Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DOOL Stars on Top Chef: Masters; Updated with Video Clip on p2
Topic Started: Jul 31 2013, 10:02 PM (3,743 Views)
jwsel
Member Avatar

px780
Aug 9 2013, 01:00 AM
That was fun. A bit strange that Hope wasn't there flashing jewelry and whatnot, especially since the character got a shout out. Also- quite a bit of Datillo, all things considered. As far as promotional opportunities go, I feel like they made some odd choices.

I don't know where the comment came about the Days cast being shocked by the egg in the pasta, either.

The nice thing about the comment about unsophisticated palates was that one judge shot it down, the judge owned up to intentionally using a lot of spice, and another contestant said it was too strong. So, he kinda got shot down, imho.

Nice to see the Days crew out and about, though.
I'm pretty sure that it was one of the judges at the judging portion who told the bottom three that the Days cast had not seen the egg in the raviolo dish before.

This is from Gail Simmons' blog on the Bravo website:

Quote:

Bravotv.com: Doug made a comment a judgesí table questioning the guestsí palates and he thought he was cooking for people who had more refined palates. Did that surprise you?
GS: Yeah. I know what heís saying, and itís hard to judge and itís hard for him to hear criticism, but I think what he was referring to was that, part of the reason that they all didnít like Odetteís dish was that they didnít get the egg yolk, and it wasnít appealing. But thatís the whole point of the dish. Thatís where the subtlety and elegance of that dish really comes in. When he heard that that was the reason she was on the bottom, I think Doug sort of decided itís that they donít get it. They donít get it because itís a very sophisticated dish, a very well-known dish at that level. But she went home for it clearly, if they could appreciate that. Everyone has to cook, everyone has to enjoy their food. You canít cook cerebrally. You have to cook for an emotional response from people, and if theyíre not responding, it could be because you donít think they understand it, itís up to you to make it good for them. Itís not up to them to rise to your intellectual challenge.

The exact wording may have been that the cast didn't get or understand the egg yolk, but that would indicate a lack of familiarity with the dish. It is designed so that when you cut into the raviolo, the yolk oozes out and adds its richness to the sauce. (It's similar to how the yolk from a poached egg adds to the dressing of a frisee salad.)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

I don't understand that whole discussion. I mean, these people are celebrities. Some, like Deidre, Drake and Peggy, have been in the business for, like, ever. Lol. Yet they make it sound like these people spend their lives at In n' Out Burger. I'm sure they're often eating at upscale establishments!

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Frankly it reminds me of when I took a graduate course with "artists" who lived so far up their own asses all they could do was spew bullshit like that about how people just don't understand their work. Or people who act like primetime dramas are automatically better than silly little daytime soaps, which I think may play into that conversation a bit because you'd better believe that wouldn't be part of the discussion (not in the same way) if they were cooking for, say, the cast of "Game of Thrones."

It's just...casual arrogance. I take it as developing when people don't feel like the outside world validates them enough, therefore they have to validate themselves constantly, or create this whole separate world that lives above everyone else. At least Gail sort of gets it, in a way. Though I'd argue there really is no relevance to this whole "more refined palates would get it" concept. I'm a populist that way.

That kind of comment really bugs me, apparently. I must be having flashbacks.
Edited by px780, Aug 9 2013, 06:22 PM.

Ellie

^^ Exactly!! GREAT point about soaps vs. primetime, and also, it's such an easy cop-out to say that their dishes would have gone over better for a different audience. Right, the dream audience in their minds who would automatically like their dish as a favorite. The art of being a chef is to please OTHER PEOPLE. If you don't do that, you haven't succeeded. That's the whole point of the show.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Aug 8 2013, 10:55 PM
This is the part where the Days stars were on. There was soap discussion in the rest of the episode as well; some of the "I know Bo and Hope" comments were in other segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VozYJc2qqJE
Thanks for posting the clip. I loved seeing that. Don't know if I could have eaten any of that food,but .......loved seeing the actors as themselves!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply