Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC Weekly Preview 9/30/13
Topic Started: Sep 27 2013, 04:12 PM (4,689 Views)
Kriss4

Well, I can say honestly that this is the first promo in quite awhile that actually has me interested in what'll happen.

I know it's JJ's story, but I do have hopes that Kayla will get her say, and that we'll hear how she sees the whole thing all these years later.

The flashback gave me that hope...that has to come from Kayla, because she's the only one who was THERE that night to remember that now. So I have hope.

If that flashback was ONLY for the promo, then I'm outta luck, maybe.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Sep 28 2013, 02:32 PM
He went crazy and raped her.
Jack became enraged, yes, but I think the rape was a natural outcome of Jack's own character as it was established on the show. Jack was coddled by Anjelica and had a clear entitlement complex. Moreover, he was deep in denial about his relationship with Kayla, who had been sending him clear signals for months that she had no physical interest in him and was unlikely to develop any. Jack willfully ignored signs like finding Steve and Kayla in bed together. Jack made a choice to marry a woman who he knew was in love with someone else, too. Sometimes it sounds like he made a singular error with the rape, but he was always self-centered and entitled in the relationship.

Kriss4

granolagirl
Sep 29 2013, 01:07 AM
Kriss4
Sep 28 2013, 02:32 PM
He went crazy and raped her.
Jack became enraged, yes, but I think the rape was a natural outcome of Jack's own character as it was established on the show. Jack was coddled by Anjelica and had a clear entitlement complex. Moreover, he was deep in denial about his relationship with Kayla, who had been sending him clear signals for months that she had no physical interest in him and was unlikely to develop any. Jack willfully ignored signs like finding Steve and Kayla in bed together. Jack made a choice to marry a woman who he knew was in love with someone else, too. Sometimes it sounds like he made a singular error with the rape, but he was always self-centered and entitled in the relationship.
Yeah. He was spoiled. The son of the wealthy and respected Harper Deveraux. The apple of his indulgent daddy's eye.

He was SUPPOSED to get everything he wanted. He was nice when he came to town, but he'd never been tested, either. Save for his illness, everything pretty much went his way. When he fell for Kayla, he KNEW she loved Steve. He dismissed it as kind of unimportant. It was just an obstacle he needed to deal with...Every comment he made, every action...it was all about HIM. It certainly wasn't about Kayla. It was about HIS dreams. What HE wanted. What he expected to happen eventually. It was about the life HE wanted, not the life she actually wanted.

She told him she loved Steve. Repeatedly. He couldn't accept it. Didn't want to see that she'd never really be his.

He turned a blind eye to the truth. Waited til he was sick in the hospital to propose. What a position to put someone in! How do you say no to a guy who everyone thinks is probably gonna die? She was damned if she did, and damned if she didn't. A lot of people were pressuring her to marry him, too.

Kayla made her share of mistakes there. She could have told him the truth after the safe house. She could have done that, and should have done that. She did lie to Jack. She did put him off when he wanted to make love with her.. She did have the affair with Steve.

It wasn't pretty. Well-intentioned, but not pretty.

Jack did eventually grow up. He did eventually see the things he'd done and work hard to make amends. He eventually turned his life around, with Jennifer's help and support.
Edited by Kriss4, Sep 29 2013, 02:21 AM.

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

To take on this story (which I have wanted to see for YEARS) takes a level of writing depth this writing staff doesn't have. This writing regime does nothing but shallow beats with no layering before moving on to the next shiny object. I don't think anyone will wind up happy with how this goes (except maybe Casey Moss' agent, who'll be glad to have a handful of Emmy submission clips).

My guess is it won't be about Kayla, and it won't be about Jack. This will wind up being about JJ's short reaction and then his acceptance of Daniel. And then it'll be on to the next story where someone else is made to prop the insufferable chemistry-free, energy-draining couple that is Dannifer.
Edited by somuchwhatever, Sep 29 2013, 08:23 AM.

Kriss4

I don't think it's gonna be about Kayla or Jack, no matter how much I'd like it to be.

I can talk all day about what I want, but what I want isn't what I expect.

I do hope Kayla has a bigger part than the revealer. I hope her distress is evident and that after it's all out there she and JJ discuss her thoughts about it now, and her eventual achievement of that wary peace with Jack, and why she could forgive him.

I want to see if it still affects her now. It's been years, but it's such a hard thing.

I would love it is she and Jen discussed it now, or she and Adrienne. They've all experienced rape. They all know what it's about on a personal level.

Thing about it is that it can still be good. It's about JJ, and it could be solid stuff. I don't think he's the strongest actor out there, but maybe he can make it work.

As long as its not a vehicle to force Daniel to be accepted, because on that front? Not gonna happen. If Daniel is to be accepted, let HIM earn it, not get it by default because Jack wasn't a saint.

I know Kayla likes Daniel. I'm not surprised she'll defend him. Makes sense. But she sees the easy-going Daniel who does good work as a surgeon, and cares about Jen.
She's never seen the turmoil, the arguments, the manhandling, the short fuse, the "it's all about how we should be together no matter how JJ feels" stance he took even when Jen asked him for space. Took him awhile to respect her wishes.

Kayla doesn't see that part of him. I wish she would. That would be great! I wish she'd see something from Daniel that would make her listen more closely to JJ, and start watching...wondering...re-evaluating the idea that he's great with Jennifer...guy's a womanizer.

If he got seriously tempted by Theresa and Kayla walked in..those wheels would start turning. I know Theresa's just scheming, but maybe he'd succumb.
Edited by Kriss4, Sep 29 2013, 09:36 AM.

bygnedys

It would be nice if it was a set up for J.J. to try to get his life together. People could tell him that his dad was messed up but he got his life together and made a good life of being a husband and father and a good brother to Adrienne. I hope when he talks to Adrienne that she can put some of it in context for him.

Under the surface, Harper taught Jack to not really respect women. The only woman he really respected was Angelica, because he loved her like a mother. It took meeting Jennifer before Jack was able to really begin to respect a woman. It wasn't just Kayla, after he finally gave Kayla a divorce, he treated Melissa terribly.

Romancer66

Kriss4
Sep 29 2013, 09:17 AM
I don't think it's gonna be about Kayla or Jack, no matter how much I'd like it to be.

I can talk all day about what I want, but what I want isn't what I expect.

I do hope Kayla has a bigger part than the revealer. I hope her distress is evident and that after it's all out there she and JJ discuss her thoughts about it now, and her eventual achievement of that wary peace with Jack, and why she could forgive him.

I want to see if it still affects her now. It's been years, but it's such a hard thing.

I would love it is she and Jen discussed it now, or she and Adrienne. They've all experienced rape. They all know what it's about on a personal level.

Thing about it is that it can still be good. It's about JJ, and it could be solid stuff. I don't think he's the strongest actor out there, but maybe he can make it work.

As long as its not a vehicle to force Daniel to be accepted, because on that front? Not gonna happen. If Daniel is to be accepted, let HIM earn it, not get it by default because Jack wasn't a saint.

I know Kayla likes Daniel. I'm not surprised she'll defend him. Makes sense. But she sees the easy-going Daniel who does good work as a surgeon, and cares about Jen.
She's never seen the turmoil, the arguments, the manhandling, the short fuse, the "it's all about how we should be together no matter how JJ feels" stance he took even when Jen asked him for space. Took him awhile to respect her wishes.

Kayla doesn't see that part of him. I wish she would. That would be great! I wish she'd see something from Daniel that would make her listen more closely to JJ, and start watching...wondering...re-evaluating the idea that he's great with Jennifer...guy's a womanizer.

If he got seriously tempted by Theresa and Kayla walked in..those wheels would start turning. I know Theresa's just scheming, but maybe he'd succumb.
Problem is, Daniel never EARNS anything. It gets handed to him on a silver platter--and it usually belonged to someone else first. Like Philip's son--and most infamously, Jack's life. That's what sticks in a lot of viewers' craws about him. If this development is just so he can "win" JJ's affection and allegiance by default, then it's already dead in the water, as far as I'm concerned.

As for Kayla defending Daniel to JJ ... I'm ambivalent about that. She and Daniel are co-workers on good terms, but they're not family or really close friends. And while Kayla has a right to whatever negative or ambivalent feelings she may still have about Jack, it's not her place or anyone else's to change how JJ feels about his father. If Stephanie was talking about what a wonderful dad Steve was and some other Salemite who remembered Steve from his hired thug days mentioned that he wasn't always such a great guy, I don't think Kayla would be too happy with that person. I think children do have the right to remember the best about their parents, especially if it gives them comfort. Besides, time, experience, and maturity eventually disabuses them of the notion that Mom and Dad were perfect, so why force the issue? And it bugs me anyway that JJ comparing Daniel unfavorably to Jack is apparently the catalyst for Kayla flashing back to the rape. Seriously? Why can't it be something more dramatic, plausible, and relevant to Kayla herself, like her treating a rape victim in ER or putting in some time at a rape counseling center? Then it would make sense that her own rape would be on her mind when she encountered JJ.

I agree that it would make a great storyline if Kayla did see that other, less genial side of Daniel. If she witnessed how inappropriately close he gets to his patients, especially the female ones. If she saw him eyeballing other women in the wake of his latest break-up with Jennifer. At this point, I'd be happy if just one person on Daniel's hospital pep squad took off the rose-colored glasses when it came to this guy, and it would be most satisfying if it was a significant character like Kayla, with roots and history on the show.

DayDreamer
Member Avatar
Fan of EJ+ABBY!

youtube video of this?

Sevprince

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

james0479
Sep 27 2013, 06:27 PM
Ok I'm gonna give my 2 cents here. I'm with Lysie. While I do understand Jack fans being upset about this, Jack did rape Kayla and while his character did turn around and become a fan favorite legacy character who was thrown under the bus more times than pretty much anyone in Days history, this is an interesting nod TO Days history and I think it's an interesting arc for JJ's troubled teen story. Casey looks like he's giving a HELL of a performance from this short clip and I look forward to it. I don't, however, want this to be a catalyst to have JJ fall into the arms of Daniel and call him poppa....but this is something that hasn't been addressed in forever and Kayla surely thinks of it from time to time. I'm on board for this. I wish someone would remind someone that EJ did the same thing to his favorite princess Samanther at one time but I know we just aren't supposed to talk about that.
In this case, I agree, and I'll complain if it turns into another Daniel lovefest. But based on that promo, the emotional beats for JJ are awesome, and they have a fantastic young actor to carry this out. Bringing out long time skeletons in the closet should be a soap staple. We don't bury history in our own lives, so why can't this come out? Of course, to be fair, we should also find out Daniel had drugged and murdered his first wife, but I'll be patient and maybe be rewarded that TanMan's secrets will also come out. I LOVE shades of gray. At least in most characters.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

She's not necessarily trying to change his opinion about Jack. She gets irritated, makes a slip, then clams up. JJ goes elsewhere for answers first, I think. Maybe he finds the transcripts and then pushes for answers.

But as a rule, Kayla isn't vindictive, and if she'd wanted to, she had plenty of opportunity to tell the kids the truth long ago. She didn't.

I'm curious to see how it plays out. But I will say one thing...she was the victim of Jack at that time. He raped her, then he threatened and intimidated her to boot.

She may have a care for Jj's feelings and his perception of his dad..if she's saying he assaulted her, she's already downplaying it for him...but she has to what? Shield Jack for his son's sake?

Part of me respects that. Part of me feels a little sad for her as well as JJ, because it must hurt her too, and she's had to swallow that down for years...for Steve's sake, and then for the kids.

Jack earned the forgiveness, but is the pain erased entirely because Jack was genuinely sorry?

Edited by Kriss4, Sep 29 2013, 03:44 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

T-Love74
Sep 28 2013, 01:24 PM
The Rape: @3:33 mark

PART 2:
Damn, I miss Matt Ashford.

Kriss4

I miss stories with depth and tangled feelings. I miss the heartache and real longing and joy.

uclan
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Sep 29 2013, 03:40 PM
james0479
Sep 27 2013, 06:27 PM
Ok I'm gonna give my 2 cents here. I'm with Lysie. While I do understand Jack fans being upset about this, Jack did rape Kayla and while his character did turn around and become a fan favorite legacy character who was thrown under the bus more times than pretty much anyone in Days history, this is an interesting nod TO Days history and I think it's an interesting arc for JJ's troubled teen story. Casey looks like he's giving a HELL of a performance from this short clip and I look forward to it. I don't, however, want this to be a catalyst to have JJ fall into the arms of Daniel and call him poppa....but this is something that hasn't been addressed in forever and Kayla surely thinks of it from time to time. I'm on board for this. I wish someone would remind someone that EJ did the same thing to his favorite princess Samanther at one time but I know we just aren't supposed to talk about that.
In this case, I agree, and I'll complain if it turns into another Daniel lovefest. But based on that promo, the emotional beats for JJ are awesome, and they have a fantastic young actor to carry this out. Bringing out long time skeletons in the closet should be a soap staple. We don't bury history in our own lives, so why can't this come out? Of course, to be fair, we should also find out Daniel had drugged and murdered his first wife, but I'll be patient and maybe be rewarded that TanMan's secrets will also come out. I LOVE shades of gray. At least in most characters.
Agreeing with both of you. I will withhold any complaints until I see how this plays out. It would be awesome if this is a way to teach JJ that mistakes in like can be made but you can turn it around and move forward.

I didn't watch when Jack assaulted Kayla, but I did watch the you tube clip. Looking at it from today's perspective, there was lots of grey. No one was a complete fault; all 3 played a significant part in what occurred. Sure Jack's kid need to be aware of what happened and there should be some kind of fallout from learning of that act. Based on what we have been allowed to see of Jack's relationship with his children, there should have been some sort of acting out by Abby since she already knows. (Maybe that could explain the golden circle stuff.)

It's hard for me to reconcile the emphasis placed on Jack's act of violence and the complete whitewash of EJs.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

I miss Matt Ashford (and Stephen Nichols) in those kinds of stories. I don't miss as much what they had in recent years.
Edited by granolagirl, Sep 29 2013, 04:01 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

uclan
Sep 29 2013, 03:55 PM
I didn't watch when Jack assaulted Kayla, but I did watch the you tube clip. Looking at it from today's perspective, there was lots of grey. No one was a complete fault; all 3 played a significant part in what occurred.
Each was at fault for different things. There was nothing gray about the rape itself, or exculpatory for Jack in the others' wrongdoings.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Sep 29 2013, 03:46 PM
T-Love74
Sep 28 2013, 01:24 PM
The Rape: @3:33 mark

PART 2:
Damn, I miss Matt Ashford.
I miss Matt and Stephen Nichols and most importantly, the Days of our Lives that once was. With compelling, dramatic stories and interesting layered characters. Those clips really show me how far this show has fallen. I also hate how Jack was reduced to a grandpa sweater wearing background character during his last run. The character is so much more interesting when he's being a jerk, not that I want him to come back and be a criminal or rapist, but Jack with an edge was so much better than what MarDar, Tomlin, Higley, etc. gave us.
Edited by JDeveraux_91, Sep 29 2013, 04:10 PM.

Romancer66

Kriss4
Sep 29 2013, 03:42 PM
She's not necessarily trying to change his opinion about Jack. She gets irritated, makes a slip, then clams up. JJ goes elsewhere for answers first, I think. Maybe he finds the transcripts and then pushes for answers.

But as a rule, Kayla isn't vindictive, and if she'd wanted to, she had plenty of opportunity to tell the kids the truth long ago. She didn't.

I'm curious to see how it plays out. But I will say one thing...she was the victim of Jack at that time. He raped her, then he threatened and intimidated her to boot.

She may have a care for Jj's feelings and his perception of his dad..if she's saying he assaulted her, she's already downplaying it for him...but she has to what? Shield Jack for his son's sake?

Part of me respects that. Part of me feels a little sad for her as well as JJ, because it must hurt her too, and she's had to swallow that down for years...for Steve's sake, and then for the kids.

Jack earned the forgiveness, but is the pain erased entirely because Jack was genuinely sorry?

I don't think it's really about shielding Jack anymore--he's "dead" at the moment, so what he'd feel about all this resurfacing is kind of a moot point. It's more about recognizing that JJ's positive feelings about Jack are as valid as her negative/ambivalent ones about him. And would telling Jack's son about the rape ease Kayla's pain--or would it just spread that pain to someone who had nothing to do with it because he didn't even exist at the time? Kayla isn't vindictive, I agree, and she doesn't strike me as someone who'd visit the sins of the father on the son. She may even feel guilty later on learning that JJ went digging for answers and spiraled out of control when he found them. It's a gray area, and there are no easy solutions. On the other hand, I don't know why Kayla would be surprised or even irritated that a son prefers his father to his mother's new boyfriend. Or that the son thinks the new boyfriend is a jerk. Why should it matter to Kayla that her nephew thinks more highly of his father than of Daniel, who's nothing more than a co-worker to her? Wouldn't any loyal son feel the same way? It just irritates me that Daniel plays any part in this scenario at all, even an indirect one. I think most people can agree that there's plenty of drama in this situation without inserting him into the mix.

esp13
Member Avatar

Yeah. I have no problem with the layers to the story and the buildup to the rape. But what Jack did doesn't get excused - even a little bit - because of Steve and Kayla's mistakes. He had the right to be hurt, angry, and betrayed. He had NO right to rape Kayla because of anything she did or didn't do.

LovinXtina
Member Avatar

I started watching in 2000 so I just watched those scenes. I never new Kayla and Jack were married. When did they get married?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply