Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Friday July 19th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jul 19 2013, 08:25 AM (16,240 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

Finally an eppi worth watching this week! Wow, awesome. Except Fetch that is...

Sami is delusional, Marlena was awesome, and Ej's a putz. Actually Sami's a putz too.

Hope and Ej actually was a great scene.

Nicole air-kissing Kristen was freaking AMAZING. Seriously.

Ending was great too.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Matt
Jul 20 2013, 10:22 AM
I have a hard time in placing any value in a battle over a company that didn't exist & didn't matter AT ALL before about 6 years ago.
Completely agree. Titan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DiMera Enterprises. Seriously they haven't done a good job in establishing DE as a business front for all the illegal activities the DiMera's love to engage in. Or is it? At least on GH they have established for years that Sonny Corinthos's coffee business is a front. But I think even this is missing the point. I always thought of the Phoenix as a villain, not a mob boss. Yeah, he's Italian and does evil things, but he doesn't fit the mold of a gangster like Sonny Corinthos or a member of the Corelone family. He's more like the Cassadine's or Palpatine/Darth Vader. The level of evil of his various schemes (replacing Roman with John, making Hope think she was Gina, faking people's deaths, obsession with Marlena) goes far beyond the average mob boss, IMO and puts Stefano in a different category. I've sometimes felt over the past few years of so that various regimes have tried to characterize the DiMera's as a mob family, particularly in the two most recent DiMera/Kiriakis feuds.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laufeyson
Member Avatar

I miss Titan and all the business stories connected to it. And I also miss the Spectator. Those were the two things that made me believe Salemites didn't lazy about all day doing nothing. I could relate to them because they sort of had jobs where I saw them actually work. This last CW vs Mad World has been such a disappointment for the mere fact that I couldn't believe someone who barely finished high school can be a high powered exec, sad really.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

To be fair, I remember when Titan was a company that the writers just pulled out of their ass for Victor to own/run that we'd NEVER heard mention of before. Until Titan just popped up out of thin air in the early 1990s, Victor's sole above board business was shipping & imports. Suddenly, out of no where, Victor owned a major publishing conglomerate in addition to his shipping business (which is never even mentioned anymore).

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

If this show wanted to bring on a company that actually has genuine, long-standing roots in the show's history, they'd have someone revitalize Anderson Manufacturing, the show's ORIGINAL (as of the early 1970s) major corporation/business in town.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Matt
Jul 20 2013, 11:41 AM
If this show wanted to bring on a company that actually has genuine, long-standing roots in the show's history, they'd have someone revitalize Anderson Manufacturing, the show's ORIGINAL (as of the early 1970s) major corporation/business in town.
Anything to bring Alex back! :wub2:

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

It is impossible for me to take EJ seriously as the DiMera heir apparent when just a short while ago he was giddy over stealing an aging cosmetic product from Kate. DiMeras and cosmetics are two things that should never go together. What's next, are we going to see a reappearance of the dreaded fishing hat? I miss the EJ Wells of the Black Glove who shot John. Now THAT guy was a DiMera.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I miss when any shred of legitimate DiMera business was merely a illusion and a front & cover for their true illegal dealings.

Fantastic66
Member Avatar

JarlenaLante
Jul 20 2013, 12:08 PM
It is impossible for me to take EJ seriously as the DiMera heir apparent when just a short while ago he was giddy over stealing an aging cosmetic product from Kate. DiMeras and cosmetics are two things that should never go together. What's next, are we going to see a reappearance of the dreaded fishing hat? I miss the EJ Wells of the Black Glove who shot John. Now THAT guy was a DiMera.
EJ stole the idea of the cosmetic product from
Nicks flash drive.Stefeno taught EJ well how to
be a crook.EJ learned from the best. :flipoff: Stefeno was born into
a Mafia family.Stefeno probably just took over Dimera Enterprises.
Stefeno father passed when he was very young.Santo was on
his death bed when he asked a young Stefeno to go after
that Egg that he wanted Princess Gina and the Pawn to
retrieve.
Edited by Fantastic66, Jul 20 2013, 12:46 PM.

marie1969

lysie
Jul 20 2013, 10:11 AM
marie1969
Jul 20 2013, 09:38 AM

Ej may play bravado, but he is very much aware that Stephano is gunning for him and he is ready to fight back. Ej is not stupid and I wish that everyone in Salem would stop warning him about Stephano like they know him better that he(EJ) does. I don't really get their concerns because none of these people actually care about Ej and more to the point it is none of their business (yeah I am looking at you Nicole. Focus on your own damn life or lack of it). I do suspect that Hope/Marlena are partly pissed because Ej succeeded in what they have tried to do and failed for decades.

Marlena and Hope have never tried to take over Dimera Enterprises. And EJ doesn't seem aware at all to me. He did at first but his overconfidence now looks like it's going to be his downfall. I think the fact that they know that DE isn't the way to get to Stefano is pretty good evidence that they do know him better than EJ.
Fair enough, Marlena and Hope have never tried to take Stephano down by taking his company, but John did. In any case, there is more than on way to skin a cat. The point is the good folks of Salem have tried doing it many times for many years and failed miserably. Granted they have mostly tried to get him by sending him to prison, but it never stuck. Now would be a good time for them to go after Stephano though since he is vulnerable at the moment.

IMO, Ej overconfidence is just a facade. Per his conversation with Justin, he knows that Stephano is coming after him and he is getting his ducks in a row hopefully with Justin's help.

I tend to think that Stephano will likely take advantage of Ej being preoccupied with Sami being in jail to strike back. It will be interesting to see how Ej juggle his war with his father and getting Sami out this latest jam.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I love working with Kristian. She's wonderful and fantastic." ~ DC

marie1969
Jul 20 2013, 01:19 PM
lysie
marie1969

Ej may play bravado, but he is very much aware that Stephano is gunning for him and he is ready to fight back. Ej is not stupid and I wish that everyone in Salem would stop warning him about Stephano like they know him better that he(EJ) does. I don't really get their concerns because none of these people actually care about Ej and more to the point it is none of their business (yeah I am looking at you Nicole. Focus on your own damn life or lack of it). I do suspect that Hope/Marlena are partly pissed because Ej succeeded in what they have tried to do and failed for decades.

Marlena and Hope have never tried to take over Dimera Enterprises. And EJ doesn't seem aware at all to me. He did at first but his overconfidence now looks like it's going to be his downfall. I think the fact that they know that DE isn't the way to get to Stefano is pretty good evidence that they do know him better than EJ.
Fair enough, Marlena and Hope have never tried to take Stephano down by taking his company, but John did. In any case, there is more than on way to skin a cat. The point is the good folks of Salem have tried doing it many times for many years and failed miserably. Granted they have mostly tried to get him by sending him to prison, but it never stuck. Now would be a good time for them to go after Stephano though since he is vulnerable at the moment.

IMO, Ej overconfidence is just a facade. Per his conversation with Justin, he knows that Stephano is coming after him and he is getting his ducks in a row hopefully with Justin's help.

I tend to think that Stephano will likely take advantage of Ej being preoccupied with Sami being in jail to strike back. It will be interesting to see how Ej juggle his war with his father and getting Sami out this latest jam.
Marlena, Hope, & others have tried to make Stefano pay for his crimes and all the heinous things he's done to them over the years. that's completely different than trying to take over his company. they don't want to run "DiMera Enterprises". they just want Stefano to rot in prison.

camera shy

For all of you Ericole fans, seemed like to me Eric got a little jealous when EJ brought Nicole up and wonder why since he was about to marry his sister. And I loved Marlena's "Oh really!" when Sami said something about finally being with someone she had the most in common with. Sometimes you have to let your child walk right off a cliff and hope they don't get hurt too badly in the fall and that's what I see Marlena doing with Sami.

Fantastic66
Member Avatar

marie1969
lysie
marie1969

The Dimera/Bradys/Kriikus have been fueding for
years before EJ was even thought of.The family
that Stefeno wrecked hacok on have every right
to question EJ about the take over.Stefeno could
go after either family to get revenge on EJ :flipoff: .Stefeno
will probably have Justin beat up.So don't just expect
those families to keep quiet about a Mafia man that
has endangered and tormented their families for many
years.
Edited by Fantastic66, Jul 20 2013, 02:01 PM.

Fantastic66
Member Avatar

Hologram
Jul 20 2013, 06:33 AM
mollymay
Jul 19 2013, 02:19 PM
Laufeyson
Jul 19 2013, 02:17 PM
samifan7
Jul 19 2013, 02:09 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Huh?
Actually I think its a set-up for Marlena to become an EJ cheerleader in the near future, especially with the trial thats coming up for Sami.
Interesting. EJ do need someone on his side other than Sami. Marlena would have something to do other than just be a concerned mother to Sami.

I would have hoped to see Hope helping EJ to help Sami for her second trial.. maybe even to see a spark start between the two? Late nights to find a way to save her and maybe get back on Stefano, .. comfort in need etc. If you think about it. Maybe once Sami gets released EJ would suddenly have feeling for Hope and vice versa?
I don't if Marlena will ever see EJ as a love
interest.She may grow to love him as her
Son in law for the second time around.They
say the second time around is better than
the first time.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

marie1969
lysie
marie1969

Not John. The version Stefano created when he stole his body and took his mind is who tried to steal the company.

Marlena, John, Bo and Hope have tried to take Stefano and everything he runs illegal dealings from down. That includes the company. They want to shut it down, not run it. It's the exact opposite of what EJ wants.

S loves EJ

Supergirlx2
Jul 20 2013, 01:24 PM
marie1969
lysie
marie1969

Marlena, Hope, & others have tried to make Stefano pay for his crimes and all the heinous things he's done to them over the years. that's completely different than trying to take over his company. they don't want to run "DiMera Enterprises". they just want Stefano to rot in prison.

I think she meant EJ has succeeded in taking Stefano down which Hope/Marlena tried to do and failed, or so he thinks. Still I donīt think they are jealous because they donīt believe EJ has succeeded in doing that.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

Re. Daniel, Jennifer and JJ - Having been in the JJ situation to some extent (my parents divorced rather than one dying off, and I was always accepting of their split ... but I didn't always like my mom's new boyfriend taking up all of her attention and found it deeply irritating), I can say that Daniel is correct in that JJ cannot dictate his mother's private life. That said, the way Daniel reacts to JJ seems purely on the level of an object obstacle, not as an admittedly very troubled young human being. I'm not saying he has to buy JJ's bullshit (because a lot of what JJ says and does is definitely bullshit), but regardless of right or wrong, right now they're not on track to become an understanding family unit. Young people like JJ need patience, and Daniel isn't obligated to be patient with JJ, but without patience things aren't going to get warmer, and from Jennifer's perspective, it is going to hurt a LOT if her boyfriend/spouse (ugh) doesn't like her child. I am speaking from experience here (albeit from the child's position), when you're a mom your child is your everything. Sometimes you're blind to their flaws, but your pain for them is very real.

Which, don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to never see Daniel and JJ be one big family. But I am definitely more interested in Jennifer's relationship with her son, I find it a very compelling and potentially poignant dynamic, than JJ as an obstacle for Dannifer. JJ has been the best thing for Jennifer's character in a while, IMO, I like seeing her as a mother and as a working woman much more than as a lovesick puppy for Daniel.

I just worry about totally embracing this storyline. As much potential as it has, it could also be really wasted and ultimately just end up propping Daniel.

In other news -- yes, Brady is so dumb, Jesus. But at least it's consistent. Brady's character is coalescing as a guy who just makes really bad choices about women. He's constantly picking himself up and throwing himself into a second wind, but it ends up blowing up in his face.

I wish I didn't find Kristen's methods of exacting revenge contrived, though, but I do. But the beats are being played out decently, even though the content doesn't quite live up to the framework IMO. Kristen breaking things and talking out loud to herself is becoming kind of a shtick.

Hope :wub:
Edited by DesignatedShelley, Jul 20 2013, 02:55 PM.

Sweet and Salty

Supergirlx2
Jul 19 2013, 06:27 PM
presley cat
Jul 19 2013, 06:15 PM
Loved today's show.
Does anyone have a bead on Hope's comment to EJ about Justin? Something like "If I know Justin he only dealt with the legal companies."
Hope meant that Justin (the adult lawyer, as opposed to the snarky young businessman) doesn't play dirty. Thus, if EJ attained what he did with Justin's help, then nothing illegal was obtained during the change of power.
Which I LOVE that she pointed out!!

Mouse Mom

Panda Panda
Jul 19 2013, 02:50 PM
AS doesn't know what she's talking about. That dress was pink

Posted Image
What ever color that dress was, it was too tight. Looked like she borrowed it from a teenager.

jwsel
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Jul 20 2013, 02:53 PM
Re. Daniel, Jennifer and JJ - Having been in the JJ situation to some extent (my parents divorced rather than one dying off, and I was always accepting of their split ... but I didn't always like my mom's new boyfriend taking up all of her attention and found it deeply irritating), I can say that Daniel is correct in that JJ cannot dictate his mother's private life. That said, the way Daniel reacts to JJ seems purely on the level of an object obstacle, not as an admittedly very troubled young human being. I'm not saying he has to buy JJ's bullshit (because a lot of what JJ says and does is definitely bullshit), but regardless of right or wrong, right now they're not on track to become an understanding family unit. Young people like JJ need patience, and Daniel isn't obligated to be patient with JJ, but without patience things aren't going to get warmer, and from Jennifer's perspective, it is going to hurt a LOT if her boyfriend/spouse (ugh) doesn't like her child. I am speaking from experience here (albeit from the child's position), when you're a mom your child is your everything. Sometimes you're blind to their flaws, but your pain for them is very real.

Which, don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to never see Daniel and JJ be one big family. But I am definitely more interested in Jennifer's relationship with her son, I find it a very compelling and potentially poignant dynamic, than JJ as an obstacle for Dannifer. JJ has been the best thing for Jennifer's character in a while, IMO, I like seeing her as a mother and as a working woman much more than as a lovesick puppy for Daniel.

I just worry about totally embracing this storyline. As much potential as it has, it could also be really wasted and ultimately just end up propping Daniel.
I was in your situation too and agree with virtually everything you said, except I would point out that there is a major difference between a parent dying and parents divorcing. Jack died in a brutal accident and Jennifer barely mourned. Meanwhile, JJ was left to himself to deal with the loss of his father and now that he has come back, his mother has moved on with Dr. Douche, who is a judgmental prick. No, Dan isn't obligated to be patient with JJ, but the instant he set up any choice between JJ and Jen's relationship with him, she should have tossed Dan to the curb. That Jennifer has even debated continuing a relationship with Daniel under the circumstances speaks volumes for how far she has sunk and how toxic the relationship is. Making JJ an obstacle to Dannifer has the entire storyline backwards. If Dan is going to act like he is, he is the obstacle to the Horton's.

The idea that JJ is some terrible kid because he smokes weed, cuts some classes, and shoplifts is simply ludicrous. That describes half the kids from my high school who went to Ivy League colleges. It's not like JJ is committing drive-bys or dealing heroin to school-children. What he needs is to be in regular therapy to deal with his father's death. (Speaking of which, why isn't Abby in therapy either? Having her deal with the trauma of witnessing Jack's death would be one hell of a story, and it's not too late for her to have some delayed PTSD from the events of the Days-aster.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply