Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spoilers for the week of August 5th; *updated 7/28*
Topic Started: Jul 24 2013, 12:04 AM (32,913 Views)
mollymay

concerned
Jul 30 2013, 10:07 PM
mollymay
Jul 30 2013, 09:47 PM
LuvingLumi
Jul 30 2013, 09:31 PM
marie1969
Jul 30 2013, 09:19 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Simply bringing up the rape isn't a bait...if that was the case no one would be able to talk about any history on this show...Sami's rape of Austin is brought up on occasion still, so is Sami's death row and Lucas' involvement, or Rafe trying to steal Sami's kids, or go back further and we were all discussing just a few months ago how John's behavior was totally OOC and not true to history and examples were made as to why people thought that way. I understand that this board doesn't want to get into the back and forth discussion about the rape, because it leads absolutely no where, but let's face it...if you think it wasn't rape, no one is going to change and the same goes for those of us who thought it was rape. But regardless of our personal opinions on the matter, the show treated it as rape and called it rape, everyone from the producers to the writers to the actors and characters were saying the word for over a year and a half after it happened. It was what it was.....and it was very, very poorly handled by the show but simply bringing it up isn't a bait...because the show called it that, and as late as 2010 it was again brought up by the show in dialogue...
Yes but if you're going to talk about the show bringing it up you have to consider when it was brought up between Ejami before they had sex that may. It was made apparent in the dialogue that EJ wasn't rough or had physically hurt Sami in any way and that EJ's actions AFTER and not during the incident was what had hurt Sami the most.

I try to live by the rule that regardless of what I think about an incident...I take the characters POV of the situation and move on. I find that I enjoy the show much more that way.
Which characters POV are you taking?

Have you considered that there are various other characters on the show who probably share the views of other posters on the board.

The characters to whom it happened.

For example....

Sami was able to move past Lucas putting her on death row a long time before I was.

Austin always seems to forgive and forget with Sami when IMO he shouldn't.

As a mother if Nicole had stolen my child...she'd still be languishing in prision if I had anything to do with it.

Marlena/Bope got over the John/Gina thing easier than I would have.

But as these were the characters that the events happened too I had to accept their view on the events if I was going to be able to enjoy the show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

What about Sami's view that EJ had her raped multiple times? And the fact that it not only was never delt with, she is now rewarding him for it?

mollymay

TreasureCove
Jul 30 2013, 10:35 PM
What about Sami's view that EJ had her raped multiple times? And the fact that it not only was never delt with, she is now rewarding him for it?
You wouldn't be trying to bait me now would you?? B-)

As I said before as Sami herself has been able to forgive EJ for the rape and move past it to finally admit and rejoice in the love she has for him. It would be kind of redundant and silly for me to go on bitching and moaning about something the show clearly has put behind it.

Since the rape happened to Sami...I take my cues from the character of Sami on how to feel about it. It is just a tv show after all.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

I am not trying to bait you. I am honestly offended by rape being depicted as not only okay, but actually romantic.

If the people on the show started calling Abe, Theo and Cam the N-word, I would be angry, even if those three characters were just fine with it. And I wouldn't get over it because it's just a show.

concerned
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Jul 30 2013, 10:50 PM
I am not trying to bait you. I am honestly offended by rape being depicted as not only okay, but actually romantic.

If the people on the show started calling Abe, Theo and Cam the N-word, I would be angry, even if those three characters were just fine with it. And I wouldn't get over it because it's just a show.
I like your Theo Abe and Cameron point.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

TreasureCove

ditto here. I, personally, cannot understand how EJ, after having shot John & running away from the cops, raping Sami, who was desperate for someone's help because Lucas was trapped, could ever be seen as romantic. As i recall, EJ forced Sami to help him get past the police road blocks and have sex with him before he would help free Lucas. Sami agreeing to the conditions in no way makes what EJ did to her right or justifiable.
(and for anyone who may not have watched back then, the storyline/scenes I'm referring to occurred post-Christmas 2006)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mollymay

TreasureCove

As I said in another post somewhere...rape is in now way treated correctly on any soap opera. It is far too often than not treated as foreplay as the heinous crime that it is.

And really...while the N word is as offensive to me as you...it is said repeatedly on many shows within the context of the storyline. If they start a racism storyline on Days in the future...I guarantee you will hear it no matter how tasteless and offensive it is.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

mollymay
Jul 30 2013, 11:03 PM
TreasureCove

As I said in another post somewhere...rape is in now way treated correctly on any soap opera. It is far too often than not treated as foreplay as the heinous crime that it is.

And really...while the N word is as offensive to me as you...it is said repeatedly on many shows within the context of the storyline. If they start a racism storyline on Days in the future...I guarantee you will hear it no matter how tasteless and offensive it is.

Days was actually ground breaking in being one of, if not the first, to treat rape as the serious crime that it is.

I am not talking about the n-word being used in a racism storyline, I'm referring to it being used like the rapes are, as no big deal.

Such as Abe's employees casually calling him "boy" to his face, instead of "Sir" and everyone being just fine with it, or even finding it funny.

Or the school bus driver chiding Theo for sitting at the front of the bus beside Ciara, and all the children laughing as he simply looks confused for a second, then skips happily to the back of the bus.

jwsel
Member Avatar

thepadange
Jul 30 2013, 05:34 AM
JJ fumes as Theresa shamelessly flirts with Nick, mistakenly believing he's a wealthy stock broker.
I really hope the show explains that Shane and Kim cut off Jeannie Theresa's trust fund/allowance and she needs money short-term for drugs. If they make it out that she is looking long-term to marry a rich man, it will really annoy me.

I am so sick of the way the show has to make young female character's main focus in life being all about latching onto a man. If there was ever a young, female character from a legacy family that should have had no reason to chase after a guy for his money, it would have been Jeannie Donovan. Shane was ridiculously wealthy. He was supposedly worth $10 million when he "died" in 1989, and that was before the stock market boom of the 90s. He must be worth far more than that now. So unless Shane disowned Jeannie completely -- and given what he let Eve get away with, I can't see that happening -- why would Jeannie be desperate to marry someone rich? (And what about Kim? Wouldn't she have gotten a lot in the divorce from film producer Phillip Collier? His films had supposedly made millions.)

I don't mind Jeannie Theresa being troubled and a bad seed. I wouldn't even mind her flirting with Nick. But I would rather just have a female, twenty-something character who is confident about her sexuality and finds it fun to tease the nerdy guy than a young woman who thinks her only purpose in life is to find a man.

S loves EJ

Supergirlx2
Jul 30 2013, 10:58 PM
TreasureCove

ditto here. I, personally, cannot understand how EJ, after having shot John & running away from the cops, raping Sami, who was desperate for someone's help because Lucas was trapped, could ever be seen as romantic. As i recall, EJ forced Sami to help him get past the police road blocks and have sex with him before he would help free Lucas. Sami agreeing to the conditions in no way makes what EJ did to her right or justifiable.
(and for anyone who may not have watched back then, the storyline/scenes I'm referring to occurred post-Christmas 2006)

An other Ejami said somewhere that he/she enjoys the scene that is currently on screen, and I then realized that it exactly what I do too. When EJ organized the romantic dinner for Sami then I saw him as being romantic, but when he does something bad then I see it as him being bad. I also donīt think of the past when Iīm watching new scens I focuse on what itīs currently on screen. I did have a problem with Ejamiīs history for a while between watching and was conflicted about and wonder whether it would change my mind about Ejami but it didnīt. Anyway I see what happend between Ejami as rape but also as a writing mistake so I wonīt let it stand in their way.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I have run out of words, emoticons, and meme's.............and still the war rages....

Honeybees
Member Avatar

jwsel
Jul 30 2013, 11:35 PM
thepadange
JJ fumes as Theresa shamelessly flirts with Nick, mistakenly believing he's a wealthy stock broker.
I really hope the show explains that Shane and Kim cut off Jeannie Theresa's trust fund/allowance and she needs money short-term for drugs. If they make it out that she is looking long-term to marry a rich man, it will really annoy me.

I am so sick of the way the show has to make young female character's main focus in life being all about latching onto a man. If there was ever a young, female character from a legacy family that should have had no reason to chase after a guy for his money, it would have been Jeannie Donovan. Shane was ridiculously wealthy. He was supposedly worth $10 million when he "died" in 1989, and that was before the stock market boom of the 90s. He must be worth far more than that now. So unless Shane disowned Jeannie completely -- and given what he let Eve get away with, I can't see that happening -- why would Jeannie be desperate to marry someone rich? (And what about Kim? Wouldn't she have gotten a lot in the divorce from film producer Phillip Collier? His films had supposedly made millions.)

I don't mind Jeannie Theresa being troubled and a bad seed. I wouldn't even mind her flirting with Nick. But I would rather just have a female, twenty-something character who is confident about her sexuality and finds it fun to tease the nerdy guy than a young woman who thinks her only purpose in life is to find a man.
I cosign this.

I'll also point out that the daughter of Jack Deveraux and Jennifer Horton is wholly defined by the men she wants or doesn't want and has no life outside her own love life/sacred virginity or creepily obsessing with her mother's love life. It's a damn shame.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Jul 31 2013, 11:41 AM
jwsel
thepadange

I cosign this.

I'll also point out that the daughter of Jack Deveraux and Jennifer Horton is wholly defined by the men she wants or doesn't want and has no life outside her own love life/sacred virginity or creepily obsessing with her mother's love life. It's a damn shame.
And it's not just Abby and Jeannie Theresa. Look at the storylines for Gabi, Nicole, Melanie, and Chloe over the last three years. Virtually every storyline has centered on finding or keeping a man or on being a mother.

When the show wonders why it can't connect with the core demographic, maybe it should look at its young women. I watched an episode of Pretty Little Liars last night that my friend wrote. Those young women have relationships, but they also have family issues, school problems, career ambitions, conflicts with friends, and the big plot conflicts. I don't see why Days can't write its young women with more dimensions and aspirations.

S loves EJ

ladyofthelake
Jul 31 2013, 11:31 AM
I have run out of words, emoticons, and meme's.............and still the war rages....

I personally donīt want to continue discussing the rape since I can see now that it is pointless, and that itīs not gonna change anyone mind and just disturbs the board. I just wanted to explain that I donīt find the rape scene romantic, but that donīt stops EJ/Ejami from being able to be romantic in other scenes IMO.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

jwsel
Jul 31 2013, 12:05 PM
Honeybees
jwsel
thepadange

I cosign this.

And it's not just Abby and Jeannie Theresa. Look at the storylines for Gabi, Nicole, Melanie, and Chloe over the last three years. Virtually every storyline has centered on finding or keeping a man or on being a mother.

When the show wonders why it can't connect with the core demographic, maybe it should look at its young women. I watched an episode of Pretty Little Liars last night that my friend wrote. Those young women have relationships, but they also have family issues, school problems, career ambitions, conflicts with friends, and the big plot conflicts. I don't see why Days can't write its young women with more dimensions and aspirations.
Oh, Abby and Gabi got to be career women! They got to be models, and let's face it, it's the dream of every female to be a model, right? Right? Because we all know that being pretty is the ultimate for women. But they aren't modeling anymore.

At least Gabi is still going to college. I don't know what Abby does all day because singing Daniel's praises. I suppose she's still in school too, but I'm not sure.

Sonny and Chad have a career. I think Will is supposed to still be in school, but he did work for EJ and was seen enjoying the political shenanigans. I actually hoped they would keep Will as interested in politics because frankly, the son of Sami Brady would be a good "fixer" as far as I'm concerned. Seemed a natural fit for Will.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

S loves EJ
Jul 31 2013, 12:07 PM
ladyofthelake
Jul 31 2013, 11:31 AM

I personally donīt want to continue discussing the rape since I can see now that it is pointless, and that itīs not gonna change anyone mind and just disturbs the board. I just wanted to explain that I donīt find the rape scene romantic, but that donīt stops EJ/Ejami from being able to be romantic in other scenes IMO.
Let's see...........
AR, Carumba!
Oy, veh.
Gott in Himmel
Posted Image
:headbang:

Yeah, maybe that'll do it. The thing is, why keep re-arguing it ad naseum? (I love that term ad naseum, especially the last word). It's not just you. It's that one person makes a point, then the other one argues, and the other one re-argues, and then the other has to make themselves right, then the other one has a comeback, and on and on and on and on.........................and it never gets resolved and no one wants to admit it.
Rant over.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

jwsel
Honeybees
jwsel
thepadange

I cosign this.

I agree completely with this.

Jennifer was once an award-winning reporter who would go after stories, regardless of what was happening in her love life.

Chloe was valedictorian of her class AND an opera singer. All they could write for a beautiful, intellagent, woman with a talent uniqe to Salem, was her desperate need for a man. Really? Thats all they could find. That's it. I can think of 20 stories right now. For example:

Chloe, not only a singer of opera, but also a teacher as well, discovers that one of her students is being pushed too hard by her/his parents, it's reaching an abusive level, but the student is afraid to admit it. Chloe has no real proof, so she's genuinely worried that her student is in danger of the parents going too far, or the horrible possibilty of her student becoming suicidal because of the situation.

Boom, a dramatic story for a woman that's organic because it revolves around her natural talent and puts her in a beliveable position of a music teacher working one-on-one with a student, so she's in a position to observe things that aren't so apparent to outsiders.

Dee-anne

TreasureCove
Jul 31 2013, 12:36 PM
jwsel
Honeybees
jwsel

I cosign this.

I agree completely with this.

Jennifer was once an award-winning reporter who would go after stories, regardless of what was happening in her love life.

Chloe was valedictorian of her class AND an opera singer. All they could write for a beautiful, intellagent, woman with a talent uniqe to Salem, was her desperate need for a man. Really? Thats all they could find. That's it. I can think of 20 stories right now. For example:

Chloe, not only a singer of opera, but also a teacher as well, discovers that one of her students is being pushed too hard by her/his parents, it's reaching an abusive level, but the student is afraid to admit it. Chloe has no real proof, so she's genuinely worried that her student is in danger of the parents going too far, or the horrible possibilty of her student becoming suicidal because of the situation.

Boom, a dramatic story for a woman that's organic because it revolves around her natural talent and puts her in a beliveable position of a music teacher working one-on-one with a student, so she's in a position to observe things that aren't so apparent to outsiders.

I agree. A lot of the ideas you suggested are positive ones, and one of the problem I find with the stories that they are giving us, is that the majority of it is so negative, and repetitive. There has to be a balance. Too much of one thing is boring. Too many people behaving badly is just as boring as having too many people as good.

With the Kristen, Brady, Marlena, John story, all we got out of it was Brady and John turned into idiots, and a long time marriage was destroyed for no sensible reason. Then John disappears, and Kristen moves onto her next story which is to rape Eric, and Brady who we thought finally got his brain back became stupid again and takes her back. They write him as if he does not care about Marlena and his Dad or anyone else all he cares about is his needs and he wants Kristen, so it is ok for him to forgive Kristen and go back with her, but yet, not forgive his dad and don't seem to care that this is a person that is out to hurt Marlena.

There were/are constant fights, whether verbal or physical between Kristen and Sami, Kristen Nicole, Kristen Marlena, Kristen and John etc. You get verbal back and forth , but nothing positive really comes from them. For example, we have had individuals telling Sami nothing but truth about her behaviour and the stupid decisions she makes but, nothing really changes. There is no reflection on what people said, she just continues being her obnoxious self.

EJ, Sami, Will, Sonny were busy breaking & entering, stealing, lying, covering, until finally Sami killed someone, and its then the veterans like Justin who we hardly see comes out of the woodwork, to be discussing Sami, and how they may help her or not.

Then we have all that you said about the portrayal of the young females on the show. Nicole is also being portrayed as if she is all about latching on to a man. Not long after being so madly in love with Daniel, Her main story became all about being in love with a man that cannot love her back, so they have her having sex with Brady who was on the rebound, and was willing to go back for seconds after once again having another argument with Eric the guy who cant love her back in the way that she wants, but at least they show her working, that I suppose is one positive. Sami is another one that can't seem to live without a man. Typical example is her sudden decision to be with EJ not long after breaking up with Rafe.

Nick told us a horrible story of what happened to him in prison, and we are not shown him receiving any help, so I am guessing they will probably have Nick doing something bad again.

JJ sells drugs, hates Daniel, steals and lies a lot.

Anne hates Jennifer and will do anything within her power to cause her trouble, That is Anne's main purpose on the show.

Theresa is a drug addict, hates Jennifer and is also lies to get what she wants.

While I have been typing this, I am trying to think of anything positive like any story with a positive ending. Even though it was great that Will got his baby, which Nick had no right to anyway, I would have liked it more if after that emotional scene with Nick and Gabi as he told his story, that in the end we actually saw him getting some help, and the old Nick comes back over time.

I do like the way they write Eric most of the time. I like the way they are writing Nicole, but I really don't want to see her having sex with anyone else unless it is someone who loves her just as much as she loves them. I would also say, give her a proper and interesting story, and something meaningful to do, but I don't think anyone has one. Not even EJ and Sami or Daniel and Jennifer, or Kristen. These are the people they love writing for and having everyone else on canvass as supporting the story they are in. I have said before, the performances may be good on a given day, and the dialogue may be good at times, but the stories are disappointing. ( IMO)

It makes it worst for me when they keep featuring individuals I don't want to see.

I guess Will and Sonny are apositive story, but I don't like the way they write them sometimes. And this story with Theresa on drugs, makes you wonder if they are going anywhere with it. Is she going to start acting as an addict, and then a redemption story for her, or are they just have her taking drugs while they need her to and then suddenly she is cured. I don't see Daniel and Jennifer as positive because they should not be together, no chemistry, too boring and the constant breaking up and getting back together is annoying. I see nothing positive in the pairing of EJ and Sami, not even for entertainment purposes, and the story of EJ taking over his father's business was lame. I am really hoping that Stefano comes back with a vengeance and that they write it well and let us see it happening, and not have a phone call and Stefano is back. That is if they plan to have him back.
Edited by Dee-anne, Jul 31 2013, 04:13 PM.

concerned
Member Avatar

jwsel
Honeybees
jwsel
thepadange

I cosign this.

Nicole had family issues. Not what you meant right.

jwsel
Member Avatar

concerned
Jul 31 2013, 04:33 PM
jwsel
Honeybees
jwsel

I cosign this.

Nicole had family issues. Not what you meant right.
Nicole's family issues have barely been touched on in the past few years (except for the brief triangle with Taylor, but that was over a man). She went from a character with some dimension to this character who is defined by whichever man she is sleeping with/chasing at the moment. The same with Chloe, who was smart and had aspirations to be an opera singer.

When I look at the women in the supercouples, as much as they were associated with their male counterpart, each had a career that played a major role in defining who she was as a person. Marlena was a psychiatrist and that gave her insight and understanding about things that others overlooked. Hope was a cop/PI, so she was tougher than her outer appearance and had a need to prove she was more than the rich girl she was perceived to be. Kim was a former prostitute turned counselor, the ultimate survivor, who had lived a life of secrets and wanted to help others avoid the same pain she endured. Kayla was a nurse, who always wanted to help cure the sick and fix anyone who needed her help -- even when they claimed they didn't want it. Jennifer was a reporter who was always trying to get to the truth, even when it put her in harm's way. Those jobs weren't just random things the characters did; they reflected the characters' natures and they provided tremendous fodder for storylines over the years.

Many of the best relationship plots grew out of things from characters' jobs. Lawrence Alamain and Alamainia came from Jennifer wanting to do a story on a missing heiress. A lot of Steve and Kayla storylines grew out of the Emergency Center. Hope being a cop put her in the middle of the third prism and the cartel storylines. Their relationships were still front-and-center during all of those storylines, but the characters did not seem to exist solely to chase their men. It seemed like they might actually have a life without a man, as shocking as that might seem.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply