Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty Interview with Eileen Davidson; Kate Mansi's K20 Birthday Benefit
Topic Started: Sep 22 2013, 02:27 AM (3,099 Views)
thepadange

Thanks for the interview.
From this and some other interviews and tweets as well I'm getting an impression that playing black/evil characters is not what Eileen's really enjoying. She often describes the soft/loving/vulnerable side of the character as the most interesting one.
I suppose, the Kristen/Eric storyline which had began right before they asked her if she will re-sign her contract was not the one to motivate her to stay on the show.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Graceland
Member Avatar

thepadange
Sep 23 2013, 01:45 AM
From this and some other interviews and tweets as well I'm getting an impression that playing black/evil characters is not what Eileen's really enjoying. She often describes the soft/loving/vulnerable side of the character as the most interesting one.
I suppose, the Kristen/Eric storyline which had began right before they asked her if she will re-sign her contract was not the one to motivate her to stay on the show.
She's actually said the opposite. She said that she started off playing bad girls, and she prefers playing them. She also said that she's more like Kristen than Ashley Abbott. She was tired of playing the constant victim.

What made Eileen exit was the workload, which she actually asked for, which turned out to be it her undoing, WHICH, ironically, was what made her exit the first time.

She already said that doing short story arcs on Days, which was offered, is a possibility in the future. She was just exhausted.

Y&R is a mess right now. Days gave her the best material. Actors would kill to be given that kind of material, that opportunity, after so many years in the business, and getting to return to a character so many years later. She knows this, and I'm sure appreciates it. I don't think she knew what she was getting herself into when she signed on. Great material, but very demanding compared to her stint on Y&R, and for less money.

The hard part is now over, explaining Kristen's absence, reintroducing her to a new generation of viewers. That was a HUGE undertaking. After so many years they could have just given up on the idea of bringing Kristen back. It started to be a given that the character would probably never return, so just get over the idea. Now that it did, it's easier to bring her back. It's sort of like Days never winning the Emmy. Once it happens, voters see that it's no longer an automatic loser, no longer a reason not to vote for it. The cycle has be broken on both fronts.

Graceland
Member Avatar

Mean, Mean, Mean!
Sep 22 2013, 07:09 AM
The only positive I have in how it doesn't look good she will come back... 15 years ago she said she never would so...
If you look at all of these new interviews, so many of the actors are given these point-blank answers. They aren't really elaborating. It's sounds more like a questionnaire. I wouldn't read into anything that she's saying. In the little she states, it's pretty positive. Much of it is what she's already said before, just condensed.

She said a month ago that Kristen was not down and out, and that she could return, and that Kristen's story was not done when she left, that she didn't know how they were going to wrap it up, AND, that there was a person cast that looked like her, insinuating that this person could have something to do with the rest of the storyline, but wasn't sure. She's holding back a lot here. Eric is doing the same too.

Which one of Brady's fiances was hit by a car?

thepadange

Graceland
Sep 23 2013, 02:03 AM
thepadange
She's actually said the opposite. She said that she started off playing bad girls, and she prefers playing them. She also said that she's more like Kristen than Ashley Abbott. She was tired of playing the constant victim.

What made Eileen exit was the workload, which she actually asked for, which turned out to be it her undoing, WHICH, ironically, was what made her exit the first time.

She already said that doing short story arcs on Days, which was offered, is a possibility in the future. She was just exhausted.

Y&R is a mess right now. Days gave her the best material. Actors would kill to be given that kind of material, that opportunity, after so many years in the business, and getting to return to a character so many years later. She knows this, and I'm sure appreciates it. I don't think she knew what she was getting herself into when she signed on. Great material, but very demanding compared to her stint on Y&R, and for less money.

The hard part is now over, explaining Kristen's absence, reintroducing her to a new generation of viewers. That was a HUGE undertaking. After so many years they could have just given up on the idea of bringing Kristen back. It started to be a given that the character would probably never return, so just get over the idea. Now that it did, it's easier to bring her back. It's sort of like Days never winning the Emmy. Once it happens, voters see that it's no longer an automatic loser, no longer a reason not to vote for it. The cycle has be broken on both fronts.
Yes, I do remember her saying she is more like Kristen than Ashley but without her evil ways. And during one of the twitter sessions she said she likes playing bad and good at the same time. So I think her preference is "grey" (I guess, most of the actors prefer "grey" characters).
I didn't say the Kristen/Eric s/l was the reason she's quit, but Kristen, nearly out of the blue with a blowgun and that giant syringe,... :shrug: it looked a little bit (or a lot) childish or like a dark comedy except it wasn't. And it did some unnecessary damage to the character and her current pairing. This particular s/l was just to dark for me to enjoy it (JMO).

In general, I agree with you that most of the material was really very good and I also agree with all you've said about workload, pay etc. :) . But these are things you can change during the contract negotiations, can't you?
Edited by thepadange, Sep 23 2013, 05:37 AM.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

thepadange
Sep 23 2013, 02:44 AM
Graceland
Sep 23 2013, 02:03 AM
thepadange

Yes, I do remember her saying she is more like Kristen than Ashley but without her evil ways. And during one of the twitter sessions she said she likes playing bad and good at the same time. So I think her preference is "grey" (I guess, most of the actors prefer "grey" characters).
I didn't say the Kristen/Eric s/l was the reason she's quit, but Kristen, nearly out of the blue with a blowgun and that giant syringe,... :shrug: it looked a little bit (or a lot) childish or like a dark comedy except it wasn't. And it did some unnecessary damage to the character and her current pairing.

In general, I agree with you that most of the material was really very good and I also agree with all you've said about workload, pay etc. :) . But these are things you can change during the contract negotiations, can't you?
I can understand that an actress would rather play a character who is both good and bad, the character becomes more interesting and there is more to act around. ED is an actress who shines on stage she has the mysterious x factor, some actors have it and some do not. Too bad she is leaving the show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

thepadange

Graceland
Sep 23 2013, 02:14 AM
She said a month ago that Kristen was not down and out, and that she could return, and that Kristen's story was not done when she left, that she didn't know how they were going to wrap it up, AND, that there was a person cast that looked like her, insinuating that this person could have something to do with the rest of the storyline, but wasn't sure. She's holding back a lot here. Eric is doing the same too.

Which one of Brady's fiances was hit by a car?
This time it doesn't sound like that or does it? Either she didn't know then how her story will be wrapped up and now she knows (from her co-stars, maybe?), hence the differences, or TPTB told everyone to lie about the upcoming storylines.
In general, I also have a problem to believe when Ari is telling Eric is still a priest or Shawn saying he is still helping Eric to find out what's happened in the hotel. Either they are lying or nothing is happening on the show :shrug: which is scary.

Arianna Hernandez was hit by the car.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

I have to laugh at the notion that the Kristen/Eric thing somehow "ruined" the character. No, it didn't. Firstly, it is exactly something Kristen would do. And as has been said multiple times, these characters have done far worse things and at equally bad things, and still have continued on with the show for multiple years (EJ, Nicole, Sami, Victor, Stefano, Tony/Andre, etc.) So yeah, I'm gonna say it doesn't matter. And had ED stayed, they would have surely been able to let go of the storyline at some point. I do think ED was shocked when she first learned about the Eric thing (she actually said as much on her Twitter page) but I do not believe that's the reason why she quit.

blueskies
Member Avatar

thepadange
Sep 23 2013, 01:09 AM
blueskies
Sep 22 2013, 02:28 PM
Graceland
Sep 22 2013, 04:59 AM
Eric Martsolf talks about it in the new CBS Soaps In Depth. This is going to be an over-the-top finale!!!
i bought it just for his interview, & it does sound like it will be good! I also think he basically said (without saying) that Brady's going to be into drugs after Kristen leaves. Or at least that's how I read it. Granted I was hoping that's what would happen so perhaps I'm just reading what I want into it ;)

And I wasn't overly shocked that he had a hard time reconciling his own feelings regarding what he would have done in Brady's situation with what Brady did re:Kristen. But lets be honest, he's had plenty of background in this area playing a rather stupid man who believes whatever the women in his life tell him. And I still maintain Ethan was dumber by far.
Concerning Brady and drugs, I think, it sure happens.

Are there any hints about the "grand finale"? Because from ED's interview in this thread I got the feeling they may kill off the character via suicide. I am pretty sure I'm reading way too much into it because it's just a couple of sentences, but there is something a little bit different said about Kristen and her s/l from what she's told in her other latest interviews (namely, too much focus on her love for Brady). As Days' writers are trying to create some allusions, they may use their lake set if a pool set is not present this time. Kristen could even leave her bracelet there again. Very final scenes may be played by the look-a-like (Eva Swan) so it could later be revealed as real or fake depending on whether Days will ever manage to get Eileen back or not.

It's just my odd phantasies and I hope I'm wrong and, please, say me that I am ;) , because it's breaking my heart just thinking about it :'(
As most are saying it doesn't look like ED will return, I just don't want my favorite soap character dead.
That would be very soapy.

I'm interested to see what they do with the lookalike. I was sort of thinking a case of mistaken identity & then she gets Brady into drugs again.

lysie
Member Avatar

I just don't agree with her about the way Kristen was written. IMO, she was much more black this time than last time. Her vulnerabilities were much clearer in the 90s. She seems to only remember a very small part of Kristen's first run on the show.

thepadange

Yoryla
Sep 23 2013, 06:59 AM
I have to laugh at the notion that the Kristen/Eric thing somehow "ruined" the character. No, it didn't. Firstly, it is exactly something Kristen would do. And as has been said multiple times, these characters have done far worse things and at equally bad things, and still have continued on with the show for multiple years (EJ, Nicole, Sami, Victor, Stefano, Tony/Andre, etc.) So yeah, I'm gonna say it doesn't matter. And had ED stayed, they would have surely been able to let go of the storyline at some point. I do think ED was shocked when she first learned about the Eric thing (she actually said as much on her Twitter page) but I do not believe that's the reason why she quit.
By saying it "did unnecessary harm to the character" I definitely didn't mean the s/l made the character irredeemable or that it was written into the corner or ruined to no point of return :). At least not in my eyes. The character was and is viable after all that. However, I think the s/l didn't make much sense and wasn't that much compelling or dramatic for that matter and they easily could have gone "milder" and more "human" with all that.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

As everything Days does, the story had potential but they quickly squandered it with bad writing decisions. For example, the fact that she waffled between who the victim of her revenge plot really was is striking to me. Was it Marlena? OR John? or both? Obviously in the beginning her revenge centered on using Brady to hurt John, but then she set her sights on hurting Marlena too, which is why she roped John in and was willing to sleep with him...but if that was the case, then why not go through with your plan and actually sleep with John when he came hovering around.....the execution was just bad....although we got glimpses that she was falling in love with Brady during the entire ordeal, we hardly got the longing after the reveal and now it just seems that she could give a flying leap about Brady. IF the buildup was that she set her sights on Brady to hurt John/Marlena but in the process had really fallen for the guy, then why did we not see it after they broke up....did her 'love' for Brady change the minute she raped Eric? WTF is going on?....I sometimes think that this story would have been way more cohesive if Eileen hadn't made the decision to leave.....it just feels that it lost whatever little it had going for it....

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Team WilSon
Sep 22 2013, 05:43 AM
I'm going to miss her so much :'(

This list makes me sad = Eileen, Casey, Nathan, Chandler, Camila & Blake (?).
I am only sad about 2 maybe 3 of those.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

thepadange
Sep 23 2013, 09:42 AM
Yoryla
By saying it "did unnecessary harm to the character" I definitely didn't mean the s/l made the character irredeemable or that it was written into the corner or ruined to no point of return :). At least not in my eyes. The character was and is viable after all that. However, I think the s/l didn't make much sense and wasn't that much compelling or dramatic for that matter and they easily could have gone "milder" and more "human" with all that.
Yes, indeed. Firstly, I didn't mean to direct this to you, it was more of a universal notion as a response to some people's comments. Secondly, I fully understand what you mean, and yes, I agree on that after she did the deed there was great momentum but it kind of fizzled after she decided not to show the video at the school reception. She agreed to be with Brady, which was fine in itself but they should have quickened the pace at that point. And also the pregnancy scare was a TOTALLY useless, and to many annoying detour since she ended up not being pregnant. I was astounded they did that, because someone had to know how much it would annoy the fans to see her toy for a week with the idea of being pregnant and then she's just...not. That was a weird detour imo, and the show should have either passed on it completely or then just make her pregnant (not what I wanted though). And now the storyline's kind of shifted to Nicole and Marlena's half-crazy antics, which just seem to make them look desperate, clumsy, meddling and - as Kristen would put it - losers (lol).

The best way for a story like this to work is to have Kristen be the underdog, and to let us see her slow descent into madness, her talking to herself and planning and plotting. That's what she did right after Brady dumped her before, and that's why that storyline was so compelling and why May was such a good month. Kristen was in her element. But now it's kind of a tad too sugary sweet, until of course she realizes something's up. That's why I'm waiting SO much for the coming scenes this October & November. :chee: :popcorn:

Dreamy
Member Avatar

I think ED would return if it was a short arc storyline. We know she adores "Kristen" & DAYS, so maybe she will come back when the time is right!

tylerbo20

unless she's stuck on YR with a boring ass storyline and a 3 year contract

Dreamy
Member Avatar

tylerbo20
Sep 23 2013, 07:23 PM
unless she's stuck on YR with a boring ass storyline and a 3 year contract
I don't think that will happen because of JFP!

thepadange

Yoryla
Sep 23 2013, 01:29 PM
thepadange
Sep 23 2013, 09:42 AM
Yoryla
Yes, indeed. Firstly, I didn't mean to direct this to you, it was more of a universal notion as a response to some people's comments. Secondly, I fully understand what you mean, and yes, I agree on that after she did the deed there was great momentum but it kind of fizzled after she decided not to show the video at the school reception. She agreed to be with Brady, which was fine in itself but they should have quickened the pace at that point. And also the pregnancy scare was a TOTALLY useless, and to many annoying detour since she ended up not being pregnant. I was astounded they did that, because someone had to know how much it would annoy the fans to see her toy for a week with the idea of being pregnant and then she's just...not. That was a weird detour imo, and the show should have either passed on it completely or then just make her pregnant (not what I wanted though). And now the storyline's kind of shifted to Nicole and Marlena's half-crazy antics, which just seem to make them look desperate, clumsy, meddling and - as Kristen would put it - losers (lol).

The best way for a story like this to work is to have Kristen be the underdog, and to let us see her slow descent into madness, her talking to herself and planning and plotting. That's what she did right after Brady dumped her before, and that's why that storyline was so compelling and why May was such a good month. Kristen was in her element. But now it's kind of a tad too sugary sweet, until of course she realizes something's up. That's why I'm waiting SO much for the coming scenes this October & November. :chee: :popcorn:
Yeah, it was really something unusual in how this particular pregnancy idea was handled. One of my assumptions was maybe they planned the pregnancy but after it was sure that Eileen won't re-sign her contract they chose another way to go. (It was taped about mid-April). But it's also possible that they simply wanted to tease the audience. I that case, as I've said somewhere I would have prefered if Eric/Kristen "sex" would be revealed as fake (staged so it could be taped) down the road. Now with that pregnancy scare they made it impossible. Even with the "fake" sex they could have the same effect they are having now. If they wanted some shocking visuals for ratings, they could have dressed Kristen as sister Mary Moira and have a priest and a nun "fake" making out. Maybe it's just me but I can't get into the logic "I want to destroy somebody so I have to have sex with his/her priest son", why not hire a prostitute then? In one of her last interviews ED said that her characters on Days "have a very short shelf life" and it was another big reason to leave Days. Even if we may not think so, really what could Kristen do down the road that would be more shocking than this? That's why I dislike this particular storyline even more.

As for what's going on now, I'm quite OK with Bristen 2.0. I know I'm in a minority, but I really like this softer and vulnerable side of Kristen and I'm enjoying ED and EM in their scenes. If Brady just could change his attitude from "I know her better than anybody else: she has changed and is perfect" to "she really has some very seriuos issues and needs (professional?) help, but it doesn't mean she doesn't deserve love and understanding", I would be happy with it til it lasts ;) .

Edited by thepadange, Sep 24 2013, 07:28 AM.

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

Nice interview. But I disagree, for me the best time for Kristen was when she was keeping J&M apart, (I'm bias of course ;) ) and last fall, I was really excited to see her again, but so shocked when she hooked up with Brady. I'm sure Kristen loves him, but it was just weird for me to see her with John's son of all people, when she was obsessed with him for many years. The reason I stopped liking Bristen was also because it destroyed J&M, and then the story was all about Brady and Kristen. PERIOD. I don't like to see a couple (in general) that are always STUCK together 24/7, doesn't matter if they're making out or fighting, I just think it kills the character, when you put him/her on a corner. Thank god, that in the end tptp wised up and started to write for Kristen and Marlena again, bc the amount of Bristen was making me nauseous.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply