Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty interview with Jen Lilley
Topic Started: Jul 26 2013, 02:16 PM (2,396 Views)
annie21

Another great interview. Sounds like JL was impressed with the questions and was willing to give solid, meaty answers.

I can understand that Jeannie/Theresa would have "daddy" issues. But I hope they don't end up painting Shane as some sort of parental villain. Yes, he was gone on assignment a lot as a spy, but there were a lot of layers to that situation. Often, his absences or separation from his family were in part brought about by lies and misunderstandings. As jwsel pointed out so well, Kimberly often hid the truth from Shane (yes, usually to protect him or in order not to confess to her own actions). She constantly pushed him away. Theirs was a passionate and tumultuous relationship, but they also had plenty of nice family moments.

As for Shane and Kimberly's history, I would hope that JL would explore who her parents were at work. For example, Kimberly's work as a counselor. I'm thinking in particular of when she helped a young Adrienne after she'd been raped by her father. Also, the undercover work Shane and Kimberly did together to investigate bad guys like Victor, the Riverfront Knifer (Harper), and Lawrence Alamain.

Lastly, she might want to check out episodes near the holidays to get a sense of the Brady family interactions with each other and with Shane.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jwsel
Member Avatar

annie21
Jul 27 2013, 08:29 AM
I can understand that Jeannie/Theresa would have "daddy" issues. But I hope they don't end up painting Shane as some sort of parental villain. Yes, he was gone on assignment a lot as a spy, but there were a lot of layers to that situation. Often, his absences or separation from his family were in part brought about by lies and misunderstandings. As jwsel pointed out so well, Kimberly often hid the truth from Shane (yes, usually to protect him or in order not to confess to her own actions). She constantly pushed him away. Theirs was a passionate and tumultuous relationship, but they also had plenty of nice family moments.
I think you make a great point. Shane seems to get portrayed a bit as a villain in some of the discussions I've seen about the Shane/Kim relationship and I feel he sometimes get unfairly maligned. He certainly was not a saint; he could be arrogant and his way of dealing with emotional pain by shutting down and acting cold was infuriating. But at the same time, he endured a lot during his time in Salem. And even though a lot of Kim's issues can be linked to her past abuse and some might say to her later mental illness, the relationship was a roller coaster.

The one thing that I have issues with is any suggestion that Shane was not a loving, caring father. I just can't see that. Just look at how he was with Eve and Andrew. With Eve, he harbored immense guilt at missing her childhood and, as a result, probably overindulged her. But he showed that he would do absolutely anything for her. He risked his life multiple times to save her, lied on the stand during her trial for Nick's murder, and made it pretty clear to Kim that he would not turn away his daughter despite the trouble she was creating for their relationship. Some of Shane's scenes with Andrew also show how much he loved his kids. This clip has some scenes with Andrew, leading to where Andrew moves to LA to live with Kim (the Andrew scenes start around 2:20):

I always felt that Shane's relationship with Jeannie would be fascinating to explore, because unlike Andrew and Eve, Jeannie would not have experienced the periods between missions when Shane was home. I imagine their relationship would be filled with great intentions, but lost opportunities. Shane would undoubtedly have sent her expensive birthday and Christmas gifts and made sure she went to the finest schools, because he would spare no expense in taking care of her. He also would have made a lot of plans to see her, but some of them invariably would have been interrupted by ISA emergencies. And perception would play a major role. How does a child really process that Daddy isn't around because he is busy saving the world? In one fic, I wrote a scene where Jeannie is excited that Shane can come to see her big soccer game because he is in Los Angeles as part of an ISA operation. But during the game, he gets called away because the operation has to be moved up. The operation is a huge success, thwarts a terrorist attack, and saves a lot of lives. And at some level, Jeannie understands that. Yet at another level, she is still a kid who resents that her dad couldn't even be there for her big game.

So for Jeannie Theresa on the show, I hope they play it like that -- that Shane made choices that made Jeannie feel like she was not a priority. For instance, given the age they have made Jeannie, it would be perfect if she complains about Shane missing her college graduation. Someone could points out that that it wasn't really Shane's fault, because he was being tortured in a South American prison at the time. It won't really change her opinion, because in her mind Shane shouldn't have been in South America in the first place or he should have been letting someone else's father play hero for once. However, it reflects the complexity of the situation and doesn't ask us to accept the notion that Shane just ignored Jeannie, which isn't true to his character.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply