Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Harry Connick Jr. Lands Third 'Al' Judge Spot
Topic Started: Aug 31 2013, 03:03 PM (990 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Harry Connick Jr. Lands Third 'American Idol' Judge Spot

Harry Connick Jr. is returning to American Idol -- this time, in a judge's seat.

The singer, who has appeared on the Fox reality competition multiple times as a mentor and performer, is inking a deal to serve as a judge alongside Keith Urban and Jennifer Lopez on the upcoming 13th season, a source close to the show tells The Hollywood Reporter.

The news comes one week after THR revealed that Dr. Luke, previously considered a frontrunner for the position, dropped out of negotiations due to a conflict with his label at Sony Music. (Sony rival Universal Music Group holds exclusive rights to American Idol recordings.)

Earlier this week, THR reported that Connick was a contender for the gig as Fox was reluctant to bring another woman on board after last season's friction between Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj, which did not play well with the show's key older female demographic. While the network had hoped to bring an industry professional into the mix, time is of the essence. Had the show not signed a third judge soon, production could have faced a delay.

On Thursday evening, Idol producer Simon Fuller hosted a small party in the champagne room of Los Angeles hotspot Bouchon with series mainstay Randy Jackson (who will move from judge to mentor in the upcoming season), Urban, Lopez and Connick on hand to toast the forthcoming announcement.
Friday morning, Ryan Seacrest set fans' tongues wagging with a tweet: "Got some @AmericanIdol news for you coming very soon…"
Fox declined to comment.

Justin Bieber's manager Scooter Braun had been widely reported as the show's next likely candidate after Dr. Luke was officially out, but Braun reportedly passed on the opportunity.

Source: THR
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I'm actually going to watch the upcoming season now that they've finally gotten Harry on board as a judge. I've been ranting on here about wanting him as a judge since Simon left.

:yahoo:

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Good choice!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I think Harry will make a great judge. I'm still not sold on Jennifer's return. Then again, I didn't watch a single season when she judged, so I don't know how she is as a judge. She certainly wasn't enough of a pull to get me to watch her seasons as a judge though.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

About bloody time.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Aug 31 2013, 07:05 PM
I think Harry will make a great judge. I'm still not sold on Jennifer's return. Then again, I didn't watch a single season when she judged, so I don't know how she is as a judge. She certainly wasn't enough of a pull to get me to watch her seasons as a judge though.
Honestly in the audition rounds of the first season Jennifer Lopez was good and honest. She gave constructive criticism to people. Then when they got to the live shows something changed. It was like people behind the scenes were telling her she was too honest and that people wouldn't like her like that. So she completely changed and have pointless comments.

Harry is really good when he has been on as a mentor. I don't know if be will be able to keep that up as a judge or if someone will get to him about being more like able instead of honest.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Harry Connick Jr = Epic!

One of the best hirings I have seen this show make ever.

King
Member Avatar

I am going to skip this season, I think.
Edited by King, Sep 12 2013, 06:20 PM.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

I heard former producer Nigel is pissed because he wanted these judges last season.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I read that too.

I don't get the point of firing Nigel and the other producer if they're going with the same concept of three famous judges. If you're going to overhaul it, do it for real.

I will check it out though (unless the commercials are sappy again- I need auditions like they had Season 1, making fun of delusional people) because I'm curious how Randy will be as a mentor. He was crap as a judge, imho. I wonder if he'll be able to pull out specific criticism.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply