Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Michael Fairman interview with Ken Corday
Topic Started: Jul 2 2013, 04:32 PM (17,924 Views)
Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Wal-Mart has a terrible return policy. You should have went to K-Mart, six. :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

Hell, if I'm stuck with this thing, there's no use in it going to waste. I'm going to learn from that documentary I saw though and make sure that blue raspberry kool aid is made correctly so I don't have to deal with the adverse side effects.

Okay, I'd better stop before concerned calls the FBI.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 6 2013, 06:03 PM
Hell, if I'm stuck with this thing, there's no use in it going to waste. I'm going to learn from that documentary I saw though and make sure that blue raspberry kool aid is made correctly so I don't have to deal with the adverse side effects.

This is the weirdest conversation you've ever been a part of.

six
Member Avatar

I know! And this is at least half on you, since your reply made me want to get that Seinfeld quote in, which lead us to this moment.

blueskies
Member Avatar

six
Jul 6 2013, 12:13 PM
lysie
Jul 6 2013, 12:05 PM
six
Jul 6 2013, 11:11 AM
thepadange
Jul 5 2013, 11:57 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepthe controversy with Kristen having sex, or "raping", a priest! And this is the kind of world we are in now, where I think soaps have to find a way to excite new and younger viewers to the fold
The way I read it, he was talking about teens and young adults being drawn to watching the story, because it was shocking, not because it was hot.
I don't hate the story and I'm not offended by it, but I don't really see why this would excite new and younger viewers. At all.
This story seems like something from Passions which got great ratings with the 12 - 18 year old audience, partially because of the ridiculous stories. I don't know of any teens who watch soaps, so maybe the kids don't go for things like that these days, but I can see where MF may be coming from.
See, but Passions had a talking doll and a witch in addition to lots of other crazy things. Rape storylines weren't the draw there for the "kids".

six
Member Avatar

Yes, I watched Passions, too. And the point is not that kids would be drawn in by rape, it's that they might be drawn in by the craziness. IDK how the story is going to play out, but people have compared it to JER's work and with good reason, at this point. You could summarize the Lady in the Cage as being about kidnapping and attempted murder and say that wouldn't be a draw for the younger people either, but it did hook people, because the story wasn't truly about the crimes. And to be clear, I'm not arguing that young people will be drawn in by this story, but I don't think the idea that they will is a farfetched belief, if it continues to have things in common with JER's work.
Edited by six, Jul 6 2013, 08:42 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 6 2013, 08:39 PM
Yes, I watched Passions, too. And the point is not that kids would be drawn in by rape, it's that they might be drawn in by the craziness. IDK how the story is going to play out, but people have compared it to JER's work and with good reason, at this point. You could summarize the Lady in the Cage as being about kidnapping and attempted murder and say that wouldn't be a draw for the younger people either, but it did hook people, because the story wasn't truly about the crimes. And to be clear, I'm not arguing that young people will be drawn in by this story, but I don't think the idea that they will is a farfetched belief, if it continues to have things in common with JER's work.
I think we sort of agree on some aspect that I can't quite pinpoint (lol). I think we'd agree completely if this story had an underlying story that was a little more clear to me. Right now, that doesn't appear to be the case, but who knows how it might be later on.

concerned
Member Avatar

six
Jul 6 2013, 06:03 PM

Rafe is in a coma. Bo is AWOL. John is too busy licking his wounds.
I've lost all my contacts at the FBI
I could try and see if stefano is still working with the CIA.

I wonder what that nice agent spencer is up to.

blueskies
Member Avatar

six
i get what you're saying now. I can't say I think of this as a crazy storyline (though after Vincent nothing will ever shock me on a soap again) but I do think JER-type writing can bring in younger viewers. I just wish they'd utilize his stronger storylines though if they want to do that, and not his B-storylines. They're getting the JER tempo & pacing & correct cues though which is more than half the battle in the creation of a good final product.

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

In my opinion, if Tomlin and/or Whitesell are trying to emulate JER, they need to recall the fact that at the root of it all, John & Marlena still loved one another & neither just plain left town. Bo & Hope, same thing. Jack & Jen (although portrayed by different actors)...all of them at their cores were still head-over-heels for the other. The angst was in the way, sure - with Kristen, Billie, Laura/Stefano/Peter, etc, but you just knew that as long as they were all at least in Salem & communicating, they would find their way back together. Now...all the men are gone and sadly, it seems the writers don't have any intention of bringing them back. I guess Marlena will be the resident babysitter for Sami, etc since Caroline is probably not available, Hope will be the super-detective/mom and Jen will be in an endless battle of "I love you/I'm sorry/Blah blah blah" with Dr. Manwhore. All of that, coupled with Lexie learning that not only was Celeste her mom, but Stefano her father. Kate, Lucas, Austin & Sami & the whole Franco Kelly set-up. The Affair, the Possession, Stefano's amnesia & paralysis and Marlena helping him recover, then on to Aremid, the Letter, Paris, Lady in a Cage, The Pillow Baby, the Secret Room...Sami on death row, Vivian, Ivan, nurse Lynn, Laura getting zapped in the forehead by Stefano to wipe-out her short-term memory, Will being born & his paternity, Sami's amnesia that was not so real after all...there was a huge tapestry of characters and an ginormous umbrella of storylines that shot out even more twists & turns that interacted, and caused ripple effect after ripple effect... Love his style or hate it, JER knew how to write for more than a dozen characters, make it work, remember to include weather, night & day, people driving, etc...now...sorry, but comparing the Tomlin/Whitesell style to JER is laughable at best. Sorry, but I'd rather be in that frickin cage myself, at least there was some good French pastry & Bastille Day to look forward to.

And I know all of this cause I'm smack dab in the middle of Tammy's 1997 playlist. Again. Her site is sure better than the tripe on right now.
Edited by No1_ILoveLucyFan, Jul 6 2013, 10:25 PM.

thepadange

lysie
Jul 6 2013, 09:02 PM
six
I think we sort of agree on some aspect that I can't quite pinpoint (lol). I think we'd agree completely if this story had an underlying story that was a little more clear to me. Right now, that doesn't appear to be the case, but who knows how it might be later on.
Not so sure if I can clearly express my thoughts but I think if KC and TPTB want to draw in new or/and younger audience let's say by shocking them they have to concentrate on visual representation of the stuff much more than they do now (Images have to be kind of shockingly eye-catching). The rape s/l we are talking about here wasn't shocking visually at all. Yeah, it was crazy and shocking but only if you consider the moral point of view, but this kind of shock "hits" (if?) mature viewers with life experience, not younger viewers who never watched the show before. I personally was uncomfortable and a little bit shocked but only because I couldn't understand why in the hell are they doing this, meaning where is the logic in Kristen's behaviour. The only logic I could see so far - TPTB are planning some dramatic reveal scenes for the sweeps eps. I can only hope they will revisit the harem stuff somewhere in the future to explain this but maybe it's too much to hope.

BTW maybe it's just me but while watching this (Kristen/blowgun, Kristen/giant syringe) and some other scenes (Sami shooting Bernardi/razor "in the role of axe") I couldn't help laughing and felt like I was watching some kind of mild dark comedy. Then it was "drama" again. So I think there are some visual experiments on Days. Is it enough to say it's going JER'ish (I would say he was extremely focused on visuality)? IDK. Is it good for a soap? IDK. (And I like Peter Greenaway very much.)
Edited by thepadange, Jul 7 2013, 05:25 AM.

JoeBucs32

So I like the idea that Hope might finally be getting a storyline -- FINALLY! And I like that Corday is saying that more veterans need to be center-stage -- but I'll believe that when I see it.

Was anything at all revealed about whether Chad is being recast or not?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply