Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eric Braeden Sounds Off/Writer Shake-up at Y&R
Topic Started: Aug 22 2013, 01:19 PM (899 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

Exclusive: Eric Braeden Sounds Off About the Writer Shake-up at The Young and the Restless

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Eric-Braeden-Young-Restless-1069454.aspx
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

I actually agreed with a lot of what he said. It must be so annoying for the actors when there's so many new head writers coming and going in the past, what, 5 years? Each of them with their own idea of what Y&R should look like. Also, soap operas need to stop chasing after the "younger audience" with their knock-off Gossip Girl/90210 stories and dialogue. The younger crowd (which I'm a part of) will come and stay for interesting and fleshed out stories that feature characters who act their age. No more of these 20 yr old characters acting like they're still in Junior high school. It's ridiculous and it gets very old extremely fast.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

Panda, I agree, and these companies need to stop chasing the younger audience, who only spend their money on the latest I phone or whatever, they aren't buying Tide or anything related to the household, most of them have moved back in with mommy & daddy who are doing the buying.
Soaps are not the only ones to suffer, we've lost a lot of really good shows in prime time, due to "demographics", they want the under 30 set, I guess they think that people 30 or over, bought everything they need for the rest of their lives and won't be shopping anymore.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

The networks fail to realize that the 18-25 and even a lot of the 15-18 age demographic actually like the same things as the 25-35+ crowd. Think about it, 20 yrs ago when most of the current characters were in their 20's themselves, what were their stories like? Did they speak in some stupid valley girl/clueless type of dialogue? Did they behave like pre-teens? No. They were young adults and were written as such. That's what drew people in young & old. That's what soap operas and other tv shows should consider when they're chasing after the "younger crowd"
Edited by Panda Panda, Aug 22 2013, 06:48 PM.

Soapwatcher

it always gets me that the 18-35 years old are the ones the networks go after because they have the "largest spending compacity" bulls--t! They're still paying off their student loans, their mortgages, the fancy dancy car they just had to have, their designer clothes and other things that were necessary to them, the older crowd usually has their homes paid for or down to a reasonable mortgage, they're making more money than the younger ones most of the time, they've worked hard and are ready to spend a little extra and they have their credit rating build up to where they can spend a little more than the younger generation can without jeopardizing their future. Yet the networks cancelled shows like "Harry's Law" because it generated an older crowd than what they wanted. I hope and think it will come back to bite them in the assets.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply