Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty Interview with Shawn Christian; Kate Mansi's K20 Birthday Benefit
Topic Started: Sep 22 2013, 03:06 AM (5,551 Views)
Carly
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Sep 22 2013, 11:41 AM
PatNS
Sep 22 2013, 10:05 AM
He sounds very down to earth and he seems fully aware of what people think of his character. He's more sensitive to the Jack fans and Jack and Jen fans then the writers appear to be, that's for sure.

Thanks. I really enjoyed this interview.
I don't know about his acting ability. I'm not saying he can't act, but I don't see any particular effort to distinguish himself or make Daniel more complex. I don't see layers.

Part of it's the writing, I'm sure, but part of it is that he doesn't seem inspired at all.
I keep hoping that Daniel will turn out to be a freak who's poisoning people in Salem so that he can "save" these people and play the big hero. That would actually be an intriguing storyline and would fit with Daniel's savior complex and his inappropriate relationships with his female patients.

Seriously, if DAYS just acknowledged that Daniel is a total pervert, it could be the start of some awesome storylines. Of course, I seriously doubt that DAY will ever stop its Daniel propping, but hope does spring eternal....

Anyway, Shawn Christian seems like an awesome guy, and he's certainly got a much clearer view of Daniel than the DAYS writers do.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Romancer66

My consensus: nice guy offscreen; average actor; horribly written, insufferable character.

At least SC can see that killing Jack so Daniel could get his life on a silver platter is a losing proposition with a lot of viewers. Pity TomSell can't see it too.

And I get the feeling he wouldn't be at all upset if Fetch ended for good, and Daniel got put in a different relationship.

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

Or they could write Daniel as a sex-addict and give the guy some depth - maybe seek counseling about why he is & have him celibate for a while.

Nothing against SC, but I don't see how he could be inspired by any of the writing, and the ridiculous taping schedule can't help his motivation one bit.

annie21

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Sep 22 2013, 04:55 PM
Or they could write Daniel as a sex-addict and give the guy some depth - maybe seek counseling about why he is & have him celibate for a while.

Nothing against SC, but I don't see how he could be inspired by any of the writing, and the ridiculous taping schedule can't help his motivation one bit.
TFP.

It was a nice interview. And he had me until he started talking about Daniel's motivations -- that he does everything for the right reason and that his motivation is love. If that's true, then it's not what's coming through from the writing and SC's performance -- at least not to me. So much of what I've seen of Daniel's actions has been motivated by his own self interest and about his ego. He comes across as more self-righteous and self-serving than self-sacrificing.

Question: I wasn't sure by what he meant when he said Daniel's "trying to covering JJ's ass." Does that mean that he's trying to protect JJ from being found out, or is he trying to keep tabs on him and find out what he's up to? What we're seeing onscreen seems to support the latter interpretation, but maybe there's something up ahead where he switches to helping JJ? :shrug:

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Sep 22 2013, 11:35 AM
He's more sensitive to Jack and Jen fans than Missy seemed to be.

Yes, I said that.

Am I in trouble now?
Nope, you are right on target! He seems much more tuned in than MR does, sadly. At least he has a sense of humor about the Daniel hating.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Sep 22 2013, 04:55 PM

Meh, he's probably inspired by job security and a steady paycheck. Dude's got a job to do.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

Keith
Sep 22 2013, 02:49 PM
In hindsight, I kind of wished he was asked about the slip Kayla makes to JJ.
Oh, that would have been great! I bet you he hears about it, and has something to say to JJ eventually. Or Kayla. Or Jennifer. So, if he could have given us a little preview...

He's gotta be good for something!!

Sorry, Shawn Christian. It's not really YOU I'm against, but I despise your character, 'kay? And, I think maybe you're not inspired, cuz you don't seem to be.

Sorry, sorry!

Really. Wanna see some people who don't phone it in? Look at Eileen, or Judi, or Wally, or Mary Beth, or Kristian. I could name more...

It's not that they're perfect in every scene, but you can see that it matters to them, and the effort is there...they LIKE what they do, and it shows. Even when their story is not all that great, they're giving something.

Edited by Kriss4, Sep 22 2013, 08:29 PM.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

lysie
Sep 22 2013, 03:06 AM
Whatís Daniel up to?
Iím still pursuing the mystery of what and who got Father Eric drugged and how that all went down. Heís becoming quite the caregiver. Itís kind of a mixed bag of how heís in peopleís lives now. Heís trying to cover JJís ass. Theresaís now in my world, and they get into a situation that puts Danielís career in jeopardy. His relationship with Jennifer is still there, and heís trying to take care of his friend Eric.

Is he talking about what is onscreen now or what he's currently filming? Because I really hope the mystery or Father Eric's drugging/rape still isn't going on 4 months from now. I would think that it would all have come out before Kristen left Salem.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

lysie
Heís trying to cover JJís ass.
Really? Meh. Just stop having storylines with characters I care or am trying to care about please & thanks.

restless daze
Member Avatar
Now don't come whoopin' my ass at the grocery store cause I picked on your fav on here!

I actually liked this interview. I also like that he knows how much we hate his character. Even though they are playing a part written for them, I think it would be hard to hear constant criticism. I don't think I could do that job. Have to have some THICK skin, or, have complete isolation from message boards.

I do think SC is probably a nice guy. :-)

Honeybees
Member Avatar

restless daze
Sep 23 2013, 10:41 PM
I actually liked this interview. I also like that he knows how much we hate his character. Even though they are playing a part written for them, I think it would be hard to hear constant criticism. I don't think I could do that job. Have to have some THICK skin, or, have complete isolation from message boards.

I do think SC is probably a nice guy. :-)
I think he can isolate himself from message boards and even say to himself you can't please everyone all the time, but what I would find mortifying is that his colleagues have to speak all that propping dialogue. Four out of five episodes seem to have multiple breaks in the action for random characters to talk about how sexy, wonderful and perfect Daniel Jonas is and beg Jennifer to get back in bed with him. He can't escape that and it must really be awkward to see his fellow actors try to make that god-awful dialogue work.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

There is only negative I can take away from this interview and that is that Fetch is STILL trying to happen 4 months from now...and clearly DAYS has still not got the message that it is NOT going to happen...ever.

SC I am sure is a great guy and I am glad he recognizes how shitty his character is and how DAYS' continual propping is annoying fans everyday.

It goes a lot more though than "this guy saved my daughters life"...when you have pretty much the entire canvas PROPPING you it goes WAY beyond just him saving a life here and there.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Sep 24 2013, 10:10 AM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Romancer66
Sep 22 2013, 04:02 PM
My consensus: nice guy offscreen; average actor; horribly written, insufferable character.

At least SC can see that killing Jack so Daniel could get his life on a silver platter is a losing proposition with a lot of viewers. Pity TomSell can't see it too.

And I get the feeling he wouldn't be at all upset if Fetch ended for good, and Daniel got put in a different relationship.
Of course SC doesn't want Fetch to happen...he knows its killing him with viewers being saddled to Jennifer. He has made it quite clear in past interviews about what he feels about Fetch.

Viewers will NEVER accept them as a couple...not now, not 4 months from now...not ever!
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Sep 24 2013, 10:17 AM.

world50

Ibelieve that if Dan and Jenn continue to stay together...........or get married.............and/or get total custody of Parker this will be the final nail in Dannifer/Jenn/Dan's coffin.People have been upset and will continue to be outraged with this absurdity and there won't be any thing left for the character of Daniel and Jennifer......reguardless of what TPTB want.Enough is enough.Dan and Jenn have plundered their way through Salem with thier fake love and the constant propping of how wonderful these two are by ALL the Salemites is insane to the point of creepy.This WILL end.....mark my word.;)
Edited by world50, Sep 24 2013, 10:34 AM.

AHM

I do love the DR interviews that ask what other interviews don't. SC seems like a nice guy. I appreciate his lip service to the epic couple Jack and Jennifer were. It's such a shame they were trashed for Fetch. I feel like SC is really trying to find something with his incredibly poorly written character, but there's really nothing there, and I can't imagine he doesn't see what a weak character he plays, because he seems like a sharp guy. But how does SC get the idea that other characters only praise Daniel for doctor stuff when that is simply not the case? Dreadfully empty character. I can't believe he's been central this long and that much better characters and stories were bypassed for him.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

lysie
Youíre not very popular on our board right now.
I know.

A lot of our Jack fans are especially having a hard time.
They should be. Jack and Jennifer are a very quintessential couple in daytime, not just Days of Our Lives. And Daniel canít just swoop into someoneís life like that. She has kids; she has a family. Itís a very difficult road. I think the story to be told is how does a single mother move on and find new love. People arenít fans of that. How can a widowed woman with children find love again? Many people say that you do not let go of the love of your life. I think thatís what makes it so difficult. I donít take it personally. Itís a hard pill to swallow in real life, so it would certainly be hard swallow in daytime.

Is it noticeable to you that the other characters are always telling us how great Daniel is?
Itís just with regard to what he does as a career.
I don't think the "widowed mom moving on with her love life" story caused his unpopularity. Jennifer/Daniel were already a couple when a living Jack returned from being held hostage after pursuing a story that got out of hand, and Jennifer unable to forgive or choose between the men owing to that particular absence didn't play well (also Dannifer 1.0 wasn't convincingly epic enough). Also some found the Jonases' insertion into the canvas contrived (though mostly Melanie). Things snowballed from there, in conjunction with the "Daniel Jonas is the greatest" part which IMO goes beyond the career context. I just don't think the situation is analogous to a potential scenario where Bo is presumed dead and Hope moves on. Couples fans sometimes hold grudges anyway (including myself TBH) but I think it'd be less intense.

Given Jack's death I don't begrudge Jennifer moving on in theory (it's a soap, plus I was genuinely interested in her on her own), but they kinda bungled the execution trying to fix problems by doing the things that partly caused them. Ironically, until the outlook changes I'd rather them be together -- and backburned -- than watch their angst. I find that angst overwrought (though potentially a good avenue to explore Jennifer's abandonment issues, but they wouldn't want to attribute her attraction to Daniel to that, so why expect) and the praising contrived (I didn't even know he was supposed to be a heroic brilliant Macguyver type until he told me) and that turns me off right now.

(And to get really real, reactions to anything Jack related are more tense because of the history of firing MA, even though other actors can't possibly account for that. And I don't expect SC to account for all of the above I just vomited out, he's trying to do his job in a brief interview, I just want TPTB to know what the real deal is because I don't think they get it.)

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Quote:

I don't think the "widowed mom moving on with her love life" story caused his unpopularity.

Agreed. I actually think that storyline could be kind of interesting to watch...with the right characters and plot points.

So it's not that I'm not a fan of the concept. I'm not a fan of the pacing, the love interest, and I hit a point where I was not a fan of the window, either. Also, the way it played out Jack and an unborn baby had to die to try and make this thing work. That's all kinds of hard to get past. Toss in the love-through-surgery aspect and Daniel the eggbaby...there's a lot I have to set aside as a viewer.

I hope he gets that it's the execution that kills it for some of us. The idea- I think people could get behind it. Hell, this is a genre where women fall in love with their rapists and audiences ship the characters for years. The fact that a character is a widow...I think viewers could get past it.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Part of the issue with Jack's death is that it was part of TomSell's campaign to erase everything that went on during MarDar's tenure. Remember, there were online rumors that they actually considered going the Dallas route and making MarDar's era all a dream.

But they still step by step went about erasing MarDar's stories. The only things they really couldn't get away with erasing were Will's coming out and Lexie's death. However, Will - after he had spent months struggling with the fact that he wasn't attracted to Gabi and had come to terms with being gay - jumped in bed with her because TomSell wanted a baby story, when the conception would have only sort of made sense when Will was still struggling.

The point is that Dannifer isn't written as a widow moving on story because TomSell never wanted to acknowledge Jack's return. They instead pretended that the audience would be as glad to replace Matt Ashford with Shawn Christian as they were for some bizarre and inexplicable reason.

They truly expected the audience to simply forget about Jack. Obviously, someone somewhere noticed the error of this and we've gotten JJ, but let's face it, he only exists to punish Jack fans (we are rape-loving, drug loving people who don't understand true love, get it?).

So, yeah, Dannifer was not written as a way to see Jennifer moving on. It has been written by writers who hope we forget Jack.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

greeneyedgirl
Sep 22 2013, 10:44 AM
I feel bad for SC because unlike some of this show he actually can act, sadly he is given awful storylines that make him look terrible!
THIS^^^^^

I watched "As The World Turns" after "Days" from 1989 till the show went off the air. ATWT was so very different than Days, and I loved the quality and acting so I turned the channel everyday at 2pm when Days ended. That great Proctor and Gamble feel of high quality sets, great wardrobes, great theme music, and classic soap storytelling. I like "Guiding Light" even more, and there was a time around 1991 that GL was my favorite soap, not Days! It was the first and last time, but gotta Alexandra Spaulding and Roger Thorpe!

POINT: Shawn Christian was actually really good on ATWT. He was a good fit with the show, and the writers understood how to balance character traits with "gray" characters. When it was first announced he was coming to Days to play a Doctor, I thought "That's a change of pace , but a big break for us. He a solid P&G actor"

Shawn can act when given just the slightest amount of good material. The problem we have here is TPTB want to make Daniel, a man that would date a girl and screw her grandmother, a hero. That is the WORST material you can give an artist period.

Then, it gets better, you have the sex crazed doctor who literally inserts himself into every female of any generation in a family, become a borderline Horton.

THEN: TPTB kill Jack off and they go back to a hated pairing with Shawn's character. Shawn's character is so poorly put together and out of left field it has caused me to hate Jennifer Rose Horton.

I am a Horton fanatic. When they carried this show, it has so much style, charisma and substance. The Horton's are the staple family and very backbone of this show, and they always will be. Even if there is only one Horton on the canvas, the Horton's are the original and dominate family on which Day's is built.

So for me to turn on Jennifer Rose? Yes.....It is Dan and the writing. The Horton's are doctors, and we are supposed to believe that Dan's behavior would be white washed as he started to date a legacy Horton?

IF TOM HORTON WERE ALIVE.........MacDonald Carey would insist this be dealt with and make sure the Horton family had objections. Mac always kept that moral fiber of the Horton clan there for the audience. Tom gave Jack the riot act when he started seeing Jennifer, and we understood why. Jack had been vindictive, spoiled, arrogant, and he had raped Kayla Brady, a girl that grew up next door to them. WE NEED DOUG AND JULIE TO FILL THE VOID!

Point is, Shawn is a good actor. He's orange sometimes, but he's a good actor. However, he has been given the most horribly created character I have seen put into a relationship with a Horton, and Jenn was part of a major supercouple. Shawn got in way above his head here, and if I were him, and had some financial stability, I'd bail.

bomber
Member Avatar

It's not just MarDar's tenure Tomlin is trying to erase, it's J&J's whole history. We are continually being told how Jack habitually abandoned his family and was AWOL for most of Abby's and JJ's childhoods. They have also morphed Jen from a strong, confident career woman into a clingy, lovelorn, weak milksop. I also don't see the point of a Jen as a "widow trying to get on with her life when we've seen that twice before - with Frankie and Patrick. there's nothing original in that scenario. Sc has a job to do so I guess he has to try to justify the ridiculousness that is Fetch but i'm afraid his explanations don't wash.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply