Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday, October 3rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Oct 3 2013, 12:00 AM (6,609 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

Keith
Oct 3 2013, 04:30 PM
I could have done without Kayla running into Daniel at the Pub, but I'm still not getting this is a "Daniel is awesome story". Not yet. And hopefully what CM said in his DR interview rings true. Yes, Daniel's presence was used to bring this to light, with JJ comparing Jack and Daniel, but I have slightly more faith to actually watch the show in front of me instead of imaging what isn't there.
THANK YOU!! Nothing that has been said by Kayla has been about Daniel being awesome or perfect. She didn't tell JJ that or anything close to it. If this story is all about Daniel being awesome, it's not because of anything that has actually been onscreen.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

I'm so over JJ and blah blah blah and what happened 30 years ago, sorry but this story is not interesting maybe because I do not find the characters interesting in this story. or rather, I could care less, Today's topnotch scenes not unexpected, EJ and Sami, Stefano. in my opinion ..)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

The Scorpion
Oct 3 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm so over JJ and blah blah blah and what happened 30 years ago, sorry but this story is not interesting maybe because I do not find the characters interesting in this story. or rather, I could care less, Today's topnotch scenes not unexpected, EJ and Sami, Stefano. in my opinion ..)
Yes. Because EJ and Sami aren't discussed ad nauseam every day, in every thread, whether they are on-screen or not.

Romancer66

esp13
Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 04:03 PM
esp13
Oct 3 2013, 03:18 PM
Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 02:04 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
So wait? Kayla's not 100% right when she says that Daniel is not a monster and Jack was all too human? How is that out of line? How is that telling Daniel he is perfect? When has she EVER said he was perfect? Just because she's his friend has never meant that she thought he was perfect.

And sure, JJ has a right to his feelings but why is Kayla required to coddle them when they aren't based on the truth? Daniel is not, and has not been, the monster that JJ has painted him to be -- especially not to JJ. Jack was not perfect, was not a saint, and the pedestal that JJ has placed him on is not a place Jack would have ever been comfortable with.

Kayla has every right - in fact more right than anybody - to her feelings and, god forbid, to be human herself when it comes to her feelings about Jack. She's not the villain in this piece. She was the victim and if she wants to shout out what Jack did from the rooftops she has that right. It is not her duty or obligation to protect Jack's legacy by hiding the truth or coddling his son's na´ve view of the man. Yet, she's done that pretty much since the rape happened. She put her feelings aside so Steve could have a relationship with his brother, even to the point of letting her rapist be the best man at her wedding. And yet, she makes one slip and dares not to drink the Kool-Aid that Jack is awesome and Daniel is a monster and now she's the villain. Sorry, I don't buy it.
Who says Kayla has to "coddle" JJ's feelings about Jack? Why not simply accept that he feels differently about his father than she does, that he always will, that his feelings are no less valid than hers, and just leave it at that? Why does JJ "have to" stop comparing Jack and Daniel? And what gives Kayla or anyone else the right to decide that this is something he "has to" do? I don't see Kayla as the villain, much as I loathe that they made her Fetch-prop today, but I do see her overstepping the mark here. And going by the dialogue, it does look as if she came thisclose to saying Jack was a monster, before substituting the phrase "all too human" at the last minute. And "monster" is no more accurate a term for Jack than "saint." (Personally, I'd just call him a flawed man who worked hard to become a better man.) None of these characters belong on pedestals, though they don't necessarily deserve to be cast into outer darkness either. Although I wouldn't mind Daniel being cast into Outer Mongolia.
Because JJ's rants against Daniel are not based on anything that Daniel has actually done and the pedestal he put his father on is not based on reality either.

Look if JJ's dislike of Daniel was either based on something rational or less OTT and JJ didn't have Jack on a saintly pedestal (regardless of whether he knew about the rape or not), I'd agree with you. JJ's entitled to dislike Daniel and love his father. But, yes, when he's vilifying Daniel for no reason and painting his father to be a saint that he wasn't, I think Kayla has the right to tell him he's wrong. She sure as hell has the right to disagree with him and explain why she think's he's wrong.

And, more than any of that, she has an absolute right not to be perfect and objective when it comes to Jack. Just because they moved past the rape doesn't meant she's required to forget it, or not have any feelings about it. I find it strange that JJ is entitled to hate Daniel for little or no reason, but Kayla's feelings about Jack aren't valid because, well, it's been awhile and he said he was sorry. She was raped and she's entitled to have whatever feelings she wants about that -- including viewing (in that moment of emotion) Jack as a monster.
JJ's actually cited several reasons for not liking Daniel, and they include things that Daniel has actually done: 1) he abandoned his kid (and only cared about him after discovering he was the bio dad). 2)he broke up JJ's uncle's marriage by screwing his wife. 3) he initiated "that stupid date-off" with Mom, intending to crush JJ's father like a bug. JJ pointed out all these things to Abigail who offered the feeble defense that "things were more complicated than that." (Which impressed me about as much as it impressed JJ.)

And I doubt JJ finds Daniel's tendency to get physical with him--which he's done at least three times--endearing either. It's unsettling that Daniel's default reaction when angry is to grab, yell, shove, shake, punch, or otherwise beat to a pulp--just ask Philip, Dario, and the drunk he slugged when he and Jennifer went clubbing. If nothing else, you'd think he'd be more careful of his "magic" hands.

And just as JJ never saw the Jack that Kayla knew, the one who hurt and violated her, Kayla's never seen the Daniel with the uber-short fuse, the overcompetitive jerk who has to win at all costs, the predator who screws his patients and who actively pursued another man's wife, believing himself entitled to her just because he wanted her. He may never have been the villain Jack was for a time, but he's never been the hero that Jack could sometimes be, either.

So for me, it's not as simple to say JJ's perceptions of Jack and Daniel are wholly wrong and Kayla's wholly right. TPTB may want me to think it is, but there are too many shades of gray here for me to buy that. And when it comes to asserting that Kayla is somehow "more right" and thus entitled to impose her views on someone who passionately disagrees with her, well, I can't say I buy that either. She has a right to feel what she feels, JJ has the right to feel what he feels. Sometimes all you can do with an impasse is respect it and walk away.
Edited by Romancer66, Oct 3 2013, 05:08 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 05:05 PM
the predator who screws his patients and who actively pursued another man's wife, believing himself entitled to her just because he wanted her
I watched Danloe and enjoyed it. In no way was it not a mutual attraction, or was Chloe (Lucas' wife of five minutes after they sexed each other up in an elevator during a power outage) Lucas' property to be taken.

I'm not a fan of everything Daniel has done, but I have never seen Daniel do anything comparable to raping a woman, imprisoning her and terrorizing her in her apartment, hiring goons to beat someone up, defunding public programs to toy with people he resented, or having industrial practices in his business that led to anyone's cancer. The worst thing I can think that Daniel did was lie in a professional hearing to protect a friend.
Edited by granolagirl, Oct 3 2013, 05:23 PM.

Romancer66

granolagirl
Oct 3 2013, 05:16 PM
Romancer66
the predator who screws his patients and who actively pursued another man's wife, believing himself entitled to her just because he wanted her
I watched Danloe and enjoyed it. In no way was it not a mutual attraction, or was Chloe (Lucas' wife of five minutes after they sexed each other up in an elevator during a power outage) Lucas' property to be taken.
The attraction being mutual doesn't make his actions any less inappropriate. Especially his groping Chloe during her breast exam, and telling her it was all in her head. That was, in a word, gross--and I'm amazed that whoever was writing at the time thought that was even remotely sexy.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Keith
I could have done without Kayla running into Daniel at the Pub, but I'm still not getting this is a "Daniel is awesome story". Not yet. And hopefully what CM said in his DR interview rings true. Yes, Daniel's presence was used to bring this to light, with JJ comparing Jack and Daniel, but I have slightly more faith to actually watch the show in front of me instead of imaging what isn't there.
I don't think this seems like a Daniel is awesome story either. I think that's definitely a beat they will play (because they pretty much find a way to play that beat every day), but so far, it seems like the story is about JJ and his relationship with his family. I'm sure he will blame them for keeping this secret. I'm guessing he may decide that everybody in his family sucks now, including his dead dad. Etc., etc. Point is, I think the story is really about JJ more than anything else.

esp13
Member Avatar

Romancer66
And just as JJ never saw the Jack that Kayla knew, the one who hurt and violated her, Kayla's never seen the Daniel with the uber-short fuse, the overcompetitive jerk who has to win at all costs, the predator who screws his patients and who actively pursued another man's wife, believing himself entitled to her just because he wanted her. He may never have been the villain Jack was for a time, but he's never been the hero that Jack could sometimes be, either.

So for me, it's not as simple to say JJ's perceptions of Jack and Daniel are wholly wrong and Kayla's wholly right. TPTB may want me to think it is, but there are too many shades of gray here for me to buy that. And when it comes to asserting that Kayla is somehow "more right" and thus entitled to impose her views on someone who passionately disagrees with her, well, I can't say I buy that either. She has a right to feel what she feels, JJ has the right to feel what he feels. Sometimes all you can do with an impasse is respect it and walk away.
The "predator" thing has never been a part of the show. It's what fans who don't like him say, but it's never been something the show has indicated is an actual character trait. So to say that Kayla should see that is like saying JJ should know that Jack was a rapist because we know it. Secondly, like granola girl said, the Danloe romance was clearly mutual at all times. Chloe was not Lucas's property. Thirdly, JJ's reasons for hating Daniel have nothing to do with anything Daniel has ever done to JJ. And if I thought for a minute he actually cared about Lucas or Parker or that he truly believed Daniel was bad for his mother because of it, I might buy it. But it's been clear all along that JJ's problem with Daniel is that his mother moved on with him after Jack died.

As for respecting an impasse and walking away, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Kayla did today. She specifically said she wasn't trying to sell Daniel to him. Specifically said to forget what she had said. And she walked away. So, again, I'm not seeing how she's the villain in the play.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

I should like Theresa, she hates Dannifer... but there's something about her and her "story" right now that she rubs me the wrong way. Plain and simple, I hate the bitch so far.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Romancer66

I'm not a fan of everything Daniel has done, but I have never seen Daniel do anything comparable to raping a woman, imprisoning her and terrorizing her in her apartment, hiring goons to beat someone up, defunding public programs to toy with people he resented, or having industrial practices in his business that led to anyone's cancer. The worst thing I can think that Daniel did was lie in a professional hearing to protect a friend.
This is all true. I'm not a Dan fan (well, it's really more Fetch that I'm not a fan of), but just because Dan isn't a great character, it doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Yeah, he seems a little sleazy for getting it on with his patients, but by soap standards, that's pretty benign. I actually think he'd be a better soap character if he was as awful as some fans see him, LOL.

Romancer66

esp13
Oct 3 2013, 05:27 PM
Romancer66

The "predator" thing has never been a part of the show. It's what fans who don't like him say, but it's never been something the show has indicated is an actual character trait. So to say that Kayla should see that is like saying JJ should know that Jack was a rapist because we know it. Secondly, like granola girl said, the Danloe romance was clearly mutual at all times. Chloe was not Lucas's property. Thirdly, JJ's reasons for hating Daniel have nothing to do with anything Daniel has ever done to JJ. And if I thought for a minute he actually cared about Lucas or Parker or that he truly believed Daniel was bad for his mother because of it, I might buy it. But it's been clear all along that JJ's problem with Daniel is that his mother moved on with him after Jack died.

As for respecting an impasse and walking away, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Kayla did today. She specifically said she wasn't trying to sell Daniel to him. Specifically said to forget what she had said. And she walked away. So, again, I'm not seeing how she's the villain in the play.
Actually Billie and Nicole have, on separate occasions, commented less than glowingly on Daniel's habit of getting inappropriately close to his female patients. Even Maggie, before she became his uber-doting egg-mom, once said, "Things were easier when I thought you were a predatory jerk." So I think that "predatory" was meant to be one of Daniel's character traits, at least initially--even though TPTB are now trying to pretend otherwise.

As for JJ, there haven't been enough scenes with him and other Horton family members, beyond Jennifer and Abigail, to establish how much or how little he cares about them. But there's no reason to assume he doesn't care at all. There have been absolutely no scenes at all between him and Jack, owing to MA's axing, but it's pretty clear that JJ loved his father. So why wouldn't he dislike Daniel on his father's behalf, a dislike exacerbated by what he knew about the date off? It may not seem "rational" to an adult, but to a volatile teenage boy, all emotions and hormones, it probably makes perfect sense.

I don't see where anyone, except you, has called Kayla "the villain of the play." I don't see her as the villain, although I did find her Daniel/Fetch-propping today made her a less sympathetic figure to me than she might otherwise have been.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I don't like the character of Daniel, hell I pretty much loathe him, but that's not because he's been portrayed as a "bad" character, it's the complete opposite. He has been propped six ways to Sunday, the writing hasn't been good for him, and he's a sub par actor IMO. Having said that, I don't see where this story is all about him.

I could've done without Kayla having the conversation with him in the Pub too, but it still doesn't make him the vocal point. He is going to be a player in the story because he's the one who is currently getting all of JJ's anger.

As for Jack, I LOVE the character, but it wasn't always that way. When he raped Kayla, had Steve beat up, and was an all around ass hole, I hated him. The beauty of the character of Jack was he wasn't propped, the writing was excellent & the actor was great. The writing & MA changed my view of him. He was a complex character with ALOT of flaws. I grew to love him & totally ship him with Jennifer but the show never let you forget what he had done or how bad he felt about it.

I don't think if Jack were still alive, & the writing remained true to the original redemption story, he would be okay with JJ putting him on a pedestal. He would've probably already set him straight about things & I don't think he would fault Kayla for her slip.

I loved MBE & CM today. CM really held is on & I was very impressed. MBE was awesome, but that Didnt surprise me, she always has been when she's given the material.

six
Member Avatar

The Scorpion
Oct 3 2013, 04:36 PM
Yes, I thought Ejami/Stefano were the highlight of the show, too (although I am interested in the JJ story as well). I thought Sami's apology was very good and I loved the little moment when EJ sat back and smiled watching Sami going off on Stefano. I like them best when EJ thinks Sami's recklessness is cute.

Days should recast Chad, or give Stefano another young adult son or daughter and let them interact regularly this time.

I didn't see the Kayla/Jack story but I'm interested in seeing the next chapter unfold. CM is a great actor, so I have high hopes for it.

Schumi_F1

Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 05:22 PM
granolagirl
Romancer66
The attraction being mutual doesn't make his actions any less inappropriate. Especially his groping Chloe during her breast exam, and telling her it was all in her head. That was, in a word, gross--and I'm amazed that whoever was writing at the time thought that was even remotely sexy.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Schumi_F1

Romancer66
esp13
Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 04:03 PM
esp13
Oct 3 2013, 03:18 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Who says Kayla has to "coddle" JJ's feelings about Jack? Why not simply accept that he feels differently about his father than she does, that he always will, that his feelings are no less valid than hers, and just leave it at that? Why does JJ "have to" stop comparing Jack and Daniel? And what gives Kayla or anyone else the right to decide that this is something he "has to" do? I don't see Kayla as the villain, much as I loathe that they made her Fetch-prop today, but I do see her overstepping the mark here. And going by the dialogue, it does look as if she came thisclose to saying Jack was a monster, before substituting the phrase "all too human" at the last minute. And "monster" is no more accurate a term for Jack than "saint." (Personally, I'd just call him a flawed man who worked hard to become a better man.) None of these characters belong on pedestals, though they don't necessarily deserve to be cast into outer darkness either. Although I wouldn't mind Daniel being cast into Outer Mongolia.
Because JJ's rants against Daniel are not based on anything that Daniel has actually done and the pedestal he put his father on is not based on reality either.

Look if JJ's dislike of Daniel was either based on something rational or less OTT and JJ didn't have Jack on a saintly pedestal (regardless of whether he knew about the rape or not), I'd agree with you. JJ's entitled to dislike Daniel and love his father. But, yes, when he's vilifying Daniel for no reason and painting his father to be a saint that he wasn't, I think Kayla has the right to tell him he's wrong. She sure as hell has the right to disagree with him and explain why she think's he's wrong.

And, more than any of that, she has an absolute right not to be perfect and objective when it comes to Jack. Just because they moved past the rape doesn't meant she's required to forget it, or not have any feelings about it. I find it strange that JJ is entitled to hate Daniel for little or no reason, but Kayla's feelings about Jack aren't valid because, well, it's been awhile and he said he was sorry. She was raped and she's entitled to have whatever feelings she wants about that -- including viewing (in that moment of emotion) Jack as a monster.
JJ's actually cited several reasons for not liking Daniel, and they include things that Daniel has actually done: 1) he abandoned his kid (and only cared about him after discovering he was the bio dad). 2)he broke up JJ's uncle's marriage by screwing his wife. 3) he initiated "that stupid date-off" with Mom, intending to crush JJ's father like a bug. JJ pointed out all these things to Abigail who offered the feeble defense that "things were more complicated than that." (Which impressed me about as much as it impressed JJ.)

And I doubt JJ finds Daniel's tendency to get physical with him--which he's done at least three times--endearing either. It's unsettling that Daniel's default reaction when angry is to grab, yell, shove, shake, punch, or otherwise beat to a pulp--just ask Philip, Dario, and the drunk he slugged when he and Jennifer went clubbing. If nothing else, you'd think he'd be more careful of his "magic" hands.

All I could read is Philip :wub: :wub: :wub: The true and only Kiriakis heir, miss Jay/Philip terribly, sigh

spartan
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Oct 3 2013, 05:25 PM
Keith
I don't think this seems like a Daniel is awesome story either. I think that's definitely a beat they will play (because they pretty much find a way to play that beat every day), but so far, it seems like the story is about JJ and his relationship with his family. I'm sure he will blame them for keeping this secret. I'm guessing he may decide that everybody in his family sucks now, including his dead dad. Etc., etc. Point is, I think the story is really about JJ more than anything else.
I agree. So far....it's about JJ. Finding out this truth about his father is probably going to be the catalyst to hitting his rock bottom.

I loved MBE in her scenes with CM. I'm glad they threw in the brief flashback. It was a reminder of her pain and how easily it can bubble to the surface as it did with JJ. I felt for Kayla and I felt for JJ. It was good soap. I just hope the story continues focusing on the right players in the story. Leave Daniel out of it and it's all good.
Edited by spartan, Oct 3 2013, 06:05 PM.

Romancer66

tomsawyer
Oct 3 2013, 05:31 PM
granolagirl
Romancer66

This is all true. I'm not a Dan fan (well, it's really more Fetch that I'm not a fan of), but just because Dan isn't a great character, it doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Yeah, he seems a little sleazy for getting it on with his patients, but by soap standards, that's pretty benign. I actually think he'd be a better soap character if he was as awful as some fans see him, LOL.
He'd be more interesting, in any case. And maybe the insane, over-the-top propping would stop. Or it could be revealed as a disorder caused by drugs Daniel was slipping into the Salem water supply. Daniel, to me, is a textbook example of how a character doesn't have to be an outright villain or a criminal to be totally unrootable, unsympathetic, and unappealing. He's neither strongly good, nor compellingly bad. His vices are just sleazy enough to be consistently off-putting, and his virtues--such as they are--are too anemic to counteract the sleaziness. As it stands, he's not a villain, but he's sufficiently amoral that I could picture him sort of oozing insidiously over the line that separates good guys from bad guys. He wouldn't fall from grace--he'd slither from it.

Kinay

PALMommy
Oct 3 2013, 12:53 PM
Totally loving the Jennifer baiting, but it is feeling somewhat over the top - it really needs to be a more of a gradual destruction and needs to be more subtle.
The whole Theresa/ Anne thing is over the top and excruciatingly annoying. The whole thing is childish not to mention unrealistic. Who ever in HR would hire an employee just to make someone's life miserable? It's really a stupid storyline and even Jen doesn't deserve this shit. For Theresa to tell Jen how to raise her kid when she' s such a screw up herself is laughable. Theresa needs to straighten her own life and Anne needs to get one or disappear. :eyeroll: :flipoff:

MissLola
Member Avatar

I don't think that Dan is a bad guy nor do I really hate him. I more hate that someone got the idea to take a slightly above average actor, with slightly above average looks (IMO) and tried to force him into a lead role by way of absurdly over favorable writing when he is much more suited as a supporting player. I didn't even mind Fetch at first until they started heavily handed tipping the scales in his favor. He does not have the charisma or screen presence to pull this off.

esp13
Member Avatar

Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 05:46 PM
I don't see where anyone, except you, has called Kayla "the villain of the play." I don't see her as the villain, although I did find her Daniel/Fetch-propping today made her a less sympathetic figure to me than she might otherwise have been.
But what I don't understand is the idea that she is propping Daniel. She told JJ she wasn't selling Daniel to him. And all she said to Daniel is that he wasn't a monster. How the hell is that propping. Not to mention she has a good reason to like Daniel better. And even if she was propping him how does that make her "less sympathetic"? She was clearly upset by her slip and didn't want JJ to know what she meant. I just, for the life of me, can't figure out what the fact that she is friends with Daniel has to do with whether she is sympathetic or not.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply