Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Friday August 30th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Aug 30 2013, 02:04 AM (12,515 Views)
jwsel
Member Avatar

I'm not sure why it annoys me so much, since when have soaps held their characters to real-life professional standards (Daniel, the doctor who sleeps with his patients, anyone?). But the plea offer scenes really infuriated me because Melinda Trask would be disbarred if she did that in real life. It's legal ethics 101 that an attorney may not communicate with a person represented by an attorney without the attorney present. Sami's plea offer should have been communicated to Justin for him to discuss with Sami or there should have been a meeting with Justin present. For a prosecutor to just go to an accused's cell, make an offer, and pressure her to take it is about as clear a violation of the ethical rules as you can get. If Justin were written as a half-way competent attorney, the instant he learns about the plea offer, he should be in front of the judge demanding that Melinda (and probably most of her office) be disqualified from prosecuting Sami. And EJ, who also is an attorney, should have instantly raised holy hell when Sami told him that Justin didn't know about the plea.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

peaches179

Rosebud
Aug 31 2013, 11:28 PM
peaches179
Aug 31 2013, 11:14 PM
Rosebud
Aug 31 2013, 10:06 PM
marie1969
Aug 31 2013, 04:26 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I always wonder if Sami fans who think marlena is a lousy mother watched the same show I watched for all these years since Sami came back to Salem from Colorado. Is Marlena a perfect mother, hell no, but if she was so awful then how come Carrie and Eric and Belle turned out to be pretty decent adults? :shrug:

The little screen time they give Marlena I don't want to see it wasted on Sami. The days of proving her love to that selfish brat are over.
I feel the same way. I'm so tired of Sami accepting Marlena when she needs her, and then rejecting her and bringing up the affair when she decides to take her own problems out on Marlena. There comes a point when you have to say that Sami is a grown woman with children of her own and there is only so much Marlena should have to take, though she keeps on taking it over and over and I know she will always. It's a two way street, and Sami really is never there for Marlena - only when she needs her. As a viewer, I am done with Sami as far as Marlena goes. Marlena can't win when it comes to Sami. :shrug:

Yeah, I was done with Sami when she kidnapped her own baby sister and WATCHED her mother and father go through pure hell for DAYS. And the only reason she came clean was because she got busted. She's rotten and always will be imo.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

scifi7
Member Avatar

jwsel
Aug 31 2013, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure why it annoys me so much, since when have soaps held their characters to real-life professional standards (Daniel, the doctor who sleeps with his patients, anyone?). But the plea offer scenes really infuriated me because Melinda Trask would be disbarred if she did that in real life. It's legal ethics 101 that an attorney may not communicate with a person represented by an attorney without the attorney present. Sami's plea offer should have been communicated to Justin for him to discuss with Sami or there should have been a meeting with Justin present. For a prosecutor to just go to an accused's cell, make an offer, and pressure her to take it is about as clear a violation of the ethical rules as you can get. If Justin were written as a half-way competent attorney, the instant he learns about the plea offer, he should be in front of the judge demanding that Melinda (and probably most of her office) be disqualified from prosecuting Sami. And EJ, who also is an attorney, should have instantly raised holy hell when Sami told him that Justin didn't know about the plea.
The plea offer was done in Justin's presence, when Sami negotiated better terms she chose to do with without her attorney present.

jwsel
Member Avatar

scifi7
Aug 31 2013, 11:57 PM
jwsel
The plea offer was done in Justin's presence, when Sami negotiated better terms she chose to do with without her attorney present.
I don't believe that changes anything. It is still unethical conduct. Under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct (which is the basis for most state rules of ethics), it does not matter if the client represented by counsel initiates the communication with the attorney. The attorney must terminate the communication. In fact, the Department of Justice tried to push for a rule change about 10 to 15 years ago to allow prosecutors to speak with represented criminal defendants without counsel present if the defendant initiated the communication and gave a written or recorded waiver after receiving informed consent. That effort failed.

The rule exists precisely because someone in a position like Sami's is very likely to panic about her case. To protect accused defendants from undermining their cases, particularly when they may not fully understand the implications of speaking directly with the opposing prosecutor, the communications are prohibited entirely.
Edited by jwsel, Sep 1 2013, 02:38 AM.

thepadange

Panda Panda
Aug 31 2013, 06:00 PM
gailwinters
Aug 31 2013, 12:38 PM
spartan
Aug 31 2013, 10:11 AM
I find myself not caring about Bristen scenes anymore since we know ED is leaving. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the dynamic between those two has slightly changed as well since EM probably knew of ED's departure by this point. That could just be my own bias working in there though. I dunno.

Either way, it needs to be said once more......I HATE Days taping so far ahead.
If it's bias, then I'm biased too, because I think the dynamic between Eric and Eileen has changed, and it has resulted in a noticeable difference in the Bristen dynamic. I absolutely believe it happened when Eric found out Eileen was leaving.
ED left in June/July and she probably told EM that a few weeks prior so we're not close to those episodes yet are we? We shouldn't get to any "disconnect" between them until October/November.

I've noticed that their chemistry is off too. I think it's because the writing for the relationship is still the same as it was pre-breakup. It just doesn't work anymore you can't just have Brady blindly declare his love for Kristen and break off his relationships with his family for her now that he knows she was plotting to hurt John & Marlena. It doesn't even make sense that they've gotten back together so quickly and that Brady wants to marry her now, because of what? She was propping fetch? Get out of here with that stupidity.

I believe EM is tired of Brady being written like such an idiotic chump for no reason at all.
It's hard to guess when it actually happened but, I think, it was earlier than a few weeks prior to the departure. ED told SOD this:
Quote:

they didn't want me telling anybody, so for a long time I was just sitting on the information. It took a few weeks and I said, "I've got to tell Martsolf, I just feel really crappy about not telling him".

So about April/May he might have known she is leaving.

BTW I wouldn't say their chemistry is off (there is still enough of it, IMO) but it is slightly different than it was before. I don't think it's because of the current writing for Bristen which was quite often shallow/trite and leaking in depth from the very beginning of the relationship. I think, Bristen 2.0 is a little bit (or a lot) rushed because of Eileen's departure.

Actors have to be used to the feeling that their characters are going in the different direction they would like them to go, they might feel like that about 90 percent of the time, I guess. But it's their job they are paid for to play whatever is written for them. Even if the current s/l for Brady maybe is not what EM would necessarilly wish I don't think it's a big problem for him to play it except maybe from tweeters daily sending him tweets complaining about how dumb his character is. Some people simply don't understand the fact that actors have nothing to do with how their characters are written.
The fact of loosing the co-star (once again), especially the one you are clicking with, is of much more importance, IMO.

S loves EJ

TreasureCove
Aug 31 2013, 08:31 PM
scifi7
Aug 31 2013, 07:52 PM
TreasureCove
Aug 31 2013, 07:16 PM
Sami and EJ's past doesn't make them equal. Sami's actions towards EJ were in retaliation of undeserved mindgames, abuse, rape, and torture.

Do the writers really have to rub salt into the wounds by having the victim of multiple rapes "ache" to reward her rapist?Posted Image Do they honestly have to put that disgusting stuff into an already offensive storyline? What the fuck is the matter with them?
Your offensive is a love story being told to many others......so not one fuck is wrong with them AFAIAC!
It being written as a love story is why it's offensive, so that's why something is wrong with them. Of course, these are the same writers who think Dannifer is a rootable love story too.

I donīt believe the writers delibrately trying to offend anyone, they are not writing for Ejami to upset those who doesnīt like the couple they are writing for those who loves the couple.

thepadange

Kristen (about the ring): "it is bigger than the other one you gave me". Who the hell wrote that script :shrug: ?

Is she now supposed to be a 16yo girl from a poor background?
Edited by thepadange, Sep 2 2013, 03:06 AM.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

jwsel
Sep 1 2013, 12:56 AM
scifi7
jwsel
I don't believe that changes anything. It is still unethical conduct. Under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct (which is the basis for most state rules of ethics), it does not matter if the client represented by counsel initiates the communication with the attorney. The attorney must terminate the communication. In fact, the Department of Justice tried to push for a rule change about 10 to 15 years ago to allow prosecutors to speak with represented criminal defendants without counsel present if the defendant initiated the communication and gave a written or recorded waiver after receiving informed consent. That effort failed.

The rule exists precisely because someone in a position like Sami's is very likely to panic about her case. To protect accused defendants from undermining their cases, particularly when they may not fully understand the implications of speaking directly with the opposing prosecutor, the communications are prohibited entirely.
ICAM... but I gave up on Days trying to keep things as realistic as possible. I doubt they ever heard of the Model Rules of Professional Responsibility. It keeps me sane to let it go.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
Sep 1 2013, 08:54 AM
jwsel
scifi7
jwsel

ICAM... but I gave up on Days trying to keep things as realistic as possible. I doubt they ever heard of the Model Rules of Professional Responsibility. It keeps me sane to let it go.
Me, too. I used to drive myself crazy by asking the hubs about questions of law that come up on the show. Now I may still ask, but then I just laugh about how wrong the writers are.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

jwsel
Sami has the right to the assistance of an attorney but she can waive that right.Sami asked to see Melinda without her attorney which is why Melinda had a witness and recorded the conversation with her.You can challenge anything in court but I don't think Justin would likely win the argument.I don't see Melinda's behavior as unethical given that the original offer was made in Justin's presence.
Edited by BeeBee, Sep 1 2013, 09:38 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

camera shy

You know after finally watching Friday's show, it made me think about how truly loving and heroic Lucas was to go to prison for Will. At the time, he probably didn't even give it a second thought, he was going to protect his son.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

scifi7
Aug 31 2013, 08:43 PM
TreasureCove
Aug 31 2013, 08:31 PM
scifi7
Aug 31 2013, 07:52 PM
TreasureCove
Aug 31 2013, 07:16 PM
Sami and EJ's past doesn't make them equal. Sami's actions towards EJ were in retaliation of undeserved mindgames, abuse, rape, and torture.

Do the writers really have to rub salt into the wounds by having the victim of multiple rapes "ache" to reward her rapist?Posted Image Do they honestly have to put that disgusting stuff into an already offensive storyline? What the fuck is the matter with them?
Your offensive is a love story being told to many others......so not one fuck is wrong with them AFAIAC!
It being written as a love story is why it's offensive, so that's why something is wrong with them. Of course, these are the same writers who think Dannifer is a rootable love story too.
in your opinion off course, not canon, like I said, many see it differently.

Quote:

I donīt believe the writers delibrately trying to offend anyone, they are not writing for Ejami to upset those who doesnīt like the couple they are writing for those who loves the couple.

If a scene were written where Abe and Theo were called the N-word and everyone found it funny, including Abe and Theo it would than be canon that two of the black citizens of Salem don't find the word offensive. Given the world we live in, that would make me sick, even though the characters would be just fine with being treated as less than human, I would be disgusted because of how it is in the real world.
Edited by TreasureCove, Sep 1 2013, 10:54 AM.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
Sep 1 2013, 08:54 AM
jwsel
scifi7
jwsel

Yes, but the thing about soaps and realism is that they can't really even be connected. I mean, if things were done on soaps in a most realistic way possibly, then how would that even work? This wouldn't a soap anymore. Soaps need to have these suspend one's disbelief moments in order for them to work. Otherwise people could never do any of the things they do. Also, at least for me, soaps are somewhat of an escape. I don't watch soaps in order to get realism. That's available in every aspect of a person's normal life. I think most people watch soaps in order for things to be possible, that otherwise wouldn't.

Ellie

I just deleted a number of posts. The first rule in our rules is "respect other members and the content of their posts". As Lysie mentioned about a week ago, there are a few of you who seem to refuse to do this.

Here are the rules if anyone needs a refresher:

http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/boardrules/

Also, with regard to off-topic posts: we are generally pretty easygoing on this, but if you're in a daily discussion thread and feel like starting a discussion about why you love or hate ____ (insert couple or character) in general, and it has nothing to do with that day's show, it's not the right place for it. The right place for it is a fan board.

I'll reopen this thread in an hour or two so that anyone who wants to discuss Friday's show further can have a chance to do so.

Ellie

Thread re-opened. Ps - thanks to those of you who took the high road and reported posts rather than responding. We always appreciate it!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply