Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
August 2013 Episode Rankings & Stats
Topic Started: Aug 30 2013, 10:41 PM (3,544 Views)
NYBlueDevil
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Sep 3 2013, 07:20 AM
Yoryla
Sep 3 2013, 06:48 AM

And also, I have to say that IMO Sami's prominence on the show has evened out a lot over the year. This time in 2011 there was no doubt about around who the show revolved around, but now there has been a new focal point, I would say in addition to Sami: Kristen. ED coming on last fall clearly made Sami take a backseat. For much of last fall and this spring she was mainly supporting Will's storyline. Even when she got mixed up in the fight with Nick, it was still Will's storyline, of which she was supporting. Only when she shot Bernardi, it became Sami's storyline. And her whole triangle with EJ and Rafe was a B-storyline in my opinion, not A. And even now, although she is one of the A-storylines, she isn't dominating the screen alone. Kristen's is the other one, and I would still even say hers is the most important one. It can be told by Ken Corday's fall preview alone. That's why I'm worried about what will happen once ED leaves, though. I absolutely think that it will not mean more Hope, Marlena, Kayla, Abe, etc. but instead even more of Sami & Daniel. The cake that some might say has been divided in three now (Kristen, Sami, Daniel) will be the same cake divided in two. And frankly, if the additional airtime would go to Rafe/Kate/Jordan or JJ/Theresa, I can't say it would be any better.

I disagree with this. Will and Gabi were the supporting players in their own storyline. Sami completely took it over. The lead-up to and the bombshell drop at the wedding should have focused on Nabi and Wilson. Instead it was about Sami's snatch.

For all intents and purposes, Sami was written as the father of that baby, while Will moped around doing diddly-squat.

And we are seeing every boring minute of Sami stomping around that cell while getting special privileges like visit after visit and video's and phone calls while half the town of Salem -(except Brady he isn't allowed for some reason, though Kristen is :ermm: ) line up to kiss her ass.
My sister thought Nick and Sami were having a baby cause they took over the story
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Yoryla
Sindacco
Sep 2 2013, 10:52 PM
Supergirlx2
Aug 30 2013, 11:39 PM
NYBlueDevil
Aug 30 2013, 11:33 PM
No wonder I basically hated this month. And looks like next months gonna be more of the same :yawnz:

Never thought I'd be upset with ED being at the top, but Kristen's sucked lately to me
Kristen sucks right now because all she's doing is running around trying to get Brady back and hoping that Eric hasn't remembered what she did to him. she's currently as pathetic a villain as EJ is. and this lack of proper villains is part of the problem. TomSell need to stop with the inane couple drama and put some adventure/mystery back into the show.
Yes! TomSell are very boring and generic writers, nothing ever really happens. I want adventures and mysteries again. New villains who come to Salem creating danger and chaos. It doesn't need big budgets, just those few episodes back in May when Jensen took Nick and Gabi to Smith Island were great.

This may be true, but then we come back to what the Sweeps period is all about. Now granted, they might not really even work anymore in a similar way than before. I for one don't really believe that there are these periods in soap watching that hold the most weight and everything should be put at those periods. However, this is the way it currently works, and traditionally Sweeps periods have been the most climaxial. Soaps always have their slower, character interactive periods and then the more action period. It can't be all action all the time. I watch another show which is jam-packed with twist, turns and is quite physical, and imo sometimes it goes too fast. Beats don't get played on. So I don't mind or blame the show for being a bit "slow" at times or right now. Because I know it will get faster and more climaxial again going into October.

Ellie
Sep 3 2013, 03:09 AM
Thanks as always Jason for your research. There are 2 issues I'm having with all of this:

1) I don't disagree with most of 'dooldooldool''s points about Ali or the show, (I don't like them, but I think they're on target), but my problem is, Ali can't act. Somehow we've arrived at the point where she's the anchor of the show, yet she cannot draw attention to the screen in an emotional scene. We've seen her on shows like "Ellen" - she can be funny and engaging, though I don't personally like what she stands for. Yet NONE of that translates to her portrayal of Sami. She says her lines in a stilted manner, she cannot bring herself to tears after 20 years on a soap, and her "romantic" scenes look like she's just taking an opportunity to do a cross-promotion with her many Shape magazine covers. The show is putting all its eggs in the Ali basket, and imo that's a huge mistake.

2) The ageism. Days minimizes actresses like Deidre and Kristian, yet the #1 soap by far, Y&R, has always featured storylines with the older set. Days holds it as some sort of law that actors and actresses over a certain age can't carry story, but that's absolutely ridiculous. They can, and they'd do it much better than Ali and many of the younger set. If the ratings are any reflection, soap viewers are out there looking for multigenerational stories, and they're not getting them on Days.

I also do not think that AS leaving would automatically cancel the show. Granted, she is the star on the show, I actually don't mind that. I liked Sami for years as a bad girl and I was happy that they made her a central figure on the show. What I don't like is if they try to change her character in order for that work, i.e. the Safe pairing, and trying to make Sami a long-suffering, faux-virginal heroine. That's not who she is. So even though Sami has her annoying moments, I like that she is now portrayed true to the core: impulsive, rash, acts before thinks, arrogant, etc. So I like that aspect of it.

And also, I have to say that IMO Sami's prominence on the show has evened out a lot over the year. This time in 2011 there was no doubt about around who the show revolved around, but now there has been a new focal point, I would say in addition to Sami: Kristen. ED coming on last fall clearly made Sami take a backseat. For much of last fall and this spring she was mainly supporting Will's storyline. Even when she got mixed up in the fight with Nick, it was still Will's storyline, of which she was supporting. Only when she shot Bernardi, it became Sami's storyline. And her whole triangle with EJ and Rafe was a B-storyline in my opinion, not A. And even now, although she is one of the A-storylines, she isn't dominating the screen alone. Kristen's is the other one, and I would still even say hers is the most important one. It can be told by Ken Corday's fall preview alone. That's why I'm worried about what will happen once ED leaves, though. I absolutely think that it will not mean more Hope, Marlena, Kayla, Abe, etc. but instead even more of Sami & Daniel. The cake that some might say has been divided in three now (Kristen, Sami, Daniel) will be the same cake divided in two. And frankly, if the additional airtime would go to Rafe/Kate/Jordan or JJ/Theresa, I can't say it would be any better.

Re: the ageism, I have to say, that I don't agree with it. ED is 53 years old, and I have actually many times thought how great, wonderful and rare it is that she has gotten this prominence. On that other show she has been on, she would never get it now. I'm very impressed with the show for that.
I agree that Sami is not the one and only anymore on the show. Kristen has recieved a great deal of story since ED came back. Not to mention Daniel and Jennifer - that story has been uninterrupted for a long while now. These are my thoughts regarding the characters: When ED leaves the show, more screen time will obviously be made available for others. I know I'm a bit of a lone wolf regarding this opinion: I'm not interested in seeing Hope, Marlena, Kayla and Abe in an A-story. Why? Because these characters simply do not speak to me. It's not that I don't like the characters - it's just that I long for a story driven by an anti-heroine and an anti-hero. I find these kinds of characters a bit more fascinating - they get me hooked. The characters which drove stories back in the 90's... I don't think that is what's on demand today. Therefore, I consider Sami to be much more interesting than the others. But of course - the very writing (storytelling) needs some improvements as well.
Edited by The Scorpion, Sep 3 2013, 03:37 PM.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Lucas was an anti hero... So why can't he drive story? For at least a little? Cause the band if idiots at Days doesn't want it to happen.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Yoryla
This may be true, but then we come back to what the Sweeps period is all about. Now granted, they might not really even work anymore in a similar way than before. I for one don't really believe that there are these periods in soap watching that hold the most weight and everything should be put at those periods. However, this is the way it currently works, and traditionally Sweeps periods have been the most climaxial. Soaps always have their slower, character interactive periods and then the more action period. It can't be all action all the time. I watch another show which is jam-packed with twist, turns and is quite physical, and imo sometimes it goes too fast. Beats don't get played on. So I don't mind or blame the show for being a bit "slow" at times or right now. Because I know it will get faster and more climaxial again going into October.

Putting all the storyline climaxes during sweeps is something they have been doing more in recent years. In the past big stuff happened when the writers wanted it happen. Like the Secret Room climax in June or Carrie stopping Sami and Austin's wedding in September, and there are many more examples. Another difference was that they didn't have big stuff for every story during the same time. When one story reached it's major finale, another was in the middle, while a third might have just started. Because of that, there never really were any real slow periods because something was always happening.

concerned
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Sep 3 2013, 03:52 PM
Yoryla

Putting all the storyline climaxes during sweeps is something they have been doing more in recent years. In the past big stuff happened when the writers wanted it happen. Like the Secret Room climax in June or Carrie stopping Sami and Austin's wedding in September, and there are many more examples. Another difference was that they didn't have big stuff for every story during the same time. When one story reached it's major finale, another was in the middle, while a third might have just started. Because of that, there never really were any real slow periods because something was always happening.

And the writers timed it better.

Now we seem to be in constant holding patterns where the same stuff happens day in day out because they are saving their next big move up for sweeps.

If everyone stops watching in between because its so dull there won't be as many people around to make numbers for sweeps.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Keith
Sep 3 2013, 08:37 AM
Daysfanatic79
Sep 3 2013, 06:58 AM
Ellie
Thanks as always Jason for your research. There are 2 issues I'm having with all of this:

1) I don't disagree with most of 'dooldooldool''s points about Ali or the show, (I don't like them, but I think they're on target), but my problem is, Ali can't act. Somehow we've arrived at the point where she's the anchor of the show, yet she cannot draw attention to the screen in an emotional scene. We've seen her on shows like "Ellen" - she can be funny and engaging, though I don't personally like what she stands for. Yet NONE of that translates to her portrayal of Sami. She says her lines in a stilted manner, she cannot bring herself to tears after 20 years on a soap, and her "romantic" scenes look like she's just taking an opportunity to do a cross-promotion with her many Shape magazine covers. The show is putting all its eggs in the Ali basket, and imo that's a huge mistake.

2) The ageism. Days minimizes actresses like Deidre and Kristian, yet the #1 soap by far, Y&R, has always featured storylines with the older set. Days holds it as some sort of law that actors and actresses over a certain age can't carry story, but that's absolutely ridiculous. They can, and they'd do it much better than Ali and many of the younger set. If the ratings are any reflection, soap viewers are out there looking for multigenerational stories, and they're not getting them on Days.
Yes! Yes! Yes! and Yes! ^

When "Guiding Light" was at one of it's creative peaks in the late 80's to early 90's, SOD was quick to point out that it used characters from every generation, and it made the show feel more rich in substance and real. It may be cancelled now, but that was after they had abandoned that principal.

Y&R has stuck to that principal, and it remains on top. B&B has too, even if the storylines are repetitive and recycled.

Like I said earlier in this thread, or maybe another (LOL, It's 6:30 am here in the East, West Coasters, and I am just getting up) Days has gone down hill so much since the late 90's because the show's writers stopped writing for "Days", with it's mysterious characters and rich adventurous and romantic storylines, and started writing stories aimed at a specific demographic. Guess what, other shows that use it's best vets are beating "Days" in it's most coveted demos.

We have Deidre Hall (A legend and icon),, Kristian Alfonso (A "Days" staple and known outside of soaps by many), Mary Beth Evans (Part of the Brady clan and the centerpiece of "Days" highest rated episode ever), and they let Reckell go without a fight (stupid if you figure in his importance as part of a legendary pairing, and he bridges the shows main families, the Brady's and the Horton's), and work Drake off ( A man who has essentially been the center of so many stories since he arrived on the screen, and part of a supercouple). I could go on, but you see the point.

This show is screwed when you look at what's above, and I agree that Alison Sweeney can't act her way out of a paper bag. She has NEVER been able to act. She SUCKED the moment she first appeared breaking into Roman and Marlena's house, and she SUCKS now.

Sorry for the rant, but Ellie nailing it got be going this morning. She could not be more right.
The shows failure to "pass the torch" successfully is inherently entrenched in the idea that the previous generation has to disappear in order for the new one to work. Y&R, B&B, and lately to an extent GH do it better. Multigenerational is what soaps are supposed to be about. Will it ever happen again on DAYS?
As an answer to this, isn't multigenerational storytelling and passing the torch just *not* what people want? I mean, that means less of the "older people" and more of the younger ones. Or that the older people are just supporting, which many have dubbed not used properly. It can't be had both ways.

As for Y&R, they most certainly are not using their legendary veteran cast approriately. Their A-storylines and most important characters are 30-somethings, and mostly newbies.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

The Scorpion
Sep 3 2013, 03:35 PM
Yoryla
Sindacco
Supergirlx2

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Yes! TomSell are very boring and generic writers, nothing ever really happens. I want adventures and mysteries again. New villains who come to Salem creating danger and chaos. It doesn't need big budgets, just those few episodes back in May when Jensen took Nick and Gabi to Smith Island were great.

Ellie

I also do not think that AS leaving would automatically cancel the show. Granted, she is the star on the show, I actually don't mind that. I liked Sami for years as a bad girl and I was happy that they made her a central figure on the show. What I don't like is if they try to change her character in order for that work, i.e. the Safe pairing, and trying to make Sami a long-suffering, faux-virginal heroine. That's not who she is. So even though Sami has her annoying moments, I like that she is now portrayed true to the core: impulsive, rash, acts before thinks, arrogant, etc. So I like that aspect of it.

Re: the ageism, I have to say, that I don't agree with it. ED is 53 years old, and I have actually many times thought how great, wonderful and rare it is that she has gotten this prominence. On that other show she has been on, she would never get it now. I'm very impressed with the show for that.
I agree that Sami is not the one and only anymore on the show. Kristen has recieved a great deal of story since ED came back. Not to mention Daniel and Jennifer - that story has been uninterrupted for a long while now. These are my thoughts regarding the characters: When ED leaves the show, more screen time will obviously be made available for others. I know I'm a bit of a lone wolf regarding this opinion: I'm not interested in seeing Hope, Marlena, Kayla and Abe in an A-story. Why? Because these characters simply do not speak to me. It's not that I don't like the characters - it's just that I long for a story driven by an anti-heroine and an anti-hero. I find these kinds of characters a bit more fascinating - they get me hooked. The characters which drove stories back in the 90's... I don't think that is what's on demand today. Therefore, I consider Sami to be much more interesting than the others. But of course - the very writing (storytelling) needs some improvements as well.
I'm exactly the opposite. I long for a story where a true hero or heroine gets fleshed out and their own POV, and not the anti-hero / anti-heroine narrative that Days has been serving up for the last decade. Days lost its true axis somewhere in the 2000's -- the 90's stories were still driven by the drama between archetypes (Marlena vs. Kristen, Sami vs. Carrie, Hope vs. Billie) , but there is no balance when only the bad girl or bad boy gets their motives and emotional lives fleshed out, and the hero or heroine characters are offscreen, written with one dimension, or non-existent (Kayla vs. Ava, Marlena vs. Kristen round two). Part of that reflects that Days' particular heroine formula doesn't age well as the characters do -- part of the reason that killing Bo off seems to be one of the few options for Hope right now -- but it's not like the so-called anti-hero characters (particularly Sami and Kristen) have developed credibly either. Kristen telling me in dialogue that she is fascinating doesn't make it so, it just makes me roll my eyes at how the writers are enthralled with their own work.

I'm relieved that Eileen is leaving because what they gave her didn't appeal to me at all, but I'm not sure I'll pick up Days again unless the story really picks up. Besides, GH is getting good again and still understands how to work with these soap staples.
Edited by granolagirl, Sep 4 2013, 02:05 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

michr544125
Aug 31 2013, 08:44 AM
GH is a million times better. They hit a slump for a couple of months after the new writers took over but found their way back. Talk about better cast integration and things actually happening story wise every day. It is seriously action packed almost every episode with various interesting stories going on.
The difference between GH and Days when it comes to story mechanics is like night and day. GH has stories... Days has situations.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
Sep 3 2013, 06:58 AM
We have Deidre Hall (A legend and icon),, Kristian Alfonso (A "Days" staple and known outside of soaps by many), Mary Beth Evans (Part of the Brady clan and the centerpiece of "Days" highest rated episode ever),
And a Days legend in her own right.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Keith
Aug 30 2013, 11:24 PM
Also, as much as I hate to say it - MBE is recurring (even if she shouldn't be) and KA is contract - and they're in the same amount of episodes.
You have to average in that Mary Beth didn't appear at all for about two months last spring.

Contract and non-contract shouldn't matter so much. On GH, you can't often tell who is contracted and who isn't, and the show is better for it.

S loves EJ

The Scorpion
Sep 3 2013, 03:35 PM
Yoryla
Sindacco
Supergirlx2

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Ellie

Im not sure if Im interested in other characters than Sami and EJ either. I do like Kristen but she is leaving. I do see however that other people are interested in Hope, Kayla, Lucas etc so I think it would be good for the show and the ratings if the writers wrote for everyone. Still I have been a little more interested in other characters aswell than before so maybe with interesting storylines for them maybe I could get interested in them too.

After a private conversation with someone I have realized that pairing a rapist with his victim is a lot more complicated than I wanted to see. Rape is a horrible crime that should be treated in a responsible way. While I hope it wont change how I feel about Ejami and Im personally fine with them being paired, if I was a headwriter I would have handle it differently and more resposible and would have gone with Lumi specially since viewers are so divided in the issue.

Keith
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Sep 4 2013, 01:30 AM
Keith
Aug 30 2013, 11:24 PM
Also, as much as I hate to say it - MBE is recurring (even if she shouldn't be) and KA is contract - and they're in the same amount of episodes.
You have to average in that Mary Beth didn't appear at all for about two months last spring.

Contract and non-contract shouldn't matter so much. On GH, you can't often tell who is contracted and who isn't, and the show is better for it.
I would kill for the balance to be that good.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply