Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The New Will: Guy Wilson
Topic Started: Sep 11 2013, 08:18 PM (23,062 Views)
dylan76
Member Avatar

I'm not a big Chandler fan at all, but he & Freddie do have a sort of comfortable chemistry. This new guy is not attractive at all in my opinion, so once Eileen leaves, I have literally nothing left to keep me watching this show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyan

Chandler benefited from being in a high profile supporting role and being on one of the few remaining soaps. He could cry well and under under MarDar fight with Sammy, but really once he teamed up with EJ and became a cartoonish sidekick, it has been pretty much downhill. He did seem into making out with Camilla. How many higher profile roles have been recast and its worked out. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it will energize the story.

Keith
Member Avatar

Looks like Will is going to be the Mike Horton of this generation. He, too, had a popular early adulthood actor and a slew of recasts came after, some popular, some not. Time will tell if this will be a Mike T. Weiss or a lesser recast type.

lachelle73

Maybe one day he will come back like alot of the other actors have in the past. But the way things went down maybe not :) He would be the one I would want to see as Will if they do ever have Will and Sonny get married. Freddie and Chandler.

six
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Sep 17 2013, 11:13 AM
lysie
Sep 17 2013, 10:55 AM
Will&Sonny
Sep 17 2013, 02:58 AM
Kirk
Sep 17 2013, 12:56 AM
[...]those smirks get on my last nerve.
I'm unabashedly biased, but I have never noticed these so-called "inappropriate smirks" of Chandler Massey's. To me, it just seems like they're the "in" thing to complain about right now, just like complaining about the pairing of Daniel and Jennifer is the "in" thing to do on this site (even on days when they aren't being shown, which makes absolutely no sense to me -- if people are that sick of them, they should be relishing the opportunity to take a break from talking about them once in a while, IMO). I can't stand Daniel and Jennifer either, but the constant complaints about them get a bit tedious and predictable after a while -- that's all that I'm saying. I don't even complain that much about James Scott's inexplicable need to blink rapidly throughout each scene or Greg Vaughan's inexplicable need to be duller than a butter knife.

On the other hand, I have noticed some awkward smiles from time to time that seem completely appropriate to Will, who has never been the most confident and self-assured character on the canvas. They are a quirky character mannerism of his that I will miss when Chandler leaves the role.

Okay, that concludes my minor soapbox moment for the night.
I'm going to need someone to make you some screencaps, which shouldn't be difficult since he does it in almost every episode. As far as it being the "in" thing to complain about, no. Many of us have been complaining about it since they day he took over the role. And yes, you do complain that much about EJ. Maybe not Eric, but definitely EJ.
screw the screen caps, we need a youtube video with all the grinning....

My biggest issue is that he doesn't just grin but he does it often and at the wrong times.....
Do you know how long that video would be?

I think this guy looks too old to play Will, but since he's on the older side, he might be less likely to jump ship, thinking he's going to make it big as soon as his four years are up.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Kyan
Sep 17 2013, 12:16 PM
How many higher profile roles have been recast and its worked out. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it will energize the story.
Bo. Roman. Belle. for starters

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

To be honest, nearly any character who's actually born on a soap and manages to stay a part of the canvas for many, many years ends up going through a lot of recasts. Mike Horton, Jaime Frame (AW); Tom Hughes (ATWT) are 3 that immediately spring to mind.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

The in thing is to complain? Umm no Chandler smirks at some of the most awkard times. Do some to that in real life? Sure but he has smirked at almost laughed in scenes that should have been anger or sadness. I doubt I will miss Chandler in the role.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Too lazy to edit the post above but on my phone.

Team WilSon
Member Avatar

Kirk
Sep 17 2013, 01:18 PM
The in thing is to complain? Umm no Chandler smirks at some of the most awkard times. Do some to that in real life? Sure but he has smirked at almost laughed in scenes that should have been anger or sadness. I doubt I will miss Chandler in the role.
If I recall correctly I have said something like this earlier but I'm gonna say it again.

I get why most of the people on DR hate when Chandler is smirking but it doesn't annoy me at all because I do the same thing all the time. I'm smirking and smiling sometimes in very inappropriate situations. Usually it just comes naturally when I'm with certain people and even more easily with strangers. For me it comes automatically. I have tried not to smirk but I can't help it. I don't know if this is the case with Chandler but that's just my wild guess. I'm not saying this just because I'm tired of seeing comments about it and all I'm trying to say is that for me it's a natural thing and I can't do anything about it even if I try. You don't believe me? Come to Finland and meet me in person! It's 100% sure I will smirk at you.

Will&Sonny

lysie
Will&Sonny
Kirk
I'm unabashedly biased, but I have never noticed these so-called "inappropriate smirks" of Chandler Massey's. To me, it just seems like they're the "in" thing to complain about right now, just like complaining about the pairing of Daniel and Jennifer is the "in" thing to do on this site (even on days when they aren't being shown, which makes absolutely no sense to me -- if people are that sick of them, they should be relishing the opportunity to take a break from talking about them once in a while, IMO). I can't stand Daniel and Jennifer either, but the constant complaints about them get a bit tedious and predictable after a while -- that's all that I'm saying. I don't even complain that much about James Scott's inexplicable need to blink rapidly throughout each scene or Greg Vaughan's inexplicable need to be duller than a butter knife.

On the other hand, I have noticed some awkward smiles from time to time that seem completely appropriate to Will, who has never been the most confident and self-assured character on the canvas. They are a quirky character mannerism of his that I will miss when Chandler leaves the role.

I'm going to need someone to make you some screencaps, which shouldn't be difficult since he does it in almost every episode. As far as it being the "in" thing to complain about, no. Many of us have been complaining about it since they day he took over the role. And yes, you do complain that much about EJ. Maybe not Eric, but definitely EJ.
I didn't say anything about E.J. or Eric. I said things about James Scott and Greg Vaughan, but I said nothing about E.J. or Eric. I also mentioned very specific complaints about each person -- not complaints in general, but one specific complaint about each actor.

As for the rest, I don't need screen caps or videos -- I've seen every single moment of Chandler's performance, from the first day that he aired to the present day. I just don't see what some of you are seeing when I watch those scenes. Part of the problem is that I take issue with the use of the word "smirk" to describe what you are seeing as "inappropriate". The word "smirk" implies a cocky, arrogant, smug, self-satisfied sort of expression* that Will simply isn't capable of pulling off (and neither is Chandler, for that matter, from everything that I've seen, heard, and read about him). He's never really been that sort of character; the closest that he's ever come to being that sort of character was when he was working for E.J. and pissed off at Sami for cheating on Rafe, but even then, he simply wasn't confident and self-assured enough to pull off "smirks" because he was still struggling with his sexuality at that time.

E.J. smirks. Stefano smirks. John smirks. Melinda smirks like it's the only expression that she has in her arsenal. Will doesn't smirk, and seeing people complain about his "inappropriate smirks" is about as weird to me as seeing people accuse a kid like Johnny of smirking -- a kid who isn't really even old enough to have anything to be smug or cocky about -- would be.

*Before anyone bothers to point this out, yes, I'm aware that you can go to an online dictionary and find "silly" as another descriptor for a smirk, but the fact remains that the word does not really evoke thoughts of "silliness". If I polled people, "silly" would probably be one of the last words that they would choose to describe a smirk.

And yes, I'm being that guy -- the one who lectures people about things like grammar and the proper use of words -- again. It can't be helped sometimes; I take such things pretty seriously.

lysie
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Sep 17 2013, 03:40 PM
lysie
Will&Sonny
Kirk

I didn't say anything about E.J. or Eric. I said things about James Scott and Greg Vaughan, but I said nothing about E.J. or Eric. I also mentioned very specific complaints about each person -- not complaints in general, but one specific complaint about each actor.

As for the rest, I don't need screen caps or videos -- I've seen every single moment of Chandler's performance, from the first day that he aired to the present day. I just don't see what some of you are seeing when I watch those scenes. Part of the problem is that I take issue with the use of the word "smirk" to describe what you are seeing as "inappropriate". The word "smirk" implies a cocky, arrogant, smug, self-satisfied sort of expression* that Will simply isn't capable of pulling off (and neither is Chandler, for that matter, from everything that I've seen, heard, and read about him). He's never really been that sort of character; the closest that he's ever come to being that sort of character was when he was working for E.J. and pissed off at Sami for cheating on Rafe, but even then, he simply wasn't confident and self-assured enough to pull off "smirks" because he was still struggling with his sexuality at that time.

E.J. smirks. Stefano smirks. John smirks. Melinda smirks like it's the only expression that she has in her arsenal. Will doesn't smirk, and seeing people complain about his "inappropriate smirks" is about as weird to me as seeing people accuse a kid like Johnny of smirking -- a kid who isn't really even old enough to have anything to be smug or cocky about -- would be.

*Before anyone bothers to point this out, yes, I'm aware that you can go to an online dictionary and find "silly" as another descriptor for a smirk, but the fact remains that the word does not really evoke thoughts of "silliness". If I polled people, "silly" would probably be one of the last words that they would choose to describe a smirk.

And yes, I'm being that guy -- the one who lectures people about things like grammar and the proper use of words -- again. It can't be helped sometimes; I take such things pretty seriously.
I know what smirk means, and know what smirks look like. And while I realize you named specifics quirks of the others, that really doesn't make a difference. You complain about things that bother you all the time. If you're choosing not to complain about other things, that's on you. I don't constantly complain that Chandler shakes his head excessively either. But I do complain about the smirking because it distracts me during a lot of his scenes. I've seen MANY kids smirk. Just because you're choosing to only acknowledge one definition of the word doesn't mean the rest of us have to. Dude smirks. It bothers me and doesn't bother you. It's as simple as that.

Ellie

lysie
Sep 17 2013, 01:54 AM
Will's barely on. I know he has a fanbase. So do a lot of characters and actors that have been recast who were being used a lot more prominently than Will is. I could have seen it as a bigger deal under MarDar, but Will's an afterthought for TomSell. And I don't think that's the reason they chose not to write the character off. If Chandler had been in the role for more than a few years, I could understand it, but Will has been played by three different actors in the last six years. And I didn't say he wasn't an important character. I said he's not a main character.

Then again, I think Chandler is overrated and I think WilSon is as dull as dirt. Maybe a new actor will make them more interesting to me, but I'm not counting on it.
I'd agree with you, except i think your post is missing an important point. This story was viewed as groundbreaking for Days, and Chandler gets a lot of the credit for it. Sure, Will's a "legacy character", but his character was similar to Ciara in the past - a cute kid who was related to almost everyone and was used as a pawn in some stories. Then Will reached adolescence and the writers didn't really know what to do with him until a few years ago. Chandler's Will has the distinction of being the character who came out on daytime TV, and Chandler got the job done extremely well imo - not to take away credit from Deidre, MarDar, Greg Meng or others involved. Now under TomSell I agree that Will has faded, and I also agree Wilson are boring, but I think the reason for the "big deal" as you call it in this thread is what Chandler achieved for the character at the beginning of his run.

seanny
Member Avatar

badaddiction
Sep 17 2013, 07:25 AM
Um, do you honestly think/believe the lack of WilSon is the reasoning behind the time shifts? :facepalm:
No, but it could be a contributing factor.
Edited by seanny, Sep 18 2013, 12:53 AM.

OliveAnn

seanny
Sep 18 2013, 12:52 AM
badaddiction
Sep 17 2013, 07:25 AM
Um, do you honestly think/believe the lack of WilSon is the reasoning behind the time shifts? :facepalm:
No, but it could be a contributing factor.
It wasn't, trust me. Characters and couples have nothing to do with programming decisions. If they did, this show would have been canceled when John and Marlena, a far superior couple to WilSon, were written off the show.

OliveAnn

Kirk
Sep 17 2013, 01:18 PM
I don't think Chandler is the only one to blame for the inaproppriate smirking. The directors are, too. They should have at one point told him to control his facial expressions and not do that. I get that they're too stingy to do second takes when they see him smirking, but it wouldn't have hurt them if they had advised him before a scene to be careful with what he does with his face. Unfortunately, the show doesn't have anyone who would work with young actors and teach them, which is why in the last few years we have seen things that were quite inaproppriate for particular scenes, like Will smirking or Melanie giggling in the middle of a sentence.
Edited by OliveAnn, Sep 18 2013, 07:26 AM.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Trask smirks but Chandler doesn't? Trask face is in a constant bitter bitch mode, I have definitely missed some scenes but have yet to see her smirk in scenes. If I said I never laug and just instead only giggle or cackle doesn't mean I dont laugh. Chandler smirks and does so often.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply