Marlena said he was out of town the other day.
Yeah, she did. I remember noticing that right away.

I feel bad for Drake, not fun to be unemployed. He did phone it in. It is shameful if they just let him ... go away. How sad?

I swear Tomlin hates any man over 40 on this show: Tony, Steve, Jack, Bo, John .... they have no idea what to do with them so they probably figure they can save some money. (EDIT: Same for Bryan Dattilo but at least they still seem to be using Lucas, however, he's probably done when Chandler exits)

At least I could buy Steve and Kayla couldnt 'go back' but Bo just being gone and not really mentioned much anymore, Jack crushed by an elevator and John just ... going away?

Sad when Galen Gering and Shawn Christian are the leading men of Days of Our Lives. At least James Scott can act I guess.

I'm with Kirk on missing Peter Reckell and Matthew Ashford. Sigh.
Edited by KMan101, Jul 2 2013, 08:44 PM.

concerned
Member Avatar

IIttu
Jul 2 2013, 05:20 PM
Southofsoap
Jul 2 2013, 04:09 PM
IIttu
Jul 2 2013, 03:31 PM
If Drake really is gone and this is the way his character is written off (first utterly destroyed, something we all can agree on, and then no exit-storyline and let's not forget destroying J&M along the process), I really couldn't hate this show more at the moment. I don't care if this last year has been awful acting by Drake. Days should pay a lot more respect to an actor that was a big part of DOOL's success back in the day / to a person who has dedicated over two decades of his life to the show. I can't even find powerful words enough to express my frustration with Days..
1. The character of John was destroyed many years ago with sub-sex, and then having his origins rewritten by every writing regime.
2. Feel free to disagree but Days doesn't need to "respect" any of their actors - it's a cut throat industry and there are a 1000 plus actors would kill to have a role on a soap as it is steady employment. And it is not like Hollywood was bashing down Drake's door during either of his hiatuses. You might not care if Drake acted awfully this last year, but the show does as do plenty of viewers. His previous 2 departures had zero effect on ratings (maybe they even boosted), so it's not like anyone can claim the show will fall apart without him if history is a guide to the future. Good stories make a show, not actors.
I didn't say that only because I'm a J&M-fan. I would be and I am so angry every time Days treat their vets this way because I have enormous respect for the vets instead of all the newbies. Hell, I'd be shaking my head in disapproval even if Ali Sweeney / Sami got such an exit, despite how much I've grown to hate her character.

You say good stories make a show, not actors, and I disagree. It takes both. A great script wouldn't mean anything if the actors didn't have the talent to play all the nuances and big emotions in it (I'm now talking more generally because we all know Drake isn't the most talented one of the cast). And since Days really cannot write good stories anymore (or maybe I just have higher standards here), the cast matters to me. As long as Days is incapable of writing new characters so that I'd be drawn to them, I need to see familiar faces.

And don't get fooled, even though I'm a die-hard J&M-fan, I really wouldn't mind that much if J&M went off-screen - as long as I knew they're happy and together. Because I, too, believe Days should try to build new stable core couples if they realistically speaking wanted to think of staying on air after the 50th anniversary. But I do mind a LOT when they destroy their golden supercouples. J&M isn't the first case. If they don't want to write for J&M, fine, I can live with that. But to go through all the trouble to destroy such beautiful and long-time lovestories of J&M and other supercouples for no good reason makes me so mad! That's disrespectful to long-time viewers. That's not good soap-writing. I feel this way even though I've only been watching since 2007 and I've watched good old Days only on Youtube..

And what comes to the ratings, I honestly believe they stay pretty much the same these days no matter how good or bad the show is because there's always that core audience that sticks with Days and tunes in out of the habit. I don't think any individual cast member really is irreplaceable. But I still want the show to respect long-time characters and actors with a proper send-off if they are to go.
Going slightly off topic here -

But I do mind a LOT when they destroy their golden supercouples. J&M isn't the first case. If they don't want to write for J&M, fine, I can live with that. But to go through all the trouble to destroy such beautiful and long-time lovestories of J&M and other supercouples for no good reason makes me so mad!

:hail: :hail: :hail:

Seriously what was the reason for Kayla and Steve getting divorced. They have done absolutely nothing with her that couldn't have been done with Steve being offscreen. Why not let us keep the romance alive.

And losing characters like Bo, Jack and John without writing a truly epic ending for them is just a lost opportunity. If you want to get rid of them its a perfect opportunity to write an emotional tear jerking rollercoaster for the audience.

When Belle screamed "Daddy" my heart just broke.

Edited by concerned, Jul 2 2013, 09:18 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jul 2 2013, 08:41 PM
lysie
Jul 2 2013, 08:22 PM
greeneyedgirl
Yeah, she did. I remember noticing that right away.

I feel bad for Drake, not fun to be unemployed. He did phone it in. It is shameful if they just let him ... go away. How sad?

I swear Tomlin hates any man over 40 on this show: Tony, Steve, Jack, Bo, John .... they have no idea what to do with them so they probably figure they can save some money. (EDIT: Same for Bryan Dattilo but at least they still seem to be using Lucas, however, he's probably done when Chandler exits)

At least I could buy Steve and Kayla couldnt 'go back' but Bo just being gone and not really mentioned much anymore, Jack crushed by an elevator and John just ... going away?

Sad when Galen Gering and Shawn Christian are the leading men of Days of Our Lives. At least James Scott can act I guess.

I'm with Kirk on missing Peter Reckell and Matthew Ashford. Sigh.
The thing is, Galen and Shawn are over 30, too. And they were brought in as new characters.

dooldooldool

There's no way that DOOL could hype/promote a Great Return if popular cast never left. Drake will be back, as will PR. It's only a matter of time. Plus, there will have to be something "big" for Anniversary #50.

I suspect this began as a budget issue, though being publicly vocal likely made things easier for the producers to give the character a "rest". Drake has said before that he would work for scale, yet he didn't get a single acting gig from anyone during his time off the show when the DH's were let go. He didn't join another soap, he didn't get a minor role in basic cable, he didn't film an indie project, he didn't self-finance his own star vehicle, he didn't even bother joining the Malibu Community Theater troop. I am sure the producers took note of that.

Plus, the show really didn't know what to do with him when he returned. He had zilch chemistry with each and every acting co-hort: from Marlena to Carrie to Hope to Stefano to Brady to Abe to Kristen. Most of his scenes were awkward at best, sad at worst. Not all of this was his fault. Most of the problem came from the abysmal, nonsensical storylines.

Frankly, they just don't see a whole lot of storyline potential for a sixty-something former leading man with limited acting chops. I agree.

That said, I still think he will turn up as having been a long-time, secret guest of the DiMera Family in the Secret Room.

Jason47
Member Avatar

DRAKE HOGESTYN CREDITS UPDATE: MISSING FROM SOAPNET AIRING TOO

SoapNet, which sometimes will have slightly different credits than the NBC credits (since NBC's are typed up by someone else to fit in the black box on the bottom of the screen), also did not list Drake in the cast list today.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

concerned
Jul 2 2013, 09:17 PM
IIttu
Southofsoap
IIttu
Jul 2 2013, 03:31 PM
If Drake really is gone and this is the way his character is written off (first utterly destroyed, something we all can agree on, and then no exit-storyline and let's not forget destroying J&M along the process), I really couldn't hate this show more at the moment. I don't care if this last year has been awful acting by Drake. Days should pay a lot more respect to an actor that was a big part of DOOL's success back in the day / to a person who has dedicated over two decades of his life to the show. I can't even find powerful words enough to express my frustration with Days..
1. The character of John was destroyed many years ago with sub-sex, and then having his origins rewritten by every writing regime.
2. Feel free to disagree but Days doesn't need to "respect" any of their actors - it's a cut throat industry and there are a 1000 plus actors would kill to have a role on a soap as it is steady employment. And it is not like Hollywood was bashing down Drake's door during either of his hiatuses. You might not care if Drake acted awfully this last year, but the show does as do plenty of viewers. His previous 2 departures had zero effect on ratings (maybe they even boosted), so it's not like anyone can claim the show will fall apart without him if history is a guide to the future. Good stories make a show, not actors.
I didn't say that only because I'm a J&M-fan. I would be and I am so angry every time Days treat their vets this way because I have enormous respect for the vets instead of all the newbies. Hell, I'd be shaking my head in disapproval even if Ali Sweeney / Sami got such an exit, despite how much I've grown to hate her character.

You say good stories make a show, not actors, and I disagree. It takes both. A great script wouldn't mean anything if the actors didn't have the talent to play all the nuances and big emotions in it (I'm now talking more generally because we all know Drake isn't the most talented one of the cast). And since Days really cannot write good stories anymore (or maybe I just have higher standards here), the cast matters to me. As long as Days is incapable of writing new characters so that I'd be drawn to them, I need to see familiar faces.

And don't get fooled, even though I'm a die-hard J&M-fan, I really wouldn't mind that much if J&M went off-screen - as long as I knew they're happy and together. Because I, too, believe Days should try to build new stable core couples if they realistically speaking wanted to think of staying on air after the 50th anniversary. But I do mind a LOT when they destroy their golden supercouples. J&M isn't the first case. If they don't want to write for J&M, fine, I can live with that. But to go through all the trouble to destroy such beautiful and long-time lovestories of J&M and other supercouples for no good reason makes me so mad! That's disrespectful to long-time viewers. That's not good soap-writing. I feel this way even though I've only been watching since 2007 and I've watched good old Days only on Youtube..

And what comes to the ratings, I honestly believe they stay pretty much the same these days no matter how good or bad the show is because there's always that core audience that sticks with Days and tunes in out of the habit. I don't think any individual cast member really is irreplaceable. But I still want the show to respect long-time characters and actors with a proper send-off if they are to go.

But I do mind a LOT when they destroy their golden supercouples. J&M isn't the first case. If they don't want to write for J&M, fine, I can live with that. But to go through all the trouble to destroy such beautiful and long-time lovestories of J&M and other supercouples for no good reason makes me so mad!

Seriously what was the reason for Kayla and Steve getting divorced. They have done absolutely nothing with her that couldn't have been done with Steve being offscreen. Why not let us keep the romance alive.

And losing characters like Bo, Jack and John without writing a truly epic ending for them is just a lost opportunity. If you want to get rid of them its a perfect opportunity to write an emotional tear jerking rollercoaster for the audience.

Well, in the case of Steve and Kayla, I understood it. Stephen was on another show. They wanted Mary Beth. I was happy about that, and felt she deserved the opportunity. I was willing to go with it.

It frustrates me, though, because we never see Kayla's life at all. Nothing with her and Joe, almost nothing with her family..Caroline, roman, nephews, nieces. She's got them all, but it's never brought into play. I'd love to see her try a date, even if its a disaster. I mean, a bad blind date can be funny.

I've been patient. Waited endlessly. But they've only shown Kayla as a doctor and a supportive friend. I'd like more for her.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I have been looking for a reason to stop watching this show, and now I've found it. (Though there really are a million different reasons not to watch lol)

If Drake is indeed gone from the show, I find it really odd that nothing has leaked out or a statement hasn't been made. Things like that usually get out way before now!

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Boo,really,Drake has been nothing but faithful for over 20 years and u give him a text message as an exit,really,morons.

concerned
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Jul 2 2013, 10:29 PM
concerned
Jul 2 2013, 09:17 PM
IIttu
Southofsoap

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Well, in the case of Steve and Kayla, I understood it. Stephen was on another show. They wanted Mary Beth. I was happy about that, and felt she deserved the opportunity. I was willing to go with it.

It frustrates me, though, because we never see Kayla's life at all. Nothing with her and Joe, almost nothing with her family..Caroline, roman, nephews, nieces. She's got them all, but it's never brought into play. I'd love to see her try a date, even if its a disaster. I mean, a bad blind date can be funny.

I've been patient. Waited endlessly. But they've only shown Kayla as a doctor and a supportive friend. I'd like more for her.
I understood it when there was a remote chance that they were possibly going to do something with Kayla's storyline but since then nothing, not a thing. They could have done all that they have done and kept Steve as an off screen husband.

Manny
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Jul 2 2013, 02:32 PM
Never liked him, won't ever miss him and I hope he never comes back.

Never liked him either. Always shocked by how many fans he had, because Drake is such a bad actor in my opinion. Whenever someone makes fun of acting on soaps, I think of Drake Hogestyn. So I won't miss him.

But...

lysie
Jul 2 2013, 02:36 PM
I really wish they'd just learn to write an exit story.

I do agree with this. As much as I don't like him, John is a huge part of Days of Our Lives and therefore should have a big send off, if he was fired. Not using these big exits (Reckell, Hogestyn) for some big events/stories is just stupid. I don't get it... Bad choices by the writers on those exits.

chinkybig

I haven't been a fan of what the writers have done to this character AND I haven't been happy with Drake's output on screen for a while, but as a fan of John and Marlena as a couple, I think it totally sucks that the writers can't be decent enough to "exit" them properly as a couple or give them some sort of a closure or hope that they will still be the endgame. Right now, it's just a sickening limbo. I think with all that has happened, I do not mind them being apart for a while, but it's totally disgusting that they "ended" things outside of the Brady pub with Marlena's last words "Walk away" and John did not even get to say his "last" piece. Even it would kind of suck to see them cry and simper with their good byes, at least they would have had one instead of this limbo crap.

Hell, Marlena and Roman had a closure way back in 1994. That was fucking sad, but to be fair, was a good closure.

Manny
Member Avatar

Well if anything, it's a good way to start a "Bo and John are both missing/kidnapped by DiMera's" storyline in future, that could start a whole knew feud between DiMeras and Bradys, if Reckell and Hogestyn decide to come back.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

I'll admit to having some issues with Carlivati's GH, but at least Ron wrote exit stories for Jason and Robin when the actors left, and he wrote a beautiful last scene for John Ingle's Edward Q and devoted almost a whole episode at Thanksgiving as a tribute to him. Not only are they being more than a bit disrespectful to the legendary characters of John and Bo, but they are missing SO MANY golden opportunities for future stories. I still get choked up watching John "die" after being hit by a car and his funeral eulogies. And can you imagine if John and Bo were to be somehow "killed" by some DiMera plot/or other enemy? That could open up years of story line potential and you could bring Shawn-D, Belle, Claire, and Chelsea back on canvas to deal with the aftermath. I would also like to see the impact of losing his father on Brady, with him either trying to be good as a tribute to his father or going very dark. It's frustrating how we at DR can come up with more compelling drama than what is currently on TV.

Oh, and could we get Don Craig back as Chief of Staff at University Hospital? I'd rather watch Marlena move on with him than Winston. Speaking of missing the boat, it would be interesting to see Hope and Marlena cope with the loss of their soulmates. They could either move on to other loves or stay single like Alice did after Tom died.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I wouldn't mind them bringing Jed Allan back. Josh Taylor is alrightbut I will never see him as Roman, and he lacks any chemistry with Deidre Hall to make any pairing between them work.

And yeah, Galen and Shawn are over 30, which proves to me Tomlin prefers them. He probably has the hots for them. And they're 'new' so he can do whatever he wants with them and call it developing their characters. Five years later I'm still not a fan of either character, though Rafe, I have to admit, HAS grown on me. I still can't stand to look at Daniel.
Edited by KMan101, Jul 3 2013, 07:58 AM.

jules

JarlenaLante
Jul 3 2013, 07:47 AM
I'll admit to having some issues with Carlivati's GH, but at least Ron wrote exit stories for Jason and Robin when the actors left, and he wrote a beautiful last
Oh, and could we get Don Craig back as Chief of Staff at University Hospital? I'd rather watch Marlena move on with him than Winston. Speaking of missing the boat, it would be interesting to see Hope and Marlena cope with the loss of their soulmates. They could either move on to other loves or stay single like Alice did after Tom died.
Has Marlena or anyone else even noticed John is gone? I haven't watched lately so I don't have a clue.

peaches179

jules
Jul 3 2013, 08:29 AM
JarlenaLante
Jul 3 2013, 07:47 AM
I'll admit to having some issues with Carlivati's GH, but at least Ron wrote exit stories for Jason and Robin when the actors left, and he wrote a beautiful last
Has Marlena or anyone else even noticed John is gone? I haven't watched lately so I don't have a clue.

She said he text her to let her know he was going out of town for a couple of days.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply