Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD interviews Ken Corday in new issue
Topic Started: Aug 1 2013, 01:43 PM (14,004 Views)
Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

blueskies
Aug 4 2013, 12:26 AM
Supergirlx2
Aug 4 2013, 12:22 AM
LuvingLumi
Aug 3 2013, 11:43 PM
King
Aug 3 2013, 12:15 PM
DAYS really needs to do something really big.

No Will, No Bo, No John, No Kristen.

This is scary.
Days needs to do a murder mystery again....well written though, with twists and turns unexpected. They should also do something like a big fire takes out half the town (everything is so close together), or a huge fire burns down the Dimansion.
with Sami inside???
If that's what we want I propose they burn down the jail instead. Locked in means much less chance she'd get out ;)
works for me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Rosebud
Aug 3 2013, 03:13 PM
He's owner of the show, and gives himself the title of executive producer, yet he can't make the writers do what he wants? I personally think he doesn't care and is never around.
Networks (in this case, NBC) oversee and have approval for who is hired as Executive Producers. Ken Corday didn't "give himself" the title. It had to be okayed by NBC. NBC was very hesitant to let Betty Corday take over the show when Ted Corday died in 1966. They did not want a woman running the show, and they only let her do it on a trial basis for 13 weeks until she began to prove herself.

You'll notice from time-to-time that people (creators/executive producers) are fired from their own shows. Dan Harmon was fired from Community (and hired back to finish out the show's final season this year). The EPs at Smash were fired after the first season. Those are just a few that come to mind in recent years (and both done by NBC).
Edited by Jason47, Aug 4 2013, 01:32 AM.
Online Profile Goto Top

LovinXtina
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Aug 4 2013, 12:44 AM
blueskies
Supergirlx2
LuvingLumi
Aug 3 2013, 11:43 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
with Sami inside???
If that's what we want I propose they burn down the jail instead. Locked in means much less chance she'd get out ;)
works for me.
If this were too happen, knowing the writers Sami would be presumed dead and brought back later lol.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Graceland
Member Avatar

Can someone explain the story behind this writing team again? Weren't they fired and then rehired? Can another give a rundown as to who was in charge since 2010 when it came to writing and producing. I'm trying to find it, but it's a bit confusing. I love this current team.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

DS1126
Aug 4 2013, 01:32 AM
Supergirlx2
blueskies
Supergirlx2

works for me.
If this were too happen, knowing the writers Sami would be presumed dead and brought back later lol.
that's ok. as long as Sami's "presumed dead" status resulted in a few Sami-free months, i'd be satisfied.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

Graceland
Aug 4 2013, 01:33 AM
Can someone explain the story behind this writing team again? Weren't they fired and then rehired? Can another give a rundown as to who was in charge since 2010 when it came to writing and producing. I'm trying to find it, but it's a bit confusing. I love this current team.
Tomlin used to be one of the EPs. He was fired around the time Higley was fired. Meng replaced Tomlin as an EP, and MarDar replaced Higley as HWs. Not even a year later, MarDar were fired and Tomline was rehired, this time as a HW, and Whitesell was hired as his co-HW. there are more people that were fired/promoted/demoted/hired, but that's the basic chain of changes that pertain to what you're asking.
there's all sorts of rumors why people were fired/rehired. Tomlin's firing is most commonly attributed to his apparent dislike of Peter & Kristian and his undying support for CC. According to one version, Tomlin's firing was a casualty of his being on CC's "team" in the "BTS battle" between the 3 actors. there are rumors that MarDar were fired because they wanted to write their own stories, and not the stories NBC wanted them to tell, so Tomlin was hired because he & Bruce Evans are friends/work well together/etc. and so Tomlin would write whatever he was told to write. Thus Tomlin is basically NBC's puppet. some people will say that MarDar were fired because of the poor ratings, but TomSell got similarly low ratings for a time, and there have been weeks during their regime where "compared to last year (aka MarDar's stories)" was better than this year, and yet they didn't get fired. that leads to another rumor that claims that TomSell aren't really the HWs any more, they're just basically "pretty faces" and that it's Lorraine Broderick that's doing the actual HW-ing.
i'm sure someone else will respond to you with a differing theory. it's all pretty much speculation.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Aug 4 2013, 01:41 AM
DS1126
Aug 4 2013, 01:32 AM
Supergirlx2
blueskies

works for me.
that's ok. as long as Sami's "presumed dead" status resulted in a few Sami-free months, i'd be satisfied.
I doubt it. Rafe was in a coma for a few months and during that time we got everyone waxing poetic about him. I have no doubt that we'll get the same with Sami AND some flashbacks. I'd be fine with it but for others, monkey's paw is alive and well.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Rosebud
Member Avatar

I have no respect for these writers who cater to their favorites and let other characters they despise be destroyed and disappeared. It's lazy and mean. How am I suppose to believe that John would be just gone from everything that means anything to him anymore? That he would just leave Marlena alone to fight against the DiMera's alone? That he would simply disappear from his whole life? From all that he knows and cares about? Righhhht.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Rosebud
Member Avatar

Jason47
Aug 4 2013, 01:26 AM
Rosebud
Aug 3 2013, 03:13 PM
He's owner of the show, and gives himself the title of executive producer, yet he can't make the writers do what he wants? I personally think he doesn't care and is never around.
Networks (in this case, NBC) oversee and have approval for who is hired as Executive Producers. Ken Corday didn't "give himself" the title. It had to be okayed by NBC. NBC was very hesitant to let Betty Corday take over the show when Ted Corday died in 1966. They did not want a woman running the show, and they only let her do it on a trial basis for 13 weeks until she began to prove herself.

You'll notice from time-to-time that people (creators/executive producers) are fired from their own shows. Dan Harmon was fired from Community (and hired back to finish out the show's final season this year). The EPs at Smash were fired after the first season. Those are just a few that come to mind in recent years (and both done by NBC).
Thanks for the info.

Makes me wonder then why Corday unlike other exec. producers at DOOL has never been fired....
Offline Profile Goto Top

Serenity 808

Sami being shown more and being mentioned in the same breath as Hope and Jennifer is definitely off-putting, and I actually like Sami/AS. They did well with Sami after the reboot by showing her a little less (despite the episode count, she didn't usually dominate them like she did in the past), but after putting her front and center with the Bernardi shooting, I think there's too much of her now as it is.

I do like that Corday wants Hope seen more, and I wouldn't even be bothered if we continued to see a lot of Jennifer, as she's so much more tolerable lately without Daniel.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ShaneDOOLFan

I have no doubt that Brodderick has a HUGE role in the material we are seeing on our screens.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jane083

I think it is so very sad that apparently neither Corday nor his precious writers have a clue of the gold mine of actors they have sitting on the bench.

The majority of a soap opera audience loves the DRAMA. Good drama.
Do they realize what an outstanding actress they have in Deidre Hall? She can act circles around the others. How about giving her a cancer scare? Bring John back to support the ONLY woman he has ever loved

Do we REALLY need to see another 'Sami Going to Jail" storyline?? It had ran its course decades ago.

The dramatic scenes between Sami and Will last year when he had witnessed her betrayal of her wedding vows was excellent writing. But once again they just brushed it all under the rug.

How about some dramatic Hope story with her searching for a lost husband? It makes no sense what is going on with them right now.

I just think they could do so much better with what they have and I sure hope they try because I am so losing interest.
Offline Profile Goto Top

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

The "Breast cancer for Marlena" storyline would & could be amazing. Finally John & Marlena are battling something that Stefano didn't start...it could force Sami to grow up (PLEASE!!!!!!!), give the opportunity to bring Belle and Shawn back which could also address the "Where's Bo?" situation... Unfortunately...we're stuck with Tomlin & his idea of what & whom we want to see. Hint, Tomlin! Not who you've been shoving down our throats for MONTHS!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Aug 4 2013, 07:32 PM
The "Breast cancer for Marlena" storyline would & could be amazing. Finally John & Marlena are battling something that Stefano didn't start...it could force Sami to grow up (PLEASE!!!!!!!), give the opportunity to bring Belle and Shawn back which could also address the "Where's Bo?" situation... Unfortunately...we're stuck with Tomlin & his idea of what & whom we want to see. Hint, Tomlin! Not who you've been shoving down our throats for MONTHS!!!
that actually would be a pretty decent storyline, if, and that's a big *if* they played it right.

off topic but i just remembered Johnny only has one eye b/c of cancer....i always forget that. Then again I'm fairly certain the show has too.
Online Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

Jane083
Aug 4 2013, 07:16 PM
How about some dramatic Hope story with her searching for a lost husband? It makes no sense what is going on with them right now.
i don't think there's one person on this board who would disagree with you that there needs to be some sort of resolution to the whole Bo situation.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jane083
Aug 4 2013, 07:16 PM
I think it is so very sad that apparently neither Corday nor his precious writers have a clue of the gold mine of actors they have sitting on the bench.

The majority of a soap opera audience loves the DRAMA. Good drama.
Do they realize what an outstanding actress they have in Deidre Hall? She can act circles around the others. How about giving her a cancer scare? Bring John back to support the ONLY woman he has ever loved

Do we REALLY need to see another 'Sami Going to Jail" storyline?? It had ran its course decades ago.

The dramatic scenes between Sami and Will last year when he had witnessed her betrayal of her wedding vows was excellent writing. But once again they just brushed it all under the rug.

I just think they could do so much better with what they have and I sure hope they try because I am so losing interest.
I agree with all of that, except.....I think some Isabelle fans would disagree with Marlena being the ONLY woman he loved. ;) But I totally agree with your post otherwise. It could give Drake something meaty and maybe bring back the actor he was. He does NOT want to go through the whole cancer thing with another woman who means so much to him. He's been through it before, and the thought of losing someone else terrifies him. That would work.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Aug 5 2013, 07:29 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

I really hope Days never tries to do a cancer story again.

Actually, what happened to that story where Sami had a cancer scare? I remember safe praying with Lexie, but not the resolution.
Offline Profile Goto Top

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

I think if they took some time and did it right - get someone with enough medical knowledge to make it real, bring in some breast-cancer survivors (male and female) for a support group for Marlena, Sami, etc, and do some PSA's during October (Breast cancer awareness month), they could really do something good for a change and reach out to women who don't know what to look for or where to turn. But it seems Corday, Tomlin & the executives would rather show us...whatever the hell it is they're airing right now - fluff? Drivel? Pick a word or add your own, whatever it's called, it's barely interesting and hardly worth watching.
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

six
Aug 5 2013, 07:43 AM
I really hope Days never tries to do a cancer story again.

Actually, what happened to that story where Sami had a cancer scare? I remember safe praying with Lexie, but not the resolution.
I think it just turned out she didnt have it. That was all the resolution, lol. Except I think I remember Lexie saying Sami should get checked more often b/c of the scare, that was really it though.
Online Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Aug 5 2013, 07:50 AM
I think if they took some time and did it right - get someone with enough medical knowledge to make it real, bring in some breast-cancer survivors (male and female) for a support group for Marlena, Sami, etc, and do some PSA's during October (Breast cancer awareness month), they could really do something good for a change and reach out to women who don't know what to look for or where to turn. But it seems Corday, Tomlin & the executives would rather show us...whatever the hell it is they're airing right now - fluff? Drivel? Pick a word or add your own, whatever it's called, it's barely interesting and hardly worth watching.
I think the show is just fine right now, but while I agree that it could be good, if they did it right, I know from past experience that they wouldn't do it right, so I think they should just stick to what they know.

Thanks, blueskies. Yeah, that's why I think Days should stay away from that kind of thing.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic