Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hannibal
Topic Started: Feb 16 2013, 11:29 PM (224 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I was super excited for this, I even kept pace of the developments: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8717025/1/

Having seen some Do No Harm and Deception, I'm now expecting it to be just ok as opposed to amazing

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Premiere is Thursday on NBC.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'd be more excited for this if it weren't on NBC. I hope it doesn't bomb in the ratings like most of NBC's shows seem to be doing.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Ok.

I watched.

I still barely have any f'ing idea what I just watched except for the Hannibal character preparing human body parts in his kitchen and eating them. I felt stupid and slow after it was over because of not "getting" it.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Was pretty good.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Wow, this surpassed my expectations - it could of been a cable show or movie - the direction and cinematography was breathtaking. The acting was top notch too. The way Lecter feels out Will and gets what he needs at the same time was masterfully executed. Gush gush I know, but I think this is easily the best pilot of the season. I haven't been wowed by a broadcast show like this in years! I hope it continues...

Thomson
Member Avatar

I watched the pilot even though I promised not to. I just had to see Mads Mikkelsen's performance, and it didn't disappoint. However, the show was kind of what I expected: slightly boring. Well made, but also boring. It's just that there has been so many find-the-serial killer shows, that Hannibal just feels like one more in the bunch. Though I do understand if someone likes this show, I just don't have the patience to continue watching it.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

I'm late to the party as usual but is this worth checking out?

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Definately worth checking out.

franciose

Southofsoap
Apr 5 2013, 04:35 PM
Wow, this surpassed my expectations - it could of been a cable show or movie - the direction and cinematography was breathtaking. The acting was top notch too. The way Lecter feels out Will and gets what he needs at the same time was masterfully executed. Gush gush I know, but I think this is easily the best pilot of the season. I haven't been wowed by a broadcast show like this in years! I hope it continues...

It surpassed my expectations, too. I agree with your comment about cinematography, direction, and acting. It is so beautiful; the use of light is painterly, and Mads Mikkelsen is probably the best actor I have ever seen. He has a face that is, as someone in the Huffington Post, I think, wrote: "the most delicate tool in the business". Twice, in his movies, I have seen that face change without one visible muscle movement, and I checked both times with rewind and slow motion. He has been for a decade, pretty much a one-man movie industry in Denmark.

The way he uses his face in Hannibal has been, until this season, the same: delicate and nearly unnoticeable. Unfortunately, this season he has clearly been directed to be more obvious, so you actually see his mouth smile. I guess Brian Fuller realizes that for American tv audiences, unless it's obvious, most won't see it. Still, MM can look like a sort of reptile in Hannibal but be absolutely gorgeous otherwise.

Too bad Americans mostly know him as a James Bond villain. They should all see "The Hunt", where, I believe, Fuller took the idea of the
stag. I saw him first in "Valhalla Rising". The man carries the entire film without saying one word!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I need to rewatch the finale to fully process what I just watched.

Brilliant hour of television!

Honeybees
Member Avatar

I love, love, and love this show some more. I know they play it straight, but it's so tongue in cheek (literarily sometimes) and normally I'm hyper-sensitive to gore, but this show is so stylized and over the top that it really doesn't bother me. It really has no relationship to real crime, especially the serial killer as performance artist theme.

Anyway, if you like the show - check out the twitter account @zoohannibal or Hannibal At the Zoo. Best parody ever.

http://io9.com/our-new-favorite-tumblr-hannibal-at-the-zoo-1581062095

franciose

Honeybees
May 26 2014, 03:39 PM
I love, love, and love this show some more. I know they play it straight, but it's so tongue in cheek (literarily sometimes) and normally I'm hyper-sensitive to gore, but this show is so stylized and over the top that it really doesn't bother me. It really has no relationship to real crime, especially the serial killer as performance artist theme.

Anyway, if you like the show - check out the twitter account @zoohannibal or Hannibal At the Zoo. Best parody ever.

http://io9.com/our-new-favorite-tumblr-hannibal-at-the-zoo-1581062095

I know! Every new "presentation" is such a stylized nightmare. WHO the heck dreams up these tableaux? A blooming tree, a totem pole, a mushroom garden?

The finale shocked and amazed me. Last year I obsessively checked the renewal status because I can not believe such a fabulous show is on NBC. Good grief, Abigale back and Bedelia on the plane! All three others bleeding on the floor/ground as Hannibal lets the rain cleanse him of these faithless idiots.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · NBC Primetime · Next Topic »
Add Reply