Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: DAYS Casting New Role
Topic Started: Jul 18 2013, 10:14 AM (7,651 Views)
px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Is it normal to put out a casting call for a "name actor" as opposed to just inviting one on or creating a role specifically for that person?

That part just seems a little weird to me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

px780
Jul 18 2013, 11:27 PM
Is it normal to put out a casting call for a "name actor" as opposed to just inviting one on or creating a role specifically for that person?

That part just seems a little weird to me.
It would make sense, but for some reason, they don't always do that. For example on Y&R, Drake Hogestyn also tried out for the part Stephen Nichols got. Clearly they wanted a "name actor" there, but I guess they didn't have a specific one in mind.

Born Cynic

Ronn Moss? Replace DH with an even worse actor.

naptown
Member Avatar

Didn't they try this last year with Ian Buchanan? Oddly enough, aside from being a different character, he kinda looks better and more at ease on GH now as Duke. I never got his tight mouth/pursed lip look on Days. I thought it was just bad plastic surgery, but he doesn't really look like that on GH. I don't know if it was because the writing for him was horrific on Days and never knew where his storyline was going. They sure used him to tie up 3 shitty storylines and then showed him the door.

And for fuck sake, when will people stop trying to resurrect Nicole's dead babies? Wasn't one stillborn baby resurrected from the bayou and SORAS'd bad enough? It's more plausible to give her a teenager from her Misty Circle or Trent Robbins years that she gave up for adoption.

To bring my comments full circle ... Ian Buchanan played a fertility doctor on AMC who brought Erica Kane's aborted fetus from the 70s back to life and raised him as his own son.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Jul 18 2013, 06:57 PM
Hmm...I was watching four years ago. How come I don't remember? Who'd he play, Sindacco?
He played the father of Owen, the guy who kidnapped Stephanie. The father ran the mortuary where Owen locked Stephanie in the morgue.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Why would we want her to have a teenager from asshole Trent, or a teenager from her own recorded teenaged rape? It's bad enough that we already have Johnny born from rape.

The death of Nicole's baby for egagmi, and for Dannifer angst was a really shitty story. They even half-assed it at that by completely skipping over the funeral and the grave.

A baby stolen from a character with an actress of AZ's caliber, if written correctly, I have no doubt AZ would spin gold. She deserves a real frontburner storyline, not propping Eric and Daniel as the Saints of Salem.
Edited by TreasureCove, Jul 19 2013, 02:49 AM.

concerned
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Jul 18 2013, 06:15 PM
jam6242
Jul 18 2013, 10:42 AM
Laufeyson
Jul 18 2013, 10:33 AM
Ok, what's a name actor?
Someone with name recognition. I'm hoping this is someone for Hope. I would be happy if it was for Kayla too but that seems less likely since it's a contract role. Seems a bit young for Marlena unless they're doing another older woman/younger man pairing. Please no more men for Jen or Kristen.
Yeah. It's probably not for Kayla, but I want to go on record that I would LIKE somebody for Kayla.

Days, are you listening?

Someday, maybe I'll get MY wish. They could cast a nice actor...recurring even, that she could start seeing. I mean, she's been alone for quite awhile in soap time, and I'd think it would be time for her to start thinking it's time to seek happiness again. Not that a single woman can't BE happy...but I'd think she'd start thinking about entering the dating scene...maybe hesitantly, but thinking about it. I would love to see a ladies night out, where she and Hope discuss it at some point.

Idea: They each try to find the other a match...but then when the dates happen, Hope likes the fella Kayla dated, and Kayla likes the fella that Hope dated.

Could be fun!
I sometimes wonder if anyone involved in the production of this show even watches it.

It should be clear that Mary Beth Evans is streets above some of the others in delivering powerful emotion packed story lines.

concerned
Member Avatar

DJsMommy
Jul 18 2013, 08:47 PM
tomsawyer
Jul 18 2013, 10:40 AM
Hmmm... Sounds like a guy for Hope to me, especially since this comes on the heals of talks with PR "breaking down." But if it is a guy for Hope, again, why not Vargas?
Exactly! Why bring in someone new when Vargas is already there & the chemistry is already there with Hope? If I can't have Bope, I want Vope! :frustration:
I just want Sean Douglas on board. Anything that lifts the acting calibre.

Recast dr Jonas if they need to. Recast him as bo. Hell recast him as Sami.

concerned
Member Avatar

Born Cynic
Jul 19 2013, 12:10 AM
Ronn Moss? Replace DH with an even worse actor.
Hell to the no.

And you thought I was upset about baby ejole dying.

concerned
Member Avatar

naptown
Jul 19 2013, 01:40 AM
Didn't they try this last year with Ian Buchanan? Oddly enough, aside from being a different character, he kinda looks better and more at ease on GH now as Duke. I never got his tight mouth/pursed lip look on Days. I thought it was just bad plastic surgery, but he doesn't really look like that on GH. I don't know if it was because the writing for him was horrific on Days and never knew where his storyline was going. They sure used him to tie up 3 shitty storylines and then showed him the door.

And for fuck sake, when will people stop trying to resurrect Nicole's dead babies? Wasn't one stillborn baby resurrected from the bayou and SORAS'd bad enough? It's more plausible to give her a teenager from her Misty Circle or Trent Robbins years that she gave up for adoption.

To bring my comments full circle ... Ian Buchanan played a fertility doctor on AMC who brought Erica Kane's aborted fetus from the 70s back to life and raised him as his own son.
Sorry I've watched Nicole go on and on about wanting a baby for almost seven years now.

She's done her time. And how is she going to move on to the next generation without a child's life to meddle in.

I'll take a baby any way we can get it. It can even be ford dekkers frozen sperm.

camera shy

TreasureCove
Jul 19 2013, 02:42 AM
Why would we want her to have a teenager from asshole Trent, or a teenager from her own recorded teenaged rape? It's bad enough that we already have Johnny born from rape.

The death of Nicole's baby for egagmi, and for Dannifer angst was a really shitty story. They even half-assed it at that by completely skipping over the funeral and the grave.

A baby stolen from a character with an actress of AZ's caliber, if written correctly, I have no doubt AZ would spin gold. She deserves a real frontburner storyline, not propping Eric and Daniel as the Saints of Salem.
For some reason people are all for Nicole having a child just as long as it's not EJ's. :shrug:

tylerbo20

Hopefully it's bill Horton

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

There is no parallel universe where Bill Horton is 45-55 years old. MIKE Horton, yes. Bill Horton, no. Bill would have to be at the very LEAST in his mid-late 60s and, more ideal, somewhere in his mid 70s.

thepadange

I'm just wondering why they try to keep even minor spoilerish hints at the future s/ls under wraps but give such a detailed character description.
"Young son" hint could mean the character is for Hope (because of Ciara) or/and maybe Kristen, especially if they decide to go with the adoption route for Bristen. Then the biological father of the adopted child can come to Salem to take his child back...

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Tammy
Jul 18 2013, 10:59 PM
Mitchapalooza
Jul 18 2013, 10:28 AM
45 to 55....hello love interest for Marlena?
That was my FIRST thought lol.
isn't 45-55 a bit young for Marlena? after all, Sami & Eric ARE in their mid-to-late 30s. a 45 year old would barely be 10 years older than they are. 45-55 makes more sense for people like Hope, Kayla, or even Nicole (if they want to pair her with someone slightly older than she is).
Marlena is long overdue someone new looking at her twice. Every "other person obstacle" the last 15 years has been for John, and Marlena's apparently seperated now. I'd take a new man coming into her life, which shakes up her life a bit and either snaps John's brain into working position, or forces her to go find him and leads to a mystery.

Either way though, Deidre and Kristian both deserve leading men who can BRING. IT. Enough models. Unless they have a Shemar Moore lying about there.

Antonio Sabato Jr? We already know he and DH look GORGEOUS together. Hell, what's MacGyver doing these days? Wanna come back to soaps, Rick?

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

45-55 sure as hell is not too young for Marlena. She doesn't look her age and Robert Newman is exactly 55. I think he would match up better with Deidre than Kristian. But I do think this is for Kristian. Bradley Cole is a great suggestion! I hope they find someone good because to me that's more important than who they want to pair him with.

OliveAnn

Why do people think this could be any established character like Mike or Bill? The fact that they are open to any nationality tells you that it's probably someone new.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

The Room Stops
Jul 19 2013, 11:59 AM
Supergirlx2
Tammy
Jul 18 2013, 10:59 PM
Mitchapalooza
Jul 18 2013, 10:28 AM
45 to 55....hello love interest for Marlena?
That was my FIRST thought lol.
isn't 45-55 a bit young for Marlena? after all, Sami & Eric ARE in their mid-to-late 30s. a 45 year old would barely be 10 years older than they are. 45-55 makes more sense for people like Hope, Kayla, or even Nicole (if they want to pair her with someone slightly older than she is).
Marlena is long overdue someone new looking at her twice. Every "other person obstacle" the last 15 years has been for John, and Marlena's apparently seperated now. I'd take a new man coming into her life, which shakes up her life a bit and either snaps John's brain into working position, or forces her to go find him and leads to a mystery.

Either way though, Deidre and Kristian both deserve leading men who can BRING. IT. Enough models. Unless they have a Shemar Moore lying about there.

Antonio Sabato Jr? We already know he and DH look GORGEOUS together. Hell, what's MacGyver doing these days? Wanna come back to soaps, Rick?
i think MacGyver might be a touch surprised to see Deborah alive after she fell off the cliff. ;)

Antonio Sabato Jr & Kristian would be hot!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I'd say 35-45 for Hope and 45-55 for Marlena is more appropriate.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Didn't Richard Dean Anderson & Deidre Hall date at one time or am I just making that up in my head?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply