Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Tuesday, July 9th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jul 9 2013, 08:39 AM (11,954 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Sweet and Salty
Jul 10 2013, 09:29 AM
Ophelia
Jul 9 2013, 11:38 PM
Okay, I didn't love this as much as others did. I was too distracted by Sami stamping her way through every storyline on screen -- still dressed in bright pink, as though we wouldn't notice her without it. I did enjoy her snarking on Daniel, but there was a little bit of "voice of the audience" in the dialogue that doesn't quite ring true when Sami says it. Much better when JJ does it. It was nice to hear, though.

One note -- it really bothers me that Kristen calls both Stefano and Eric 'Father'. Stops me for a minute in the story.

I'll be ticked if EJ takes down Stefano. If JM is retiring, I'd rather see him hand over the empire than have Stefano disgraced and kicked out of his own home. I don't believe that this is the end of Stefano, though. The conversation on the plane yesterday made it sound as though he was still one step ahead of EJustin.
Do all the "Sami haters", I understand she is everywhere. In almost all scenes. I get that, and it IS perturbing. But my question about the complaints on AS's acting. Is it ya'lls stance that she is a bad actress, or is Sami that you dislike. Is it Sami or AS? Does anyone think she is playing Sami as they are directing her, or is it your opinion that she "overacts" and just a poor actress? I know next to nothing about acting, so I know I'm ignorant compared to most of ya'll here. I love learning from those of you who make a study of it!! Myself, I assume she is written to be a snotty, self centered, OTT woman! So I can't hat AS for that! I personally know women who act like that so I don't criticize Sweeny for that! Everyone cries differently. Holds their feelings in (hence the skirmishes on her face), storms around, demands. I know people like this so I don't blame AS as I assume its who her character is supposed to be!

CM as well. I kinda see his smirks as unnatural, but have accepted it as Wills personality. I know people who smile/smirk inappropriately, so chalk it up to where Will is at in life! With what he's been through I can understand him having awkward expressions and not emoting appropriately.

DHim....I see his posture/mannerisms as stuff that needs to be worked on!

I appreciate ya'll sharing your thoughts with me! I repeat, my theatre lingo is lacking cuz I'm not a student of the Art of acting!
I don't like Sami the character and I don't like the way AS plays her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Rosebud
Member Avatar

Sweet and Salty
Ophelia
Jul 9 2013, 11:38 PM
Okay, I didn't love this as much as others did. I was too distracted by Sami stamping her way through every storyline on screen -- still dressed in bright pink, as though we wouldn't notice her without it. I did enjoy her snarking on Daniel, but there was a little bit of "voice of the audience" in the dialogue that doesn't quite ring true when Sami says it. Much better when JJ does it. It was nice to hear, though.

One note -- it really bothers me that Kristen calls both Stefano and Eric 'Father'. Stops me for a minute in the story.

I'll be ticked if EJ takes down Stefano. If JM is retiring, I'd rather see him hand over the empire than have Stefano disgraced and kicked out of his own home. I don't believe that this is the end of Stefano, though. The conversation on the plane yesterday made it sound as though he was still one step ahead of EJustin.
Do all the "Sami haters", I understand she is everywhere. In almost all scenes. I get that, and it IS perturbing. But my question about the complaints on AS's acting. Is it ya'lls stance that she is a bad actress, or is Sami that you dislike. Is it Sami or AS? Does anyone think she is playing Sami as they are directing her, or is it your opinion that she "overacts" and just a poor actress? I know next to nothing about acting, so I know I'm ignorant compared to most of ya'll here. I love learning from those of you who make a study of it!! Myself, I assume she is written to be a snotty, self centered, OTT woman! So I can't hat AS for that! I personally know women who act like that so I don't criticize Sweeny for that! Everyone cries differently. Holds their feelings in (hence the skirmishes on her face), storms around, demands. I know people like this so I don't blame AS as I assume its who her character is supposed to be!

CM as well. I kinda see his smirks as unnatural, but have accepted it as Wills personality. I know people who smile/smirk inappropriately, so chalk it up to where Will is at in life! With what he's been through I can understand him having awkward expressions and not emoting appropriately.

DHim....I see his posture/mannerisms as stuff that needs to be worked on!

I appreciate ya'll sharing your thoughts with me! I repeat, my theatre lingo is lacking cuz I'm not a student of the Art of acting!
If you watch her early acting, when she first arrived in Salem, AS was certainly very green in her acting, but in my opinion she was a better actor back then. She has evolved into an actor full of bad habits that are magnified because she just can't seem to dial it all down. She had become this loud, graceless, smorgasbord of cruddy acting. I liked Sami when she first arrived. AS could act and the character had depth and you felt empathy for her. Over the years she just became revolting.
Edited by Rosebud, Jul 10 2013, 09:39 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

lysie
Jul 9 2013, 08:35 PM
I don't hate JS but I didn't think he was particularly good today. :shrug:
I may have mentioned that I'm a fan in the past - but I didn't think he was as on fire in this epi as I was hearing from others, except for that last scene. I'm never a fan of cigar smoking EJ - it always comes across as awkward to me. I thought he was fine, otherwise and I do get a kick out of his chemistry with Eileen Davidson.

But the last scene I thought was pretty damned stellar. There is sometimes a fine line with him and the really emotional stuff - he can slip into over the top pretty quickly. This last scene was exactly as it should be - the moment Stefano shut the door the mask fell from his face and the vulnerability and confliction was evident. Then the shot of him looking forlornly out the terrace doors with the Stefano portrait over his shoulder in the background - very well done.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jul 10 2013, 09:43 AM
lysie
I may have mentioned that I'm a fan in the past - but I didn't think he was as on fire in this epi as I was hearing from others, except for that last scene. I'm never a fan of cigar smoking EJ - it always comes across as awkward to me. I thought he was fine, otherwise and I do get a kick out of his chemistry with Eileen Davidson.

But the last scene I thought was pretty damned stellar. There is sometimes a fine line with him and the really emotional stuff - he can slip into over the top pretty quickly. This last scene was exactly as it should be - the moment Stefano shut the door the mask fell from his face and the vulnerability and confliction was evident. Then the shot of him looking forlornly out the terrace doors with the Stefano portrait over his shoulder in the background - very well done.
I think the last scene was fine but it was a bit odd because the rest of the scenes played out (and the whole story for that matter) has played out without subtext. It kind of reminds me of that light switch moment during the sydnapping, though not quite that bad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

angie37
Member Avatar

The whole "take down Stefano" scenario would have been better for me if we had been given a valid reason for it. Are we really supposed to believe that Junior is taking his father to task for the same crimes that he's basically committed as well? Attacking Sami's family? Disowning him? Didn't/hasn't EJ done the same in his time against said family and with Sydney?

Even more WTFery is the fact that people with decades of dealing with the Phoenix's shenanigans had no part or opportunity to finally win (at least for a few months) against the Great One. it should have been John, Marlena, Hope, or all three bringing him down.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

lysie
Jul 10 2013, 09:47 AM
SocRMum1
Jul 10 2013, 09:43 AM
lysie

I think the last scene was fine but it was a bit odd because the rest of the scenes played out (and the whole story for that matter) has played out without subtext. It kind of reminds me of that light switch moment during the sydnapping, though not quite that bad.
That's a fair analogy. There have been just a few short moments along the way when Justin was really quizzing EJ about why he was so determined to do this where they could have played up EJ's conflicted feelings about Stefano but they basically glossed it over with only EJ's anger.

In the end, I was hoping for a little more substance to the story - the whole last minute manipulations showing EJ and Justin making phone calls needed to be happening throughout the build to the story. As it stands, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. And ultimately the biggest problem I have is EJ just did everything he could to infuriate Stefano then watched him walk away knowing full well that Stefano still holds the evidence that could put Will in jail as well as prove motive for Sami attacking Bernardi. I needed at least some sort of dialogue to explain why EJ is seemingly not concerned about that. I'm hoping we'll get it in the dialogue between EJ and Sami today but I'm not holding my breath.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ophelia
Member Avatar

Rosebud
Jul 10 2013, 09:37 AM
Sweet and Salty

If you watch her early acting, when she first arrived in Salem, AS was certainly very green in her acting, but in my opinion she was a better actor back then. She has evolved into an actor full of bad habits that are magnified because she just can't seem to dial it all down. She had become this loud, graceless, smorgasbord of cruddy acting. I liked Sami when she first arrived. AS could act and the character had depth and you felt empathy for her. Over the years she just became revolting.
I actually used to love Sami and AS as Sami, but they've both evolved into something different. Sami the heroine just isn't as effective as Sami the hellion. The last time I liked Sami was shortly after she and Lucas got married this last time. It may have been around the time that AS started BL -- someone else with a better sense of the history can probably say how those things lined up. AS's acting has just gotten SO much worse, which wouldn't have been a problem except that her screen time also increased. She lacks subtlety now.

Yesterday they dressed in the brightest pink dress they could find and sent her stomping through the streets of Salem. Her lack of subtlety was really apparent in the scene with Jen and Teresa. Too much, folks, too much. I did enjoy how much she snarked on Daniel, though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

angie37
Jul 10 2013, 09:59 AM
The whole "take down Stefano" scenario would have been better for me if we had been given a valid reason for it. Are we really supposed to believe that Junior is taking his father to task for the same crimes that he's basically committed as well? Attacking Sami's family? Disowning him? Didn't/hasn't EJ done the same in his time against said family and with Sydney?

Even more WTFery is the fact that people with decades of dealing with the Phoenix's shenanigans had no part or opportunity to finally win (at least for a few months) against the Great One. it should have been John, Marlena, Hope, or all three bringing him down.
ITA. As much as I hate Ej and Ejami, I think having his excuse for the take over be that 'he's doing it to prove to Sami that he can be his own man and to distance himself from Stefano" would have been a better overall excuse. Of course he's already used this excuse in the past and it failed and even if he tried to use it again, it also has it's issues this time....because if that was used as an excuse then just go ahead and buy yourself another house, move Sami and her kids in and then try to execute a hostile takeover of CW ONLY....the company he's running with Sami....it would still piss off Stefano and likely start a war but it doesn't play off as so silly as this excuse plays off.....and don't go around making yourself into something more than what Stefano is.....calling him out on killing Lexie and hurting Sami when he also treated Lexie's husband like shit and went out of his way to make Sami and her family miserable.
Offline Profile Goto Top

throughthehourglass
Member Avatar

Watching yesterday's episode now...

Sami/AS was HORRIBLE. I had to cover my eyes when she was talking to herself after Eric kicked her out. I also cringed at her reaction to seeing Jeannie.

:facepalm: :fp2:
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jul 10 2013, 10:01 AM
That's a fair analogy. There have been just a few short moments along the way when Justin was really quizzing EJ about why he was so determined to do this where they could have played up EJ's conflicted feelings about Stefano but they basically glossed it over with only EJ's anger.

In the end, I was hoping for a little more substance to the story - the whole last minute manipulations showing EJ and Justin making phone calls needed to be happening throughout the build to the story. As it stands, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. And ultimately the biggest problem I have is EJ just did everything he could to infuriate Stefano then watched him walk away knowing full well that Stefano still holds the evidence that could put Will in jail as well as prove motive for Sami attacking Bernardi. I needed at least some sort of dialogue to explain why EJ is seemingly not concerned about that. I'm hoping we'll get it in the dialogue between EJ and Sami today but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm interested to hear what EJ says to Sami today and tomorrow about his reasons for going after DE and Stefano. With the secrecy around his plan, we've only heard EJ either talk to himself or to Justin about his rationale. He obviously isn't going to go in-depth into his mindset when he's just doing self-talk and it makes sense that he wouldn't discuss all his underlying feelings with Justin since they're not very close. If they're going to give us a lot of insight into EJ's motivations, the discussion with Sami is obviously the place to do that.
Online Profile Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Ophelia
Jul 10 2013, 10:03 AM
Rosebud
Jul 10 2013, 09:37 AM
Sweet and Salty

I actually used to love Sami and AS as Sami, but they've both evolved into something different. Sami the heroine just isn't as effective as Sami the hellion. The last time I liked Sami was shortly after she and Lucas got married this last time. It may have been around the time that AS started BL -- someone else with a better sense of the history can probably say how those things lined up. AS's acting has just gotten SO much worse, which wouldn't have been a problem except that her screen time also increased. She lacks subtlety now.

Yesterday they dressed in the brightest pink dress they could find and sent her stomping through the streets of Salem. Her lack of subtlety was really apparent in the scene with Jen and Teresa. Too much, folks, too much. I did enjoy how much she snarked on Daniel, though.
My big problem with AS/Sami besides her stomping around, scrunchy face crying, and OTT acting, is that she is being portrayed as both a heroine,selflessly saving Rafe's life and as a lying conniver hiding evidence from the police and attacking Bernardi for evidence. Having her both ways just doesn't make it for me. It's all plot driven and not character driven. They need to pick a route for Sami and stick to it. Same with EJ.
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

I don't like Theresa so far and knowing she might cause her mother to visit makes me like her even less. I wonder how old she is, though, since she's supposedly a lot older than the 20 year old Will; maybe she's old enough for Jen to get her thrown in jail for statutory.

EJ's first act as owner of the mansion should be to hire a decorator. I wish the show put some effort into the take over story, because it could have been really good if they played all the beats.

It's nice to see Sami snooping in the hospital files again.
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

Partnersincrime
Jul 10 2013, 06:11 AM
Ej does not need to sleep with someone to get her pregnant ej chose that why and ej lame apologie doesn't really count since week he try to force Sami to kiss
EJ was suppose to make a Brady pregnant not just any woman but I guess he could have kidnapped her and had her insimunated. If you are talking about the kiss in the car after EJ saves Sami from Andre that was a joke. Anyway the apology wasn't enough but a start. EJ didn't asked for forgivness but for a chance to earn it which he did a year later when Sami
forgave him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

S loves EJ
Jul 10 2013, 12:22 PM
Partnersincrime
Jul 10 2013, 06:11 AM
Ej does not need to sleep with someone to get her pregnant ej chose that why and ej lame apologie doesn't really count since week he try to force Sami to kiss
EJ was suppose to make a Brady pregnant not just any woman but I guess he could have kidnapped her and had her insimunated. If you are talking about the kiss in the car after EJ saves Sami from Andre that was a joke. Anyway the apology wasn't enough but a start. EJ didn't asked for forgivness but for a chance to earn it which he did a year later when Sami
forgave him.
If ej was really sincere he was not forced kiss on Sami the fact he did show he was not sincre
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

He stopped kissing her after that instead she started kissing him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

S loves EJ
Jul 10 2013, 12:56 PM
He stopped kissing her after that instead she started kissing him.
She did not not started kiss ej kiss her and she push him away
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

I wasn't talking about the kiss in the car but about the kisses they shared after that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lumifan4life85
Member Avatar

Okay, so I'm really behind on the show. EJ isn't Stefano's? Then who the HELL is his father?
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

^^No, he is....EJ just is throwing a tantrum over what happened last year when Stefano disowned him when he thought that he wasn't his (remember Ian McCallister?) He apparently forged a letter that said that Stefano was not Ej's bio dad....Stef believed it and he disowned EJ....lol....
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jul 10 2013, 10:17 AM
angie37
Jul 10 2013, 09:59 AM

ITA. As much as I hate Ej and Ejami, I think having his excuse for the take over be that 'he's doing it to prove to Sami that he can be his own man and to distance himself from Stefano" would have been a better overall excuse. Of course he's already used this excuse in the past and it failed and even if he tried to use it again, it also has it's issues this time....because if that was used as an excuse then just go ahead and buy yourself another house, move Sami and her kids in and then try to execute a hostile takeover of CW ONLY....the company he's running with Sami....it would still piss off Stefano and likely start a war but it doesn't play off as so silly as this excuse plays off.....and don't go around making yourself into something more than what Stefano is.....calling him out on killing Lexie and hurting Sami when he also treated Lexie's husband like shit and went out of his way to make Sami and her family miserable.
Can we do another round of who was responsible for killing Lexie? :drunk:
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic