Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Bryan Dattilo (Lucas) removed from credits 7/10, no longer on contract; Drake Hogestyn again not listed
Topic Started: Jul 10 2013, 01:47 PM (9,655 Views)
Maggie28wubsEj
Member Avatar

Personally I don't know why Ej is lumped with old ass Dan and old ass Rafe as leading men. I would have loved him to be linked with someone like Phillip, Eric, or even Lucas who he started out with. I don't even like Brady and think he's boring but still gets his fair share of airtime.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

^BD and JS actually have chemistry. And JKJ's Philip had chemistry with just about everyone so I'd love it if his version returned to the canvas.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Maggie28wubsEj
Jul 11 2013, 11:32 AM
Personally I don't know why Ej is lumped with old ass Dan and old ass Rafe as leading men. I would have loved him to be linked with someone like Phillip, Eric, or even Lucas who he started out with. I don't even like Brady and think he's boring but still gets his fair share of airtime.
I think the only reason they are lumping all three is that for the last 4 years these three men have been featured heavily as leads.
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

TreasureCove
Jul 10 2013, 05:31 PM
Dakota
Jul 10 2013, 04:04 PM
I felt that as soon as Rafe came on the scene and Chloe move on with Daniel that BD/Lucas was being phase out. They could not have three male characters interested in Sami.
That was and still is ridiculas for all those men to want the brat. They were already moving EJ on. They could have had a love triangle between Lumi and Safe, than brought on another girl for the winner while the loser got backburned with the booby prize.

men likes big boobs

TreasureCove
Jul 10 2013, 09:32 PM
mollymay
Jul 10 2013, 09:12 PM
TreasureCove
Jul 10 2013, 03:55 PM
mollymay
Jul 10 2013, 03:49 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Bryan was off the show befor GG started. Rafe isn't the one having father/son bonding scenes with Will. Rafe wasn't the one Will was confideing in about Nick being a homophobe.

People wouldn't be so mad at EJ if the writers would put him in his own damn storyline instead of jamming him in Lucas spot and giving him Lucas lines.
EJ is not in the spot Lucas used to occupy. That spot, the family approved man went to Rafe Hernandez.

Rafe wasn't family approved.

EJ is too in Lucas spot. All of the father/son bonding scenes were and still are given to EJ. Will keeps going to EJ instead of Lucas. EJ even held little AG first.

I like Ejillll but I liked them more as enemies . Lucas should be more with Will but he got to see AG first and I think they wanted to split up the baby holding scenes and not have AG tossed around between Sami, Marlena, and Lucas all at once. I think Lucas should had a bigger role in the Wabibaby storyline as Will s father but I don't think it would have made sense to had Lumi scheme to much since Sami is with EJ now and he would have had a problem with Sami working to much with her exhusband.
Edited by S loves EJ, Jul 11 2013, 01:53 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Then Lucas, Sonny, and Will should have schemed together. They didn't need to make the story all about Sami.
Offline Profile Goto Top

S loves EJ

Don't you know it's the Sami show. No hey needed something for EJ and Sami to do and the writers are not creative enough to come up with more than one storyline at the time, and Sami jumping on Bernadis back was a lot of fun.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

LuvingLumi
Jul 11 2013, 10:28 AM
soapgal
Jul 11 2013, 09:13 AM
Dee-anne
Jul 11 2013, 08:51 AM

'I don't like Lucas and I see why they don't see him as a lead or write for him.'

I am not a Lucas fan but, I can see that the writers do treat him as if he is insignificant a lot of the times. It is so blatantly obvious and they really dont care.

I am just curious about this statement you made above. Why do you think they dont write for Lucas, and as an actor I dont think he is worse than EJ, so why don't you see him as a lead?

Quote:

I don't think BD is a bad actor at all, actually I think he's a good actor. I don't see him as a lead because IMO he doesn't have the charismatic qualities of a lead character. This is purely subjective, absolutely no objectivity is related to this statement. I think other leads have more charisma such as Jason Thompson, Steve Burton, Tyler Christopher, even DH (I don't want to start an argument so I won't include JS, even though he is my all time favorite). If you see a mainstream show doing a soap parody they wouldn't use a character like Lucas as the sexy male lead they would use one of those I named above. I just don't see him fitting the perception of a male lead character based on his lack of charisma and sex appeal. Of course, that's all subjective I'm sure there are others who see him as charismatic and sexy.

ITA that TPTB do not treat him well and don't use him in SLs that he would be expected to be in. For example, many Lucas fans argue EJ is inserted in stories where Lucas' place should be. I don't disagree with this. I just think that TPTB think EJ is more popular and/or fans would rather see him and that's why they put him there. I, for one, would rather see him there than Lucas. This isn't real life where a father would be in his son's life when he's having a baby with someone else. This is a soap that wants to put on screen people that fans want to see. A lot of people complain about the lack of realism with the lack of Lucas in the SL, but for me personally I don't care about realism. I just want to see entertainment and the characters that entertain me.

Could they use Lucas in supporting stories? Of course! However, again I think the perception is that fans want to see other supporting characters more or TPTB want to give fans a chance to get to know the JJs of Salem more. I don't necessarily agree or disagree, that's just what I think. It seems from what I read that many die hard Lucas fans are long time viewers, I don't know that new viewers have embraced or enjoyed the character. I guess he hasn't really been on screen enough for a new viewer to know him.

Thanks for asking my opinion!
You actually think that fans want to see more of likes of Daniel and Rafe than Lucas? I don't agree with that in the slightest. Go to ANY board, go to ANY Forum except shipper boards and you'll find an overwhelming majority of posters wanting to see more of Lucas and missing Lucas in story. Every time Lucas appears you see people tweeting out their support and you see posters on boards saying the same thing over and over again, "I want more Lucas".

When Bryan was said to be returning there was an overwhelming joy around the boards with a good majority of posters everywhere stating that they were happy he was back. Here at DR alone, the vast majority of posters were elated: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8616415/1/ and if you go back to the thread where his firing was announced in 2009, you'll see that although there was some outrage, a number of posters didn't really care to see him go, because the writing for him had taken such a toll on his character by then that some people didn't really care, it's sort of what we are seeing now with Drake's news. Bryan and Lucas has fans and they aren't just fans of Lumi BTW.....the misconception I think is that Bryan only has Lumi fans backing him up and I think that is the perception that TPTB have and maybe that is why they don't give a flip about the character, especially when Sami is now in one relationship and they keep throwing her back into Rafe's orbit every now and again. TPTB couldn't be more wrong if this is what's stopping them. I'd say at this time and for the longest time now fans have wanted to see him get chem testing with another female or two, but this show refuses to even make an attempt. This must be the only soap who continuously writes for the popular actresses of pairings and lets the popular males go to waste over and over again.....it's mind blowing.
There is an overwhelming support for BD/Lucas over Daniel and Rafe. Although I don't belong to any other board beside this one. I see the support for Lucas on Soapcentral. Lucas is a legacy character and is a veteran of Days. He was one of the main reasons why I started to watch Days and the reason why I care for Sami in the first place. Lucas was the only one that got Sami and vice versa. As other have stated, it is not the actors fault for BD/Lucas being phase out it is the writing team and head of the Days that is the problem. They have such talent in BD, but they would rather not use BD in favor of other actors who don't have the same loyal followership and fanbase. Now I understand there is no way to measure how large a fanbase is for any character or actor, but I would put a bet that BD/Lucas has a good sde fanbase and lots of suppoprt. However, his character is not being written for at all and that where the problems lies. Even supporting actors can support storylines, but yet he was underused in the Will and the baby storyline. Even supporting players like Marlena were not involved at all. I just don't get tptb idea of not using their talented vets, but in favor of newbies who don't add much to the canvas.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MericP
Member Avatar

:'( I'm so sad I can't even type. :'(

I realize Lucas isn't everyone's cup of tea, seriously.

But, fact is, he's GENERALLY well accepted. Better accepted than some of the characters still on canvas and getting a story.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Kaycee

T-Love74
Jul 10 2013, 01:55 PM
A big black mark??? Really???
Well.. Ive been watching MANY MANY years.. And In my opinion They have not had a deserving year in a VERY VERY long time.. And definitely NOT 2013.. So somebody was paid off (GH was so so much better) Or this was some Token award for a show they know wont be around much longer.. I cant figure it out, because the show is beyond BAD !!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kaycee

MericP
Jul 11 2013, 03:32 PM
:'( I'm so sad I can't even type. :'(

I realize Lucas isn't everyone's cup of tea, seriously.

But, fact is, he's GENERALLY well accepted. Better accepted than some of the characters still on canvas and getting a story.

Im Sad because they seem to be systematically removing, and destroying Beloved Vets.. In favor of much less Talented actors, Who have small if any Fan bases.. They focus on ONE couple.. when we used to all have atleast 2 to 4 favs at any given time.. Frankly I go DAYS with out watching, then FF thru the show to catch up. And i have to force myself to do that. Nobody on the cast compels me to watch or be interested.

I think Its terrible what They have done to Lucas, and to Drake.. Its LAZY , and beyond distasteful to Treat a loyal and beloved Vet in such a disrespectful way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Kaycee
Jul 11 2013, 03:36 PM
T-Love74
Jul 10 2013, 01:55 PM
A big black mark??? Really???
Well.. Ive been watching MANY MANY years.. And In my opinion They have not had a deserving year in a VERY VERY long time.. And definitely NOT 2013.. So somebody was paid off (GH was so so much better) Or this was some Token award for a show they know wont be around much longer.. I cant figure it out, because the show is beyond BAD !!!
IMHO I think they got the award this year because of their ground breaking gay storyline featuring a character that is pretty much the future of the show. Days has gotten very good and positive press coverage over the story and if the academy didn't give them the award this year and shunned them again it would like like they are shunning the gay storyline. At least that is the way I see it. Days didn't win the award for 35 years, and you are going to tell me the shit that both MarDar and TomSell put out in a year that the show had to change writers because it was so bad is the year they win? But B&B who clearly deserved the award this year is left without one? YEah right....

Don't get me wrong....I'm sort of happy Days won, but of all the times to win maybe 2009 with the baby switch, or go back to 2003 with the Salem Serial Killing, or the 90s with the Secret Room, J&J's story, THe Pawn and the Affair...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kaycee

Fantastic66
Jul 11 2013, 01:22 AM
One poster stated that GT said Lucas wasn't leading
man material.I think because Lucas has no love interest
is why he is recurring.There isn't enough s/l for him.I figured
that one he started getting Cliff hanger roles.
Thats because these writers are too lazy to write for over half of these actors. I can think a Dozen stories for Lucas, and 2 dozen for John Black.. They are just pure Lazy and without the ability to think outside their narrow minded boxes
Offline Profile Goto Top

Luvmydays
Member Avatar

And that is why this show sucks so bad. I still don't know who they paid off to win the Emmy. :shame: :shame:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Fantastic66
Member Avatar

I was reading about Mathew Ashford Jack.That he had to leave
because Nbc watch dogs intervened.Days wanted to keep him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

I believe BD and Drake is treated badly because they are vets that were part of a supercouple. The last supercouples were Lumi and Shelle. Since then the male vets especially those connected to supercouples have been abused. Its a shame.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Hugo
Member Avatar

Maybe NBC is responsible for all those great male characters being written off the show?

They probably asked a panel (women in the key demos who are not even watching the show) "how attractive do you find these men?" I'm sure Shawn Christian, James Scott, Eric Martsolf tested very well. Drake Hogestyn, Bryan Dattilo, Matthew Assford probably didn't. Then NBC made some "suggestions" to the writers. That would explain a lot...
Offline Profile Goto Top

daysmemories
Member Avatar

Hugo
Jul 13 2013, 12:25 PM
Maybe NBC is responsible for all those great male characters being written off the show?

They probably asked a panel (women in the key demos who are not even watching the show) "how attractive do you find these men?" I'm sure Shawn Christian, James Scott, Eric Martsolf tested very well. Drake Hogestyn, Bryan Dattilo, Matthew Assford probably didn't. Then NBC made some "suggestions" to the writers. That would explain a lot...
Maybe but I find Shawn Christianson kinda dirty ugly.
Offline Profile Goto Top

daysmemories
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Jul 13 2013, 12:24 PM
I believe BD and Drake is treated badly because they are vets that were part of a supercouple. The last supercouples were Lumi and Shelle. Since then the male vets especially those connected to supercouples have been abused. Its a shame.

True Lumi and Shelle are the last of the young supercouples and we know KC hates supercouples.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Hugo
Jul 13 2013, 12:25 PM

I doubt it. More like they asked Days HR how cheap are these guys?
Offline Profile Goto Top

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

This totally sucks. Lucas BELONGS in Salem with his children and his new grandchild. He deserves a love interest. People LOVE watching him and are always thrilled when he's on. I am loving so much of what this regime is doing but I can't understand or support this at all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic