Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Chandler Massey done taping Days; Updated with TV Guide interview p11
Topic Started: Aug 23 2013, 07:42 PM (25,226 Views)
Honeybees
Member Avatar

I certainly understand why all the young actors would want to leave. Back in the day, actors committed to soaps because they could have a regular job and get paid well. If a character took off, it could lead to a substantial career. Now, even with better prospects/publicity for daytime, there's no security.

One good primetime gig can set up an actor quite nicely with a lot less work.

The fact is that I think Chandler was probably pushed to exhaustion and burnout. Eileen, who has more experience, bolted very quickly. Meanwhile, they hardly use talented people who would probably love to work more.

In some ways, it's unfair to compare the performances, even dare I saw Shawn Christian's, to actors who are hardly on and have more downtime and rehearsal time.

But especially with younger cast members, if they push them to burnout or give them terrible writing - such as what poor Kate Mansi is getting - their agents and managers are going to tell them to take the risk and leave.

I have a hard time believing the show was vindictive to Chandler, just that they didn't want to pay him for another 13 weeks. Contract ploys come with the territory and what Chandler said at the Emmys doesn't come close to some things other actors on the show have done over the years, though I really think Chandler did want to go and wasn't going to resign no matter what they offered him, especially if the punishing schedule was getting to him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

michr544125

I don't get why so many people think some big triangle is in the works. There is already a spoiler for fall where Will questions Sonny hanging around Brent so much and Will might not like the answer he gets. So to me the TV Guide article was only going off of that and making it sound like there is some big triangle coming that Massey starts off as Will and why a recast is needed. But TV Guide was only reporting old news already reported. Days seems to be simply recasting a legacy character to continue a popular pairing with Wilson. I don't think the recast has anything to do with a triangle continuing...not to say there won't be one eventually with the new actor.
Edited by michr544125, Aug 28 2013, 05:49 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

Re-post from another thread:

I have issue with people continually calling out Massey for quitting. He didn't. He opted not to renew his contract. That's his choice. He still had a contract to finish. Surprise, surprise that the show decided to laugh in his face. I wouldn't mind half the decisions this show made if they ever showed an inch of tact.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ShaneDOOLFan

Ireland98
Aug 28 2013, 04:11 PM
I always hate to hear when actors leave Days on bad terms, especially ones like Chandler that have helped the show in recent years. Even if it is typical show biz.

I can understand Chandler being upset and I feel badly for him. He can still get in touch with the cast and crew that he was close with to say goodbye. But he's only leaving a few months earlier than planned and will now have more time to get ahead on school, pursue other options, or just finally have some downtime. This press will help him too.

Days is already struggling with ratings, has some fans not happy with current writing, and will now lose 3 actors off air in back to back months- Casey, Eileen, and Chandler. This situation with Chandler is upsetting fans, along with fans that are already upset with the treatment of the vets.
Chandler is 22, multitalented, and has his whole life ahead of him to achieve success. I think he'll do just fine.

So while the handling of Chandler's exit sucks, the ones that are going to be more negatively affected by this sudden firing are the viewers and Days. I don't understand the logic of their decision at all. But I don't think there's a lot of common sense among TPTB so I can be too surprised. Egos at play.
And again I'll say that I hope Days gets a good recast.

What is so hard to understand? I respect your opinion and I hate seeing Chandler not get some type of chance to say goodbye, but I think the show made the best decision for what will help it. I just dont see the point of delaying the other actor from starting. The show wants the recast to start immediately after the hiatus. As a fan of Will and Sonny, Id rather see the transition be immediate than dragged out. The more material this new Will will have will help viewers adapt to him better in my opinion.
Edited by ShaneDOOLFan, Aug 28 2013, 06:21 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Keith
Aug 28 2013, 06:05 PM

I have issue with people continually calling out Massey for quitting. He didn't. He opted not to renew his contract. That's his choice. He still had a contract to finish. Surprise, surprise that the show decided to laugh in his face. I wouldn't mind half the decisions this show made if they ever showed an inch of tact.
If this is directed toward me, I have issues with people (not you, Keith) continuing to push one version of events behind the scenes as truth when it is clearly based on speculation and fanwank. That's where my post was coming from.

I do think Chandler's admission that "he got what he wanted" matches the version of events that I'm seeing. But this seems to be a Rorschach blot for everybody.
Edited by granolagirl, Aug 28 2013, 07:35 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Aug 28 2013, 07:34 PM
Keith

If this is directed toward me, I have issues with people (not you, Keith) continuing to push one version of events behind the scenes as truth when it is clearly based on speculation and fanwank. That's where my post was coming from.

I do think Chandler's admission that "he got what he wanted" matches the version of events that I'm seeing. But this seems to be a Rorschach blot for everybody.
It wasn't directed towards you. There does seem to be a lot of basic fan whining going on, which is what it is. Then the TV Guide thing came out and I was okay, because it indicated that it was more or less an understood deal. But the details about how the show handled the exit really rubbed me the wrong way. The same way that it hurt when others have been released from their contract before they were expected to in recent years (Matt Ashford, Stephen Nichols, MBE, the DHs). And yes, while he had opted not to renew, he didn't deserve this treatment anymore than they did, especially with the show coasting on two Emmy wins from him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Keith
Aug 28 2013, 07:46 PM
But the details about how the show handled the exit really rubbed me the wrong way. The same way that it hurt when others have been released from their contract before they were expected to in recent years (Matt Ashford, Stephen Nichols, MBE, the DHs). And yes, while he had opted not to renew, he didn't deserve this treatment anymore than they did, especially with the show coasting on two Emmy wins from him.
CM may have "blind-sided" them by telling the media before he told the bosses, but not only is people leaving at the end of their contracts a possiblity they are required to keep in mind and be prepared for, they still got several months notice, even if it wasn't to them first.

firing a young man who has done so much for them like that was just plain nasty
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

It can't be good for team morale for the rest of the actors to have this kind of thing happening.

It must be hard to come in for your next Will scenes with a new actor when you haven't had a chance to say goodbye to the old one. I would have thought managing the process better would have led to a better end product.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

I kind of get the Emmy thing. I mean, picture the execs at Days. Their show won for the first time in years, which was HUGE. Their younger actor won for the 2nd year in a row for a storyline which got a lot of publicity. They were on top of the world. And while the mainstream media focused on Days' show win, which was great, what do they see in the soap media? Chandler announces he may leave. I can really see why they'd be upset.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 28 2013, 09:01 PM
I kind of get the Emmy thing. I mean, picture the execs at Days. Their show won for the first time in years, which was HUGE. Their younger actor won for the 2nd year in a row for a storyline which got a lot of publicity. They were on top of the world. And while the mainstream media focused on Days' show win, which was great, what do they see in the soap media? Chandler announces he may leave. I can really see why they'd be upset.
I understand being upset. But there's no way that this response isn't anything but petty and it makes them look worse. Its not like this is new behavior for them, either.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

Keith
Aug 28 2013, 09:04 PM
Ellie
I understand being upset. But there's no way that this response isn't anything but petty and it makes them look worse. Its not like this is new behavior for them, either.
Oh, COMPLETELY agree. Even though they were understandably upset, I do not in any way think this was the correct response. I'm just saying he (or his publicist, likely) is not Mr. Innocent.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 28 2013, 09:06 PM
Keith
Aug 28 2013, 09:04 PM
Ellie
Oh, COMPLETELY agree. Even though they were understandably upset, I do not in any way think this was the correct response.
For the record, I didn't think you did. Its one thing to see their view point and another to agree with it. I recognize Devil's advocate when I see it. ;)
Offline Profile Goto Top

ShaneDOOLFan

Why does everyone think its such a big deal that they didnt give him a notice of a last day, especially if Chandler knew they might find a recast? The new Will is obviously starting immediately for a good reason, not because the show was trying to spite Chandler for leaving or announcing his departure.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

ShaneDOOLFan
Aug 28 2013, 09:10 PM
Why does everyone think its such a big deal that they didnt give him a notice of a last day, especially if Chandler knew they might find a recast? The new Will is obviously starting immediately for a good reason, not because the show was trying to spite Chandler for leaving or announcing his departure.
Because "its bad form" to quote Captain Hook. On the heels of the mishandling of the Drake situation, its just a really bad move for cast morale. The new Will could have started immediately regardless and Chandler still could have been informed it was his last day with some tact. Do you know anyone who deserves to be told its their last day the same day after they finish work? The fact that his co-workers were blind sighted, too, is not good.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ShaneDOOLFan

We dont really know the circumstances though. I just really think they did it for a reason regarding budget or story.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

ShaneDOOLFan
Aug 28 2013, 09:20 PM
We dont really know the circumstances though. I just really think they did it for a reason regarding budget or story.
Their past actions make me inclined to disagree, but that's JMO.
Offline Profile Goto Top

michr544125

I have to wonder, even with the fact they are recasting Will, how devoted this show really is to Wilson. It seems they are going through a lot of trouble all over Will when I am still trying to figure out why it is.

I'm still in shock that it will now be almost a year (at least) before Will and Sonny are even shown to have a bedroom :shrug: . There is a real issue with that. Will and Sonny are barely shown to have any type of romantic relationship. I'm just baffled as to why the show is even interested in keeping them around when they obviously are scared to show them together in any real "couple" situations. I don't care who the actor is playing Will... if Will and Sonny are not going to be shown as anything more than buddies, then don't bother. I don't want them to recast just to say "Yay look at us! We are the king of gay friendly tv because we have two stick figure gay characters that we allow to stand around and high five each other."
Edited by michr544125, Aug 28 2013, 10:12 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

michr544125
Aug 28 2013, 09:43 PM
I have to wonder, even with the fact they are recasting Will, how devoted this show really is to Wilson. It seems they are going through a lot of trouble all over Will when I am still trying to figure out why it is.

I'm still in shock that it will now be almost a year (at least) before Will and Sonny are even shown to have a bedroom :shrug: . There is a real issue with that. Will and Sonny are barely shown to have any type of romantic relationship. I'm just baffled as to why the show is even interested in keeping them around when they obviously are scared to show them together in any real "couple" situations. I don't care who the actor is playing Will... if Will and Sonny are not going to be shown as anything more than buddies, then don't bother. I don't want them to recast just to say "Yay look at us! We are the king of gay friendly tv because we have two stick figure gay characters that we allow to stand around and high five each other."
IMHO I haven't seen anything to tell me this show is devoted to Wilson. I've seen evidence they are devoted to the character of Will.. Will is their future where lead males go... He's grown up in screen and the viewers are attached to HIM as a character.
Offline Profile Goto Top

trojangal
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Aug 28 2013, 07:34 PM
Keith

Sorry to butt in but
Some people discussing this actually talked to Chandler over the weekend at the
two fan events he attended so not everything is fan wanking or speculation.
Just because it is reported by SOD or another soap media outlets doesn't mean it is the whole truth
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hugo
Member Avatar

Chandler made a bad move by announcing his plan to exit the show at the Emmys. He put the producers in a tough spot, especially since they are taping so far ahead. They obviously wanted the viewers to get invested in the Wilson love story but knowing the couple already had an expiration date sometime next year made it complicated.

I think it was the right choice to recast the role sooner rather than later. I read somewhere that Chandler was informed his contract could be terminated early if they found the right actor and that he was OK with it.

That being said, the producers could have given him a heads up instead of waiting for his last scenes to be taped and just tell him to pack his things. That was really cold.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic