Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soapdom interview with Chandler Massey; "At this moment, nothing is official.”
Topic Started: Aug 6 2013, 06:06 AM (3,205 Views)
scifi7
Member Avatar

Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 09:06 AM
camera shy
Aug 6 2013, 08:51 AM
Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 08:42 AM
camera shy
Aug 6 2013, 08:22 AM
Judging from that interview with ED it sounds like the ones who accomendated aren't well liked by the rest of the cast. What did she say? She didn't want to be the one hated because acommendating one actor or actress led to the others having a longer work day. Some people obviously care about the working conditions of their fellow castmates and some just care about themselves.
That's idiotic of them. Maybe they're just resentful that ONE person (AS) gets accommodated. They should be happy and encouraging of others to branch out and try new things.

The show should accommodate Chandler and let him go to school. UCLA is in the same town. How friggin' hard can it be!? I worked with a girl who has been able to go to school full time AND work 30 hours a week. Maybe Chandler can take just 3 classes a semester instead of 4 or 5. Right now it sounds like he only takes 1.
If that was the case then she would have taken Days up on their offer. And I don't know many people who wouldn't resent having a few extra hours added on to their work day if they have children to get home to. If someone has so many outside projects that are just so important to them they should just decide which is the most important and let one or the other go. And it's not just the actors or actresses who are effected and it's everyone working behind the scenes.
That could be DAYS bad scheduling. They are able to plan enough to shoot 4 months in advance. They should be able to schedule filming where overtime is NOT required constantly.
just goes to show; DOOL does not do overtime, all filming is done by 6. Ask Jason!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

scifi7
Aug 6 2013, 09:09 AM
Pookie
camera shy
Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 08:42 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
If that was the case then she would have taken Days up on their offer. And I don't know many people who wouldn't resent having a few extra hours added on to their work day if they have children to get home to. If someone has so many outside projects that are just so important to them they should just decide which is the most important and let one or the other go. And it's not just the actors or actresses who are effected and it's everyone working behind the scenes.
That could be DAYS bad scheduling. They are able to plan enough to shoot 4 months in advance. They should be able to schedule filming where overtime is NOT required constantly.
just goes to show; DOOL does not do overtime, all filming is done by 6. Ask Jason!
Then if they are all done by 6 every day, then why would the actors be resentful of other actors pursuing other opportunities? It's no skin of their noses. That sounds like petty resentment.
Edited by Pookie, Aug 6 2013, 09:14 AM.

camera shy

blueskies
Aug 6 2013, 09:01 AM
Mason
Aug 6 2013, 08:50 AM
I disagree that the show should go out of its way to accommodate CM to get him to stay. He's a decent actor (though I don't think he's quite *as* good as I see him made out to be), and he plays a core legacy character, but I really don't think losing him (either temporarily or permanently) would be as devastating to the show as is being predicted. IMO, they should let him leave now, give him some time to live the college life that he wants then see if he's interested in coming back; if not, find a recast. As popular as he is, I don't think he's impossible to successfully replace.
exactly, Days is hanging on by the skin of their teeth as it is. They obviously work around AS (and maybe others, who knows), but there's no way they have the capacity to work around everyone or even a number of people.
I think it's great the younger actors and actresses or moving on for one reason or another. Nows the time to do it when all you're responsible for is yourself. I remember Oprah saying when she was first offered her own show in Chicago she wonder if she should take the job and her manager at the time told her to think about it because she was making $100, 000 dollars a year at the time and maybe she shouldn't give that up for a unsure thing.

camera shy

Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 09:13 AM
scifi7
Pookie
camera shy

Then if they are all done by 6 every day, then why would the actors be resentful of other actors pursuing other opportunities? It's no skin of their noses. That sounds like petty resentment.
I don't think they're resentful of anyone pursing other projects, but it shouldn't effect their lives.....it shouldn't be any skin off their nose.

Pookie
Member Avatar

camera shy
Aug 6 2013, 09:18 AM
Pookie
scifi7
Pookie

I don't think they're resentful of anyone pursing other projects, but it shouldn't effect their lives.....it shouldn't be any skin off their nose.
If they are done by 6 every day, then WHAT IS THE ISSUE of accommodating Chandler so he can go to college? IN THE SAME TOWN.

scifi7
Member Avatar

Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 09:22 AM
camera shy
Pookie
scifi7

If they are done by 6 every day, then WHAT IS THE ISSUE of accommodating Chandler so he can go to college? IN THE SAME TOWN.
How do you know that this was an issue? Maybe Chandler wanted to be a full time student and thus no amount of bending by DOOL would help?

Chandler never revealed or made it appear as if DOOL was not giving him what he wanted to make him stay, in fact his previous comments were that he wanted to go no matter what.

Pookie
Member Avatar

scifi7
Aug 6 2013, 09:25 AM
Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 09:22 AM
camera shy
Pookie

How do you know that this was an issue? Maybe Chandler wanted to be a full time student and thus no amount of bending by DOOL would help?

Chandler never revealed or made it appear as if DOOL was not giving him what he wanted to make him stay, in fact his previous comments were that he wanted to go no matter what.
Possibly. But based on this recent interview, Chandler seems to be open to negotiating something.

And IF that is the case...IF Chandler is open to going to school AND staying on Days. Then the producers and Chandler should be able to work out a schedule that pleases both of them. And worrying that it might make other actors upset should NOT be a consideration. ESPECIALLY if the show always finishes by 6 every day and no one is forced to do overtime.

S loves EJ

ED obviously had a problem with the accommodations to AS but maybe it just her, if many had a problem with it I donīt think the current schedule would work for very long.

lysie
Member Avatar

I think it depends on how they do the accommodating. A couple of years ago, the way they were accommodating AS's schedule was awful. It kept her, Rafe, and EJ in a little bubble, and it felt like two different shows were airing. I remember us complaining about the way some scenes played out when Grace died and it ended up being because they had to film them separately because she wasn't there. When you're accommodating for an actor, you can't have them be the lead in a main story like that. They've been doing better about that lately though, IMO. Idk how people felt about it at the time, but to me it makes more sense to do like they did with Deidre in the 80s (though that didn't last long and apparently wasn't working well anyway). She was in the main story but it made sense for her part to be done separately. She was in a coma and then kidnapped. Either way, she wasn't supposed to be in the middle of everything happening in Salem. Working around school is about different. I doubt Chandler's classes are all after 6.

Pookie
Member Avatar

lysie
Aug 6 2013, 10:20 AM
I think it depends on how they do the accommodating. A couple of years ago, the way they were accommodating AS's schedule was awful. It kept her, Rafe, and EJ in a little bubble, and it felt like two different shows were airing. I remember us complaining about the way some scenes played out when Grace died and it ended up being because they had to film them separately because she wasn't there. When you're accommodating for an actor, you can't have them be the lead in a main story like that. They've been doing better about that lately though, IMO. Idk how people felt about it at the time, but to me it makes more sense to do like they did with Deidre in the 80s (though that didn't last long and apparently wasn't working well anyway). She was in the main story but it made sense for her part to be done separately. She was in a coma and then kidnapped. Either way, she wasn't supposed to be in the middle of everything happening in Salem. Working around school is about different. I doubt Chandler's classes are all after 6.
Quote:

Working around school is about different. I doubt Chandler's classes are all after 6.

No. But he could, say, schedule all of his classes for 2 days a week and be available to shoot 3 days a week. He could have a morning class and leave the afternoon open or vice versa. This isn't like high school where you have to be somewhere at a set time every day. College schedules are by their nature, flexible.

lysie
Member Avatar

Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 10:23 AM
lysie
Quote:

Working around school is about different. I doubt Chandler's classes are all after 6.

No. But he could, say, schedule all of his classes for 2 days a week and be available to shoot 3 days a week. He could have a morning class and leave the afternoon open or vice versa. This isn't like high school where you have to be somewhere at a set time every day. College schedules are by their nature, flexible.
I know how college schedules work but unless you're just taking core classes, they're not THAT flexible.

Pookie
Member Avatar

lysie
Aug 6 2013, 10:26 AM
Pookie
lysie
Quote:

I know how college schedules work but unless you're just taking core classes, they're not THAT flexible.
But you can agree that they are NOT 5 days a week 9 AM - 6 PM, right? We can agree that even students who don't have acting jobs manage to work in other jobs or internships AND attend school. I don't see the difference.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

six
Aug 6 2013, 07:58 AM
LanaluvsBroe
Aug 6 2013, 06:23 AM
LuvingLumi
Aug 6 2013, 06:11 AM
I think someone is back tracking a bit and I'm fine with it. Lets face it, if this show goes out if their way to accommodate Sweeney and her 7 million projects they can do the same for Chandler, although I think they shouldn't do it for ANY actor, the fact they do it for one should open up opportunities for them to do it for others.
If it means he'll stay, I'm all for the show accommodating Chandler.
That's how I feel as well. The show should do what's best for the show, including accommodating actors, if necessary. It might not be true, but I've heard that Days has lost some wonderful younger actors because they weren't willing to work with their schedule, like other soaps have, and its been to the show's detriment.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's just a fact in the business world - those companies that learn to be flexible with their employees on things like work schedule tend to have lower turnover, higher morale and better productivity. A production of a TV show is no different. To the degree they can make it work and not sacrifice show quality, Days absolutely should do what they can to accommodate the schedules of the actors they want to retain. It's just good business.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mollymay

Take it from someone who put herself through school by working full time. Its not easy to juggle everything, its damn hard. And personally I can't blame CM a bit for not wanting to solely go to nightschool. The years I did it I was constantly exhausted had had absolutely no life to speak of, it was work/school/work/school..who in their right mind would want that when there are other options.

The best thing would be if they could work out where CM goes to school 3 full days a week and works on Days 2 full days. Either that or work a schedule where CM goes to school in the am and Days in the afternoon.

Whatever happens I believe it will be CM's decision and not one based on any kind of jealousy or resentment of AS. I met CM a couple of times in Atlanta and can tell you from speaking to him face to face...he absolutely adores AS as do most of the actors I've ever met. Yes I would miss CM's will but I have learned in life that as aggravating as it is...NO ONE is irreplaceable!

six
Member Avatar

Pookie
lysie
Quote:

If he takes the summers off, he could do a lot of taping then, too. Some of the cast has mentioned filming very early in the morning, before classes would start, too.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Another case in point: Kid is going to have homework, possible research, and other college issues. Could be he might just want to EXPERIENCE the college life? You just don't experience the college existence as much in night classes. They can be overwhelming, as Molly mentioned, and working at the same time. I hope he's not being guilted into doing something he doesn't want to do.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JoeBucs32

Yeah---sounds like Chandler may stay!!!!

lysie
Member Avatar

Pookie
Aug 6 2013, 10:47 AM
lysie
Aug 6 2013, 10:26 AM
Pookie
lysie
Quote:

But you can agree that they are NOT 5 days a week 9 AM - 6 PM, right? We can agree that even students who don't have acting jobs manage to work in other jobs or internships AND attend school. I don't see the difference.
One difference is the lack of work on weekends and at night. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying its not as simple as some are trying to make it sound.

michr544125

I am not sure how convinced I am that Chandler is really thinking about staying vs. maybe just trying not to have fans down on Wilson. So hard to tell. Though, that would explain Corday's nonchalant attitude about him leaving. Maybe both sids are just doing their own thing regarding his contract. I guess, only time will tell. Chandler did express how his parents were concerned that finding another job may not be that easy. Maybe he is reconsidering. If it were me and I had a steady job, I'd take another 2 year guarantee and still learn the ropes but that's just me. I would love for him to stay but if he is on reduced air time, I hope they find a way to incorporate Sonny into another story that doesn't involve Wilson, so his airtime isn't reduced also. Though they still need to spice something up with Wilson because if it stays as it is now, I'm just not feeling them as much like a couple. They aren't a an old married couple that's been married for 40 years. They are a young couple who shouldn't be able to keep their hands of each other.
Edited by michr544125, Aug 6 2013, 05:55 PM.

dooldooldool

Pookie
...........But he could, say, schedule all of his classes for 2 days a week and be available to shoot 3 days a week. He could have a morning class and leave the afternoon open or vice versa. This isn't like high school where you have to be somewhere at a set time every day. College schedules are by their nature, flexible..........
I suspect that he wants the "college experience". You can't have that and be racing to the studio a couple days a week. Plenty of students juggle jobs, but I don't think you can compare appearing on a daily network television series with delivering pizzas, working in a restaurant, or even holding down a fulltime corporate job.

He's barely into his twenties, has been a wildly successful working actor for a big chunk of his young adulthood, and probably is hearing the counsel of family/friends that he is going to need a solid education to be successful in show business. And it is a business.

If we went back and looked at the past twenty years of soap actors, even the emmy nominees/winners, I bet many of them are barely scraping by as actors or have found new careers. Isn't Judi Evans' full time job managing a funeral parlor/cemetary? I don't exactly see Van Hansis or Jake Silberman tearing up the big/small screen? And I think even in all our wildest dreams, DOOL isn't likely to be on the air in another ten years.

He'll do what's best for him.
Edited by dooldooldool, Aug 7 2013, 01:02 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply