Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eileen Davidson Returns to Y&R for 3 episodes
Topic Started: Aug 27 2013, 07:58 PM (4,049 Views)
AFaithL

Just. No.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

I read her interview in Soap Opera Digest from about a month ago and still can't put my finger on what "went wrong," causing her to leave, etc. My interpretation was that the writing wasn't very good this time around.

I don't watch that show (quit it cold turkey 26 years ago) so I don't know. There didn't seem to be the same buzz for her like there was back in '96/'97, etc. Was she just given some lame story lines?

paul89

Renegade_Killerbee
Sep 16 2013, 10:51 AM
I read her interview in Soap Opera Digest from about a month ago and still can't put my finger on what "went wrong," causing her to leave, etc. My interpretation was that the writing wasn't very good this time around.

I don't watch that show (quit it cold turkey 26 years ago) so I don't know. There didn't seem to be the same buzz for her like there was back in '96/'97, etc. Was she just given some lame story lines?

you mean ? days or y&r??

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Renegade_Killerbee

Oh, there was definitely buzz. From the moment they announced her return in July 2012 people who had watched the show in the 90's and had hoped for the iconic Kristen Blake DiMera to return, came to the barricades to wait her return. She has been in the A-storyline all this time and her every storyline has been frontburner. She has also led the episode rankings for five months this year. Some say her coming back to the show in the fall was a little "quiet" but I thought it was just approriately so. Because it set the tone that nobody really knew if the character had changed or not, which of course she hadn't. Then she slowly revealed it all, and people were extatic to see her work. Her character did rape a priest though, which maybe was too much for some, but it was in character, lol, so I didn't mind it.

The major point is that what she has been able to do on Days, in one year, has been more than she has gotten to do on Y&R in ten years. The storylines, the beats, the various emotions from rage to sadness to desperate to gleeful to strong to bitchy to scheming to calm. It has been an actor's goldmine. However, these same reasons probably IMO wore her out eventually. She also felt Kristen is a character that has a short shelf-life, but she was open to return some point in the future.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Yoryla
Oct 6 2013, 04:15 PM
Renegade_Killerbee

Oh, there was definitely buzz. From the moment they announced her return in July 2012 people who had watched the show in the 90's and had hoped for the iconic Kristen Blake DiMera to return, came to the barricades to wait her return.
I believe he meant in daytime as a whole, and there just wasn't. Everyone is still focused on General Hospital.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

DrewHamilton
Aug 28 2013, 12:59 PM
Although I'll always love Kristen, Davidson just fits so much better on Y&R as Ashley. I'm interested to see what brings Ashley back to Genoa City for just three episodes. I still think Davidson will return to Y&R full time. Maybe this will be her lead in.
She really does.

On Days she can never be more than a one note villain who stirs things up for a few months before her actions force a retreat from town, either voluntary or via prison. She's gone too far to be integrated as a functioning member of Salem society, Ashley on the other hand can.

She definitely has more to do and has done than just be Victor's doormat. If people would look further than the 5 years Y&R's Dena Higley equivalent was writing for her they'd see that.

I also don't get the fandom that would rather see her sitting by the phone waiting for Days to probably never call than be gainfully employed - even for as little as three days. This is the real world, people have bills.

Edited by Drew, Oct 6 2013, 06:22 PM.

shark
Member Avatar

:eyeroll: never cared for her character. Maybe she won't stay long. I always wanted to cut her bangs, so, she wouldn't have to shake her head so much , so, she could see.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Drew
Oct 6 2013, 05:04 PM
I also don't get the fandom that would rather see her sitting by the phone waiting for Days to probably never call be than gainfully employed - even for as little as three days. This is the real world, people have bills.

Umm, she wasn't fired, she left on her own, with the TPTB offering to accommodate the shooting schedule around her own and probably would have made any other allowance to her if she had wanted to stay. And this is all after the fact that she single handedly helped revitalize that whole show and garnered praise. So, yeah, I don't think she is the one who has to sit by any phones. If she wants to go back to Days, I'm sure she could at least get the ball rolling on that, anytime she wanted to.

Also, it doesn't matter one iota what Ashley has been on Y&R some time five years ago or ten years ago, or what she has potential to do. We all know she has the potential. That has never been the issue. How the EP and the writers feel, is. The notion that if ED went back there as Ashley and things would suddenly change on a dime for her and they would write multi-layered, front-burner storylines for her, is just a fantasy world. It's even more of a fantasy now, that the one person who at least seemed to want to restore the Abbott family to it's glory, Josh Griffith, is gone.
Edited by Yoryla, Oct 6 2013, 06:28 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

And yet, all the times she was available and Days didn't call were because .....?

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Drew
Oct 6 2013, 04:55 PM
Yoryla
Oct 6 2013, 04:15 PM
Renegade_Killerbee

Oh, there was definitely buzz. From the moment they announced her return in July 2012 people who had watched the show in the 90's and had hoped for the iconic Kristen Blake DiMera to return, came to the barricades to wait her return.
I believe he meant in daytime as a whole, and there just wasn't. Everyone is still focused on General Hospital.
And this just simply isn't true, lol.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Drew
Oct 6 2013, 06:21 PM
And yet, all the times she was available and Days didn't call were because .....?
And what times were those?

After she left Days she wanted to take a hiatus, after which she returned to Y&R, where she stayed until they fired her, after which B&B scooped her up. And when they fired her from there, Y&R asked her back, ending with the latest firing.

And you do know, that - per ED's own words - Y&R had known since March that she would be exiting Days, and they never called her between that time and July. And during that time so-called reports claiming how "Y&R tried to get her back", which obviously were bogus.
Edited by Yoryla, Oct 6 2013, 06:27 PM.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

Drew
She was under contract with Y&R & then there was budget issue as well.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

It was pretty hard to miss last year's mainstream attention on GH, with favs returning and the show actually being good again. And it wasn't just because of the anniversary, who could forget all the crickets back in the day.

And in the middle of that, "oh yeah Kristen is going back to Days"

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Dreamy
Oct 6 2013, 06:25 PM
Drew
She was under contract with Y&R & then there was budget issue as well.
Are you saying Days had less money in 2006 and 2008 than they do now? :lol:
Edited by Drew, Oct 6 2013, 06:30 PM.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Drew
Oct 6 2013, 06:27 PM
It was pretty hard to miss last year's mainstream attention on GH, with favs returning and the show actually being good again. And it wasn't just because of the anniversary, who could forget all the crickets back in the day.

And in the middle of that, "oh yeah Kristen is going back to Days"

Yes, but what does any of this have to do with this topic? This thread has absolutely nothing to do with GH, and I didn't see any reference to the original question about GH. This was based solely on what was happening with Days and it's viewers.

Soap bloggers, critics, Days fans and reporters had high praise for ED's return.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Yoryla
Oct 6 2013, 06:32 PM
]Yes, but what does any of this have to do with this topic? This thread has absolutely nothing to do with GH, and I didn't see any reference to the original question about GH. This was based solely on what was happening with Days and it's viewers.

Soap bloggers, critics, Days fans and reporters had high praise for ED's return.
No actually, this thread was solely based on giving Y&R fans good news about Y&R. But as usual the entire internet revolves around Days of Our Lives and no topic can ever be discussed without examining, re-examining and some good old-fashioned pearl clutching about what any piece of news could mean for Days of Our Lives.

As for "what does GH have to do with this", see the quotations in Post 25.

Peace.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

I can take Ashley or leave her, it's when she gets all high and mighty and virtuous that I tune her out.
I don't know why they don't use Tracy more, it's obvious she and steve are having problems.
Maybe Ash and Tracey could move in together and be roomies. lol
I didn't realize ED had been fired from Y&R, I thought she left of her own accord because of MAB.
Why would they call back someone they fired and why would you go back if you got fired?
I understand she has bills to pay, but these people don't live paycheck to paycheck, or at least they shouldn't if they've made smart investments.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Drew
Oct 6 2013, 06:41 PM
Yoryla
Oct 6 2013, 06:32 PM
]Yes, but what does any of this have to do with this topic? This thread has absolutely nothing to do with GH, and I didn't see any reference to the original question about GH. This was based solely on what was happening with Days and it's viewers.

No actually, this thread was solely based on giving Y&R fans good news about Y&R. But as usual the entire internet revolves around Days of Our Lives and no topic can ever be discussed without examining, re-examining and some good old-fashioned pearl clutching about what any piece of news could mean for Days of Our Lives.

As for "what does GH have to do with this", see the quotations in Post 25.

Peace.
Yes, the quotation where you mentioned GH. This thread was about Eileen Davidson, the actress, who has significant ties to two shows, Days and Y&R, so it was perfectly alright to talk about those two shows in relation to her.

But whatever.
Edited by Yoryla, Oct 7 2013, 02:06 PM.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Sammie Jo
Oct 6 2013, 06:44 PM
I can take Ashley or leave her, it's when she gets all high and mighty and virtuous that I tune her out.
I don't know why they don't use Tracy more, it's obvious she and steve are having problems.
I didn't realize ED had been fired from Y&R, I thought she left of her own accord because of MAB.
Why would they call back someone they fired and why would you go back if you got fired?
I understand she has bills to pay, but these people don't live paycheck to paycheck, or at least they shouldn't if they've made smart investments.
It was a little bit more complicated than that. Sony, who owns both shows, Days and Y&R, wanted her to do double shift, in other words, some sort of an arrangement where she could spend some time on Days and some on Y&R. IMO, now in hindsight, very good that it didn't happen, because what could have she done on either show half-time? She would have basically been a recurring backdrop character on both shows, she certainly couldn't have had the prominence as she had as Kristen, without a full contract.

Anyway, MAB nixed the sharing idea, she didn't want "their ED" to represent another soap at the same time. Which resulted in Sony forcibly "moving" her from Y&R to Days, because they obviously had to choose and felt she was more needed at Days. Which she was. The ugly part of all of this was that none of what was going on, was made aware to ED herself, until after it had happened. So, she was basically told she was fired from Y&R at first. And at that point she had no idea about them wanting her back on Days. But then she agreed to that, and the rest is history.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

Yoryla
Oct 7 2013, 01:21 PM
Sammie Jo
Oct 6 2013, 06:44 PM
It was a little bit more complicated than that. Sony, who owns both shows, Days and Y&R, wanted her to do double shift, in other words, some sort of an arrangement where she could spend some time on Days and some on Y&R. IMO, now in hindsight, very good that it didn't happen, because what could have she done on either show half-time? She would have basically been a recurring backdrop character on both shows, she certainly couldn't have had the prominence as she had as Kristen, without a full contract.

Anyway, MAB nixed the sharing idea, she didn't want "their ED" to represent another soap at the same time. Which resulted in Sony forcibly "moving" her from Y&R to Days, because they obviously had to choose and felt she was more needed at Days. Which she was. The ugly part of all of this was that none of what was going on, was made aware to ED herself, until after it had happened. So, she was basically told she was fired from Y&R at first. And at that point she had no idea about them wanting her back on Days. But then she agreed to that, and the rest is history.
Thanks,sounds like there's more drama going on behind the scenes than on the screen. lmao

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply