Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Chandler Massey done taping Days; Updated with TV Guide interview p11
Topic Started: Aug 23 2013, 07:42 PM (25,430 Views)
camera shy

Days better pray that this NuWIll really goes over great with the viewers.
Offline Profile Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

camera shy
Aug 28 2013, 09:37 AM
If he doesn't go over well, the character will be recast or written off. Either way, the show will survive.
Edited by badaddiction, Aug 28 2013, 09:45 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

camera shy

badaddiction
Aug 28 2013, 09:44 AM
camera shy
If he doesn't go over well, the character will be recast or written off. Either way, the show will survive.
I don't know about that. Their ratings haven't been so great. And I saw on another board a poster upset because where she lives.....Salt Lake City.....the station that used to air Days has chosen to drop it from it's live up. I'd say years and yeas ago when Soaps were beyond popular re-casting a popular character wasn't too big a deal, but now when Soaps are on shaky grounds they can't afford to make too many missteps.
Offline Profile Goto Top

OliveAnn

supercool74
Aug 28 2013, 09:32 AM
Okay, I agree he probably should have notified the proper people before announcing the news at the Emmys. But this is all just so sad to me. They still could have let him know a tab bit before letting him go. And they could have planned it better story wise because I'm going to absolutely HATE it if there is no time in between Wills. If CM is there one day and the new guy is there the next and we are just supposed to except him and Sonny together, it going to suck. Now I'm hearing things about a triangle. So now I'm thinking they'll break up because it won't be the real Will and Sonny. I'm sad.
They could have notified him, but they didn't and I'm not surprised. They did the same thing to Mary Beth Evans and Stephen Nichols, two people who are legends on this show. Says a lot, doesn't it?
Edited by OliveAnn, Aug 28 2013, 09:55 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

I've thought that announcement during the Emmys was a bad move... Maybe his publicist told him to do it in an early attempt to negotiate a deal with the show that would leave him on the show but they'd work around his schedule.... It clearly didn't work and it backfired greatly for CM... Since he says he misses the money the most, I'm willing to bet that getting the boot on Friday really bothered him.... And I don't for a minute believe he won't try to pursue other acting stuff now and will just take a limited amount if classes... I think whomever advised him to take the opportunity of another Emmy win and announce he was leaving without first telling Days is now the one that should be looking for a job. If it was his publisist, I'd fire his ass. CM is young and I hope he takes this as a learning lesson.
Offline Profile Goto Top

trojangal
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Aug 28 2013, 09:55 AM
I've thought that announcement during the Emmys was a bad move... Maybe his publicist told him to do it in an early attempt to negotiate a deal with the show that would leave him on the show but they'd work around his schedule.... It clearly didn't work and it backfired greatly for CM... Since he says he misses the money the most, I'm willing to bet that getting the boot on Friday really bothered him.... And I don't for a minute believe he won't try to pursue other acting stuff now and will just take a limited amount if classes... I think whomever advised him to take the opportunity of another Emmy win and announce he was leaving without first telling Days is now the one that should be looking for a job. If it was his publisist, I'd fire his ass. CM is young and I hope he takes this as a learning lesson.
CM did say at the fan event in Chicago that he was planning on going to China in January
I got the impression it was to further his education since he is studying Chinese but
Yes I am sure he will be doing some acting too when he can fit it into his schedule
Offline Profile Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

camera shy
Aug 28 2013, 09:52 AM
badaddiction
Aug 28 2013, 09:44 AM
camera shy
I don't know about that. Their ratings haven't been so great. And I saw on another board a poster upset because where she lives.....Salt Lake City.....the station that used to air Days has chosen to drop it from it's live up. I'd say years and yeas ago when Soaps were beyond popular re-casting a popular character wasn't too big a deal, but now when Soaps are on shaky grounds they can't afford to make too many missteps.
I'm not convinced the GA is as invested in the character of Will as some of the on-line audience is. It could be that this recast won't mean a hill of beans to the GA (Nielsen) families. They'll just go with the flow, unless the actor is atrocious.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sevprince

LuvingLumi
I thought it was bad move too. Is common sense that you don't talk about contract stuff until you get the go ahead from the show. I still think that it was negotiation move. I think that he should fire his publicist and stay away from sheen.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sevprince

blueskies
Aug 28 2013, 08:52 AM
a triangle? I hope it's not with Brent. Brian on the other hand....
I just hope it is a man in the love triangle. You never know with these shows. Tyler (Brent) said he was done filming though and made it sound like that confrontation with Will was his last scenes. There was this whole dialog with fans on his twitter. It was kind of confusing.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

Sevprince
Aug 28 2013, 10:06 AM
LuvingLumi
I thought it was bad move too. Is common sense that you don't talk about contract stuff until you get the go ahead from the show. I still think that it was negotiation move. I think that he should fire his publicist and stay away from sheen.
Couldn't agree more about the publicist... Chandler seems much more "managed" than other actors of his age and experience, and it hasn't worked out well for him at all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jdawg1077

Wow, this story just got much juicier lol. I think Michael Logan summed up the behavior of both sides perfectly.

Personally, I'm fine with a recast. I agree with some that Chandler has seemed a bit off recently. He was great in the climax of the Nick story in May. But something seems to be lacking as of late. I'm hesitant to say that he is "phoning it in". He might just be tired out. And acting-wise, he might feel that the real arc of Will's story has been completed: He had a girlfriend, he questioned himself, he came out, and he found love. Perhaps as an actor he feels that he's done what he can do with part, without wanting to go through the normal soap sturm und drang of breaking up and getting back together with his love interest.

I think that if they find the right actor, it could really inject some energy into the story. But that's a big "if".
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

jdawg1077
Aug 28 2013, 10:13 AM
Wow, this story just got much juicier lol. I think Michael Logan summed up the behavior of both sides perfectly.

Personally, I'm fine with a recast. I agree with some that Chandler has seemed a bit off recently. He was great in the climax of the Nick story in May. But something seems to be lacking as of late. I'm hesitant to say that he is "phoning it in". He might just be tired out. And acting-wise, he might feel that the real arc of Will's story has been completed: He had a girlfriend, he questioned himself, he came out, and he found love. Perhaps as an actor he feels that he's done what he can do with part, without wanting to go through the normal soap sturm und drang of breaking up and getting back together with his love interest.

I think that if they find the right actor, it could really inject some energy into the story. But that's a big "if".
My take on it is that he's really, really good at the heavy, pivotal scenes. Will's coming out, his first kiss with another man, the Nick storyline. That's what he submits for the Emmys, and that's what gets him the wins. But he's not as good at the "Hi, honey, I'm home" type of scenes, which are the bread and butter of soaps. The point of soaps is to follow these characters through their daily lives. He doesn't seem to give those scenes the effort they deserve, whether because of lack of talent in that area, or because as you're saying, he doesn't think it's worth it. The longtime actors on Days, like Deidre, John Aniston, Jim Reynolds, know how to make even those types of scenes interesting and noteworthy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

OliveAnn

Ellie
Aug 28 2013, 10:12 AM
Sevprince
LuvingLumi
Couldn't agree more about the publicist... Chandler seems much more "managed" than other actors of his age and experience, and it hasn't worked out well for him at all.
Anyone who manages Charlie Sheen can't be a good publicist. I mean, look at the reputation Charlie has in Hollywood.
Offline Profile Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

OliveAnn
Aug 28 2013, 10:32 AM
Ellie
Aug 28 2013, 10:12 AM
Sevprince
LuvingLumi
Anyone who manages Charlie Sheen can't be a good publicist. I mean, look at the reputation Charlie has in Hollywood.
I don't think you can put the blame for CS' reputation on his manager. CS is a drug addict, I believe born and raised in and around Hollywood. He knows how Hollywood works but he seemingly has nothing but contempt for it. His is a perfect example of familiarity breeding contempt. I just think at his age, he's said F the Hollywood machine, I'm winning (RME), I'm rich and I'm going to do as I please no matter what. There's only so much his Publicist can do.

Edited by badaddiction, Aug 28 2013, 10:42 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Okay. Are other people dying to know if Deidre Hall is pissed about this?
Offline Profile Goto Top

lachelle73

blueskies
Come on Days do you have anything new, didn't we just have a triangle well sort of. I wanted to see something different for Will and Sonny and who could the triangle be with is the person going after Will this time or is this someone from Sonny past.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jdawg1077

Ellie
Aug 28 2013, 10:19 AM
jdawg1077
Aug 28 2013, 10:13 AM

My take on it is that he's really, really good at the heavy, pivotal scenes. Will's coming out, his first kiss with another man, the Nick storyline. That's what he submits for the Emmys, and that's what gets him the wins. But he's not as good at the "Hi, honey, I'm home" type of scenes, which are the bread and butter of soaps. The point of soaps is to follow these characters through their daily lives. He doesn't seem to give those scenes the effort they deserve, whether because of lack of talent in that area, or because as you're saying, he doesn't think it's worth it. The longtime actors on Days, like Deidre, John Aniston, Jim Reynolds, know how to make even those types of scenes interesting and noteworthy.
Omg, you are so spot on here. He's done the heavy-lifting flawlessly. But the more mundane, day-to-day performances can sometimes seem off and awkward. He occasionally has this reflex/tick where he laughs/smiles when it doesn't fit into the scene. And it's become more noticable lately.
Offline Profile Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

lachelle73
Aug 28 2013, 11:02 AM
blueskies
Come on Days do you have anything new, didn't we just have a triangle well sort of. I wanted to see something different for Will and Sonny and who could the triangle be with is the person going after Will this time or is this someone from Sonny past.
Ah, but remember...KC loves those triangles. Blech.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LonePirate
Member Avatar

If I was a publicist or PR rep in Hollywood, I would love for someone like Charlie Sheen to be one of my clients because it would mean constant employment, much of it very interesting if not challenging and fun. Sure, there would be headaches along the way but it would be a memorable job.

I fully expect Massey will appear on Sheen's show considering how there was that photo posted months ago of Massey at that show's studio.

Like Lysie, I am interested in Deidre's reaction given how she is supposedly friends with Greg Meng who did the firing and she certainly has seemed close to Chandler as well.

After reading that article from Logan, Chandler will never return to this show barring a change in executives and a huge pay raise. Meng and company surely knew he would not sign a new contract so for them to hold a grudge about his announcement at the Emmys and his subsequent treatment last week is amazingly petty. That speaks very poorly of Meng and others in charge, especially since the publicity and good will from Will's story are probably responsible for the show's Writing Emmy last year and Drama Series Emmy this year in addition to Massey's two Emmys. I have been as critical as anyone has been of Massey's acting but he deserved far better treatment than he received from Days.
Edited by LonePirate, Aug 28 2013, 11:14 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

LonePirate
Aug 28 2013, 11:10 AM
Like Lysie, I am interested in Deidre's reaction given how she is supposedly friends with Greg Meng who did the firing and she certainly has seemed close to Chandler as well.

After reading that article from Logan, Chandler will never return to this show barring a change in executives and a huge pay raise. Meng and company surely knew he would not sign a new contract so for them to hold a grudge about his announcement at the Emmys and his subsequent treatment last week is amazingly petty. That speaks very poorly of Meng and others in charge, especially since the publicity and good will from Will's story are probably responsible for the show's Writing Emmy last year and Drama Series Emmy this year in addition to Massey's two Emmys. I have been as critical as anyone has been of Massey's acting but he deserved far better treatment than he received from Days.
I have no idea what went down, but let's keep in mind that Greg was the one who conveyed the news (according to this article). These execs are often 'just the messenger' for others. Remember Ed Scott having to meet with Martha and Brandon? I think at the time, signs pointed to it not being Ed's decision to fire them. Greg has Ed's position at Days now. So while it could have been Greg, it's important to note that it might not have been. Also notable was that Chandler is (was?) supposed to appear on the book tour for Greg's book. Would Greg want to take that away?
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic