Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
OLTL to remain on Indefinite Hiatus
Topic Started: Sep 3 2013, 09:39 AM (3,243 Views)
etfan1

OLTL To Remain On Indefinite Hiatus

By SOD • Posted: Sep 3, 2013

A bombshell was tucked inside an interview with Prospect Park chief Jeff Kwatinetz in the L.A. Times: While AMC's writing team is hard at work on its upcoming second season (which still has no production start date), the paper reports that PP is "shelving" OLTL "until the ABC lawsuit is resolved." As viewers who have followed the real-life drama surrounding the series' reboot know, PP filed a multimillion dollar lawsuit against ABC arguing that GENERAL HOSPITAL damaged OLTL's chances of success with its treatment of the former Llanview residents that moved to Port Charles (namely Todd, Starr and John) by inducing their portrayers not to join OLTL, and by killing off characters including Cole, Hope and the unborn son of Téa and Victor. Read the original story here: http://rdsn.net/buzz/2013/09/03/prospect-park-to-shelve-one-life-to-live....

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/oltl-remain-indefinite-hiatus
Edited by etfan1, Sep 3 2013, 09:40 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Not surprised. I think a lot of people saw this coming. The only surprise is that they're allowing the AMC writers work. Maybe that show will be back for awhile but this halfassed outfit PP isn't gonna bring back OLTL, lawsuit or no. Amateur night in Dixie from the beginning. And its not because they're rinventing the wheel. Regardless of their primary " distribution method " they're a production company and the show is also being broadcast on conventional television. They're just a slipshod company.

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

I don't trust Prospect Park as far as I could throw them. Hopefully this will all clear up once the suit is settled - but I'm not holding my breath.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

These people are pure hacks....I feel very badly for the AMC & OLTL fans...this must be PURE torture to them.

Manny
Member Avatar

I don't watch AMC or OLTL.. but my God! How are these people expecting any of these shows to succeed if they keep shutting them down?! What a bunch of bad business moves...

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

I'm a AMC & OLTL fan and I'm not surprised PP has done this. They have never failed to dissapoint. I feel so bad for the actors... Just when they think
all is good it's another set back.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

It's probably a good thing that I have never been able to access the shows on my device. I'd be even more disgusted if I'd had a chance to watch again.

Mason
Member Avatar

In other words they're failing to extort the money from ABC that they thought they could use to fund these shows.

Bremol
Member Avatar

I'm not in the least surprised. I found it odd that OLTL ended earlier than AMC...it was sort of like OLTL was the redheaded step-child again. And what'dya know...it is.

Though, to be truthful, after having watched AMC's finale...I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that it's on 'indefinite hiatus' as well. PP should have never brought the shows back. I hate to say that, but it would have been better for the fans if the shows had just stayed gone.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

The lawsuit is lame excuse. OLTL was just flat out boring and that is writing. They got the three characters back they wanted, except only wrote for one of them. And who actually thought Hope, Cole and Tea's unborn child were critical characters that the whole show hinged on them being there. This just another instance where they blame everyone else instead of themselves. JMO

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

Quote:

OLTL was flat out boring and that is writing.

IMO OLTL wasn't boring at all. The writing was better than some other soap operas.
Edited by bellajewel, Sep 3 2013, 06:32 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I'm glad I didn't get too invested in it then, it wasn't the same anyway. I don't get why not just admit it's over? Lawsuits drag on for years, especially against the pockets of the Mouse!

I'll remember OLTL ending in January 2012. They had a great finale week, that's what I'll think of as their final moments.

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

OT: Oh...Oh Kermit...just seriously... :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Tammy
Member Avatar

Ugh why is it always OLTL??? lol

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Mason
Sep 3 2013, 04:36 PM
In other words they're failing to extort the money from ABC that they thought they could use to fund these shows.
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Also, flagging up this comment from someone on Daytime Confidential because it perfectly encapsulates my disappointment and I don't feel like re-typing it in my own words: "i knew when the conflict started fans would be worse off and we are. OLTL was kept alive in a way for a full year on gh and i was waiting for natalie to show up so they could have an absolutely EPIC Nat/Sam smackdown and the entire thomas is lorenzo story was just itching to be told. now with me, ka and roho playing different characters, not only did gh become a mess (frankly i dont think any of the three choices they went with are half the characters todd, starr and john were), now when pp goes belly up we will lose all connection to the oltl characters whatsoever. there will never be a time when clint b. comes in seduces tracy and tries to steal elq. we will never have dorian or dani visiting starr. matthew can never get an internship at elq when they need summer youth." Yep, pretty much.

This is such a shame, for the fans, for the crew, for the actors, for everyone involved with these shows who truly cares about them. Damn.

Sweetie

What I don't get is that if PP cared about fans they would drop the lawsuit and start over from the ending of OLTL ignore everything that went on General Hospital, do you know how successful recasting is Carly GH character had 3 successful recast how many people have been brought back from the dead in soaps creative thinking is all they needed

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

They just weren't needed! Todd would have been nice but with what went down on GH they could have easily had Blair with another man, she's been bedding non-Todd's for 6 something years as it is.

John? Maligned character for the past decade that no one would miss. And why would they need Star when they had Dani and Jack? They didn't seem to mind the gaping hole that was Jessica, why was Star such a sticking point?

Sweetie

Drew
Sep 4 2013, 06:18 PM
They just weren't needed! Todd would have been nice but with what went down on GH they could have easily had Blair with another man, she's been bedding non-Todd's for 6 something years as it is.

John? Maligned character for the past decade that no one would miss. And why would they need Star when they had Dani and Jack? They didn't seem to mind the gaping hole that was Jessica, why was Star such a sticking point?
Also they could have just ignored everything that happened on General Hospital and started off from the end of OLTL first go around if it was that big a deal

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

Not So fast those who say ONE LIFE is gone for good. Erika Slezak (Viki) has released a statement per Soap Opera Digest.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/slezak-responds-oltl-production-stall

Bremol
Member Avatar

Um hello? She said there is no timetable. ES doesn't say things out of turn. She's a pro at talking the party line. Right now, she's saying what PP has said. At some point, she might get fed up enough to speak her mind (as she's done a few times in the past), but for now, she's being optimistic for the fans. OLTL is the redheaded step-child. It has always been that way. Even AN seemed to prefer AMC over OLTL and she created it!

The characters PP are squawking over are redundant. Todd was the only character that really needed to come back for the sake of the ridiculous tattoo story if only just to finish it (which still didn't happen). Starr was useless as was Cole. John, ugh. He wasn't needed, either. Natalie was much better off without him. As for the loss of the Tea/Victor baby. With the tattoo story, they had the perfect way to 'undead' the baby. Todd could have been forced, for the sake of his children, his sister, etc., to tell Tea that the baby had died so that the tattooies (seriously? the least they could have done was given this crazy assed organization a name by the finale) could take it and raise it to do their bidding. Bam! Simple as that, the problem of the dead Tea/Victor baby is solved.

I agree that PP did this because they aren't getting the money from ABC they thought they would by starting the lawsuit in the first place. If OLTL comes back, hell if AMC is given a definite date for its 2nd season, I'll be amazed.
Edited by Bremol, Sep 5 2013, 02:13 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply