Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Charles Shaughnessy returns to "Days" for Nov Sweeps episodes
Topic Started: Aug 30 2013, 01:38 PM (5,295 Views)
JorgeAnn1950
Member Avatar

I hope Shane and Kimberly fly in and fly back out with Theresa.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

spartan
Member Avatar

SHANE!! :yahoo:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T-Love74
Member Avatar

JorgeAnn1950
Aug 31 2013, 12:25 PM
I hope Shane and Kimberly fly in and fly back out with Theresa.
Doesn't Jen Lilley have a 4 yr contract?

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Daysofold
Aug 31 2013, 12:20 AM
Daysfanatic79
Aug 30 2013, 09:42 PM
james0479
Aug 30 2013, 08:10 PM
Reese
Aug 30 2013, 08:01 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
The sky is the limit when it comes to stories for Shane and Kim. Why the show decides to rest legacy characters only to bring them back for super short stints is beyond me. These characters are as important to this show as that hourglass. Rest characters for awhile...that's fine. But bring them back for a few years. See what happens. If ever there were characters to rest, it's Sami, Eeeejjjj, Maggie and Daniel. But that's just my two cents and a nickel.
Peter, Drake, and Eileen are gone now and that is quite a void when it comes to legacy characters. If the network wanted the show stripped of it's character, they have done an excellent job.

Then you have Marlena, Hope, and I could go on that are mere props, and only used if a storyline requires them , Then you have HUGE legacy characters like Doug, Julie, and Laura that have been a part of this show's canvas since almost it's inception not on the show for even short arcs, and are never even mentioned.

I remember back in the 90's, on those old boards that were just awful and hard to read (which we didn't realize at the time), people downed JER for destroying the show's legacy characters. However, he used Laura, John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Stefano, Tony, Jack, and I could go on. He also was always open to using vets like Doug and Julie for special occasions or as stabilizing characters once Francis Reid was getting older.

Now, I can only hope this return is good and interesting since Kim and Shane are one of my all time favorite couples. The ex-hooker and ISA agent going at it. It was great TV and storytelling, and Patsy rocked during her "Multiple Personality" storyline. They are both great actors, and sadly, that gives me little hope since most great actors that return since about the year 2000 have been thrown under the bus.

You are being so positively optimistic but I do not think TPTB have the brains to actually write for Shane and Kimberly. The current writing regime have shown how to utterly destroy the couples who made Days, and I mean that seriously to where the majority of the longtime viewers (30 yrs) have checked out. They have tried to bring in the newer generation, only to burn them out and make them move onto other projects. While its refreshing that Shane and Kim will be on canvas for a few episodes, they're only propping Jeannie/Teresa or whoever she is, or to finally bring closure to Bo and Hope which should have happened ALONG TIME AGO. The biggest mistake the writers made was letting Peter Reckell go. At this rate and by the numbers, (because the ratings don't lie) I don't see Days reaching 50. JMO
Oh, you take me very wrong.....I HAVE NO FAITH IN ANY RETURN THIS SHOW MANAGES TO DESTROY!!

Now, even if you have been on canvas for the larger amount of the last three decades, your character can be annihilated quicker than you can blink. Every return for the last 15 or so years has been just bad, real bad. Eileen started out with promise, and it has been great just to have her and her skill on he show, but then they redirect the course of history and dump her real reason for coming back. Kristen is psycho. She should be a bit more over-the-top and making Marlena's life miserable, and Stefano should be right in the middle with John. Did that happen...no. The best return this show has had since Stefano's return in the early 90's, and they start right and screw up the story.

This show cannot manage a long term return of a legacy character.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

The start wasn't even good. Not having Kristen rescued from the harem on screen was a huge mistake. The idea that she was sitting around in big hats in Europe working with a therapist was a big bucket of cold water on the return before she even aired.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Thanks to Reese for the Avi♥

Lets see how they manage to fuck up Kim and Shane...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tylerbo20

im still dreaming of the day I read Louise Sorel, Christie Clark, Stephen Nickoles back to DAYS and also DAYS rehires Sherri as the head writer

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

tylerbo20
Aug 31 2013, 05:12 PM
im still dreaming of the day I read Louise Sorel, Christie Clark, Stephen Nickoles back to DAYS and also DAYS rehires Sherri as the head writer
Sherri would love to write Days again, but she won't return so long as she would be forced to write the stories other people want her to write. she wants to be the one who controls the story.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

Love it! Thanks, Jason!

jwsel
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 06:18 PM
tylerbo20
Aug 31 2013, 05:12 PM
Sherri would love to write Days again, but she won't return so long as she would be forced to write the stories other people want her to write. she wants to be the one who controls the story.
I thought Sheri has said that she doesn't think she could write Days given the budget constraints the show faces.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Daysofold
Daysfanatic79
james0479
Reese

The sky is the limit when it comes to stories for Shane and Kim. Why the show decides to rest legacy characters only to bring them back for super short stints is beyond me. These characters are as important to this show as that hourglass. Rest characters for awhile...that's fine. But bring them back for a few years. See what happens. If ever there were characters to rest, it's Sami, Eeeejjjj, Maggie and Daniel. But that's just my two cents and a nickel.
Peter, Drake, and Eileen are gone now and that is quite a void when it comes to legacy characters. If the network wanted the show stripped of it's character, they have done an excellent job.

Then you have Marlena, Hope, and I could go on that are mere props, and only used if a storyline requires them , Then you have HUGE legacy characters like Doug, Julie, and Laura that have been a part of this show's canvas since almost it's inception not on the show for even short arcs, and are never even mentioned.

I remember back in the 90's, on those old boards that were just awful and hard to read (which we didn't realize at the time), people downed JER for destroying the show's legacy characters. However, he used Laura, John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Stefano, Tony, Jack, and I could go on. He also was always open to using vets like Doug and Julie for special occasions or as stabilizing characters once Francis Reid was getting older.

Now, I can only hope this return is good and interesting since Kim and Shane are one of my all time favorite couples. The ex-hooker and ISA agent going at it. It was great TV and storytelling, and Patsy rocked during her "Multiple Personality" storyline. They are both great actors, and sadly, that gives me little hope since most great actors that return since about the year 2000 have been thrown under the bus.

You are being so positively optimistic but I do not think TPTB have the brains to actually write for Shane and Kimberly. The current writing regime have shown how to utterly destroy the couples who made Days, and I mean that seriously to where the majority of the longtime viewers (30 yrs) have checked out. They have tried to bring in the newer generation, only to burn them out and make them move onto other projects. While its refreshing that Shane and Kim will be on canvas for a few episodes, they're only propping Jeannie/Teresa or whoever she is, or to finally bring closure to Bo and Hope which should have happened ALONG TIME AGO. The biggest mistake the writers made was letting Peter Reckell go. At this rate and by the numbers, (because the ratings don't lie) I don't see Days reaching 50. JMO
I don't think Bruce Evans and the suits want the writers to write for Shane and Kim. They want to bring them in for a short stint to boost ratings for November sweeps, and then they will be gone like the wind just like the rest of the vets they have brought back. These PTB only care about good ratings three times a year... November, February and May sweeps periods. When those times come along, they pull out the stops, and we get good writing and interesting stories; other than that, we get slow-moving, plodding, repetitive garbage.

jwsel
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Aug 31 2013, 08:26 PM
Daysofold
Daysfanatic79
james0479

I don't think Bruce Evans and the suits want the writers to write for Shane and Kim. They want to bring them in for a short stint to boost ratings for November sweeps, and then they will be gone like the wind just like the rest of the vets they have brought back. These PTB only care about good ratings three times a year... November, February and May sweeps periods. When those times come along, they pull out the stops, and we get good writing and interesting stories; other than that, we get slow-moving, plodding, repetitive garbage.
I wouldn't say that Shane's last visit was particularly good writing. The safe house storyline was pretty lame. Not only did it make virtually no sense to have six characters pretend to be dead for all of five minutes but then let nearly everyone in Salem know the truth, the writers failed to use Shane's history (i.e., John acted like he barely knew Shane and the writers never even told us what happened with Shane's reconciliation with Kim) and made him seem utterly incompetent as an ISA agent (between nearly getting everyone killed at the safe house, not knowing it had a basement, having horrible security at ISA headquarters, and screwing up with Stefano's arrest).

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

jwsel
Aug 31 2013, 08:39 PM
magicsteacher
Aug 31 2013, 08:26 PM
Daysofold
Daysfanatic79

I wouldn't say that Shane's last visit was particularly good writing. The safe house storyline was pretty lame. Not only did it make virtually no sense to have six characters pretend to be dead for all of five minutes but then let nearly everyone in Salem know the truth, the writers failed to use Shane's history (i.e., John acted like he barely knew Shane and the writers never even told us what happened with Shane's reconciliation with Kim) and made him seem utterly incompetent as an ISA agent (between nearly getting everyone killed at the safe house, not knowing it had a basement, having horrible security at ISA headquarters, and screwing up with Stefano's arrest).
I agree it wasn't. That's why I believe they don't want the writers to really write well for them.. they just want them onscreen to hopefully bring in viewers for sweeps.

james0479
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
james0479
Reese
jwsel
Aug 30 2013, 04:42 PM

Shane could start up some kickass ISA stories. Sick of just seeing relationships where couples have the same damn conversation every single day, the busy bodies who prop them every single day and villains who aren't the least bit villainous or scary.

I love your reply because it's just simply the truth. Back in the old day, aka JER days , I remember so many using the term "JERk" because his storytelling frustrated people to no end, he drew story out, he would change personalities to a certain degree for story BUT he always fixed it...always made it right and when story was drawn out, he left you on the edge of your seat regardless. AND, like you said, he utilized legacy characters in the process. He was, to me, the most brilliant mind in the industry.

But back to the real topic.... The ex hooker and the ISA agent (love that!)... I'm super excited to see them on my screen again! I love Patsy Pease. I fell in love with her and her character instantly when I began watching in 1990. It's sad how the show doesn't seem to get how even now we really just want the people we grew up with. There's so much story there! As a longtime viewer, I miss my old friends. They are what hooked me in the first place. I'm happy to see them when they pop up but I want more than a brief stint. That's just me.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

james0479
Aug 31 2013, 08:45 PM
Daysfanatic79
james0479
Reese

I love your reply because it's just simply the truth. Back in the old day, aka JER days , I remember so many using the term "JERk" because his storytelling frustrated people to no end, he drew story out, he would change personalities to a certain degree for story BUT he always fixed it...always made it right and when story was drawn out, he left you on the edge of your seat regardless. AND, like you said, he utilized legacy characters in the process. He was, to me, the most brilliant mind in the industry.

But back to the real topic.... The ex hooker and the ISA agent (love that!)... I'm super excited to see them on my screen again! I love Patsy Pease. I fell in love with her and her character instantly when I began watching in 1990. It's sad how the show doesn't seem to get how even now we really just want the people we grew up with. There's so much story there! As a longtime viewer, I miss my old friends. They are what hooked me in the first place. I'm happy to see them when they pop up but I want more than a brief stint. That's just me.
I'm with you about JER. I use to think "Good God when will his stories ever end!"

Now, we all wish JER would just be back, but full time. His second stint would have worked IF he hadn't had Passions. Did I love it all? No, there are some things that didn't work for me. However, I'll take the mid-late 90's over what the show became after he left any day.

My personal fave is Sheri Anderson because of her connection to what the audience wants in the end game. She has a natural gift for guiding a story and keeping with the show's history.

When it comes to storytelling and the slow build up, with a GREAT payoff, James Reilly was the best there was. He was a genius.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Charlie just tweeted that it's a three day appearance:

Yup, it's true ! Three day flying visit to Salem! Time to see old friends and straighten out a wayward daughter ! #DOOL @nbcdays

https://twitter.com/C_Shaughnessy/status/374292551488245760

So at least it won't be a phone call. Kristian also hinted in another tweet that Hope will have scenes with Shane and Kim.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

jwsel
Sep 1 2013, 05:17 PM

Yup, it's true ! Three day flying visit to Salem! Time to see old friends and straighten out a wayward daughter ! #DOOL @nbcdays

So at least it won't be a phone call. Kristian also hinted in another tweet that Hope will have scenes with Shane and Kim.
Kristian and her smileys - gotta love how much those smileys say sometimes. and without her having to say a single word. i don't think you can get in trouble for sending a fan a smiley in response to a question. lol.

Keith
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Sep 1 2013, 05:19 PM
jwsel
Sep 1 2013, 05:17 PM

Kristian and her smileys - gotta love how much those smileys say sometimes. and without her having to say a single word. i don't think you can get in trouble for sending a fan a smiley in response to a question. lol.
It was as good as Jen Lilley favoriting mine and Jess' question about her sharing scene with Charlie and Patsy.

Rosebud
Member Avatar

Jason47
Aug 30 2013, 01:38 PM
Posted Image

Exciting news for "Days" fans: Charles Shaughnessy is returning to "Days of Our Lives" as Shane Donovan! Shaughnessy, who debuted as the ISA agent in 1984, returns to "Days" along with long-time leading lady Patsy Pease (Kimberly) for a limited run during November sweeps. Shane and Kimberly were one of the many supercouples "Days" made famous in the 1980s. Shane and Kimberly's daughter, Theresa, recently returned to Salem after not being seen since 1997. This will be the first time Shane or Kimberly ever share a scene with one of their children as an adult (their other son, Andrew, also was last seen as a child in 1997). Shortly after leaving "Days", Shaughnessy went on to star on the hit sitcom "The Nanny", where he played Maxwell Sheffield, the love of series star Fran Drescher's character. This will be Shaughnessy's fourth visit since he left "Days" in 1992. His previous returns were in 2002, 2010 and 2012.

http://www.jason47.com

It's been 21 years...The last time Shane, Kimberly and Theresa shared a scene:
Episode # 6871
Air Date: October 7, 1992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqt-jPQJwp4

PREVIOUS POST: Casting announcement imminent...Who's it going to be??
OMG that's hilarious. 1992 was the year Brady was born and looked there's Jeanne at least 7 years old. So how come she's back in Salem as a contemporary of JJ? Shouldn't she be older than 40 year old Brady???

Rosebud
Member Avatar

Snowing Fan
Aug 30 2013, 02:49 PM
Cool,I think it will take ALOT to straighten out Theresa though.
I hope Shane and Kimberly call her Jeanie!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply