Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Chandler Massey done taping Days; Updated with TV Guide interview p11
Topic Started: Aug 23 2013, 07:42 PM (25,619 Views)
ShaneDOOLFan

I dont see the problem with the show asking him to leave early if they have found a recast. Maybe it is story dictated as well. Im sure Chandler was happy to leave earlier regardless. He doesnt seem that into his material anymore and it shows.
Edited by ShaneDOOLFan, Aug 23 2013, 09:02 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 23 2013, 08:59 PM
So, looks from the SOD piece that they forced him out a bit early. Stay classy, Days.
What a shitty move! So typical of Days.

Best of luck to Chandler, he's a talented kid with a bright future.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Ellie
So, looks from the SOD piece that they forced him out a bit early. Stay classy, Days.
You really think so? That really sucks if they did that :(
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

ShaneDOOLFan
Aug 23 2013, 09:01 PM
I dont see the problem with the show asking him to leave early if they have found a recast. Maybe it is story dictated as well. Im sure Chandler was happy to leave earlier regardless. He doesnt seem that into his material anymore and it shows.
Alison said she was working on "challenging" material, so I bet it is story dictated.
Online Profile Goto Top

Luce

I know not everyone feels the same way about Chandler, or this news in general, but from the previews I've been reading about what's coming, I'm actually starting to mostly feel disappointed because it doesn't sound like we're going to get much from the Will/Sonny part of his storyline before he leaves. That's really all I could ask for at this point, but unless they came up with something good for them around Christmas, it's been looking like Will and Sonny's story is still pretty slow and/or more focused on Nick and Gabi than themselves. I'm pretty bummed about this in that regard. If I'm going to lose him (I wish him the best but I'm sad) I kinda had been banking on having an event to attach it to instead of new!Will just... showing up one day.

If that's the case, I will be VERY curious about the chemistry the recast will have with Freddie. I know nothing about this at all, but having to jump headlong into an established relationship doesn't seem like it would be easy...

Also, Charlie Sheen is an idiot.
Offline Profile Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Ellie
Well, it could be that he's happy for the opportunity leave early. :shrug:
Online Profile Goto Top

Will&Sonny

I'm kind of in a state of disbelief here.

I have been very vocal about the fact that I believe that Chandler Massey is the best actor on the entire show (and, quite frankly, the best actor in daytime). I know that some people will consider that an overstatement, but that's my honest opinion. There are plenty of good actors on Days, and in daytime television in general, but none have ever been able to consistently make me feel for their character the way that Chandler has been able to, and that's ultimately the most important determining factor for me -- that intangible something that causes a gut instinct that this actor is head and shoulders above the rest.

I'm going to hate saying goodbye to Chandler's version of Will, and it's going to be very hard for me to accept a recast, but I figured that, despite Ken Corday's previous statements to the contrary, a recast was sort of inevitable, since Freddie Smith had not yet announced any plans to leave the show and I highly doubted that the writers would ever truly break up Will and Sonny. I was just holding out hope that Chandler might change his mind between now and December, when his contract was set to expire, which would have eliminated the need for a recast. Otherwise, I would have preferred for Will and Sonny to leave together and for another gay couple to take center stage on the show. While I'm also a big fan of Freddie and wouldn't have wanted him to leave, I also didn't want to see Will and Sonny break up, be together off-screen (like Bo and Hope), or be together on-screen with a different actor playing Will, so seeing them leave together would have been the least horrible option for me. Oh well.

I hope that these final months of Chandler's version of Will include some more love scenes for Will and Sonny, but that's probably too much to hope for.

I also hope that we find out who this recast is soon. Whoever he is, he has incredibly big shoes to fill, and I fear that the Will and Sonny pairing will never be the same, but I'll try my best to give him a fair chance.

I've always been the kind of viewer who watches the show every day, no matter what -- since 1995, I have never missed an episode, even when I hated the storylines and the actors who were front and center (*coughs* James Scott *coughs*). I've never understood why anyone would be a "fair weather" viewer who regularly abandons the show when things aren't going their way. Ultimately, I still don't -- daytime television has never been about one actor, character, or storyline -- but knowing that we will soon be losing Eileen Davidson and now, far more importantly (to me, anyway), Chandler, is the closest that I've ever been to feeling like I'll no longer have a reason to watch the show when they leave. It's still not nearly enough to make me abandon the show, but it's the only thing that's ever made me even begin to consider that possibility.

This site really needs a "heavy sigh" emoticon.

:'( (I don't even like the blue emoticons, but none of the others adequately convey the sadness that this news has caused.)
Offline Profile Goto Top

LonePirate
Member Avatar

Luce
Aug 23 2013, 09:04 PM
If that's the case, I will be VERY curious about the chemistry the recast will have with Freddie.
Freddie should talk to Eric Martsolf as he has plenty of experience dealing with different actresses portraying Brady's love interest because it happens pretty much every year.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I'm really, really sad to see Chandler go. However, I honestly feel a re-cast is the best option. Will has become too much of an important character at this point to usher off of the canvas completely. They have lost too many good characters from the actors leaving to pursue other opportunities in the past few years. They just better be prepared with one hell of a re-cast.
Online Profile Goto Top

AnthonyL

ShaneDOOLFan
Hard to stay excited when your material is boring and trite.
Edited by AnthonyL, Aug 23 2013, 09:15 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ShaneDOOLFan

I liked Will and Sonny, but I am definitely more of a Freddie Smith fan. Chandler is VERY good, but for me his acting sort of became phoned in really after Will and Sonny got together for the most part. Chandler was incredible through the whole Will coming out storyline, but beyond that I feel he really didnt have a passion for the "soap opera couple" material. Ive never truly bought the chemistry between Freddie and Chandler (I have always thought Freddie was more comfortable between the two) as partners. Hopefully the show found someone who is a little more believable in my eyes. I know im probably in the minority, but Im glad the show kept Freddie.
Edited by ShaneDOOLFan, Aug 23 2013, 09:17 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hamilton
Member Avatar

badaddiction
Aug 23 2013, 09:06 PM
TreasureCove
Ellie
Maybe he wanted to enroll in classes and not miss fall semester so something was worked out to benefit him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ShaneDOOLFan

AnthonyL
Aug 23 2013, 09:15 PM
ShaneDOOLFan
I wouldnt really call their material boring, but more "soap opera couple" material. Freddie is much more believable with it in my opinion. Chandler just hasnt really felt the material since Will and Sonny got together in my opinion.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Luce

LonePirate
Aug 23 2013, 09:09 PM
Luce
Aug 23 2013, 09:04 PM
If that's the case, I will be VERY curious about the chemistry the recast will have with Freddie.
Freddie should talk to Eric Martsolf as he has plenty of experience dealing with different actresses portraying Brady's love interest because it happens pretty much every year.
I haven't been watching long enough to know, but isn't that different? He switches pairings entirely, not just actresses. He's wasn't walking into a room one day with Eileen as Kristen or Sarah as Madison and then the next day with a different actress playing the same person...

I just think it'd be hard to get all the little things down right away, that's all. If Will and Sonny are still supposed to be together, the actors get no opportunity for build-up at all. They're just walking straight into something that's supposed to have been established for over a year.

I'm sure this has happened with some other couple before, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around it right now. And who knows, maybe something happens towards the end of this year and Will isn't going to show back up right away after all. Whatever the case, I wish the new actor and Freddie luck because I can't imagine they won't be in each other's orbit in some way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LonePirate
Member Avatar

Does this mean that Camila Banus is now the veteran of the young set, depending on what age group people classify Blake Berris? If so, the executives at Days and NBC really need to start working on solidifying and shoring up the younger actors\characters on this show as everyone else is closing in on 40 and above. Otherwise the show will need to be named Days of our Senior Lives in a few years.
Offline Profile Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

ShaneDOOLFan
Aug 23 2013, 09:19 PM
AnthonyL
Aug 23 2013, 09:15 PM
ShaneDOOLFan
I wouldnt really call their material boring, but more "soap opera couple" material. Freddie is much more believable with it in my opinion. Chandler just hasnt really felt the material since Will and Sonny got together in my opinion.
FS was probably happy just to finally get some decent airtime because of WilSon. As opposed to CM, who was already getting significant airtime prior to that pairing.
Online Profile Goto Top

Will&Sonny

Hamilton
Aug 23 2013, 09:18 PM
badaddiction
Aug 23 2013, 09:06 PM
TreasureCove
Ellie
Maybe he wanted to enroll in classes and not miss fall semester so something was worked out to benefit him.
That's what I was thinking -- that the timing of this nicely coincides with the beginning of the fall semester at most colleges. Believe what you will about the executives in charge of Days, but I highly doubt that they'd usher a two-time Emmy winner -- arguably one of the people most responsible for any accolades that Days has received over the past few years for their acting, storytelling, and portrayal of a gay couple -- out the door any earlier than they had to unless it was a mutual decision. I'd like to think that Chandler probably even had a hand in the recasting process.

But maybe I'm being as na´ve as Eric. :shrug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

LonePirate
Aug 23 2013, 09:21 PM
Does this mean that Camila Banus is now the veteran of the young set, depending on what age group people classify Blake Berris?
For now, but isn't she leaving as well?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Will&Sonny

Those upcoming fan events that Chandler is going to be attending just got a lot more interesting. I wish that I could attend one of them. Hopefully reports from the events will surface somewhere afterward.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I won't miss him and his constant smirks.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic