Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
August 2013 Episode Rankings & Stats
Topic Started: Aug 30 2013, 10:41 PM (3,529 Views)
lazydazes
Member Avatar

(smdh)
Not surprised by these rankings, especially the top 5. They're on ALL the time and suck up 90 percent of the airtime on the days they're on. I guess they're counting Nicole/Eric/Abby's milli-second Daniel propping scenes as episodes? Surprised they made the cut. When they're on, they're hardly on except for a millisecond scene shot.
Calling straight up bullshit for Kristian & Dee's lack of airtime. 119 for Eileen? Seriously? That's effin' ridiculous. It just is along with the rest of her homies hugging the top four. TPTB can't justify why there's not more balance. Dee should be at the top! Isn't the revenge plot about her? (Smdh again) And when will we see how a newly single mom Hope is coping? There's no justification in Deidre or Kristian not making the list. It's just criminal. It just is.
If anything, I'd LOVE to see an hourly episode breakdown of the show during any given week. Then, the light would really reveal some ugly truths about DAYS imbalance. It'd be so glaringly obvious.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

My godness numbers three and four on this list is a disaster, no wonder that the show feels dull all too often. Sorry but when the characters are uninteresting storylines sucks.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Aug 30 2013, 11:39 PM
NYBlueDevil
Aug 30 2013, 11:33 PM
No wonder I basically hated this month. And looks like next months gonna be more of the same :yawnz:

Never thought I'd be upset with ED being at the top, but Kristen's sucked lately to me
Kristen sucks right now because all she's doing is running around trying to get Brady back and hoping that Eric hasn't remembered what she did to him. she's currently as pathetic a villain as EJ is. and this lack of proper villains is part of the problem. TomSell need to stop with the inane couple drama and put some adventure/mystery back into the show.
And some real, honest-to- goodness romance, not sex scenes, ROMANCE!

michr544125

There is still not much cast integration at all. There is no reason people should be appearing in 16 and 17 episodes, especially when those people are getting 80% of the airtime when they are on. Cast integration should be 8-10 episodes for all characters and equal airtime when they do appear. No wonder this show is a total snooze right now. The stories are stagnant with nothing going on and it's the same characters every day hogging all the airtime. I'm back to fast forwarding most of this show. Sami's trial is a total snooze and it takes up 80% of most episodes. Theresa and JJ were brought on and I really liked the at first but now it's overkill. Instead of letting them share airtime Will, Sonny, Gabi, Nick they are barely on. Kristen and Brady are on almost every day and their story hasn't moved in months. Same thing every single day. I just think this entire show is terrible. The writing stinks and absolutely nothing interesting is going on. It's all talk but no action with the same characters on every day. Yawwwwwwwwwwwn.

GH is a million times better. They hit a slump for a couple of months after the new writers took over but found their way back. Talk about better cast integration and things actually happening story wise every day. It is seriously action packed almost every episode with various interesting stories going on.
Edited by michr544125, Aug 31 2013, 09:09 AM.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 12:32 AM
DocandJohn4ever
Aug 31 2013, 12:26 AM
Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 12:16 AM
DocandJohn4ever
Aug 31 2013, 12:07 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
i'm frustrated because it's been month after month of about 5 episodes. (she doesn't even average 7 episodes a month if you take her total & divide it by 8 months.)

i just want late October to get here already so i can see some consistency. (and maybe a bit more airtime within those episodes)
it is frustrating and it's even more frustrating when they're only on for about 5 min each in one or two scenes in those 5 episodes :frustration: ... and then we get stuck watching the same recycled storylines with the same characters being shoved down our throats day after day.... it's no wonder the ratings are what they are :shame:
unfortunately, i've gotten used to the 5 min thing. it frustrates me more when they're on but spend 1/2 their time in the background - Hope just standing there while Marlena hypnotized Sami, or Hope's 2 scenes before just being in the montage of Bernardi's memorial. and then there's disappearing after 45 min or the final scene looking as if it should have a continuation the next day but doesn't.
Well, this is an opinionated message board, but that's why I come here and love it. There is one overall sentiment here: This Show Sucks Right Now!!!!!!

To not see Kristian and Deidre near the top, and to see the character assassination that we have seen under Tomsell, we are all getting pissed.

Not to mention they haven't just given our favorite couples obstacles and trouble in their relationships to over come. No, instead he's destroyed characters and made sure those couples literally died right in front of us. Would Bo be gone this long from Hope and Ciara? Would John have feelings for Kristen Dimera? It almost feels like they are doing this just in spite.
Edited by Daysfanatic79, Aug 31 2013, 08:52 AM.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

No wonder I hated August. Way too much of 9 out of 10 of those people that I loathe. 9 of them need to be backburned for a year. i know it will never happen, but still... enough is enough.

Get Ari in a better story that does not have to deal with Eric and/or Brady with the Kristen crap.

Edited by Mirage75, Aug 31 2013, 11:10 AM.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I don't mind Kristen/Eileen being so up there if only, you know, Marlena/Dee was comparably high. To me Bristen is only interesting in context of Kristen Vs Marlena, which is probably why I like the story much more in theory than in practice since the focus is so very much on Bristen. This past week for example was so much co-pimping between Bristen and Dannifer.

Ali, when is Ali not at the top. I guess I'm so used to it I've ceased to have real feelings about it. But I'll admit, y'all, I've kinda been more interested in this whole arrest thing than I have been in Sami's storyline for a long time. Maybe that means my standards are slipping, I dunno. I doubt I'll ever be an EJami fan but this is the least they've felt like a waste of my time in quite a while. Not that I think it's all that great ... maybe it's because Justin is involved? I love seeing Justin. Also, I happen to like Melinda Trask, she seems pretty badass and tough as nails to me. Also I fast forward through half the scenes so maybe it feels less bloated to me.

Melissa Reeves and Shawn Christian ... soooooo much Dannifer. I like Jennifer's issues with JJ and I like her being a mom to Abby. I like her mixing it up with Theresa (more so than Anne TBH because Anne still comes off to me like someone who's supposed to highlight how Dannifer are the shining prince and princess of Salem University Hospital ... no denying Anne is pretty funny though, I just wish she had a better reason for her animosity). OTOH I don't like Daniel with anyone. I don't like his scenes with Maggie (cheeseballs) and I don't like his scenes with Nicole (they were so much better as potential fuckbuddies than BFFs) and I don't like his scenes with Brady (best friends? To me Brady is still the baby that was born just a few months around Abby's birth, this whole Bristen/Dannifer quad of friendship just makes me roll my eyes ... also the actors never seem as smart as their occupations are supposed to require them to be, granted though I know plenty of slacker doctors and I assume there's plenty of business people who get where they are because Daddy was rich).

Of the men on the list I'm caught by how many are ... not that good actors. Eric Martsolf, James Scott, Shawn Christian, well I don't think SC is awful, but he's pretty average. Martsolf has been put in romances with Sarah Brown and Eileen Davidson and it does show off his limitations. James Scott, I don't even know, I do think he has a certain connection with who his character should be, but it's just things like watching him trying to pull off a villain laugh, it makes me cringe. I've been saying for a while that the male characters who we're supposed to be considering the leading men on the show is depressing: Brady, EJ, Daniel, and Rafe. For EJ and Rafe I can see them having their niche; Brady is the requisite hunk and is just as replaceable as he is necessary. Daniel is a waste of space. But what's the killer is when all four are dominating the show as the male leads at once. I realize Eric/Greg Vaughn is not at the place yet where he can come in and fill out that role, Chandler and Blake are leaving, Sonny and JJ very young and not ready, Justin has been gone for a while and I think using him as secondary first before any potential upscaling in his prominence is wise. The key right now is variety because nobody is in a position where either they're a viable dominant lead or where they're not oversaturated as it is.

The obvious answer IMO is to let your dominant women lead the show. I actually don't mind seeing Kristen and even Sami up there, as long as they had better storylines, and Kristen's should totally involve Marlena. Sami's is drawing in a bit of everyone, including Hope and Marlena, though not much. Jennifer needs a much bigger "plan" to rehaul her, it'd take more long-term foresight and decisiveness.

No real objections to the youngsters, like Chandler and Kate, I just wish they had better stories. The most interesting part of Abby's story is actually the interaction between Chad and Cameron, not between them and her. Chandler's s/l is not bad, quibbles aside.

Arianne Zucker stands out as someone who has been on quite a bit and had nothing really happen to her own storyline. What a shame to make it on the top ten list primarily as a prop for other couples.

I've liked Jen Lilley's arrival on the show overall, TBH, it gives the Bradys a family focal point and reminds us they exist as a unit. She's been on a lot for a newbie, but I don't think it's, for example, as bad as Melanie.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

So, they did work Eileen into the ground, while not using Dee and Kristian. The fact is that Kristen, the character, is best is small doses and without a partner in scheming (such as Peter), she not only winds up in scenes - she often times has all the dialogue in the scenes because she's talking to herself.

It's no wonder Eilleen just said "no more."

And the Dannifer obsession by whomever has deluded themselves into thinking they are the signature pairing of the show is laughable. SC is mediocre on a good day and has been laughably bad the last few weeks.

And the fact that glorified extras like Bev and Rory are on so much highlights the fact that JJ has no peers from core families on the canvas. They need to think about developing Bev and Rory and put them on contract or find a core family character to bring in as a peer for JJ. I would like Bev to be Anne's daughter or niece.

But really, balancing the canvas and moving actors on and off the frontburner works for everyone. Actors don't burn out and audiences get breaks from characters.
Edited by Honeybees, Aug 31 2013, 12:59 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Aug 31 2013, 12:34 PM
So, they did work Eileen into the ground, while not using Dee and Kristian. The fact is that Kristen, the character, is best is small does and without a partner in scheming (such as Peter), she not only winds up in scenes - she often times has all the dialogue in the scenes because she's talking to herself.

It's no wonder Eilleen just said "no more."

And the Dannifer obsession by whomever has deluded themselves into thinking they are the signature pairing of the show is laughable. SC is mediocre on a good day and has been laughably bad the last few weeks.

And the fact that glorified extras like Bev and Rory are on so much highlights the fact that JJ has no peers from core families on the canvas. They need to think about developing Bev and Rory and put them on contract or find a core family character to bring in as a peer for JJ. I would like Bev to be Anne's daughter or niece.

But really, balancing the canvas and moving actors on and off the frontburner works for everyone. Actors don't burn out and audiences get breaks from characters.
Kristen Dimera is, IMHO, the best Days bad girl of all time. The problem is, in my mind, not that Eileen is on top. Once again, it's about who is not at the top with her. Kristen vs. Marlena is just pure soap gold, and helped make Days have another "Golden Age" in the 1990's. How stupid can this regime be to miss that element.

As for Hope, kill Bo off and let her move on. Keeping him alive this long is destroying a very important legacy character. I have been a Bo and Hope fan since the mid 80's as a kid. I watched in horror as she was dumped into acid by Ernesto, but by killing her off, they spared our fan base the horror of watching Hope just leave Bo hanging. They must fix this.
Edited by Daysfanatic79, Aug 31 2013, 01:04 PM.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Daysfanatic79
Aug 31 2013, 12:59 PM
As for Hope, kill Bo off and let her move on. Keeping him alive this long is destroying a very important legacy character. I have been a Bo and Hope fan since the mid 80's as a kid. I watched in horror as she was dumped into acid by Ernesto, but by killing her off, they spared our fan base the horror of watching Hope just leave Bo hanging. They must fix this.
i just keep having to say "THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!"
i think we've all said it at one point or another - there needs to be some sort of resolution to the Bo situation. i wish i could say that i don't care what it is, but i'd be lying.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 01:29 PM
Daysfanatic79
i think we've all said it at one point or another - there needs to be some sort of resolution to the Bo situation. i wish i could say that i don't care what it is, but i'd be lying.
All I have to say, on my part, is he better be presumed dead. If he is in France with Billie, or with Carly in Monte Carlo, I will as I have done before, write this show hate mail. I did it with John's character assassination, and if Bo is anything but dead, I'll leave it short:

"You jumped the shark years ago when you stopped writing for Days and started writing for an audience. I'd say go fuck yourselves, but you seem to be doing a good job at that already."

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Daysfanatic79
Aug 31 2013, 04:23 PM
Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 01:29 PM
Daysfanatic79
All I have to say, on my part, is he better be presumed dead. If he is in France with Billie, or with Carly in Monte Carlo, I will as I have done before, write this show hate mail. I did it with John's character assassination, and if Bo is anything but dead, I'll leave it short:

"You jumped the shark years ago when you stopped writing for Days and started writing for an audience. I'd say go fuck yourselves, but you seem to be doing a good job at that already."
that's what i mean about not being able to say that i don't care how it's resolved. i'm sure Tomlin would just love to write something like Bo got injured while undercover and Carly nursed him back to health and then he decided to try to make it work with her again. (or some related bullshit that ultimately resulted in Bo being with Carly)
there really is no alternative but to make Bo "dead". even with the recent Hope/Julie scenes, we see that Bo & Hope are still together, albeit not physically. Hope is getting frustrated that Bo's still off doing his thing, and that's understandable. i don't see her giving him an ultimatum, because Hope knows it wouldn't work and because she can't reach him.
Hope learning of Bo's "death" would be a great kick-off to her own storyline. Maybe the Hope/Stefano scenes are Hope confronting Stefano about what his involvement may have been in Bo's "death". Hope getting this news prior to Christmas could make for some very emotional and intense scenes during the Christmas episodes. and maybe the single father they were casting could be the person who is ultimately able to help Hope move on with her life. if written correctly, it could be a realistic storyline that viewers could relate to. There could be aspects of Hope's work suffering because she's unable to focus, or she could go completely overboard and explode during an arrest or interrogation which results in repercussions. there are just so many different avenues that could be taken. the ball just needs to get rolling (and hopefully it has).

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

DocandJohn4ever
Aug 31 2013, 12:07 AM
Supergirlx2
Aug 30 2013, 11:04 PM
Quote:

24. Kristian Alfonso (Hope Brady) 5
*. Laura Kai Chen (Melinda Trask) 5
*. Mary Beth Evans (Kayla Brady) 5
*. Deidre Hall (Marlena Evans Black) 5
*. Meredith Scott Lynn (Anne Milbauer) 5
*. James Reynolds (Abe Carver) 5
*. Aloma Wright (Maxine Landis) 5
another month of 5 episodes with Hope :shame:
this is just getting pathetic! we saw Bev in 6 episodes & Rory in 9! and they're basically extras! what the hell!!
55 of 169 episodes all year. that's less than 1/3 of the episodes.

*see last month's episode rankings (and the rest of the previous months for 2013 for the rest of my regular rant about the epic under-utilization of Kristian Alfonso*
I share your anger Deidre is in the same boat as Kristian now :(

ETA: At least when ED leaves it'll free up some airtime for other characters and with her gone I don't see Brady being on as much so thats two people that won't be hogging up the airtime... maybe we'll see more of them in the future :pray:
I agree with those saying that ED has been in too many episodes and been too focused for nothing important or substantial to have happened with her s/l yet. They should have put her on backburner until they had another front burner story for her. Mostly her s/l since the wedding blowup doesn't have any real direction or purpose except for the past few weeks but even that could have qualified as a back burner story. Too much time in front yet nothing happens.

Although I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that ED leaving will free up time for underused characters. If anything that time will go towards more of the same Sami/EJ/Stefano/Bernardi, Rafe/Kate/Jordan/Stefano, Chad/Cameron/Abby, Will/Nick/Sonny/Gabi, and Jen/Dan/Theresa/JJ stories we've been getting for the past few months.

If we're lucky we might get Eric/Nicole, Hope/Ciara/Bo, and Justin/Adrienne

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

MY FEAR:

Once Kristen is gone and the story is over, we will never see Deidre Hall on screen again. I am a "General Days Fan". I am not one of those fans that watch for one couple or character. I love Bo and Hope, John and Marlena, Tony and Anna, Doug and Julie, Justin and Adrienne, Jack and Jennifer, and I could go on....but you get my drift.

Some characters are so iconic, they could hold their own alone like Julie, Alice, Marlena, Laura, Stefano, Victor, or Hope.

The Point I Am Trying To Make: I love the entire show that is lovable, BUT Days without Deidre Hall seems just off, wrong, and shallow.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

It's a sad day when characters like Father Matt, Maxine and Cecily (Stefano's girlfriend) get more airtime than Lucas Horton. Fuck you Days!!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
Aug 31 2013, 08:51 AM
Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 12:32 AM
DocandJohn4ever
Aug 31 2013, 12:26 AM
Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 12:16 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
it is frustrating and it's even more frustrating when they're only on for about 5 min each in one or two scenes in those 5 episodes :frustration: ... and then we get stuck watching the same recycled storylines with the same characters being shoved down our throats day after day.... it's no wonder the ratings are what they are :shame:
unfortunately, i've gotten used to the 5 min thing. it frustrates me more when they're on but spend 1/2 their time in the background - Hope just standing there while Marlena hypnotized Sami, or Hope's 2 scenes before just being in the montage of Bernardi's memorial. and then there's disappearing after 45 min or the final scene looking as if it should have a continuation the next day but doesn't.
Well, this is an opinionated message board, but that's why I come here and love it. There is one overall sentiment here: This Show Sucks Right Now!!!!!!

To not see Kristian and Deidre near the top, and to see the character assassination that we have seen under Tomsell, we are all getting pissed.

Not to mention they haven't just given our favorite couples obstacles and trouble in their relationships to over come. No, instead he's destroyed characters and made sure those couples literally died right in front of us. Would Bo be gone this long from Hope and Ciara? Would John have feelings for Kristen Dimera? It almost feels like they are doing this just in spite.
Would Patch dump and divorce his sweetness by heartlessly sending her a text message?

ArnoldFinnegan
Member Avatar

Since almost every Maxine, Nicole, Eric and Abigail scene involved Dannifer pimping, I'm just going to count their episodes toward Daniel and Jennifer's total number. They finally found a way for Dannifer to exceed 31 episodes a month!

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

ArnoldFinnegan
Aug 31 2013, 07:33 PM
Since almost every Maxine, Nicole, Eric and Abigail scene involved Dannifer pimping, I'm just going to count their episodes toward Daniel and Jennifer's total number. They finally found a way for Dannifer to exceed 31 episodes a month!
Right? Even Kristen/Brady have been heavily pimping Dannifer for the past couple of weeks. It's so ridiculous. I'm surprised we don't have Kate,Rafe,Sami, EJ, Cameron, Will,Sonny, Gabi and Chad pimping the couple yet.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Panda Panda
Aug 31 2013, 08:26 PM
ArnoldFinnegan
Aug 31 2013, 07:33 PM
Right? Even Kristen/Brady have been heavily pimping Dannifer for the past couple of weeks. It's so ridiculous. I'm surprised we don't have Kate,Rafe,Sami, EJ, Cameron, Will,Sonny, Gabi and Chad pimping the couple yet.
Oh, please, don't give them any ideas. I am sure they could figure out a way to have everything that is good that has happened to these characters be the result of Daniel and Dannifer.

jb1183

This show was creatively on fire in May. Now it sucks HARD.

I think people in this thread have brought up a great point. Not only are the people at the top on constantly, but they eat up a disproportionate amount of screentime in the episodes they're in. That's why we're so sick of them.

I've watched soaps for most of my life and there have always been storylines I didn't care for, but I've usually been able to just ignore them and focus on the stories and characters I did like. I'm not even kidding right now when I say that Dannifer is ruining the entire show for me. I don't know what more can possibly be done to let the TPTB know we hate them and can't stand the non stop pimping by other characters, but I'm willing to do practically anything to get them off my screen everyday. I didn't even stop watching during the worst of Higley, but I'm seriously considering stopping if "Days of Dannifer's Lives" doesn't end soon.

And it's preposterous that Marlena has been in half the number of episodes as Kristen when that rivalry should be at the heart of the storyline.
Edited by jb1183, Sep 1 2013, 12:20 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply