Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
August 2013 Episode Rankings & Stats
Topic Started: Aug 30 2013, 10:41 PM (3,563 Views)
Yoryla
Member Avatar

Thank You for these, Jason!!! :)

Very happy to see my Queen Kristen DiMera reigning at the top!!! :cheer: Happy to see it especially now that we know she is leaving!

ED certainly has the grounds to feel overworked, though.

But everyone should just think how this list will look like once she's gone! Take away Kristen and the top four will be: Jennifer, Daniel, Sami and EJ........LOL!
Edited by Yoryla, Sep 1 2013, 06:46 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

jb1183
Sep 1 2013, 12:18 AM
This show was creatively on fire in May. Now it sucks HARD.

I think people in this thread have brought up a great point. Not only are the people at the top on constantly, but they eat up a disproportionate amount of screentime in the episodes they're in. That's why we're so sick of them.

I've watched soaps for most of my life and there have always been storylines I didn't care for, but I've usually been able to just ignore them and focus on the stories and characters I did like. I'm not even kidding right now when I say that Dannifer is ruining the entire show for me. I don't know what more can possibly be done to let the TPTB know we hate them and can't stand the non stop pimping by other characters, but I'm willing to do practically anything to get them off my screen everyday. I didn't even stop watching during the worst of Higley, but I'm seriously considering stopping if "Days of Dannifer's Lives" doesn't end soon.

And it's preposterous that Marlena has been in half the number of episodes as Kristen when that rivalry should be at the heart of the storyline.
Exactly. Once May sweeps was over, the stories and the action came to a screeching halt, and we have day after day, week after week of the same characters speaking the same dialogue and acting in essentially the same scenes. It's tedious and boring. TPTB can't truly believe that the Days audience likes this garbage.

dooldooldool

Supergirlx2
Aug 31 2013, 12:12 AM
Jason47
Aug 31 2013, 12:00 AM
Supergirlx2
Aug 30 2013, 11:19 PM
Jason - with guarantees, does Days have to pay the actors some sort of compensation if they don't come anywhere near their number (ex. their guarantee is 100 episodes, but they only appear in 60 episodes)??
Yes, that's what a guarantee is. If a person is contracted to work 2 per week, then they are guaranteed payment for 100 episodes per year. Of course, the contract can be terminated every 13 weeks, so they are only on the hook for a 13-week cycle at a time.
so basically, by severely underutilizing Kristian (since i find it hard to believe that her guarantee is at about 1), they're losing money. or at least not getting their money's worth.
I'm not sure why everyone finds it so inconceivable that KA signed on for a 1-per-week guarantee. Given what happened with PR, I think it makes total sense that her guarantee is minimal. The economics of 2013 daytime television do not allow lavish spending. That means that "extras" who are likely making union scale are going to be featured more prominently than alleged "stars". There's not much proof that any single person spikes the ratings -- just look at any returned veteran of the past 5 years.

KA seems perfectly content to cheerlead for DOOL and put in her appearances.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

dooldooldool
Sep 2 2013, 10:06 PM
Supergirlx2
Jason47
Supergirlx2
Aug 30 2013, 11:19 PM
Jason - with guarantees, does Days have to pay the actors some sort of compensation if they don't come anywhere near their number (ex. their guarantee is 100 episodes, but they only appear in 60 episodes)??
Yes, that's what a guarantee is. If a person is contracted to work 2 per week, then they are guaranteed payment for 100 episodes per year. Of course, the contract can be terminated every 13 weeks, so they are only on the hook for a 13-week cycle at a time.
so basically, by severely underutilizing Kristian (since i find it hard to believe that her guarantee is at about 1), they're losing money. or at least not getting their money's worth.
I'm not sure why everyone finds it so inconceivable that KA signed on for a 1-per-week guarantee. Given what happened with PR, I think it makes total sense that her guarantee is minimal. The economics of 2013 daytime television do not allow lavish spending. That means that "extras" who are likely making union scale are going to be featured more prominently than alleged "stars". There's not much proof that any single person spikes the ratings -- just look at any returned veteran of the past 5 years.

your theory is flawed in that Alison Sweeney is probably one of the most expensive actresses for Days to keep on their payroll at such a high guarantee. Her contract alone is much more lavish spending than it would be to keep Kristian at a 2 epi/week guarantee.
i don't think Kristian's content to just be a pop-up character. she loves working at Days, yes. but i don't think she would hang around just because they asked her to if there wasn't something drawing her there. i have no doubts that Kristian could go out and snatch up a primetime part - maybe not a lead role right off the bat, but she would definitely be prime casting for a supporting role.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Aug 30 2013, 11:39 PM
NYBlueDevil
Aug 30 2013, 11:33 PM
No wonder I basically hated this month. And looks like next months gonna be more of the same :yawnz:

Never thought I'd be upset with ED being at the top, but Kristen's sucked lately to me
Kristen sucks right now because all she's doing is running around trying to get Brady back and hoping that Eric hasn't remembered what she did to him. she's currently as pathetic a villain as EJ is. and this lack of proper villains is part of the problem. TomSell need to stop with the inane couple drama and put some adventure/mystery back into the show.
Yes! TomSell are very boring and generic writers, nothing ever really happens. I want adventures and mysteries again. New villains who come to Salem creating danger and chaos. It doesn't need big budgets, just those few episodes back in May when Jensen took Nick and Gabi to Smith Island were great.

dooldooldool

Supergirlx2
Sep 2 2013, 10:15 PM
dooldooldool
Supergirlx2
Jason47

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

your theory is flawed in that Alison Sweeney is probably one of the most expensive actresses for Days to keep on their payroll at such a high guarantee. Her contract alone is much more lavish spending than it would be to keep Kristian at a 2 epi/week guarantee.
i don't think Kristian's content to just be a pop-up character. she loves working at Days, yes. but i don't think she would hang around just because they asked her to if there wasn't something drawing her there. i have no doubts that Kristian could go out and snatch up a primetime part - maybe not a lead role right off the bat, but she would definitely be prime casting for a supporting role.
I know this message board despises it, but Alison Sweeney is considered to be the star of DOOL. I have little doubt that if she were to announce her departure, the show would be canceled very quickly.

There is always room in the budget for one diva. Plus, I suspect AS has also taken a per-episode pay cut, balanced out by more appearances, and a nice hefty chunk of dollars as "director".

I think KA has been around long enough to know what was in store. She has left and returned and left and returned. She has seen what has happened to over-40 actresses and as she nears 50, there aren't many other career options. She negotiated whatever contract is currently in force. I have no doubt she loves the show and its heritage -- her rabid tweets prove that. If she has a decent guarantee, she'll gladly cash the cash. If she has a minimal guarantee, she'll gladly cash the check.

If folks want to see the Days Of Hope's Life, they need to find a time machine and head back to the 80s/90s. Her ship has sailed. She may get a juicy moment every so often. And honestly I think she has been used pretty well considering she has no storyline of her own.

Ellie

Thanks as always Jason for your research. There are 2 issues I'm having with all of this:

1) I don't disagree with most of 'dooldooldool''s points about Ali or the show, (I don't like them, but I think they're on target), but my problem is, Ali can't act. Somehow we've arrived at the point where she's the anchor of the show, yet she cannot draw attention to the screen in an emotional scene. We've seen her on shows like "Ellen" - she can be funny and engaging, though I don't personally like what she stands for. Yet NONE of that translates to her portrayal of Sami. She says her lines in a stilted manner, she cannot bring herself to tears after 20 years on a soap, and her "romantic" scenes look like she's just taking an opportunity to do a cross-promotion with her many Shape magazine covers. The show is putting all its eggs in the Ali basket, and imo that's a huge mistake.

2) The ageism. Days minimizes actresses like Deidre and Kristian, yet the #1 soap by far, Y&R, has always featured storylines with the older set. Days holds it as some sort of law that actors and actresses over a certain age can't carry story, but that's absolutely ridiculous. They can, and they'd do it much better than Ali and many of the younger set. If the ratings are any reflection, soap viewers are out there looking for multigenerational stories, and they're not getting them on Days.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

I really don't believe that AS leaving would cancel Days after over 45 years. The writing for the show is the problem. She's just one human. If AS fell down a set of stairs tomorrow, or got a horrible case of the flu that turned terminal, the actresses' family and friends would be devastated. The GA would sadly watch Sami's funeral, and continue watching the show as different characters took front and center, just as they have whenever any other prominant character is no longer in Salem.
Edited by TreasureCove, Sep 3 2013, 07:10 AM.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Sep 2 2013, 10:52 PM
Supergirlx2
Aug 30 2013, 11:39 PM
NYBlueDevil
Aug 30 2013, 11:33 PM
No wonder I basically hated this month. And looks like next months gonna be more of the same :yawnz:

Never thought I'd be upset with ED being at the top, but Kristen's sucked lately to me
Kristen sucks right now because all she's doing is running around trying to get Brady back and hoping that Eric hasn't remembered what she did to him. she's currently as pathetic a villain as EJ is. and this lack of proper villains is part of the problem. TomSell need to stop with the inane couple drama and put some adventure/mystery back into the show.
Yes! TomSell are very boring and generic writers, nothing ever really happens. I want adventures and mysteries again. New villains who come to Salem creating danger and chaos. It doesn't need big budgets, just those few episodes back in May when Jensen took Nick and Gabi to Smith Island were great.

This may be true, but then we come back to what the Sweeps period is all about. Now granted, they might not really even work anymore in a similar way than before. I for one don't really believe that there are these periods in soap watching that hold the most weight and everything should be put at those periods. However, this is the way it currently works, and traditionally Sweeps periods have been the most climaxial. Soaps always have their slower, character interactive periods and then the more action period. It can't be all action all the time. I watch another show which is jam-packed with twist, turns and is quite physical, and imo sometimes it goes too fast. Beats don't get played on. So I don't mind or blame the show for being a bit "slow" at times or right now. Because I know it will get faster and more climaxial again going into October.

Ellie
Sep 3 2013, 03:09 AM
Thanks as always Jason for your research. There are 2 issues I'm having with all of this:

1) I don't disagree with most of 'dooldooldool''s points about Ali or the show, (I don't like them, but I think they're on target), but my problem is, Ali can't act. Somehow we've arrived at the point where she's the anchor of the show, yet she cannot draw attention to the screen in an emotional scene. We've seen her on shows like "Ellen" - she can be funny and engaging, though I don't personally like what she stands for. Yet NONE of that translates to her portrayal of Sami. She says her lines in a stilted manner, she cannot bring herself to tears after 20 years on a soap, and her "romantic" scenes look like she's just taking an opportunity to do a cross-promotion with her many Shape magazine covers. The show is putting all its eggs in the Ali basket, and imo that's a huge mistake.

2) The ageism. Days minimizes actresses like Deidre and Kristian, yet the #1 soap by far, Y&R, has always featured storylines with the older set. Days holds it as some sort of law that actors and actresses over a certain age can't carry story, but that's absolutely ridiculous. They can, and they'd do it much better than Ali and many of the younger set. If the ratings are any reflection, soap viewers are out there looking for multigenerational stories, and they're not getting them on Days.

I also do not think that AS leaving would automatically cancel the show. Granted, she is the star on the show, I actually don't mind that. I liked Sami for years as a bad girl and I was happy that they made her a central figure on the show. What I don't like is if they try to change her character in order for that work, i.e. the Safe pairing, and trying to make Sami a long-suffering, faux-virginal heroine. That's not who she is. So even though Sami has her annoying moments, I like that she is now portrayed true to the core: impulsive, rash, acts before thinks, arrogant, etc. So I like that aspect of it.

And also, I have to say that IMO Sami's prominence on the show has evened out a lot over the year. This time in 2011 there was no doubt about around who the show revolved around, but now there has been a new focal point, I would say in addition to Sami: Kristen. ED coming on last fall clearly made Sami take a backseat. For much of last fall and this spring she was mainly supporting Will's storyline. Even when she got mixed up in the fight with Nick, it was still Will's storyline, of which she was supporting. Only when she shot Bernardi, it became Sami's storyline. And her whole triangle with EJ and Rafe was a B-storyline in my opinion, not A. And even now, although she is one of the A-storylines, she isn't dominating the screen alone. Kristen's is the other one, and I would still even say hers is the most important one. It can be told by Ken Corday's fall preview alone. That's why I'm worried about what will happen once ED leaves, though. I absolutely think that it will not mean more Hope, Marlena, Kayla, Abe, etc. but instead even more of Sami & Daniel. The cake that some might say has been divided in three now (Kristen, Sami, Daniel) will be the same cake divided in two. And frankly, if the additional airtime would go to Rafe/Kate/Jordan or JJ/Theresa, I can't say it would be any better.

Re: the ageism, I have to say, that I don't agree with it. ED is 53 years old, and I have actually many times thought how great, wonderful and rare it is that she has gotten this prominence. On that other show she has been on, she would never get it now. I'm very impressed with the show for that.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

I think it more ageism of people that are the face of days and known as days.crystal that played Carly. Let say she around kristan alfonso age(I have not idea what her age is but no way she younger than Kristan)Eileen Davidson she is around Kristan m alfonso age probably older.both crystal and Eileen may no longer works on days both of them were front center.both Alison Sweeney and Melissa (Jennifer)are the only show vets that are are been use front cener.Alison never been the best actress but in the show at least she trying to do better now half time she phoned her scenes you see her lack of effort and she not really promote the show while Melissa left the show twice both times cause problems first time they had recast and the second time they killed story when they finally use Matt asford and let goMatt Ashford because she left

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Ellie

Yes! Yes! Yes! and Yes! ^

When "Guiding Light" was at one of it's creative peaks in the late 80's to early 90's, SOD was quick to point out that it used characters from every generation, and it made the show feel more rich in substance and real. It may be cancelled now, but that was after they had abandoned that principal.

Y&R has stuck to that principal, and it remains on top. B&B has too, even if the storylines are repetitive and recycled.

Like I said earlier in this thread, or maybe another (LOL, It's 6:30 am here in the East, West Coasters, and I am just getting up) Days has gone down hill so much since the late 90's because the show's writers stopped writing for "Days", with it's mysterious characters and rich adventurous and romantic storylines, and started writing stories aimed at a specific demographic. Guess what, other shows that use it's best vets are beating "Days" in it's most coveted demos.

We have Deidre Hall (A legend and icon),, Kristian Alfonso (A "Days" staple and known outside of soaps by many), Mary Beth Evans (Part of the Brady clan and the centerpiece of "Days" highest rated episode ever), and they let Reckell go without a fight (stupid if you figure in his importance as part of a legendary pairing, and he bridges the shows main families, the Brady's and the Horton's), and work Drake off ( A man who has essentially been the center of so many stories since he arrived on the screen, and part of a supercouple). I could go on, but you see the point.

This show is screwed when you look at what's above, and I agree that Alison Sweeney can't act her way out of a paper bag. She has NEVER been able to act. She SUCKED the moment she first appeared breaking into Roman and Marlena's house, and she SUCKS now.

Sorry for the rant, but Ellie nailing it got be going this morning. She could not be more right.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Yoryla
Sep 3 2013, 06:48 AM

And also, I have to say that IMO Sami's prominence on the show has evened out a lot over the year. This time in 2011 there was no doubt about around who the show revolved around, but now there has been a new focal point, I would say in addition to Sami: Kristen. ED coming on last fall clearly made Sami take a backseat. For much of last fall and this spring she was mainly supporting Will's storyline. Even when she got mixed up in the fight with Nick, it was still Will's storyline, of which she was supporting. Only when she shot Bernardi, it became Sami's storyline. And her whole triangle with EJ and Rafe was a B-storyline in my opinion, not A. And even now, although she is one of the A-storylines, she isn't dominating the screen alone. Kristen's is the other one, and I would still even say hers is the most important one. It can be told by Ken Corday's fall preview alone. That's why I'm worried about what will happen once ED leaves, though. I absolutely think that it will not mean more Hope, Marlena, Kayla, Abe, etc. but instead even more of Sami & Daniel. The cake that some might say has been divided in three now (Kristen, Sami, Daniel) will be the same cake divided in two. And frankly, if the additional airtime would go to Rafe/Kate/Jordan or JJ/Theresa, I can't say it would be any better.

I disagree with this. Will and Gabi were the supporting players in their own storyline. Sami completely took it over. The lead-up to and the bombshell drop at the wedding should have focused on Nabi and Wilson. Instead it was about Sami's snatch.

For all intents and purposes, Sami was written as the father of that baby, while Will moped around doing diddly-squat.

And we are seeing every boring minute of Sami stomping around that cell while getting special privileges like visit after visit and video's and phone calls while half the town of Salem -(except Brady he isn't allowed for some reason, though Kristen is :ermm: ) line up to kiss her ass.
Edited by TreasureCove, Sep 3 2013, 07:27 AM.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Sep 3 2013, 07:20 AM
Yoryla

I disagree with this. Will and Gabi were the supporting players in their own storyline. Sami completely took it over. The lead-up to and the bombshell drop at the wedding should have focused on Nabi and Wilson. Instead it was about Sami's snatch.

For all intents and purposes, Sami was written as the father of that baby, while Will moped around doing diddly-squat.

And we are seeing every boring minute of Sami stomping around that cell while getting special privileges like visit after visit and video's and phone calls while half the town of Salem -(except Brady he isn't allowed for some reason, though Kristen is :ermm: ) line up to kiss her ass.
It cannot be disputed that Alison Sweeney has been the very epicenter of every important storyline on this show the better part of the last decade or more. She has not taken a backseat, or even a break when on maternity leave because she so "essential". They will literally tape ahead, or use a male prototype just to have her character as the center.

Guess what? Like others and I have said, she can't act. It would be bad enough if she were front and center when other truly essential characters were given no real storyline, but the fact that she is wooden, and does not understand the art of acting on a soap, makes it even more atrocious.

Keith
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
Sep 3 2013, 06:58 AM
Ellie

Yes! Yes! Yes! and Yes! ^

When "Guiding Light" was at one of it's creative peaks in the late 80's to early 90's, SOD was quick to point out that it used characters from every generation, and it made the show feel more rich in substance and real. It may be cancelled now, but that was after they had abandoned that principal.

Y&R has stuck to that principal, and it remains on top. B&B has too, even if the storylines are repetitive and recycled.

Like I said earlier in this thread, or maybe another (LOL, It's 6:30 am here in the East, West Coasters, and I am just getting up) Days has gone down hill so much since the late 90's because the show's writers stopped writing for "Days", with it's mysterious characters and rich adventurous and romantic storylines, and started writing stories aimed at a specific demographic. Guess what, other shows that use it's best vets are beating "Days" in it's most coveted demos.

We have Deidre Hall (A legend and icon),, Kristian Alfonso (A "Days" staple and known outside of soaps by many), Mary Beth Evans (Part of the Brady clan and the centerpiece of "Days" highest rated episode ever), and they let Reckell go without a fight (stupid if you figure in his importance as part of a legendary pairing, and he bridges the shows main families, the Brady's and the Horton's), and work Drake off ( A man who has essentially been the center of so many stories since he arrived on the screen, and part of a supercouple). I could go on, but you see the point.

This show is screwed when you look at what's above, and I agree that Alison Sweeney can't act her way out of a paper bag. She has NEVER been able to act. She SUCKED the moment she first appeared breaking into Roman and Marlena's house, and she SUCKS now.

Sorry for the rant, but Ellie nailing it got be going this morning. She could not be more right.
The shows failure to "pass the torch" successfully is inherently entrenched in the idea that the previous generation has to disappear in order for the new one to work. Y&R, B&B, and lately to an extent GH do it better. Multigenerational is what soaps are supposed to be about. Will it ever happen again on DAYS?

Ellie

Thanks, Daysfanatic79 - completely agree with what you're saying! I wonder what JER would have done if he'd been given the directive to put Ali front and center. He seemed to realize who could act and who couldn't, and in his Days world, Ali was never more than a B storyline character.

I wanted to address the "if Ali left, Days would be canceled" point. I wasn't the one who made the original point, but my post implied I agreed with it. I don't think it would be like, if Ali said on Monday that she were leaving, Days would be canceled on Tuesday. But I could see a scenario where if NBC were wavering as to whether to renew the show, the thought of a Days without their beloved Ali would put them over the top and cause them to just say, forget it. That's not to say that Corday and Sony couldn't negotiate around that, or that even in a worst-case scenario, Days couldn't continue without NBC. But I think to NBC, sadly, Ali is Days at this point.

As for Eileen, and someone also brought up Crystal, I don't think they prove that Days isn't ageist. What they prove to me is that members of TPTB can have favorites and promote their favorites as much as they want. It's not like now that Eileen's leaving, someone's saying, wow, now I see that an actress in her 50's can have a love scene. They're saying, when can we have her back for a few shows so we can show her in bed again. Same with Crystal - the only reason things changed after she left is that a new writing regime took over. She didn't "prove" to anyone that women of her age could carry story. Either way, if anyone here is interpreting Kristen going to bed with a boy she once mothered as multigenerational story, then I think they're missing my point.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Sep 3 2013, 07:20 AM
Yoryla

OMG! So much this!!

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

dooldooldool
Sep 3 2013, 02:11 AM
Supergirlx2
Sep 2 2013, 10:15 PM
dooldooldool
Supergirlx2

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I know this message board despises it, but Alison Sweeney is considered to be the star of DOOL. I have little doubt that if she were to announce her departure, the show would be canceled very quickly.

There is always room in the budget for one diva. Plus, I suspect AS has also taken a per-episode pay cut, balanced out by more appearances, and a nice hefty chunk of dollars as "director".

I think KA has been around long enough to know what was in store. She has left and returned and left and returned. She has seen what has happened to over-40 actresses and as she nears 50, there aren't many other career options. She negotiated whatever contract is currently in force. I have no doubt she loves the show and its heritage -- her rabid tweets prove that. If she has a decent guarantee, she'll gladly cash the cash. If she has a minimal guarantee, she'll gladly cash the check.

If folks want to see the Days Of Hope's Life, they need to find a time machine and head back to the 80s/90s. Her ship has sailed. She may get a juicy moment every so often. And honestly I think she has been used pretty well considering she has no storyline of her own.
No one's talking about watching the "Days of Hope's Life". and no one is expecting TPTB to put her front and center (though they did that with Kristen & Jen, so that kinda creates an automatic argument point against not using older actresses).
I took a skim through posts written after this one, and I have to echo the comment about Y&R still using the "older" actors prominently. Characters like Hope, Kayla, Marlena, Kate, etc. aren't old. They're middle aged. There should be a storyline for them, whether it's corporate, a mystery, or revenge (or whatever). They don't necessarily have to be the main focus of the story they're part of, but they should play a visible role, not just pop up when the writers thought they might be useful.
After Kristian left in the 80s, she found success on Falcon Crest. Her return to Days in 1990 was only supposed to be a brief one because she was pregnant and on break from FC. I forget why she returned in 1994, though i'm pretty sure it wasn't her going to the show asking to be written back into it. So this whole "she left, came back, left again" statement isn't quite true because of the reasons. Over-40 actresses are all over our screens - from Law & Order: SVU, to The Good Wife, to various sitcoms. There are always new shows being created that need middle-aged women, so there would be tons of career options.
As for Ali, the show needs to stop thinking as though the show will crash and burn if she were to leave. If they want to know what it would be like, they could have Sami go away somewhere for a few weeks, instead of constantly trying to make sure that "Sami's never missing from the show". Other people have said it before - Sami shouldn't still be front and center like she was 15 years ago when she was the "youth" age group. Sami's a grandmother now. And as such, she can join the other grandmothers in pop-up land. (yeah, i know. it ain't gonna happen, but it doesn't change my view on the situation)

AHM

How can Dan and Jennifer still be getting so much screen time? They've never been interesting. Jack was always the story driving half of Jack and Jennifer. I don't get it. I simply cannot see the appeal of Dan and Jennifer, and I know I'd just be bored with them, even if I weren't a JnJ fan. I suppose DAYS must be getting some kind of information that they're popular, as they've been front and center far longer than I ever would have expected them to be, and that just baffles me. How can anyone care about this couple? Weird.

AHM

Admittedly, I haven't watched in a long time, and I'm basing Dan and Jennifer being dull on what I've seen of them in the past and on the spoilers not sounding interesting.
Edited by AHM, Sep 3 2013, 10:08 AM.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 3 2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks, Daysfanatic79 - completely agree with what you're saying! I wonder what JER would have done if he'd been given the directive to put Ali front and center. He seemed to realize who could act and who couldn't, and in his Days world, Ali was never more than a B storyline character.

I wanted to address the "if Ali left, Days would be canceled" point. I wasn't the one who made the original point, but my post implied I agreed with it. I don't think it would be like, if Ali said on Monday that she were leaving, Days would be canceled on Tuesday. But I could see a scenario where if NBC were wavering as to whether to renew the show, the thought of a Days without their beloved Ali would put them over the top and cause them to just say, forget it. That's not to say that Corday and Sony couldn't negotiate around that, or that even in a worst-case scenario, Days couldn't continue without NBC. But I think to NBC, sadly, Ali is Days at this point.

As for Eileen, and someone also brought up Crystal, I don't think they prove that Days isn't ageist. What they prove to me is that members of TPTB can have favorites and promote their favorites as much as they want. It's not like now that Eileen's leaving, someone's saying, wow, now I see that an actress in her 50's can have a love scene. They're saying, when can we have her back for a few shows so we can show her in bed again. Same with Crystal - the only reason things changed after she left is that a new writing regime took over. She didn't "prove" to anyone that women of her age could carry story. Either way, if anyone here is interpreting Kristen going to bed with a boy she once mothered as multigenerational story, then I think they're missing my point.
JER always...ALWAYS wrote for the characters that mattered and the couples that belonged together and the fans could identify with. Take Drake and Deidre as an example. He KNEW he had to carry through with what Sheri started because it was pure gold. He put us through hell waiting for the end game, but that's what all the writing greats do. Look at how Bill Bell wrote for Doug and Julie. He hit gold, and made us long for a good payoff.

TO YOUR WISE POINT ELLIE: The entire reason why this story has revolved around Kristen/Brady/Eric is ageism. It's clear that Kristen should have come back to join Stefano to destroy John and Marlena's world, and instead they brushed by it briefly and never gave it any closer . Instead, they take the route they are taking and putting us through story that should involve Marlena and John in a HUGE way. That's ageism at it's finest. BTW: Thanks for the thanks :smile:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply