Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Horror Story: Coven; Premieres October 9th on FX
Topic Started: Sep 10 2013, 12:21 PM (2,848 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I'm rewatching again and no one can play insane like Kathy Bates. She's divine!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

'American Horror Story: Coven' Debut is Most-Watched Ever

NEW ORLEANS, October 10, 2013 – The premiere episode of FX's critically-acclaimed miniseries American Horror Story: Coven (10/9/13, 10:00-11:12 PM) was the most-watched telecast ever of the American Horror Story franchise, recording 5.54 million Total Viewers, 3.87 million Adults 18-49 (3.0 rating) and 2.34 million Adults 18-34 (3.5 rating), which ranked #1 for the night in Adults 18-34 against all broadcast competition in primetime (8:00-11:00PM), and it ranked #2 in Adults 18-49 behind Modern Family. (Cable program rankers for Wednesday will be available later this afternoon.)
On a Live+Same Day basis, last night’s debut episode of Coven, "Bitchcraft," posted all-time AHS franchise highs across the board for the American Horror Story franchise and marked gains of +44% in Total Viewers (5.54 million vs. 3.85 million) and +39% in Adults 18-49 (3.87 million vs. 2.78 million) compared with the debut of American Horror Story: Asylum, and an astounding +74% in Total Viewers (5.54 million vs. 3.18 million) and +90% in Adults 18-49 (3.87 million vs. 2.04 million) compared with the premiere of American Horror Story: Murder House. Coven also scored franchise highs in Women 18-49 (2.36 million) and Women 18-34 (1.47 million).
The premiere telecast and encore runs (11:12 PM and 1:25 AM) of Coven combined to deliver 7.78 million Total Viewers and 5.36 Million Adults 18-49.
Furthermore, if the time-shifted viewing for American Horror Story: Coven is in line with that of its predecessor American Horror Story: Asylum, last night's debut of Coven could rank as the most-watched telecast in FX history, surpassing the sixth season premiere episode of Sons Of Anarchy (9/10/13). The average Live+Same Day to Live+7 percentage increase for American Horror Story: Asylum was +67% in Total Viewers and +75% in Adults 18-49.

In Chapter 2 of Coven – “Boy Parts” (Airs Wednesday, October 16, 10:00 pm e/p) – Fiona helps Zoe and Madison deal with a horrible tragedy. Delphine LaLaurie struggles to adjust to modern life. Cordelia faces a dark decision about her family. (Written by Tim Minear; Directed by Michael Rymer)

American Horror Story: Coven tells the secret history of witches and witchcraft in America. Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way. American Coven features an extraordinary cast including Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Emma Roberts, Gabourey Sidibe, Frances Conroy, Lily Rabe, Denis O’Hare, Patti LuPone, and Danny Huston. Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, Dante Di Loreto, Tim Minear, James Wong, Jennifer Salt, and Brad Buecker are Executive Producers of American Horror Story: Coven. It is produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television.

King
Member Avatar

I thought it was better than the Season 2 premiere, but that isn't saying much. LOL.

I liked it fine. I mean the cast is brilliant/amazing/unbelievable.

Not sure about the writing. I thought it was a little ridiculous/silly.

Definitely think the producers should be thanking their lucky stars for the cast.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

^ I agree; the cast really is this season's biggest strength so far (minus Roberts, who I still think is a lousy actress).

I liked it, but I didn't *love* it. Based on the premiere alone, I don't get the feeling that it's going to top either of the first two seasons for me, but I'll keep an open mind.

Mason
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 9 2013, 11:30 PM
^ I actually liked Season 2 better than Season 1
So did I, actually. I wasn't expecting to, based on all the criticism of it I read, but I loved Asylum.

am103
Member Avatar

Tonight’s episode was fantastic! I was practically holding my breath the entire time!

How awesome was Queenie’s fast food restaurant scene? Her ability is my favorite – the voodoo thing is so cool! I still think she is connected to Marie Laveau somehow.

Emma Roberts fits in on this show so well. She plays the “bitch” so well.

I didn’t think I would like the Frankenstein twist, but it’s been deliciously awesome so far. And how twisted was Cordelia and her husband trying to conceive a child by doing that ritual?!

Why does Jessica Lange own every scene she’s in? I have the urge to get down on my living room floor and bow to the TV every time she has one of her fabulously bitchy rants. Watching her square off against Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett is almost like Christmas. I was glued to the screen for the whole hour!

Bremol
Member Avatar

After loving season 1, and being thoroughly disappointed with season 2 (only watched the first episode and half of the second before I gave up), I'm back to loving AHS. This season has been amazing so far. And Kathy Bates...omg! I'm loving her! What she did was nasty and horrible, but in present day...she's got some humor going on with her craziness.

Mason
Member Avatar

I will say I enjoyed this week's episode much more than the premiere. I do hope they continue to show LaLaurie flashbacks from the 1800s. Those have been the creepiest and most intriguing parts of this season's storyline for me.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I didn't watch the previous two seasons but this one piqued my interest because of the storyline. Is it really gory or more of a mind fuck kind of thing?

am103
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Oct 17 2013, 06:30 PM
I didn't watch the previous two seasons but this one piqued my interest because of the storyline. Is it really gory or more of a mind fuck kind of thing?
I would say that it's more storyline-oriented than gory. At least Season One was, in my opinion. Season Two was much more graphic. Although, with the setting based in an Asylum, it's kind of hard to not be.

King
Member Avatar

I loved season one, but it kinda went off the rails toward the end.

Season two started out off the rails, and it kinda came together nicely...in a weird way. If you had the patience to stick it out, which I didn't. LOL.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'm at a loss for words after tonight's episode. Murder, incest, beastiality, animal sacrifice, boiling semen in a mason jar... is there any line Ryan Murphy won't cross!?

Mason
Member Avatar

Maybe I'm just so desensitized to this show's content after two seasons, but I really wasn't fazed by much of last night's episode, lol.

I'm absolutely loving Kathy Bates as LaLaurie. Seeing her adjust to the 21st century is hilarious.

Looking forward to seeing Frances Conroy in next week's episode. She's been criminally underused on this show, and I can't understand why.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

My new obsession and damn with Lange Bassett and Bates what's not to love? And Bassett looks amazing for her age, she never seems to age. I have watched each episode three times this season trying to get them hooked. I skipped season 2 and need to get caught up ASAP.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I can't believe how great Bassett still looks either Kirk! She looks late 30's but she's 55 :OhMy:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Angela Bassett is proof of the saying "black don't crack."

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm loving this current scene. Ryan Murphy has gathered quite a powerhouse. In the second episode, Lange vs Bassett was incredible..Can't wait for tonight's voodoo zombie themed two parter.

am103
Member Avatar

I feel really dumb for asking this, but is Dennis O'Hare the butler?! I've been waiting for his character to show up, and he's been here all along! If that is indeed him, the show did a good job of making him look nothing like he should! I also think Hank's mistress was played by Alexandra Breckenridge.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. The part at the beginning with the zombies annoyed me, because I felt that they were an unnecessary inclusion. This is when I started getting frustrated with last season too - the inclusion of aliens was just too much for me. However, I LOVED the twist at the end with Marie Laveau resurrecting Delphine's dead daughters. So messed up! I just don't want American Horror Story to turn into The Walking Dead. This season is about witches, not zombies.

I was saddened by how little we saw of Zoe tonight and the fact that we didn't see Misty at all, but WOW were those scenes with the Council of Witchcraft fun! I also loved all of the flashbacks to the old days of Miss Robichaux's Academy.

I was so bummed to see Cordelia's husband cheating on her, and was even more shocked when he killed his mistress! I was expecting the mistress to become pregnant after the fertility spell that Cordelia performed for them. Speaking of which - is Cordelia pregnant? Or did she have too much to drink at the bar? And who splashed that acid in her face? Tonight's episode definitely left the audience with more questions than answers!
Edited by am103, Oct 30 2013, 11:03 PM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I was so sure Myrtle was guilty, then when the reveal happened I was floored!

Can't wait to see her resurrected next week. The Myrtle/Fiona battle will be epic!

My only complaint is.... wouldn't Myrtle have felt pain when Queenie stuck her hand in the acid?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Rick
Nov 7 2013, 02:01 AM
My only complaint is.... wouldn't Myrtle have felt pain when Queenie stuck her hand in the acid?
I think that's why she screamed "you're hurting me" when Fiona grabbed her hand.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply