Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for Week of August 12-16, 2013
Topic Started: Aug 23 2013, 12:44 AM (3,228 Views)
magicsteacher
Member Avatar

jules
Aug 23 2013, 05:00 PM
Not watching much, but maybe the problem is pushing Dannifer (who I don't believe has a large fan base ?), too much of new characters like Theresa/JJ, and too much Ejami. I personally dont watch much because of the utter hatchet job they did to John and Marlena (decimating the character of John). Too bad they tape so far in advance to stop the bleeding. Ratings will probably bounce back a little, but I can't see any reason for a big upsurge in the near future.
Like I said in another thread, if tptb want to know why they are losing viewers, they just have to watch an episode like today's...too much Dannifer and Ejami.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

scifi7
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Aug 23 2013, 07:16 PM
jules
Not watching much, but maybe the problem is pushing Dannifer (who I don't believe has a large fan base ?), too much of new characters like Theresa/JJ, and too much Ejami. I personally dont watch much because of the utter hatchet job they did to John and Marlena (decimating the character of John). Too bad they tape so far in advance to stop the bleeding. Ratings will probably bounce back a little, but I can't see any reason for a big upsurge in the near future.
Like I said in another thread, if tptb want to know why they are losing viewers, they just have to watch an episode like today's...too much Dannifer and Ejami.
What was the highest day last week? The day of Sami's hearing right? a very EJAMI centric day.....maybe just maybe its not couples and the show as a whole and its pacing....after all this couple was here front and center when the ratings was going up and up and up.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

scifi7
Aug 23 2013, 07:28 PM
magicsteacher
jules
What was the highest day last week? The day of Sami's hearing right? a very EJAMI centric day.....maybe just maybe its not couples and the show as a whole and its pacing....after all this couple was here front and center when the ratings was going up and up and up.
By your argument could not have people saw what happened thursday and decided not to tune in friday because it?

Ratings have been in a steady downfall. Its jagged week to week usually but days has been losing viewers for a while. I think its c ouples annd stories. Both are codependent.

scifi7
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Aug 23 2013, 07:38 PM
scifi7
magicsteacher
jules
By your argument could not have people saw what happened thursday and decided not to tune in friday because it?

Ratings have been in a steady downfall. Its jagged week to week usually but days has been losing viewers for a while. I think its c ouples annd stories. Both are codependent.
EJ in Rafe's room, Sami with Kate.....would that be what people did not want to see and tuned out for? And I was not making a point that EJAMI brought the high rating that day, just that if a couple is being blamed for the slump, then the day they are heavily focused on, would not be the highest for the week.

placing the blame on a couple that existed when ratings were good and rising making new highs for DOOL doesn't mesh....
Edited by scifi7, Aug 23 2013, 07:55 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

When ratings were good? You mean 1.9 good or 2.0 good? (Sarcasm)
Ratings haven't been good.

scifi7
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Aug 23 2013, 08:00 PM
When ratings were good? You mean 1.9 good or 2.0 good? (Sarcasm)
Ratings haven't been good.
Its been good compared to recent years and it was more like 2.1 and 2.2. :lol:

Aliaron
Member Avatar

I'll take your word for it

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It's summer. There is no need for panic, especially when the show has been stagnant in terms of story the last few weeks. The weeks in which the show featured things happening in story the show went up. All June the show did well when things were happening. The week in July that featured Sami's arrest featured an increase. When things happen, the show goes up. Days does this every year. Days always loses more ground than anyone in summer every year it seems. Last year they had a huge hyped cliffhanger because of the Olympics. That was rare. Normally, they barely do anything. Look back at 2009. The show had a huge ratings year that year but it had a real crappy summer ratings-wise, similar to the drops we are seeing now. Corday also openly admitted that summer they only really monitor ratings September-March for renewal purposes because they view that as the critical period since more people are home watching TV. People are not home in summer so why worry? Sure, Days is down 400,000 but this is vs. The Daysaster week last year. They did go up in 18-34 and their season to date rating is up solidly. Remember, the season to date numbers include later DVR viewings and that is important to note, especially in summer when people just aren't home. Someone on here posted an article weeks ago noting Days gets a huge boost from later DVR viewings. It's likely based on the season to date number that includes those viewings that Days is doing just fine and a lot of the audience is just watching it later on since not much is happening right now. When stuff happens, they will rush and watch live or same day. That is why there is no need to panic. If this were Fall or Winter, this would be scary and Corday would act but there is no reason to now.

lysie
Member Avatar

scifi7
Aug 23 2013, 07:50 PM
Aliaron
Aug 23 2013, 07:38 PM
scifi7
magicsteacher

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

EJ in Rafe's room, Sami with Kate.....would that be what people did not want to see and tuned out for? And I was not making a point that EJAMI brought the high rating that day, just that if a couple is being blamed for the slump, then the day they are heavily focused on, would not be the highest for the week.

placing the blame on a couple that existed when ratings were good and rising making new highs for DOOL doesn't mesh....
It happens on both sides every single week. I don't think there's a single couple that's been on this show that hasn't been together both when ratings were awful and when ratings were up. This is true for Dannifer, Ejami, Safe, Ejole, Lumi, WilSon, Nabi, all the vet couples, and every other couple I can think of with the possible exception of the couples involving newer characters in the beginning of 2011. There's just no point in mentioning characters' names.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Just looks at the Fall previews for Days. It's clear they are putting everything out there in the Fall. They are basically story building now. That is typical Days. The period we're in now is the period we were in during March/Apri only it makes more sense to be having a lull like this now as it's summer and people aren't really watching TV anyway. If it weren't for the Daysaster numbers last year, I don't think it would look that bad for Days vs last year but those high numbers last year make it look worse this year. These are realistic summer numbers, especially when nothing is going on. I expected these numbers most of the summer and I think it's a good sign Days took so long to get these kind of numbers this summerl. The show will rebound as soon as things start happening in the Fall. The show clearly has big stuff planned based off the previews. It'll be fine. It always is. This show surges back more times than any other show. It's just doing what it likes to do...amping things up come Fall. Come November, you'll look back at these numbers and wonder why you panicked. It happens every year.

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 23 2013, 09:39 PM
Just looks at the Fall previews for Days. It's clear they are putting everything out there in the Fall. They are basically story building now. That is typical Days. The period we're in now is the period we were in during March/Apri only it makes more sense to be having a lull like this now as it's summer and people aren't really watching TV anyway. If it weren't for the Daysaster numbers last year, I don't think it would look that bad for Days vs last year but those high numbers last year make it look worse this year. These are realistic summer numbers, especially when nothing is going on. I expected these numbers most of the summer and I think it's a good sign Days took so long to get these kind of numbers this summerl. The show will rebound as soon as things start happening in the Fall. The show clearly has big stuff planned based off the previews. It'll be fine. It always is. This show surges back more times than any other show. It's just doing what it likes to do...amping things up come Fall. Come November, you'll look back at these numbers and wonder why you panicked. It happens every year.
Don't mistake hope for panic. ;)

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

lysie
Aug 23 2013, 09:56 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 23 2013, 09:39 PM
Don't mistake hope for panic. ;)
LOL. TRUTH!

Really though, I think Phoenix Rising is pretty on target with this. Obviously the show has been in a holding pattern for July and August, and I assume the drama will pick up in September like it always does. Spoilers already indicate that is what will happen. Overall I think the show is in decent shape because it has had pretty well-thought-out storylines for most of the year and they still seem to be on track with them. There are definitely some featured couples/characters that I don't like, but I still think that the stories involving them are fairly well-crafted. The show isn't perfect and I think they need to stagger story climaxes better, but it's a vast improvement from the constantly changing direction and lacklng of build-up/pacing that we saw under MarDar.

daysmemories

Great for GH...its really good. Days....meh...I dont want to watch so one can hardly begin to care

Dee-anne

daysmemories
Aug 23 2013, 10:35 PM
Great for GH...its really good. Days....meh...I dont want to watch so one can hardly begin to care
GH has improved the last couple of weeks. I am actually looking forward to tuning in next week. Days bores me the majority of the time. There is no depth to their stories, They write the characters in a way that we care about them less and less and that is not good.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

I really do hope that Days ratings begin to improve in September. They need to ramp up the drama and story telling a lot because I believe the loss of Casey, Chandler and Eileen are going to cost them dearly, not to mention putting Drake and Bryan on recurring.

Bee
Member Avatar

JDeveraux_91
Aug 23 2013, 02:03 PM
Interesting, GH seems to have gotten it's mojo back, while Days is stuck in the vortex of suck known as Dannifer. This is not a good trend for Days. I wonder when we will hear about KC's newest "plan to save Days?"
Days just needs more Fetch. There is still a lot of time in the hour wasted on other characters and their stories when they could be pimping Dannifer. :drunk:
Edited by Bee, Aug 24 2013, 10:51 AM.

Ej Fan
Member Avatar

I feel like Days taping schedule really hurts it. Unless they predicated this slide in viewers there's nothing they can do that we will be able to see on screen until 4/5 months from now. They need to do what GH does and tape a month and a half in advance so they can make changes as needed. Even though taping in advance may save them a lot of money in the long run it's gonna cost them more viewers.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Never mind. Just a cranky old guy who spouted off.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Aug 24 2013, 01:58 PM.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

It's really pretty simple, IMO.

The stories are dragging & the ratings are showing it.

I was impressed with how they managed to Segway from May Sweeps into new stories, but that only lasted for a bit & now we're stalled out.

I'm sure once these stories ramp up the ratings will reflect it.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

I think its crazy to say its just couples or its just stories. Its both. Days stories are often hit or miss. You can't build a solid audience on story only. You need the audience to feel connected to characters/couples even inspite of story.

But Days use the same characters and same couples for all of their stories. And the characters/couples they use have limited appeal. Most of them don't even feel connected to the show. Its like they don't even have an effect on its history.

And the show's face couple, EJ and Sami, are not even face characters. They guarantee the show will always be one bad step from sinking. Because they weigh the show down. There is nothing epic about them.

If your main stay couple is epic people will give them some leadway and the show leadway. That means even when your stories are bad your ratings can be a little stable to give you time.

Days needs a Josh and Reva... a Victor and Nikki... a fucking Bo and Hope.

Nightime soaps get it. Scandal gets it. Grey's Anatomy gets it. Why don't daytime soaps get it.
Edited by Aliaron, Aug 25 2013, 01:14 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply