Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC Weekly Preview 9/30/13
Topic Started: Sep 27 2013, 04:12 PM (4,802 Views)
waterlilly
Member Avatar

annie21
Sep 27 2013, 06:27 PM
waterlilly
Sep 27 2013, 05:57 PM
In real life these things happen, an idolized father's sins are uncovered by his children after his death. In real life this would push an already troubled young man over the edge. He would be angry, very angry at everyone who was not honest with him. He would be angry at his sainted father, his deceptive mother, his sister and all relatives who he feels kept him in the dark while they all knew the truth. He would not embrace Taniel or anything to do with "let's pretend". But, this is DOOL! Sooooo JJ will probably go into the light of the orange glow.
Not only does this happen in real life, but it happened to Jack when he found out the truth about his adoption and about the exploits of his two dads. Jack was angry for a long time with everyone, and especially with those who had withheld the truth from him "for his own good."

There's no question this is an area ripe for drama. I just hate that all of that potential is in the hands of these particular writers, who don't have a good track record in this area.

So maybe Abby's comment to JJ about being his father's son could be fore shadowing?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

If it stays about Jack...about Kayla...about JJ and Jen and Abby, then I'm fine with it being revealed. It IS legitimate history, and people DO find out sometimes troubling things about a loved one after they've died. In that, it's realistic...and history should never be dismissed on a soap. History is opportunity.

BUT if they use this story to make Daniel the IT guy who now has JJ's approval because JJ found out his father had feet of clay, I'm not gonna be happy. JJ may accept Daniel someday. The story may go that way whether I like it or not...but if that happens, it should be about Daniel turning JJ's animosity around in some way, not because Jack wasn't perfect.

Daniel has no real business in this story. I hope he's far removed from it.

Kriss4

You know, they should take a page out of the past.

Bring back Jack as a ghost. Why not?

He can observe the goings on in the family. Make some observations and explanations. Might be fun.

And if they ever brought Matt back, it could all have been in JJ's fervent imagination.

Carly
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Sep 27 2013, 06:58 PM
You know, they should take a page out of the past.

Bring back Jack as a ghost. Why not?

He can observe the goings on in the family. Make some observations and explanations. Might be fun.

And if they ever brought Matt back, it could all have been in JJ's fervent imagination.
This really would be an excellent time for Jack's ghost to make an appearance. I would LOVE to see Casey Moss and Matt Ashford in scenes together. I don't know if Matt Ashford would return to DAYS after being jerked around so many times, but I remain hopeful....

I think Casey Moss is going to ROCK this upcoming storyline. And I'm glad that Mary Beth Evans is getting something significant to do. However, I'm 99% certain that this whole storyline will be about Dr. Perv. Daniel will be the one to comfort JJ in his time of need. Daniel will be the one who helps JJ to forgive Jack. At some point, JJ will probably tell Daniel, "You're a much better man than my father ever was." :frustration: Daniel will come out of this whole thing smelling like a rose, while Jack will be thrown even further under the frickin' bus.

I would be shocked if this storyline were really about the Deveraux family rather than just another excuse to prop up Dr. Perv.
Edited by Carly, Sep 27 2013, 07:24 PM.

Kriss4

I want it to be about Jack, JJ, and Kayla.

Not Daniel.

Like I said, he might be the reason a conversation starts between JJ and Kayla, but once that's out of the way, the focus should shift to what's really important, which is the reveal, and Kayla, JJ, Abby and Jen, and Adrienne's actions from that point onward.

Daniel should disappear after the initial mention, LOL! I wish he would literally disappear. Like, forever.

lysie
Member Avatar

annie21
Sep 27 2013, 05:50 PM
lysie
Sep 27 2013, 04:46 PM
supercool74
Sep 27 2013, 04:43 PM
Panda Panda
Sep 27 2013, 04:32 PM
I don't see how having Jack back would help JJ not hate him for what he did? Jack raped Kayla. There's no justification, no "other side", and no explanation behind his assault. And there shouldn't be.

I'm not too fond of the fact that this storyline is skating on the fringes of Fetch break/makeup #267253625362, but if the writers can somehow keep this story about JJ, Kayla, Jack, and Jennifer (ONLY THEM) then I wouldn't mind seeing how everything plays out
I don't think that's the point of having Jack back. It wouldn't keep JJ from hating him, but that is where the drama comes in. I just think having this story without Jack being involved at all is ....just wrong. It's going to all be about Daniel, and how JJ starts to accept him. That isn't at all what this should all be about. But I don't know any other reason to bring this all up when one of the key characters isn't even around. To me, it is a waste of a story without Jack. Sure, it might be a good story for a day or two, but if Jack were actually around....they could milk it for a whole lot more than what it will probably end up being.
The complaint would still be that it's all about Daniel even if Jack were there. Jack being there wouldn't affect that one little bit. It would affect other things, but not that. If they were misrepresenting the history, I could empathize with the outcry over this. But they're not. This is what happened and it's what happened whether Jack is alive or dead. The drama comes not from Jack having to defend himself but from his son learning the truth. And that's what we're getting at this point.
But a lot of things happened back then. And many of those things were interconnected. I am concerned that if these writers only pull out part of the story for their own purposes, there will be a tendency for many to be misled by the new telling (or the inadequate telling).

Let's look at this way. We all know that Jack raped Kayla. Many of us actually saw that played out onscreen. It was wrenching and horrible. We saw the act (well, kind of), and we saw the aftermath as it affected both Jack and Kayla -- and others around them. It definitely "happened."

We also saw the events leading up to it, including when Kayla was shown to carry on an affair with Steve behind her husband's back, and lying to Jack for months. This also "happened."

Now, let's say that a few years from now, a new writing team decides to kill off Kayla and later tell a coming of age story about her son Joey. And let's say they decide he finds out that his mom was a lying, cheating woman who cuckolded her first husband -- perhaps because the writers want to diminish Kayla in the eyes of her son.

I would be incensed and enraged that a writing team would cynically take something that was so powerful and exploit it and twist it like that.

I am NOT excusing what Jack did. I am NOT saying that JJ shouldn't find out the truth. But what I am saying is that I don't want these writers to be the ones to bring it back up. They have given me no confidence whatsoever that they can handle the kind of complexity this warrants. Worse, I'm concerned that the "accepted canon" of what transpired will be altered by their mucking around in it.

This implies that the writers would misrepresent Kayla to further Joey's story. That's not what's happening with JJ. But as far as her kids finding out about that...I don't see why they'd care whether she was dead or alive. It's no where near the same as finding out your dad raped your aunt. You're not going to find many if any examples of me being against the show bringing up accurate parts of history, and what they're bringing up about Jack is accurate. Unless they keep it at just assault and don't use the word rape. That would bother me. Otherwise, it happened and I'd love for them to actually deal with the ramifications again now that involves more people.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Days is just horrible at dealing with issues like this. It just proves to show that if they want to sell a romance that happened after a rape they will refuse to mention the rape for years but if they want to bring a rape up that happened over 20 yrs ago, and use it as a plot point in a current story they'll do it. If it were any other show I've give them the benefit of the doubt but it's Days so I'm weary.

cscarly

KweenBoda
Sep 27 2013, 04:16 PM
I despise Tomlin and Corday. There was NO reason for this crap. All they want to do is pimp out Dr. Dan and GAGGIFER. They should be ashamed of themselves. :flipoff:
I know hate they did chloe treating her that way she jump from kate to Vivian
nobody but brady cared about her look at it he didn't know where child even at
father or no father they still looked after chloe his ex wife he didn't even care about
her how could Jennifer want be somebody like that .

annie21

lysie
Sep 27 2013, 07:28 PM
annie21
Sep 27 2013, 05:50 PM
lysie
Sep 27 2013, 04:46 PM
supercool74
Sep 27 2013, 04:43 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
The complaint would still be that it's all about Daniel even if Jack were there. Jack being there wouldn't affect that one little bit. It would affect other things, but not that. If they were misrepresenting the history, I could empathize with the outcry over this. But they're not. This is what happened and it's what happened whether Jack is alive or dead. The drama comes not from Jack having to defend himself but from his son learning the truth. And that's what we're getting at this point.
But a lot of things happened back then. And many of those things were interconnected. I am concerned that if these writers only pull out part of the story for their own purposes, there will be a tendency for many to be misled by the new telling (or the inadequate telling).

Let's look at this way. We all know that Jack raped Kayla. Many of us actually saw that played out onscreen. It was wrenching and horrible. We saw the act (well, kind of), and we saw the aftermath as it affected both Jack and Kayla -- and others around them. It definitely "happened."

We also saw the events leading up to it, including when Kayla was shown to carry on an affair with Steve behind her husband's back, and lying to Jack for months. This also "happened."

Now, let's say that a few years from now, a new writing team decides to kill off Kayla and later tell a coming of age story about her son Joey. And let's say they decide he finds out that his mom was a lying, cheating woman who cuckolded her first husband -- perhaps because the writers want to diminish Kayla in the eyes of her son.

I would be incensed and enraged that a writing team would cynically take something that was so powerful and exploit it and twist it like that.

I am NOT excusing what Jack did. I am NOT saying that JJ shouldn't find out the truth. But what I am saying is that I don't want these writers to be the ones to bring it back up. They have given me no confidence whatsoever that they can handle the kind of complexity this warrants. Worse, I'm concerned that the "accepted canon" of what transpired will be altered by their mucking around in it.

This implies that the writers would misrepresent Kayla to further Joey's story. That's not what's happening with JJ. But as far as her kids finding out about that...I don't see why they'd care whether she was dead or alive. It's no where near the same as finding out your dad raped your aunt. You're not going to find many if any examples of me being against the show bringing up accurate parts of history, and what they're bringing up about Jack is accurate. Unless they keep it at just assault and don't use the word rape. That would bother me. Otherwise, it happened and I'd love for them to actually deal with the ramifications again now that involves more people.
I'm reminded of a story:

"A ship's captain one day recorded in the ship’s log, 'First-mate drunk today.' It was a true statement, but was the first incident where the mate had been drunk while on duty. The mate pleaded with the captain to amend the statement, but the captain, a teetotaler, refused, saying it was a true statement. The next time the First-mate was in charge of the ship, he recorded in the log, 'Captain sober today.'"

Context matters. And just telling JJ "your father raped your aunt" is certainly a true statement. But it's a disservice to the story and all the players involved to leave it at that.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Sep 27 2013, 05:24 PM
Panda Panda
Sep 27 2013, 04:32 PM
I don't see how having Jack back would help JJ not hate him for what he did? Jack raped Kayla. There's no justification, no "other side", and no explanation behind his assault. And there shouldn't be.

I'm not too fond of the fact that this storyline is skating on the fringes of Fetch break/makeup #267253625362, but if the writers can somehow keep this story about JJ, Kayla, Jack, and Jennifer (ONLY THEM) then I wouldn't mind seeing how everything plays out
Have you seen the story?

It's complicated. Not to in any way excuse Jack or absolve him from responsibility, because he did it, and Kayla suffered when he did. It was despicable. But it was a mess of decision-making, lots of it with good intentions but a lack of wisdom.

Now, figure THAT out, LOL!
It was complicated? Really?

Jack was the perpetrator and Kayla was the victim. There's no amount of context prior to that can or will change the fact that Jack raped Kayla. While on the one hand, I am glad that he was able to fully understand the severity of his actions and change his life around for the better, but on the other hand I don't really give a damn if he did suffer because he wasn't the victim in that crime then or now. Kayla was and now his actions are being brought to light for his children to discover.

Now, I do think they should have people tell JJ that Jack did make a change for the better and managed to make amends with Kayla(eh), but it should in no way excuse his actions or add to his "tragic character" by adding " complicated reasons" for his rape of Kayla. It's completely disrespectful.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

I'm not against it coming out. Not at all. I've been waiting a long time to see something like this, whether Jack's here or not. It would be better if he was here, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see it.

I do.

And I'm probably the hugest Kayla fan around. Certainly I'm one of the hugest, LOL!

Even though the circumstances WERE complicated, I hated Jack for a long time. A very long time. Ask anyone who watched Days with me at the time! Despised him. Would want to throw something at the television when his face appeared. I didn't care who played him...Joseph Adams or Matt Ashford or Howdy Doody. I hated Jack Deveraux.

So don't think I mean to disrespect Kayla, ever...or excuse Jack in any way. Just wondering if you saw it or if you knew how it went down...

It's at that place. All of it.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

I didn't see the episodes while they were airing, but I was able to see most of the older days episodes by watching recorded episodes on video tapes throughout the years.

Ugh, Days just really need to get with the times and release their older episodes for purchase online, lol.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

This is one of the best promos I've seen in many a moon. The actual use of the flashback gave me chills.

If you take Daniel out of the equation (and it looks like he's not a part of this now) there is so much dramatic soapy goodness to this. I do agree with Lysie---while I wish Jack was here, the fact that he is dead and his son is still grieving for him adds an emotional subtext and beat to the ramifications of the reveal. I am very interested in seeing what kind of catalyst this will be for JJ's character---will he go much darker or will this lead him to re-examine his life and make a change for the better.

T-Love74
Member Avatar

The Rape: @3:33 mark

PART 2:

specialcases
Member Avatar
your own "personal" Jesus

"Dr. Dorito" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

I do not see the problem of jj find out after Jack being dead if Jack being alive it been foucs on him too while it should foucs on Kayla more she is the victim the problem with Kayla status on show I do not see them foucs on her the problem with writers bring this up now after years most fans did not want it push under rug and being mentioned these current writers was busy trash Jack character on things he never did and it seem almost everyone trash Jack the character that does not trash and defend Jack is JJ like most likely in the end that JJ should feel badly for defending and care for his father I think most fans of Jack feel that writers trying to say to Jack fans that should not defend and care about Jack character. These writers I have not trust they do justice with the story and hear Abby heard off screen it's annoying

Kriss4

Man. So tough, those clips.

Kayla was so unhappy married to Jack. Kept in the dark about the truth...that Jack was Steve's much loved and long ago lost baby brother, Billy. Steve didn't tell her when he discovered the truth. He dumped her with a shore "leave speech." He was hoping that if Kayla married Jack, Jack would fight for his life.

Well, Kayla married him, and she was miserable the whole time...trying to make Jack happy...but never happy herself. At first he was sick...couldn't have a physical relationship with her. Then she was sick. Harper thought she'd discovered Jack's adoption papers and would tell Jack he wasn't a Deveraux. He didn't want that to happen, so he poisoned her.

Steve figured out she was being poisoned, but not who was doing it. He snuck in and rescued her. Took her somewhere to hide out, and nursed her back to health. It was there he finally told her the truth. That he loved her...that Jack was Billy. They made love once.

Steve convinced Kayla to stick with the marriage til after the election. At least then jack would be left with something, because he really wanted to follow in his father's footsteps and being an assemblyman was the first step. But if news of an affair leaked out, Jack might lose everything.

But a reporter saw Steve and Kayla together and sent Jack pictures the very night of the election.

He went crazy and raped her.

Romancer66

Kriss4
Sep 28 2013, 02:32 PM
Man. So tough, those clips.

Kayla was so unhappy married to Jack. Kept in the dark about the truth...that Jack was Steve's much loved and long ago lost baby brother, Billy. Steve didn't tell her when he discovered the truth. He dumped her with a shore "leave speech." He was hoping that if Kayla married Jack, Jack would fight for his life.

Well, Kayla married him, and she was miserable the whole time...trying to make Jack happy...but never happy herself. At first he was sick...couldn't have a physical relationship with her. Then she was sick. Harper thought she'd discovered Jack's adoption papers and would tell Jack he wasn't a Deveraux. He didn't want that to happen, so he poisoned her.

Steve figured out she was being poisoned, but not who was doing it. He snuck in and rescued her. Took her somewhere to hide out, and nursed her back to health. It was there he finally told her the truth. That he loved her...that Jack was Billy. They made love once.

Steve convinced Kayla to stick with the marriage til after the election. At least then jack would be left with something, because he really wanted to follow in his father's footsteps and being an assemblyman was the first step. But if news of an affair leaked out, Jack might lose everything.

But a reporter saw Steve and Kayla together and sent Jack pictures the very night of the election.

He went crazy and raped her.
It sounds as if all three characters started out with good intentions, not wanting anyone to get hurt. And ultimately all of them got hurt. Hard to watch but an undeniably effective story--of the kind the show just doesn't tell anymore.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

YouTube?

granolagirl
Member Avatar

All of them got hurt, and it was a complicated story.

But it doesn't erase what Jack did... just like what Jack did doesn't erase Kayla cheating, or Steve's (yes, I'm going to say it) emotional abuse and manipulation of Kayla to get her to marry Jack. But only one of them committed a physical and sexual assault. Kayla and Steve have taken on some of the responsibility for that because they had to live together afterwards, but it doesn't take the rape off of Jack's shoulders. There was nothing that wasn't black or white about what he did.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply