Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sandra Oh is leaving Grey's Anatomy
Topic Started: Aug 14 2013, 04:59 PM (490 Views)
darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

EW can confirm that five-time Emmy nominee Sandra Oh — and onetime Golden Globe winner — Sandra Oh will depart ABC’s venerable medical drama in 2014, after 10 years of playing prickly, brilliant surgeon Cristina Yang.

“It’s been a great privilege to play the character of Cristina Yang on GA and I am both sad and excited to see where this, her final season will take her,” Oh said in a statement. “It was an emotional and deeply creative decision for me and I feel fully supported by Shonda and the writers. It’s so rare in an actor’s life to be able to explore and grow a character so fully, so completely. I am profoundly grateful to everyone at GA for the opportunity.”

“One of the best days of my life as a writer happened the day Sandra Oh walked in my door to audition and forever changed the course of Grey’s Anatomy with her brilliant, nuanced portrayal of Cristina Yang,” series creator Shonda Rhimes added. “Over the past ten seasons, I have been made better by Sandra’s trust, faith and friendship and I can’t quantify how grateful I am for her collaboration on a character we both love so deeply. This year is going to be bittersweet for us — we’re both going to savor every moment of Cristina Yang and then we’re going to give her the exit she deserves. And when Sandra walks out of my door, Grey’s Anatomy will be once again be forever changed.”

Clearly, the decision didn’t come easily for Oh. “Creatively, I really feel like I gave it my all, and I feel ready to let her go,” Oh told The Hollywood Reporter, which first announced the news. “It’s such an interesting thing to play a character for so long and to actually get the sense that she wants to be let go as well. [Cristina] wants to be let go, and I am ready to let her go. We have to start the process, story-wise, for the Grey’s writers to think of why she’s going to go.”

GET EW ON YOUR TABLET: Subscribe today and get instant access!

Grey’s has lost a boatload of series regulars over the past decade, including original cast members Katherine Heigl, T.R. Knight, and Isaiah Washington. Oh’s departure could indicate a coming sea change for the hospital soap; the two-year contracts for original cast members Patrick Dempsey, Ellen Pompeo, Justin Chambers, Chandra Wilson, and James Pickens Jr. — whose Dr. Webber may or may not have perished in last year’s finale — are up at the end of the series’ coming 10th season.

But don’t think this means the end of Grey’s altogether: “It’s our intention to have Grey’s on the air for many years to come, with as many of the original cast as possible,” a rep for ABC said in a statement.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/13/sandra-oh-leaving-greys-anatomy/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

:'(

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

I loved Grey's Anatomy when it first aired, but it became very boring after some of the original cast members began leaving. I'm surprised Sandra Oh stayed
this long. Best Wishes to her!
Edited by bellajewel, Aug 14 2013, 06:42 PM.

LPS
Member Avatar

Why is this show still on?

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

LPS
Aug 14 2013, 09:20 PM
Because it's the #1 rated Drama on television?

Or was that rhetorical?

Alin89
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 15 2013, 03:52 AM
LPS

Or was that rhetorical?
lmfao :lol:

LPS
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 15 2013, 03:52 AM
LPS

Or was that rhetorical?
But does that really mean anything? Dramas are not trendy. 2 and Half Men with Ashton Kutcher gets better ratings. GA has taken a BIG hit in the ratings and it is not cheap to produce with its elaborate sets and large cast.

Plus, the quality is awful. When the core characters of your show is gone, its time to call it quits.
Edited by LPS, Aug 15 2013, 11:01 AM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

This would of been the perfect season to end the show..And this is more reason to do just that.

Alin89
Member Avatar

they should end it as well. its time and its a perfect time to do it.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

LPS
Aug 15 2013, 10:54 AM
GA has taken a BIG hit in the ratings and it is not cheap to produce with its elaborate sets and large cast.
GA's ratings were actually up 10% this season vs last season. There was even articles in EW and TV Guide about the resurgence of the show.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I am very pleased with the new interns (who've been upped to series regulars for the new season) As long as the show continues to tell good stories, I'll continue to watch.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply